Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

CLAM DOWN posted:

It's finally fixed!!!

What is? You mean they added that bell button? Does it let you change notification volume without stopping media playback? Or go silent??

I'm really sick of the volume control system in Lollipop. I can understand people saying 'this would be good' but I don't understand how they didn't try it out and go 'oh wait, it's actually really stupid and annoying'. If they've put in some kind of fix for that then my only other issue is Hangouts notifications popping up over video/the menu bar of an app

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

baka kaba posted:

Does it let you change notification volume without stopping media playback?

It does this. If you hit it, there's a dropdown with the notification volume.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

baka kaba posted:

What is? You mean they added that bell button? Does it let you change notification volume without stopping media playback? Or go silent??

I'm really sick of the volume control system in Lollipop. I can understand people saying 'this would be good' but I don't understand how they didn't try it out and go 'oh wait, it's actually really stupid and annoying'. If they've put in some kind of fix for that then my only other issue is Hangouts notifications popping up over video/the menu bar of an app

In 5.1, if you tap the bell button, you can now adjust notification volume without stopping and closing your music!

e:fb

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Just curious if my phone is the only one that says "E-use" instead of "use" during google maps turn by turn directions. Sounds weird.

Merv Burger
Jan 3, 2008

MC Hawking posted:

My nexus is developing some screen issues so I'm thinking about contracting in for a sgs6. Any word on pricing?

Nothing official on pricing in the US, but you can make some assumptions on the retail prices based on how much Canadian carriers are charging: $700-$750 for the S6 32GB and $800-$850 for the S6 Edge 32GB, with $100 for each step up in storage.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

peepsalot posted:

Just curious if my phone is the only one that says "E-use" instead of "use" during google maps turn by turn directions. Sounds weird.

Mine doesn't do that, but it does like to pronounce freeway exits strangely: "Cedar St" becomes "Cedar Saint".

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

bull3964 posted:

It does this. If you hit it, there's a dropdown with the notification volume.

CLAM DOWN posted:

In 5.1, if you tap the bell button, you can now adjust notification volume without stopping and closing your music!

e:fb

Thanks phone friends, now I'm actually jonesing for the update

I guess it's too much to hope that the silent option is back in the power off menu...

echo465
Jun 3, 2007
I like ice cream

peepsalot posted:

Mine does that! Nexus 6 running 5.0.1 on Sprint.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

peepsalot posted:

Mine does this, Note 4, 4.4.4.

Also pronounces Mc Donald as emcee Donald.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

You get some funny things with it trying to automatically parse highway directions. If a sign says the highway is toward NY City instead of New York City, it will tell you to, for example, "Take I-91 south toward North Y. City"

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

TraderStav posted:

Post your review when you get it, I'm interested but not necessarily $57.50 shipped interested.

I ordered it Friday and it got here today. It included 2 extra screws, a plastic insert to hold it in charging docks, and a ridiculous red faux leather back cover. The back cover matches the color of the bumper, so I'd imagine the black one wouldn't look as bad.

The build quality is as you'd expect for the price. It's exactly the same size as the tpu case I linked earlier, except the for buttons sticking out, obviously. The camera button first stage is very easy to accidentally hit. I had to rebind my flashlight shortcut from 'click' to l'ong press' with Xposed Additions, which is fine. There's an indent on the headphone port, so it'll accept any size jack I've ever seen. That's a nice touch.

My biggest gripe is that it didn't fit with the magnector x2. The fuckers on xda said it would. There's 2 little edge pieces sticking out next to the magnet, so I shaved the bottom one down to the little strip that runs parallel to it. After that, I was able to get it to fit reliably, so it's really not that big of a deal.

I don't have an actual Sony OEM dock yet, so I can't say if it'll fit in the dock or not, but given that the docks don't seem to have those little lip pieces next to the magnet like the adapters do, I'm fairly sure they will be compatible with each other.

Overall, I'm quite happy with the purchase, but I readily admit that spending that much on a case is basically insane. If you prefer to use a magnetic charger of some kind, and can justify spending loving $60 on a case, get one. Don't set it on any rocks.

If you have any measure of self control, get that tpu case that Tunga recommended, or just keep whatever you have now.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Merv Burger posted:

Nothing official on pricing in the US, but you can make some assumptions on the retail prices based on how much Canadian carriers are charging: $700-$750 for the S6 32GB and $800-$850 for the S6 Edge 32GB, with $100 for each step up in storage.

This is probably a dumb question. But why are some smart phones with relatively similar specs $300 and others $800? Is the Moto X just a complete outlier? If so, why?

edit: Or maybe the new Moto X is more like $500, nevermind.

second edit: is this a good choice? It's the cheapest 32 gig version. I'm on T-Mobile, but it will work with that because it's unlocked, right? Or should I ask the guy in the T-Mobile thread to make sure there isn't anything weird there?

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Mar 17, 2015

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

How do I turn off the "message from X, say ok to listen" on my Moto X 2013. For a specific person. This new person sends a text every 90 seconds and I'm going crazy.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

beedeebee posted:

Just upgraded my Moto G to Lollipop. It looks great, but it hosed up my notification led. Even though it's turned on in the settings, it doesn't blink when I receive messages etc. Is this normal or am I missing something?

Some GS5 users in this thread have reported the same issue so it could be another Lollipop quirk.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Desk Lamp posted:

Some GS5 users in this thread have reported the same issue so it could be another Lollipop quirk.
Someone up the thread pointed out that the way it updated for people on Samsung meant that some updated so that it was broken completely, some updated so that it was stuck on (lol), and some that it worked fine. Whoever mentioned it had some level of detail as to why this was, but it's funny all the same.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

peepsalot posted:

They must have just changed it because I never noticed it saying that before. I only just noticed it in the past few days on my 2013 X.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Whoops!

So my N5 decided to lock up and reboot. Good thing I went Nexus because I'd rather have a non-functioning phone than deal with TouchWiz or the walled Crapple garden.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Hadlock posted:

How do I turn off the "message from X, say ok to listen" on my Moto X 2013. For a specific person. This new person sends a text every 90 seconds and I'm going crazy.

That's the driving thing from Moto Assist, try turning that off?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

Whoops!

So my N5 decided to lock up and reboot. Good thing I went Nexus because I'd rather have a non-functioning phone than deal with TouchWiz or the walled Crapple garden.

Now I'm not saying that this problem doesn't exist (clearly it does since Google already fixed it) but this...

quote:

We explored the forums and noticed that several users are experiencing the problem. “My system clogged up over 800MB today but my phone was not slow and it didn’t redraw and restart apps,” one user, who apparently didn’t experience a crash, said.

...just shows a total lack of understanding about how memory usage works on Android (and Unix-likes in general). That a user doesn't understand this is somewhat reasonable, but that the author thinks this is a meaningful quote says a lot about the quality of the writing on that site.

Also this was already posted a couple of days ago, from a good blog.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
Wow, watching all the new devices has been underwhelming. The M9 and G Flex 2 get stupidly hot, Samsung actually came off alright, and would I be mistaken in being tempted by the 4 GB RAM model Zenfone 2? The Intel processor could make or break it, but otherwise...

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

bull3964 posted:

Mmmm, that M9 gets TOASTY.

http://www.droid-life.com/2015/03/16/you-may-need-to-buy-oven-mitts-with-your-htc-one-m9/

Benchmark peaked it out at 130 F. On the outside...

Welp, there goes that idea. Maybe Sony will make something appealing.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Everyone understands that everything that uses the Snapdragon 810 is going to do that, right? I hate to say it but the S6 might be the go-to phone this round depending on how unTouchWizzed it's been.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

How hotword detection for Google Now works:

1: Say "OK Google Now"
2: As you phone chimes, three people with iPhones will simultaneously ask "what did you say?"
3: Explain Google Now to iPhone users while typing in your search

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

GWBBQ posted:

You get some funny things with it trying to automatically parse highway directions. If a sign says the highway is toward NY City instead of New York City, it will tell you to, for example, "Take I-91 south toward North Y. City"

Im german and while driving around in Wales the phone couldnt deal with the english street names. It pronounced everything very...german. Except for Avenue...it pronounced that one French!

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Tunga posted:

Now I'm not saying that this problem doesn't exist (clearly it does since Google already fixed it) but this...

...just shows a total lack of understanding about how memory usage works on Android (and Unix-likes in general). That a user doesn't understand this is somewhat reasonable, but that the author thinks this is a meaningful quote says a lot about the quality of the writing on that site.

Also this was already posted a couple of days ago, from a good blog.

Yeah...TechnoBuffalo is pretty lovely as well. They used to have some other guy posting videos up on YouTube which were basically piggybacking off of people like Marques Brownlee (MKBHD) and Erica the Tech Nerd. He didn't really know what he was talking about otherwise.

Speaking of Erica, I got a chance to extensively test out the Nexus 6 at a local store here for about 20 minutes (no one else cared about it and most people played with whatever current LG phone there is...saw 3 people buying it, 2 playing with it, and 1 asking questions about it). She was right in saying the video on the N6 has weird focusing problems. It tries to focus so much, it looks like the camera has some kind of heartbeat or something. I personally don't think it's annoying but it is noticeable.

I also tested out the sound on it since the place I was at was loud as gently caress. The sound basically was nonexistent even if you put it up to your ear at the last few levels. But on high it was perfect to hear even in the loud environment.

I didn't see any burn-in though which was a bit comforting. Granted no one used the drat thing except me and I later leaned I was the only one interested in it for about a week. :v: So not much usage out of it there.

The vibrator seemed...okay? It was there but it wasn't like the Moto X 2013's as I can hear my roommate's vibrate through the wall.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

LastInLine posted:

I hate to say it but the S6 might be the go-to phone this round depending on how unTouchWizzed it's been.

Seems like I read this every year...

Just buy a Motorola phone.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

ThermoPhysical posted:

piggybacking off of people like Marques Brownlee (MKBHD) and Erica the Tech Nerd.

Am I the only one who finds Marques Brownlee to be an insufferable shithead? Same for that Aaron kid he's buddies with.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Variable_H posted:

Am I the only one who finds Marques Brownlee to be an insufferable shithead? Same for that Aaron kid he's buddies with.
Yes. How can anyone hate someone that cute?

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Oh, haha, the other kids name is Austin. And MKBHD comes off to me as some super rich-as-gently caress college kid who blows all kinds of money on doing "tech reviews" where the end result of every one is that it's a pretty good phone!

There was also that time he pointed his camera at a G3's screen to show 1440p at 500-something ppi was better than 1080p at like 400-something ppi, despite human eyes not being able to actually discern the difference at an operating distance.

I also don't need the kid to "explain" what kindles are or whatever he does in those explains videos.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Variable_H posted:

Oh, haha, the other kids name is Austin. And MKBHD comes off to me as some super rich-as-gently caress college kid who blows all kinds of money on doing "tech reviews" where the end result of every one is that it's a pretty good phone!

There was also that time he pointed his camera at a G3's screen to show 1440p at 500-something ppi was better than 1080p at like 400-something ppi, despite human eyes not being able to actually discern the difference at an operating distance.

I also don't need the kid to "explain" what kindles are or whatever he does in those explains videos.

that's exactly what he is. he constantly is :jerkbag: at his $15,000 iMac setup and his camera equipment

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

MKBHD is great but he's losing focus a bit, being eaten by his own celebrity. Like his videos of fancy concept cars where he just shows them and that's it. Who cares? It doesn't appeal to car fans due to the lack of detail, or his traditional audience.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Variable_H posted:

MKBHD comes off to me as some super rich-as-gently caress college kid who blows all kinds of money on doing "tech reviews" where the end result of every one is that it's a pretty good phone!

That's the thing though, his reviews aren't necessarily subjective but what he thinks of them himself. He doesn't do arbitrary numbers or grading scales, he just tells people what he likes and doesn't like while doing a thorough but not too technical explanation.

I wouldn't be surprised if his success or his rich-as-gently caress-ness comes from simply doing these reviews, he's got like 2 million subscribers. He's been doing them since he was like 15. Yeah maybe it's a little crass that his equipment is overkill (pretty sure he shoots his videos with a RED camera) but he's got fantastic presentation skills both in himself and with the quality of his videos. What college kid who loves tech wouldn't want to spend money on some high end poo poo though?

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Variable_H posted:

Him and Erica both.

Variable_H posted:

And MKBHD comes off to me as some super rich-as-gently caress college kid who blows all kinds of money on doing "tech reviews" where the end result of every one is that it's a pretty good phone!

I guess he's making money now but back then was he spending his "hard earned allowance" on all this poo poo or what?

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Lblitzer posted:

That's the thing though, his reviews aren't necessarily subjective but what he thinks of them himself. He doesn't do arbitrary numbers or grading scales, he just tells people what he likes and doesn't like while doing a thorough but not too technical explanation.

I wouldn't be surprised if his success or his rich-as-gently caress-ness comes from simply doing these reviews, he's got like 2 million subscribers. He's been doing them since he was like 15. Yeah maybe it's a little crass that his equipment is overkill (pretty sure he shoots his videos with a RED camera) but he's got fantastic presentation skills both in himself and with the quality of his videos. What college kid who loves tech wouldn't want to spend money on some high end poo poo though?

He apparently makes some serious money from his YouTube ad revenue, according to his Reddit AMA

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

SB35 posted:

I guess he's making money now but back then was he spending his "hard earned allowance" on all this poo poo or what?

Yeah, that's what I want to know. He never says if he's purchased the devices or if they're being given to him by OEMs or what. I guess part of it is envy for having the kind of expendable income he must have as a college student, but at the same time I can't help but wonder if some of the reviews he does aren't really honest.

Same goes for Erica, but at least she makes incredibly long and in depth videos.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
For reference, that hands-on video of the new Macbook he posted has 1.2m views. That's way more than enough Youtube ad revenue to buy himself one of those. And that's just one (relatively popular) video. His explanation of USB-C has 800k views and that's probably worth close to $1000.

Maintaining yourself as a successful Youtube celebrity is worth a loving TON of money.

e: $12k from a 5 minute video explaining the iPhone 6's screen glass

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Mar 17, 2015

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

http://techcrunch.com/2015/03/17/app-submissions-on-google-play-now-reviewed-by-staff-will-include-age-based-ratings/

What the gently caress? Android's biggest selling point has been anti-walled garden. Now I'm just using a piece of poo poo ripoff of the iPhone.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
It's been a selling point and this doesn't really change that. There have always been rules in places apps needed to follow, now they can catch those easier, without the ridiculous delays Apple has doing their (probably more thorough) version of reviews.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

ruby idiot railed posted:

For reference, that hands-on video of the new Macbook he posted has 1.2m views. That's way more than enough Youtube ad revenue to buy himself one of those. And that's just one (relatively popular) video. His explanation of USB-C has 800k views and that's probably worth close to $1000.

Maintaining yourself as a successful Youtube celebrity is worth a loving TON of money.

Jesus Christ....all this really makes me think of is how awful I'd be at making these kinds of videos, even if I had the money.

"Yeah, uhh. It's got a higher pixel density, but really it's a piece of poo poo and you shouldn't buy it."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

ruby idiot railed posted:

poo poo I better grab my finest biker jacket and give that nerd atomic wedgies until he pays me to stop and/or bully other reviewers.