Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.
Finished up the winter maintenance and took the first ride of 2015. In four glorious degrees C.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
I was out at least once every month last winter. Now I haven't ridden since october. :(

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
Changed the coolant, oil, and filter on the track bike. Replaced a lot of the mismatched bolts with conveniently sized parts from a DRZ kit. I also discovered that the PO did a horrible job routing the brake lines as I was moving it around the garage. So it'll have to go back up on the lift after I'm done with the 3x3 and jet kit on the DRZ.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Still riding the poo poo out of the R90.

OK so pick was yesterday but so what? I've put about 2,000 miles on this since November and can't wait to do more. There is a crazy dirt track event for all classes of bikes, from sport to moped, coming up and I'm gonna put around on this just for fun. I might actually swap some knobbies on the bitch for a bit more control.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Great looking bike. What dirt event are you talking about? I took a dirt class called Cornerspin where we used little XR100/150s and the skills translated well to street riding.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

The event is near Central Florida. It's the Woodsman Cup, just a small locally sponsored thing that sounds fun as hell. Racing happens on a 1/4 mile groomed flat track.

Here are a bunch of Groms tearing poo poo up from a previous event.
http://youtu.be/L6HCgLdkHjE

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Slavvy posted:

Honestly, that looks like the mounting bolt will work it's way loose and eventually tear out.

Slavvy posted:

I think I'm not picturing it properly because I'm not used to gas caps that look like that.

Okay, so I "installed" a test version (final will be black) a few days ago, so the bike itself is super filthy right now, but hopefully this gives you an idea:

Roguestick
Aug 18, 2013
It was a beautiful 45 degree day so I took my zx6r out for a ride. When I was exiting a parking lot I notice my speedo/gauges shut off. Motorcycle dies, so I push it back into the parking lot. Replace battery, starts fine, ride home. Hop back on the ninja a couple minutes later to take my old battery back to get the core refund, and when I leave the battery shop my bike won't start again.

Battery shop guy gives me a jump and tells me my bike isn't charging the battery, make it home even though my gauges shut off again.

After a quick google search I find out my year of bike has a recall for the regulator/rectifier, so guess I have to call the dealership and see if I can get it done, if it is still available, dunno how recalls work really.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Started it up for the first time of the year. Battery was still strong despite having been off the charger for months. Checked the oil, lubed the chain, wiped the garage dust off. Weather tomorrow looks promising. Fingers crossed.

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

Added a mount for my phone for GPS, ram had a pretty cool thing that replaces a bolt on the handlebar bracket with one a bit longer that accommodates the ball. Also swingarm spools.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Replaced my battery and remembered that the reserve on my petcock doesn't work. Rode it in the snow.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Ran both of them cause it was 40 out. Both started up right away. Hooray.

Maybe next week I'll get to take them off the stands and use them :(

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Not really the best actuary in the world.
Started up my 1981 Honda for the first time since I put it up for the winter (in October or November). Started right up, no problem. Hurray for putting it up the right way and keeping the battery in the house over the winter.

Rode it the 1.3 miles back to my house. Hello rusty skill set and icy driveway.

(And that's as far as it goes until I rebuild the carbs)

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
Didn't start so I replaced the spark plug. Still didn't start. Troubleshooting in Motorcycle Questions.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Front tire, front rotors, woodcraft mc bracket, tank grips/protector. Almost done! Just need a suitable electrical connector for the speedo sensor

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

What are the grippy things on the tank made of?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
They look like tech specs.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

After getting past the godawful website it seems they're $100 out of Australia. Not bad.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

They're hammergrips, made by a dude on svrider. Cheaper and a lot of people seem to like them better than the usual grips

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

That was probably about due for replacement :v:

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

M42 posted:

They're hammergrips, made by a dude on svrider. Cheaper and a lot of people seem to like them better than the usual grips

The usual grips being Stomp Grips, I presume?

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Put some fresh gas in the 599 and got it running. It was giving me trouble a few weeks ago due to my lazy winterizing. Going to change all fluids soon and it should be ready for spring.

Minkee
Dec 20, 2004

Fat Chicks Love Me

I switched out my European bars for Superbike Bars and got some bar end mirrors. Doesn't look too awful.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Naptime because I forgot the sidestand. Whoops.

karms fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Mar 16, 2015

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

KARMA! posted:

Naptime because I forgot the sidestand. Whoops.

He would sometimes be allowed to sleep in bed when he was a little Grom, but now he has to sleep on the carpet in the hallway.

advion
Jul 25, 2005
I managed to break it by changing the oil and now when I try to start it I get this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2JAOrlK4VY

Guess maybe I should add more detail.

2006 Ninja 650R

Removed fairing, let the bike run for five minutes or so to let it warm up a bit, gathered all the supplies and turned it off. Drained oil and let it drip for around ten minutes, did not change oil filter. Replaced crush washer and closed her up then poured in some fresh Rotella T6 (approx 1.2l) until around midway between the fill lines. Closed her up and turned her on for a minute just to get things flowing. Turned her back off and added around .3L more to put it back around midway between fill lines (maybe a touch above mid) since the level dropped after running. Closed it back up, cleaned up and went to start it again to let it run for a few more minutes and I get the video. I definitely only put in around 1.6/1.7L of oil as that's all I had left.

Had this on a battery tender for the last three weeks and it says the battery is fine, started numerous times before the change and ran for a while. :shrug:

advion fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Mar 17, 2015

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Looks like it's new battery season in CA.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Slavvy posted:

Looks like it's new battery loving buy a goddamn multimeter season in CA.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
I need a good multimeter. What does one get.

advion
Jul 25, 2005
Thanks for the answers even if they were in typical goon fashion.

I don't have a goddamn multimeter because I trusted my $20 Battery Jr to keep that poo poo charged. Luckily I have two of them and I tried the second one and it's charging the battery and red whereas the one I was using is showing the battery as charged and green.

Since I have a garage now and have places to store poo poo I plan on buying a multimeter so I have the same question as Ziploc.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Ziploc posted:

I need a good multimeter. What does one get.

One that works, presumably. The some electronics thread (can't remember so its probably yospos) tells me that you need a real expensive one if you do anything in kV's. You don't.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

Looks like it's new battery season in CA.

Nope. new AGM last Aug.

Multimeter: Fluke if you want to set :20bux: on fire. get a cheap lovely one that you can blow up without crying about.

I have both. I mostly use the cheap poo poo one because if I soak it, drop it, run it the gently caress over don't ask, etc, ain't care, it was 10 dollars.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Make sure it has decent probes though. I got a small cheap one and it only has permanently attached needle probes, which sucks if you need to fiddle with something and watch the meter at the same time.

You want one that comes with at least needles, alligators and hooks.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I just have a million of those 3-foot alligator clip wires lying around.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

advion posted:

Thanks for the answers even if they were in typical goon fashion.

I don't have a goddamn multimeter because I trusted my $20 Battery Jr to keep that poo poo charged. Luckily I have two of them and I tried the second one and it's charging the battery and red whereas the one I was using is showing the battery as charged and green.

Since I have a garage now and have places to store poo poo I plan on buying a multimeter so I have the same question as Ziploc.

A tender will not prevent natural death of a battery, it will only help prevent premature death.

advion
Jul 25, 2005

clutchpuck posted:

A tender will not prevent natural death of a battery, it will only help prevent premature death.

True but I wasn't expecting a natural death of the battery as the previous owner replaced it a year before I bought the bike two years ago (was a great PO and husband of a co-worker, handed over a bunch of receipts and a detailed maintenance log). I also didn't predict a tender going poo-poo though. After a few hours on this second tender it started up so I'm going to leave it on it for a bit.

advion fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Mar 21, 2015

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

cursedshitbox posted:

Nope. new AGM last Aug.

Multimeter: Fluke if you want to set :20bux: on fire. get a cheap lovely one that you can blow up without crying about.

I have both. I mostly use the cheap poo poo one because if I soak it, drop it, run it the gently caress over don't ask, etc, ain't care, it was 10 dollars.

Flukes have fuses to keep from blowing them up. That said, don't buy a $200 fluke just to test your stupid stator or something.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Flukes are for troubleshooting your King Air.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Got some bites on my old Buell, seems like my ask price is OK; I've only posted it on ADV rider where it gets limited exposure. So I've been getting it all back together for somebody to see it this weekend.

New muffler is on. Idiot I bought it from told me it was perfect shape but there was a massive dent in the inlet pipe that I had to round out. I had to disconnect the rear oil line from the swing arm to get the muffler bracket on. That was a PITA because it needed a fancy Jiffy-TiteTM QD tool that I had to order from Amazon. Now that it's back together I bet it has a new leak where I touched it.

Next up: spark plugs and wires. The rear plug is a pain in the rear end but if you are a genius and have a socket extension and u-joint adapter you can get it. The toughest part is overcoming the plug wire boot's suction because the little access hole in the sexy Italian frame only fits my meaty paw about knuckle-deep. Lots of feeble tugging with my fingers. Putting the new plug in is easier. 3/8" ID fuel line, about 8 inches is enough. Put the wire end of the plug in the fuel line and use it as a flexible finger extension to get it threaded without putting tool pressure on it. And that's where I ended because I realized I was out of anti-seize and all the auto parts stores were closed at 9PM.

Looking at the rear plug, it seems pretty decent. The thing has 20,000 miles or so on it with some really bad rich tuning for 4000 of those. Makes sense since that's the cylinder that the O2 sensor reads. The front one will be interesting. When I was doing my data logging, I adjusted the front's mapping on faith.

Tonight will be finish spark plugs and wires, put oil in it, switch the brake pads, start it up and hope it runs OK enough for somebody to want to give me $3000ish for it.

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Mar 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Took the seats off the HAWG and removed the battery in preparation for the new one (yep me too). Cleaned up under and inside there.