Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Dr. Stab posted:

Okay but what if I have Infinite Reflection on Jushi Apprentice, then manifest a double faced card?

Then it enters the battlefield as a Jushi Apprentice. Manifest/Morph creatures aren't tokens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Dr. Stab posted:

What's wrong here

Those are two different cards with different names? The names are swapped I guess, Demonic is Diabolique?

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Cernunnos posted:

Then it enters the battlefield as a Jushi Apprentice. Manifest/Morph creatures aren't tokens.

Yeah. So I can flip it, unmorph it, and transform it.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

kzin602 posted:

If you play Ixi when the DFC is in planeswalker mode, nothing happens.
If you play Ixi while the DFC is in creature mode, it becomes a morph creature thing; because it was not manifested and has no morph cost, it's trapped that way unless it leaves the battlefield.

This part isn't true today. "711.9. Double-faced permanents can't be turned face down. If a spell or ability tries to turn a double-faced permanent face down, nothing happens."

Manifested cards aren't turned face down, they enter the battlefield face down, so they ignore this rule. Once a DFC is face up, it can't be turned face down again.

Dr. Stab posted:

daftpunk.dec

kzin602
May 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Stab posted:

Okay but what if I have Infinite Reflection on Jushi Apprentice, then manifest a double faced card?

I'll bite: Manifests and morphs are not tokens, they would enter as copies of Jushi Apprentence.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Dr. Stab posted:

You'll unmorph it into... another Jushi Apprentice. :v:

E: Actually I don't think you can even unmorph it as long as reflection is on the field.

Cernunnos fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Mar 17, 2015

boblemoche
Apr 11, 2008

Serperoth posted:

Those are two different cards with different names? The names are swapped I guess, Demonic is Diabolique?

Yep, it's a cute reference to translation fuckup from long ago.

kzin602
May 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

LordSaturn posted:

This part isn't true today. "711.9. Double-faced permanents can't be turned face down. If a spell or ability tries to turn a double-faced permanent face down, nothing happens."

Manifested cards aren't turned face down, they enter the battlefield face down, so they ignore this rule. Once a DFC is face up, it can't be turned face down again.

daftpunk.dec

You are right, gently caress this game.

As an aside, when you manifest the top card with a courser out I would assume the card gets turned face down. I saw on an SCG stream they had those cards face up but with a manifest token on top of them. I'm guessing that is because both players would know anyways?

kzin602 fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Mar 17, 2015

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I love how awkward some of the jargon is in other languages. It always feels so silly to read "bibliotheque" on a french card.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Entropic posted:

I love how awkward some of the jargon is in other languages. It always feels so silly to read "bibliotheque" on a french card.

It's awkward in english, too. We've just gotten used to it.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Serperoth posted:

Demonic and Diabolic are practically synonyms.

Anyway I love the French name of Defang:

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Mar 17, 2015

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

kzin602 posted:

As an aside, when you manifest the top card with a courser out I would assume the card gets turned face down. I saw on an SCG stream they had those cards face up but with a manifest token on top of them. I'm guessing that is because both players would know anyways?

Yes, it was shortcutting because otherwise the opponent would have to write down "Manifest 12 is a courser, Manifest 13 is a Polukranos, etc.".

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

gang sines posted:

lol guys i don't get why people would pay money for thing?? <-- a sick "burn" or "diss"

"I'm a gay retard baby and pays for free content online and defends it on a paid forum." It's not hard to answer, now you try.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
i don't pay for streams i just don't have a droopy dick

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Kurtofan posted:

Anyway I love the French name of Defang:

kzin602
May 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Devor posted:

Yes, it was shortcutting because otherwise the opponent would have to write down "Manifest 12 is a courser, Manifest 13 is a Polukranos, etc.".

I've offered to play with 'known' cards face up infront of me after being thoughtseized rather than make my opponent keep notes and they looked at me like I had grown an extra head. I guess human decency has no place in MTG.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Honestly they should just ban Mastery of the Unseen and be done with it. The deck is fine against everything BUT the mirror.

Oh my god, the mirror.

kzin602 posted:

I've offered to play with 'known' cards face up infront of me after being thoughtseized rather than make my opponent keep notes and they looked at me like I had grown an extra head. I guess human decency has no place in MTG.

I make people either remember it or write it down in serious games, casual I don't give a gently caress.

If there's dollars on the line then you better believe you write down I have a knuckleblade and two stubborn denials. Maybe you forget about the second denial somewhere down the line.

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Mar 17, 2015

kzin602
May 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Count Bleck posted:

Honestly they should just ban Mastery of the Unseen and be done with it. The deck is fine against everything BUT the mirror.

Oh my god, the mirror.

I make people either remember it or write it down in serious games, casual I don't give a gently caress.

If there's dollars on the line then you better believe you write down I have a knuckleblade and two stubborn denials. Maybe you forget about the second denial somewhere down the line.

If they are not reaching for the notepad then I just put the cards back in hand, if they are starting to write things down I'd rather just move on. This is at FNM level games, I would not do this as any kind of event that matters more than a handful of booster packs.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Count Bleck posted:

Oh my god, the mirror.

The GW mirror is only bad if no one is running anything like Elspeth that can break it open.

At competitive REL I won't play with my known hand face up, but I will do things like play known manifests from Courser face up. The alternative of making them write it down just drags out the game for everyone and I don't want to draw.

If an opponent was a dick about it and made me write it down, I would write the card names on scraps of paper and put them on top of his cards, at which point his skullduggery is accomplishing nothing.

kzin602 posted:

If they are not reaching for the notepad then I just put the cards back in hand, if they are starting to write things down I'd rather just move on. This is at FNM level games, I would not do this as any kind of event that matters more than a handful of booster packs.
Yeah, exactly. If they actually are going to go to the trouble of writing it down, then you might as well just save time for everyone.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It seems kindof strange to me that you can't turn DFCs face-down, it would make more sense if transforming and "morphing" were just two completely different things with no strange interactions.

I mean DFCs have to have some kind of "face down" mode or you wouldn't be able to put them in your deck.

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Mar 17, 2015

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

gang sines posted:

I play wizard poker and have a droopy baby dick

:agreed: , me too. This is our support group

kzin602 posted:

nah brah, this is also how I play. It is the baby dick casual way but I'm willing to admit it.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Count Bleck posted:

I'm going to stubbornly deny that you had any in the first place.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Posting foreign cards and nobody's posted the Sexbomb.

I am disappointed.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Irony Be My Shield posted:

It seems kindof strange to me that you can't turn DFCs face-down, it would make more sense if transforming and "morphing" were just two completely different things with no strange interactions.

I mean DFCs have to have some kind of "face down" mode or you wouldn't be able to put them in your deck.

I just realized DFC walkers means check cards are back, bleh.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Count Bleck posted:

Yeah, but if the only DFC cards are the walkers, there will only be 5 choices on the check card, right? So, it won't be in 0.00001 font.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Count Bleck posted:

Maybe not. The new card frames might mean that they can actually put the placeholder version in the same pack as the actual card. That was a thing that they wanted to do in ISD but couldn't because the printer couldn't guarantee that it would be consistent enough.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Dr. Stab posted:

Maybe not. The new card frames might mean that they can actually put the placeholder version in the same pack as the actual card. That was a thing that they wanted to do in ISD but couldn't because the printer couldn't guarantee that it would be consistent enough.

One would hope this is the case but packs still don't have associated tokens with appropriate token generators (Goblin in packs with Hordeling Outburst, etc.) or at least Emblems with Planeswalkers so... :shrug:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

Oh my god, the mirror.

Wizards should keep it unbanned as a representation of the culmination of their years of careful format sculpting and push for midrange

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

AlternateNu posted:

Yeah, but if the only DFC cards are the walkers, there will only be 5 choices on the check card, right? So, it won't be in 0.00001 font.

Given that they already have to collate it so that check cards appear in specific packs, I rather wonder if they couldn't just have a check card that directly corresponds to the specific PW.

....oh wow, that was a good one, thinking they'd do something that effort intensive.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

Isn't French for Blood, Sang? Why are these French translations so... medical?

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Kind of annoying that the double faced cards came about only after almost everyone was using sleeves.

Foreskin Problems
Nov 4, 2012

It's doing fine, actually.
Military Intelligence won't trigger off of Hero of Bladehold's ability, right? If it's the only attacking creature, I mean.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

alphabrawl posted:

Military Intelligence won't trigger off of Hero of Bladehold's ability, right?

Nope.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

alphabrawl posted:

Military Intelligence won't trigger off of Hero of Bladehold's ability, right? If it's the only attacking creature, I mean.

Correct. There is a difference between 'attacks' and 'attacking'. Creatures can enter the battlefield already attacking, but that doesn't trigger effects that happen when creatures attack. See: Jace AoT +1 from last Standard.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Rimusutera posted:

Isn't French for Blood, Sang? Why are these French translations so... medical?

"Hémato-" is the prefix for blood, my guess is that it takes less space than "sanguin" or "de sang".Prefixes tend to avoid having too many nouns "baron de sang de vizkopia" doesn't sound so great.

Also it sounds kind of cool :shrug:

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

Kurtofan posted:

"Hémato-" is the prefix for blood, my guess is that it takes less space than "sanguin" or "de sang".Prefixes tend to avoid having too many nouns "baron de sang de vizkopia" doesn't sound so great.

Also it sounds kind of cool :shrug:

Yeah I was just confused. I suck at French.

Also "baron de sang de vizkopa" sounds like some length fancy title. thats kinda cool

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Rimusutera posted:

Yeah I was just confused. I suck at French.

Also "baron de sang de vizkopa" sounds like some length fancy title. thats kinda cool

French cardnames do have a propensity for excessive verbosity.

..all the more ridiculous because "Envoy" is essentially a French loan-word to start with.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Plenipotentiaire is very fancy :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

End of Life Guy posted:

A manifested Magic Origins DFC Planeswalker card is a face down, unflipped, card. The picture that is in place of the card back has no effect. It will have to be turned face up, then flipped (by a transform effect) to become a planeswalker.

At least, I think that's how it works. Magic rules are hard sometimes.

"Flipped" in this context means Kamigawa flip cards, not double-faced cards. Seems like the current terminology is "face down", "front face up" or "back face up", with "transform" being the act of changing from front to back.

• Locked thread