Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Good bartenders will help encourage customers to come back, but to make bartenders responsible for drawing a crowd (outside of bars where the bartenders ARE the draw - high profile cocktail bars, flair bars, Coyote Ugly, etc.) is to invite the risk that your employees are going to give away the bar. If it's a requirement of my job to get 50 people in the door or I lose the shift, you're goddamn right I'm gonna be comping shooters left and right. Is it ethical? That's questionable, but owners and management need to put their fair share in as well. It's a bartender's job to help people have a good time while they're in the room, and to make them want to come back. It's not my responsibility to plaster your bar all over my social media to get people in the door in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
I'd never have hired a poor bartender just because they were pervasive on social media vs a qualified one, but I am so happy the "ultra cool bartender who ignores everyone" is on its way out... At least here in the Bay. If you aren't overwhelmingly busy and I wait 5+ minutes for a drink in a dive bar, I just want to take them by the shoulders, shake hard and say "WHY DO YOU HATE MONEY?!?"

Also, yes, strong bartender who promotes their shifts and brings people in vs person who stands around hands empty, the choice isn't difficult. Would I have made it a REQUIREMENT? No. But yeah, someone who does what they can to bring folks in? We all make money.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

[e] nevermind

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Jan 14, 2015

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
A friend of mine is looking to hire me as a consultant to develop the bar for his new restaurant - including advising on basic layout, equipment, appliances, developing menus, hiring/training bar staff and working a few shifts to supervise them. Problem is that while I'm up to the task, I've never done it all as a package deal and have no idea of how much to charge him. I was hoping some of you guys with experience in running your own places would have an idea of what kind of price range I should be thinking of?

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
Thirty five hundred dollars

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
"I've never owned a bar, much less worked at one, and need to hire someone to tell me what to do. I have more money than sense."

It's really ripe for the picking. Good luck.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

mooyashi posted:

"I've never owned a bar, much less worked at one, and need to hire someone to tell me what to do. I have more money than sense."

It's really ripe for the picking. Good luck.

And also, this. What market? I can totally take that money if you don't feel entitled to it.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
It's supposed to be a 70-80 seat casual spot in the suburb, and he has strong community ties so I'm not concerned that he'll crash and burn for want of business. Given a bar staff of 4-6 and the need to train them up from scratch with the lack of talent in the burbs, I was thinking more along the lines of 5-6K for a month and a bit would be fair. Of course I'm also wary of gouging too badly since I'm competing for a coownership with him for a proper downtown spot either concurrently or a with a few months lag time between projects.

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "

Der Luftwaffle posted:

Given a bar staff of 4-6

lol

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
"must have a following"

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
look i want even people i don't know to make their scratch but how long have you known this person and how many times have they started a successful business?

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
Known him about 2 years while he was chef at one of my workplaces. Right now hes been running a small bar with a partner. This new thing is another partnership with a local restaurant chain.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
I mean, how much work would you be doing? Writing a my, training staff, retainer for periodic retraining and seasonal menu changes? Figure out how long it's going to take, figure out what your time is worth by the hour, then multiply.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

Vegetable Melange posted:

I mean, how much work would you be doing? Writing a my, training staff, retainer for periodic retraining and seasonal menu changes? Figure out how long it's going to take, figure out what your time is worth by the hour, then multiply.

Everything you mentioned, yeah. Hourly projection for a month of management salary makes sense, thanks!

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Vegie Mel Aged teach me how to take all the stuff I've learnt over the years and forgotten and turn it into a consulting career so I can tell people what to do and stuff and spend my days pointing at things before flying around the continent and pointing at things internationally tia.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

nrr posted:

Vegie Mel Aged teach me how to take all the stuff I've learnt over the years and forgotten and turn it into a consulting career so I can tell people what to do and stuff and spend my days pointing at things before flying around the continent and pointing at things internationally tia.

I want to say you're joking but that's comically close to how I pay my rent, so

(PS I'll be in touch next week m8, got good news)

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Hah. Jokes? No I was being deadly serious. Show me how to make money by putting my hands on my hips and intermittently pointing at things. I'm Australian, we don't know how to jokes.

(Ps: :toot: )

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
For reals I racked two hours today eating canapés and talking points of service. I GOT PAID TO HAVE AN OPINION ON FOOD. the struggle is real, y'all.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

actually, the local ski hill gives me an $1800 seasons pass to give them my opinions on their food and service, which they also give me for free, so I guess you can say I already have experience in the field.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Sometimes, I go to the bar to eat and read. If it's not super busy (let's say 50-70% occupied) at the bar and I'm drinking a beer an hour, should I add a bit of an extra tip on top of the normal one?

Now, if l get a 25 dollar tab, I'll just tip another 5 bucks (which I feel is an average tip, correct me if I'm wrong), but I wonder if I should be tipping more because I'm taking up a spot at the bar but not really buying much. OTOH, if the bar isn't full, should I be worried about it at all?

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

totalnewbie posted:

Sometimes, I go to the bar to eat and read. If it's not super busy (let's say 50-70% occupied) at the bar and I'm drinking a beer an hour, should I add a bit of an extra tip on top of the normal one?

Now, if l get a 25 dollar tab, I'll just tip another 5 bucks (which I feel is an average tip, correct me if I'm wrong), but I wonder if I should be tipping more because I'm taking up a spot at the bar but not really buying much. OTOH, if the bar isn't full, should I be worried about it at all?

you're tipping 20%, don't worry about it

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever

totalnewbie posted:

Don't worry about it. Unless it's higher end restaurant, then the bartender won't care since they make most of their tips from people coming up to the bar and ordering 6 light beers and dropping 6 bucks. It will depend on the place and the size of the bar and number of seats at it. As long as you are open to moving so other people can sit next to one another, then it doesn't matter.

Tangy Zizzle
Aug 22, 2007
- brad
Oh god, my dudes, I've just taken an AMG position at a medium sized trendy sports bar - forgive me in advance if I betray an air of unprofessionalism as I vent here.

Toronto, 12 taps, 115 seat capacity, some nights we have trouble filling even on big game nights, off game nights are very quiet. No patio.

Two managers are exiting and taking the majority of the staff, the managers are also owners and have already sold their points.

It's my ship to sail or sink - my first orders of business are hiring, inventory control, and proper calendar planning, but I'll be focusing on the nuts and bolts pretty soon.

Wish me luck!

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
How many owners are left? What are the remaining owners like? Have they tended bar?

Tangy Zizzle
Aug 22, 2007
- brad

mooyashi posted:

How many owners are left? What are the remaining owners like? Have they tended bar?

Five owners left, none of which have a hand in the day to day operation. None of the owners will be bartending, though they all each own other bars and have been in the industry a long time.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Spring break is officially here, I just did 1800 in sales in five hours from 12 to 5 on a loving Wednesday afternoon. Our sales so far are crushing last year's numbers, it's a bit overwhelming in this tiny bar :v:

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
My brother is thinking about bartending this summer while he's home for the summer from college. Are there any tips (hehe) that you would give to someone who's never done this thing before that you wish someone had told you before you started this sort of job?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Kanine posted:

My brother is thinking about bartending this summer while he's home for the summer from college. Are there any tips (hehe) that you would give to someone who's never done this thing before that you wish someone had told you before you started this sort of job?

A - good luck getting a summer bartending job at a place worth working at
B - expect to barback first, and good luck getting THAT job just for a summer
C - waiting tables, delivering pizza, or detailing cars is probably easier to get started on

I'm sure it's different if you live in an area that's dependent on seasonal tourism but when I was managing, anyone who told me they wanted to bartend just for the summer would be disqualified immediately. Especially if they have no experience.

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
"Hi I'd like to be a pharma rep for the summer"

40 OZ
May 16, 2003

Kanine posted:

Silly question- does he know how to bartend? If he does, then he should lie and say he has experience and try to get on somewhere.

If he doesn't, then, um, well, this isn't the coolest idea ever, but alot of big bars have drink lists and basically beginner's guides for bartending that they hand out to barbacks and servers who earn a bump to BT. If he has any friends who BT they might be able to get him one.

This sounds way goofier than just buying some book off amazon, but I've seen 3-4 of these things and they are pretty functional, and I have no idea about such retail books.

If he is strong and in good shape he could consider barbacking. I wouldn't do it at a high volume place myself for very long, because it is a fast track to destroying your shoulders or getting hurt in general. Sometimes, they can earn more than BTs, though, and it puts you in a bar and you learn how things work. After awhile you will know enough to lie your way on to a BT job. Again, barbacking sucks balls compared to bartending though. You have to stay and clean the bars up, which are often totally destroyed. Take out the garbage, clean up broken glass or milk, clean the bar mats- in other words, you might see the sun come up.

Don't do security. They don't get paid anything and you can get your rear end beat. Well, checking ID's isn't so bad, but it isn't a good path to becoming a BT.

The other thing is to just be a server. If he has never done that, well it is tough to be a bartender. You need to be fast on the POS machine to be a good BT, and in general, a BT should know how to serve food to some extent (even though everyone hates it). If you serve at a place that is a restaurant in the day and a bar at night, you can usually ask to stay after the dinner shift to be a beer maid. You are halfway there at that point. You got the POS machine, you are serving alcohol to paying customers. (you just get tipped like poo poo)

40 OZ fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Mar 17, 2015

SUBLIME!
Mar 7, 2009

my quiver is full~

Kanine posted:

So far I've worked two years in the service industry: One as a server making barely anything and learning from the rather popular bartender in order to get my foot in the door, and the other as a bartender in a restaurant that barely had bar seats and where all my income was basically tip outs from the servers.

During that time I became a regular at one of the more popular places in a nearby town, and a couple of weeks ago I was finally hired on to the day (slower) shift with a pretty awesome hourly. It's been a bit and they gave me a recipe list to memorize before I can even think about having a night shift (where these guys walk out with an obscene amount of cash).

So everything the op said to do works (thanks bartender thread!), but I don't think you can fit all that into the three months before the fall semester starts. I guess you could lie on an application and fake it 'til you make it but you don't make money from just existing as a bartender; no one tips a bartender who makes drinks at a snail's pace or is completely impersonal because he's got his nose to a recipe sheet after each one.

I guess it depends on where you live and whatever else so if he gets lucky and succeeds, great! I went from being a teetotaler to a functioning alcoholic but I've met some incredibly crazy people and I'm having a lot of fun. Being in bars all the time kinda wears you out though and you can't sleep very well and may die soon :unsmith:

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

quote:

I went from being a teetotaler to a functioning alcoholic but I've met some incredibly crazy people and I'm having a lot of fun. Being in bars all the time kinda wears you out though and you can't sleep very well and may die soon :unsmith:

:getin: hell yes.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

40 OZ posted:

Silly question- does he know how to bartend? If he does, then he should lie and say he has experience and try to get on somewhere.

Lying is generally a bad idea, because (here at least) it's REAL easy to tell if someone has no clue what they are doing behind a bar and will promptly be fired for lying.

Starting as a barback is the best way to get your foot in the door and gain experience.

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000
Having been a bartender for about 15 years now the best tip I ever give to newbies is to think of the job the same way you think of actors. You will make a lot of friends and contacts in this job, but you have to pretend to be everyone's friend. That is, at least, up until about midnight when you have to start being a dick. Bartenders get away with almost anything, so long as you can talk your way out of anything and rock a genuine smile the entire time.

Like James Woods I've worked in almost every type of liquor dispensing facility and am open to answering questions as well. I might even expand on stories about cooking "the best loving steak" John Malkovich ever had or being accused of cheating at pool by Donald Sutherland. Ask away!

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
what is it like to clean up pee dribbles from the dude in Buffy The Vampire Slayer

Frozen Horse
Aug 6, 2007
Just a humble wandering street philosopher.
I was at my local dive and a question occurred to me. How many of your workplaces have a bat or other similar implement behind the bar? In or out of view of the customers? Does it get much use?

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
We had a full size bat next to one of the coolers, and one of those tiny novelty giveaway bats above the sink. Neither ever got pulled in an altercation, but it was nice to know they were there.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Frozen Horse posted:

I was at my local dive and a question occurred to me. How many of your workplaces have a bat or other similar implement behind the bar? In or out of view of the customers? Does it get much use?

first bar I worked at had a bat under the bar - never used it even during fights or worse

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000

Frozen Horse posted:

Never had to pull out a bat, but I did chase a guy out one night with an oversized pepper mill!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
I always wondered why some Italian places had those.

• Locked thread