Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

MonsieurChoc posted:

So on a whim I got Leopold's Ghost and started reading it.

gently caress colonialism.

I read this recently. You almost have to admire Leopold's evil genius in deceiving the world with bullshit about his humanitarian aims in the Congo, all while holding sole ownership and total power over it. I'm just glad I learned who E.D. Morel was from the book. Such a tenacious reformer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
It really is a startling achievement of the horrors of Belgian colonialism that when the other colonial powers found out about it they were fully morally outraged.

'You did what?! A trade in human hands?!'

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

There's a spectacularly hypocritical statue in Ostend near the beach, of Leopold II surrounded by...well, just look at it. (It makes me wonder if JK Rowling knew about it when she wrote the Ministry of Magic in Book 7 with the Magic is Might statue.)

Rah rah, everyone loves him, locals and Africans alike, one big happy family. Now, look more closely at the Congolese gentleman on the far left

About ten years ago, an activist group cut his hand off in protest. The council decided not to repair the damage.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I read this recently. You almost have to admire Leopold's evil genius in deceiving the world with bullshit about his humanitarian aims in the Congo, all while holding sole ownership and total power over it. I'm just glad I learned who E.D. Morel was from the book. Such a tenacious reformer.

The incredible act of trickery he pulled off to get the country in the first place sounds like a hollywood con movie. One with horrible consequences.

It was this old thing (http://www.somethingawful.com/comedy-goldmine/most-evil-companies/1/) that got me to get the book. It's a terrific read. It wasn't the first time I learned about the Congo, though. Back in 8th grade, I did an oral presentation on Lumumba that ended with a special projection of the movie by Raoul Peck to the entire class (our french teacher would show us various movies throughout the year, we also saw Apocalypse Now). And earlier this year I watched the amazing documentary Virunga on Netflix. Watch it, it's great.

Man, poor Congo. Such a beautiful place, full of such atrocities. :smith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxXf2Vxj_EU

Present
Oct 28, 2011

by Shine
So recently I read The Religion by Tim Willocks, and it's an awesome historical fiction book about the Siege of Malta by the Ottomans. Does anyone have any suggestions for a non fictiony (or another good fictiony) book on the siege?

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

MonsieurChoc posted:

The incredible act of trickery he pulled off to get the country in the first place sounds like a hollywood con movie. One with horrible consequences.

It was this old thing (http://www.somethingawful.com/comedy-goldmine/most-evil-companies/1/) that got me to get the book. It's a terrific read. It wasn't the first time I learned about the Congo, though. Back in 8th grade, I did an oral presentation on Lumumba that ended with a special projection of the movie by Raoul Peck to the entire class (our french teacher would show us various movies throughout the year, we also saw Apocalypse Now). And earlier this year I watched the amazing documentary Virunga on Netflix. Watch it, it's great.

Man, poor Congo. Such a beautiful place, full of such atrocities. :smith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxXf2Vxj_EU

Lamumba is such a depressing capstone at the end of the book. I already knew about him from Legacy of Ashes by Tim Weiner, but basically you have this colony finally getting a democratically elected, Congolese leader after all this Belgian rule, only for him to be assassinated by the ousted Belgian military and, of course, the neocolonial cancer that is the CIA. Then, as often happened, we replaced him with kleptocratic and brutal dictator and funded him annually with US tax dollars for decades.

Behemuff
Sep 23, 2010

but the eyes - never!

Present posted:

So recently I read The Religion by Tim Willocks, and it's an awesome historical fiction book about the Siege of Malta by the Ottomans. Does anyone have any suggestions for a non fictiony (or another good fictiony) book on the siege?

I would really recommend Empires of the Sea by Roger Crowley. It covers stuff like the battle of Lepanto as well as the siege so gives you a wider view of Malta's importance.
Also, Francisco Balba di Correggio was an arquebusier who fought at the siege and later published a first hand account a couple of years later. Quite an in depth account and interesting to see him being slightly cagey about political issues surrounding the relief of the island for instance.
"I have not touched upon things which occurred in the council, nor have I concerned myself with controversial matters - for these are things which I leave to more inquisitive men who are freer to do so than I am" Haha :)

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Oh, that's good. "I'm a working mercenary, it doesn't pay (literally) for me to go around badmouthing my employers"

MooselanderII
Feb 18, 2004

Does anyone have any suggestions for good Bronze Age collapse books?

HighClassSwankyTime
Jan 16, 2004

MooselanderII posted:

Does anyone have any suggestions for good Bronze Age collapse books?

1177 BC by Eric Cline. Sometimes a bit repetitive but other than that it's a good book with excellent source material, hth!

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
I haven't read 1177 BC yet, but it's on my list. Robert Drews' The End of the Bronze Age is pretty good. It's limited by its hypotheses about why everything went tits-up at the end of the Bronze Age, and I'm sure there's more current research since 1995, but it's pretty good for what it is.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Finished King Leopold's Ghopst. RIP, Casement and Morel and George Washington Williams and Nzungu and all the others. :smith:

Leopold really was the quintessential capitalist, with infinite greed and no morality.

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005
Can anyone recommend something on the Troubles in Northern Ireland?

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Gambrinus posted:

Can anyone recommend something on the Troubles in Northern Ireland?

David McKittrick's Making Sense of the Troubles for a comprehensive overview, then Ed Moloney's Voices from the Grave for a really incredible piece of oral history from two men on opposing sides.

Anyone have a suggestion for a light, perhaps narrative history of the Napoleonic Wars?

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005

End Of Worlds posted:

David McKittrick's Making Sense of the Troubles for a comprehensive overview, then Ed Moloney's Voices from the Grave for a really incredible piece of oral history from two men on opposing sides.

Anyone have a suggestion for a light, perhaps narrative history of the Napoleonic Wars?

Ordered the McKittrick. Thanks.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

It is funny how people will fall all over themselves to say how depressing and how it made them lose faith in humanity after reading Leopold's Ghost when history is littered by events that would make this seem trivial.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Stravinsky posted:

It is funny how people will fall all over themselves to say how depressing and how it made them lose faith in humanity after reading Leopold's Ghost when history is littered by events that would make this seem trivial.

The closer in time an awful thing is the more it hits people. Mostly because a lot of people have a default understanding of history that "of course a bunch of bad things happened in the long long ago but since we got electricity/cars/whatever arbitrray thing Things Changed".

Ezzum
Mar 13, 2014

For Now

Stravinsky posted:

It's not necessary to belittle one people's suffering to legitimize another's. The Congolese Genocide was cruel and senseless. Dozens of events throughout history were. To argue which was more cruel and more senseless is immaterial, insensitive, and quite frankly, idiotic.

No personal disrespect, I just find trains of thought like that to be foolish.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Ezzum posted:

It's not necessary to belittle one people's suffering to legitimize another's. The Congolese Genocide was cruel and senseless. Dozens of events throughout history were. To argue which was more cruel and more senseless is immaterial, insensitive, and quite frankly, idiotic.

No personal disrespect, I just find trains of thought like that to be foolish.

That was not my point. It is weird to me that this one book is the one that gets people instead of (insert book on wars,genocides,ruthless capitalism, or whatever is happening right now that they can actively do something about but won't).

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

It doesn't help that it was perpetrated by Belgium, a seemingly inoffensive mayonnaise-and-frites-loving small country best known to popular culture as the one the Germans are always marching through to have it out with the French.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
It's also an event that has absolutely no presence in the public consciousness, so I'm willing to bet the vast majority of people who read KLG have never heard of the Congolese genocide. That makes it new, and shocking, and severely disturbing.

Like we've all grown up knowing about the Holocaust and we watched 9/11 happen; we're relatively inured to these events. They're godawful, yeah, but we've always been aware of them as Bad Things, so we had to fold them into our worldview as we were constructing it. Discovering a brand new Bad Thing you'd never heard about can rock that worldview.

Fledgling Gulps
Jul 4, 2007

I'll meet you in Meereen,
we'll grub out.
I finally got around to starting The Guns of August and I've been building a little reading list in my head for when I'm finished. First and kinda unrelated I want to read something on the Shackleton expedition, which I just find fascinating and was occurring around the same time, then Paris 1919, which I remember hearing is good from the Hardcore History podcast. Then I want to double back and read about the Franco-Prussian war and Bismarck/German unification, which seem like kinda big deals that I really know nothing about.

So I was hoping for recommendations on Shackleton, Franco-Prussia, and Bismarck. :)

HighClassSwankyTime posted:

1177 BC by Eric Cline. Sometimes a bit repetitive but other than that it's a good book with excellent source material, hth!

Remembering this for later. Thanks!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Stravinsky posted:

That was not my point. It is weird to me that this one book is the one that gets people instead of (insert book on wars,genocides,ruthless capitalism, or whatever is happening right now that they can actively do something about but won't).

I feel bad/cry every time I find out about a new horrible thing that happened in the past. I'm a real softie.

:smith:

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.
For the Franco-Prussian War, the classic is still very well regarded: Michael Howard's volume on it is excellent.

There's a newer one by respected historian Geoffrey Wawro that also covers it (and he has one on the preceeding Austro-Prussian War as well).

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Belgium isn't good for anything except waffles and fighting wars in. I say we abolish it entirely.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Stravinsky posted:

Geez, feel better now about belittling both the Congolese Genocide and the person who felt bad after informing themselves about it?

And your later snark about people doing nothing about current tragedies seems awfully assumptive regarding what the poster may or may not have done with their time so far.

In short, maybe not be a rear end in a top hat?

On topic, since it was asked, I've read Wawro's book and found it to be decently comprehensive and up-to-date on sources and research. Read quite drily, though, given the momentous nature of the events being covered. I'd give it a recommendation, if not a super-enthusiastic one. I don't think you'll find much better in English on it other than Howard's from the 1960's, which I found to be quite a bit Franco-centric.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

It should also be mentioned that the Congolese genocide is one of the best examples for pointing out why colonialism sucks and why it's created so many awful problems in the world. It also highlights a ton of ways that globalization and the consumer market for commodities (in Leupold's case, rubber) can indirectly make life really lovely for lots of people out there. Not everyone knows that there's a very real human cost for living in a world where you get to have a supercomputer in your back pocket, and for a lot of people it's a pretty good shock when they realize it.

edit: not to start an argument about the good/bad/evil of living in a first world society - it just doesn't hurt for people to know these things before deciding if they need to upgrade their 8 month old cell phone to this year's shiny new model, or any of the other 1001 random examples you could use to make the same point.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

The book itself ends with a really good look at all the similar atrocities that were going on at the same time and did not get the same media campaign Congo got. As well, as going into how things really did not change as much as they should have afterward.

:smith:

Mr_Roke
Jan 1, 2014

Look Sir Droids posted:

Looking for recommendations on a book covering the War of the Roses through the Tudor ascension.

I had just picked it up when you posted this and I didn't want to recommend it until I finished reading it, but I enjoyed 'The Hollow Crown: The Wars of the Roses and the Rise of the Tudors' by Dan Jones. It was a nice narrative history and a pretty easy read.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Mr_Roke posted:

I had just picked it up when you posted this and I didn't want to recommend it until I finished reading it, but I enjoyed 'The Hollow Crown: The Wars of the Roses and the Rise of the Tudors' by Dan Jones. It was a nice narrative history and a pretty easy read.

I'm pretty sure this was published in the US under the much less exciting title of The Wars of the Roses: The Fall of the Plantagenets and the Rise of the Tudors. It shares that title with Alison Weir's, uh, The Wars of the Roses. I've only read the latter - it's good, but (iirc) oddly stops either right before or immediately after Richard III's ascension, leaving out Bosworth and Henry VII's seizure of the throne.

Jones' The Plantagenets is excellent, so his Wars is probably exactly what you're looking for.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Mr_Roke posted:

Dan Jones' stuff is pretty darn good, especially if you know very little about the subject going into it and need someone to set out all the whos, whys and whats for you in a very readable, clear fashion. He finally managed to make the fairly convoluted lineage of Henry Tudor and his claim to the throne seem clear to me.

In honour of the fact Richard III is getting reburied today, I'm reading Alison Weirs' The Princes In the Tower, about the disappearance of poor Edward V and his little brother and have come to agree with her conclusion that Richard is probably responsible for that particular dark and murderous deed, though her claims about Richard wanting to marry his niece, Elizabeth, failed to convince entirely.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
As an unsolicited recommendation, I'd highly recommend The Dead Hand: The Untold Story of the Cold War Arms Race and Its Dangerous Legacy by David Hoffman. Just finished it today. I went into it having no idea that the Soviet Union had developed the most advanced biological weapons program in the world (illegally), and I also had no idea of how far our own program had gotten until the Nixon administration dismantled it. It really paints a scary picture of the piss-poor state of nuclear and biological weapons security during and after the Soviet Union, in addition to going in depth on the American and Soviet command and control systems for nuclear first strikes and retaliation. It focuses almost exclusively on the 1980s and forward, and I came away with some newfound respect for Reagan - something I didn't consider probable. Even though he clung way too tightly to the Strategic Defense Initiative (or Star Wars) considering all his military advisers on the matter told him what a fantasy it was, you really got the impression he hated the mere existence of nuclear weapons and wanted to do everything he could to eliminate them. I'd recommend it to anyone with even a passing interest in the Cold War or nuclear proliferation.

Now, for a request, can anyone recommend me a book that goes into detail on Tiberius and Gaius Gracchus? I've read Tom Holland's Rubicon and listened to the Hardcore History series on the Roman Republic, but that's about it.

MeatwadIsGod fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Mar 30, 2015

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I posted asking this in the Recommendation thread as well, because I'm looking for both fiction and non-fiction, but I'll ask here too:

What are some good, exciting books about spies in Nazi-occupied territory during WW2?

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

Hedrigall posted:

I posted asking this in the Recommendation thread as well, because I'm looking for both fiction and non-fiction, but I'll ask here too:

What are some good, exciting books about spies in Nazi-occupied territory during WW2?

I really enjoyed Agent Zigzag, if only because Eddie Chapman was nuts. Pretty sure the author of that book has done a few others centered on WWII espionage, though I can't speak to the historical rigor of any of them, since I'm not an expert myself.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

End Of Worlds posted:

I'm pretty sure this was published in the US under the much less exciting title of The Wars of the Roses: The Fall of the Plantagenets and the Rise of the Tudors. It shares that title with Alison Weir's, uh, The Wars of the Roses. I've only read the latter - it's good, but (iirc) oddly stops either right before or immediately after Richard III's ascension, leaving out Bosworth and Henry VII's seizure of the throne.

Jones' The Plantagenets is excellent, so his Wars is probably exactly what you're looking for.

Cool. I'll go with the Jones one. Bums me out Weir's leaves out the Tudors. Her Elizabeth I bio is great.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Silver2195 posted:

[And the Band Played on] I've read that some important parts of its interpretation, including its grasp on epidemiology from a scientific point of view, have been questioned by many academics. Still probably worth reading.

Belatedly, the main point of contention is the focus on Patient Zero and the implication that "it was this guy that bought AIDS to America". Which probably isn't true, but Patient Zero is an important case that lead to many becoming infected.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

End Of Worlds posted:

Echoing this request.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Handsome Ralph posted:

Echoing this request.

It might be medium rather than light, but I would always recommend The War of Wars, by Robert Harven It's utterly fantastic.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

AdjectiveNoun posted:

It might be medium rather than light, but I would always recommend The War of Wars, by Robert Harven It's utterly fantastic.

That's perfect, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Cyrano4747 posted:

If you really want to up your self-radicalization and utter contempt for western politics, follow Leopold's Ghost up with Death in the Congo: Murdering Patrice Lumumba and Dancing in the Glory of Monsters: The Collapse of the Congo and the Great War of Africa. Those two will basically take you through the Belgians pulling out of the Congo and the CIA subsequently arranging for the death of one of the greatest politicians Central Africa has ever seen through to the collapse of the state in the 90s and its decent into the churning hellhole of civil war and economic exploitation that it is now.

At that point you will probably just hate humanity, in its entirety, completely on principle. After that go read a Jane Austin novel or pet a puppy or something.

You get this same feeling from reading Rick Perlstein's trilogy on American Conservatism after getting through Before The Storm his book about Barry Goldwater I got about 100 pages into Nixonland before I had to take a break because of how depressing and aggravating it was reading the exact same racist criticism that were deployed against the Civil Rights Movement being reused on everything after the Ferguson protests.

To change gears, does anyone have any good recommendations on books about the Satan Panics of the the 70s-the early 90s and any books one that daycare center in California that was accused of Satanism in the 80s?