Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL
Congrats on the wedding dude!

I am going to stay out of pant-chat, i use chino´s when off work and in meetings, and firesafe coveralls when i work. ( i have had sparks flying into my asscrack on time to many) when i am at work in the firedepartment i wear uniform pants when higher ups are at the shops, shorts when not. if the whistle blows i jump into my bunker like a boss)

I am also a Mac user. i bought a insanly expensive alienware gaming laptop the first time i deployed overseas. i only lasted 6 months, i then "borrowed" my fathers Gen 1 macbook air for some years. Currently i have a 2014 macbook air and a retina Imac 27. All the computers at the shop runs xp tho.

I also started training for the annual physical test for the department. I am hoping that my health will let me go back to doing what i love and relegate the shop part of my work week to about 25 hours a week. I really miss being a firefighter, and more so miss hanging with the guys on my crew. When my groin grows back together i am going to start grabing some shifts answering the emergencyline and managing response.

Why am i so desperate to go back to the job that (probably) gave me cancer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Tusen Takk posted:

Does the EJ207 have a bunch of issues? I've always dreamed of putting one in a Forester :allears:

The EJ207 is fairly stout. It's a popular swap here in Canada when you blow up your early WRX's EJ205 because adding support for the AVCS variable valve timing logic is only a few extra wires over the existing EJ205 harness, and the engine is generally highly available through JDM importers.

The biggest problems people have experienced are, from memory:
  • Because of the AVCS cam gears the front of the engine case is a little longer than the old EJ205, which means that you need to do something special to the upper rad hose or an accessory belt will interfere with it when the motor rocks on its mounts.
  • The EJ207 ECU is tuned for higher octane Japanese gas and, for whatever reason, needs a reflash to work with low octane American gas. This means you can add a dyno tune to your expenses and should flash the ECU with a "safety" map, keeping the car out of boost, until that's done.
  • Like the EJ205 it seems to not be super happy with sustained lateral Gs, but since you've already pulled out the engine to swap it you can do the upgraded EJ255/EJ257 oil pan and maybe even add a baffle or two.
  • Americans are largely unaware of the EJ207 so information about this particular engine has to come from other countries where grey-importing is more common; those countries tend not to have the same wealth of content or quality of advice as the US forums. In some cases, wiring diagrams have some wires transposed and future swap guides warn to only trust certain parts of the previous swap guide and not others.
Adding the EJ207 to an NA Forester, which I'm assuming is the project you're referencing, should be no harder than any other turbo-into-NA Subaru swap. Means a lot of wiring and a lot of confused angry yells, and the usual "just one more thing" post-swap i-want-to-sell-this-car madness. You do still run into the aforementioned problems, of course, and have some new ones as some other parts should really be swapped in order to endure the torque produced by a turbo mill.

If all you want is a fast Forester, you should just get an XT. That way you get the EJ257 (STI) bottom end and can do the usual Impreza/WRX upgrades to make it faster.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Mar 17, 2015

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

IOwnCalculus posted:

The fact that A/UX has been discussed and djcommie has not posted yet makes me wonder if something terrible has happened to him :ohdear:

I think he's just busy with his life now. I haven't seen any of his posts in a while here or otherwise.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

As always, quick to show where I am really lacking in info. Thanks.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

ssjonizuka posted:

You nailed it. The apple overload in my house is due to work. I wouldn't shell out for a loaded rMBP myself, but work certainly can. I picked up an air for the wife not too long ago, and she's happy after years of struggling with lovely HP 17" laptops. *shrug* works well enough for us.

The future wife refuses to use apple anything besides her iPod. I blame it on her dad working for MS for too many years and being very pro-windows everything(her and both her parents use windows phones even). I think I am going to pick up a chromebook and try to get her to use that instead, since she keeps asking me how to fix her windows 8 machine and I have no idea. I have not touched windows since XP as a desktop and 2k8 server, and its been a few years since I had to deal with windows servers. She only uses chrome on the laptop, occasionally uses it to do *things* with her fitbit and the consumer grade HP laptop gets poo poo battery life.

Its not even me being anti-windows that stops me from fixing it, I have issues with my MBP that stump me until I do a basic search and find the ez fix. Windows 8 just confuses me since I expect it to have the old XP structure. I blame too many years of working on *nix servers at the cli only, consumer grade stuff just makes my head hurt.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

Negromancer posted:

The future wife refuses to use apple anything besides her iPod. I blame it on her dad working for MS for too many years and being very pro-windows everything(her and both her parents use windows phones even). I think I am going to pick up a chromebook and try to get her to use that instead, since she keeps asking me how to fix her windows 8 machine and I have no idea. I have not touched windows since XP as a desktop and 2k8 server, and its been a few years since I had to deal with windows servers. She only uses chrome on the laptop, occasionally uses it to do *things* with her fitbit and the consumer grade HP laptop gets poo poo battery life.

Its not even me being anti-windows that stops me from fixing it, I have issues with my MBP that stump me until I do a basic search and find the ez fix. Windows 8 just confuses me since I expect it to have the old XP structure. I blame too many years of working on *nix servers at the cli only, consumer grade stuff just makes my head hurt.

We could have easily picked up a newer windows laptop, and we'd have the same type of issues. Mostly itunes blows goats (I have proof), and some of the other switches between MS to apple. mostly simple and easy to fix stuff with a little google help.

I pushed a (non pro) surface tablet at my mom, and she's pretty happy with it. So yeah, different strokes. I've really just hit a point where it doesn't really matter what platform I'm using. I will say - when in a pinch, it's MUCH easier to get a high spec apple QUICKLY than it is any high powered portable windows machine.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Shampoo posted:

drat right, but when someone goes spouting poo poo that was out of date 6 years ago about Macs being "just better" and that they "don't get viruses" (buuuuuulshit) it cheapens the work I do every day computer janitoring macs.

I'm done. Back to cars. I want an old Forester, but then I see NEAI decide that if you get an old Forester you should have two or three spare engines around and it makes me pause.

Between the rod knock and the head gaskets, gently caress that thing.

Solution:
1. EJ22 shortblock
2. new timing set
3. swap pulleys
4. STI head gaskets
5. drive it. Slowly, because you have no choice.

I bought mine only because it was cheap, mostly inspectable, AWD/5speed, and alright on gas. I am replacing it with the car I actually wanted shortly. What is it? haha, you thought I was actually going to say, didn't you?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
One of the options that's becoming popular in Canada, especially for NA cars, is to swap to the JDM 2.0L SOHC instead of the EJ22.

They're more available, not quite as cheap, but generally have lower miles. They're compatible with all the 2.5 hardware including the intake manifold, ECU and sensors, and make more horsepower (150-155 depending on reports) than the EJ22 (130-140) which means you don't give up as much getting rid of your grenaded EJ25 (165-170).

I have been looking at the numbers on it and while it doesn't quite make sense yet, I can see the appeal over trying to source and swap a used EJ22.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Negromancer posted:

Install Windows Powershell, do everything at the CLI level on Windows too! :getin:

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*
I am so out of touch with computers. I havent used a computer outside of work for over a year. I do all of my internetting from my iPhone.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!
:3:

http://distractify.com/pinar/give-me-a-dee/

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

HotCanadianChick posted:

Install Windows Powershell, do everything at the CLI level on Windows too! :getin:

Been there, done that. I don't want to think about how much time I spent trying to get powershell to unzip a file. If I had to still work on windows, I probably would have learned powershell by now. Granted I was doing insane things to make the poo poo other people wrote actually deploy at some scale(chef over ssh on a windows machine to start the gameservers for the startup I used to work for). We got even weirder later on when we managed to run the unreal gameserver engine on linux under wine. Kinda miss that job at times. Tho I just heard that some other game publisher bought the rights to the game. I hope that they make it the game that it could be, but at the same time I will be pissed if I missed out on money from the game being big because of issues with the upper management.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

1500quidporsche posted:

The one macbook I owned had it's battery start expanding like a bag of popcorn. This explains a lot.

Mine did that enough that the trackpad didn't want to click any more, then to replace it I had to deal with those motherfucking pentalobe bullshit screws. fortunately I already had an iFixit driver kit. Great little kit for $25 or so.

I like Apple, but they do stupid controlling poo poo that genuinely pisses me off. No microSD slot on the phones and then charge you another $100 for another 16GB on your phone. NO RAM expansion on pretty much any of the new machines, except the Mac Pro and a few of the iMacs. Forget it on the laptops. And the ones that do support RAM upgrades are picky as hell on the RAM, even my old 2009 MacBook Pro.

Tusen Takk posted:

Ugh, I used linux for a long time and it was absolutely awful. I hated the lack of support, and the lack of programs for it. Plus, I hate open sores poo poo, and Linus Torvalds is a megadick who verbally abuses the people who work on Linux. You wanna talk about anal retentive Nazis? He's as bad as Stebe, if not worse.

Who cares if they're controlling anal retentive walled garden Nazis; their poo poo works when I want it to work and in the five years I've been using Apple products the only issue I've ever had was when my wife's 4S's radio died, which was fine because that meant that she got to get an iPhone 6 early. MagSafe is dope and has saved my computer a few times, and getting 8-10 hours of battery life out of my laptop owns owns owns. Also, the Magic Trackpad is amazing and the gestures make using my computer so simple compared to having to use my wife's trackpad or a mouse.

Have you seen the lates MacBook? No MagSafe. Pretty much no other ports, either. One, ONE, USB-C port for EVERYTHING. Power, Ethernet, USB, HDMI (or any video) requires adapters, and Apple's is $80. Also, it has a 480p camera. What in the actual gently caress? Oh, and a new, non-clicky pressure-sensitive trackpad, which may or may not be good/bad.

And yeah, Macs in a MS AD Domain can be a pain. We're working on that here.

Tusen Takk posted:

I'm super jealous :3: I would love a 27" with two additional 27" Samsung monitors on each side :stwoon:

My rig at work is a 14" Macbook Pro i7, with 2 27" Thunderbolt displays. :smug: Those Thunderbolt displays are expensive, but they're also basically a dock/port expander for your MacBook - speakers, Ehternet, Thunderbolt hub, USB, and power for the MacBook. Nice.
I could never afford this setup at home.

As far as reliability, we very rarely have to deal with hardware issues or repair on Macs. They are ridiculously solid - part of the expense.

Disclosure: I run Win 7 in Parallels on the Mac, and my older Mac Pro at home spends most of it's time booted in to Win 7 (I use my 2009 MacBook Pro as my primary - it still runs MacOS X 10.10 [most recent.]) I also speak a little Linux/UNIX, and actually use the command line on the Mac on occasion.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I'd rather not continue the derail any further but honestly talking about old Mac stuff is way more fun than modern computer stuff.

OS X does. Pre-OS X does not, really. OS 9.2.2 and earlier do not have pre-emptive multitasking, protected memory or a logical 'kernel' that controls access to hardware.

Apple did a few attempts at modernizing the OS throughout the 90s, the most well-known example was Copland (putatively Mac OS 8.0). They implemented a microkernel setup and separated out the old OS into a hypervisor kind of deal.

Whole thing eventually got axed from internal friction (late 90s Apple management was about as incompetent as you can get) and then they went to NeXT and just bought whatever they had lying around, which included Steve Jobs.

Jobs then proceeded to basically rampage through the entire company, getting the current CEO fired and then blowing off the top 3-5 layers (depending on department) of management and seniority, then installing his own guys from NeXT. All good decisions as it turned out, but for awhile they were cancelling promising late-90s tech projects (like OpenDoc) at the rate of almost one per day.

I remember all that poo poo, I was using, selling, and fixing Macs back then. It was a weird time of promise and disappointment.

CAR CHAT!
If I had the opportunity to pick up a 2005 Crown Vic P71 for $1500 fro a family member, should I? Known issues: P0401 EGR code (clean EGR, I think?) P0622 alt code. Said to run good, paint and body OK (though I've not seen it myself), and I don't know the miles. I trust the particular person selling it to not gently caress me over, at least knowingly.
I'm trying to get him to trade me for my XJ, but I don't think he wants a standard trans, and needs money more.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Negromancer posted:

consumer grade

And herein is the crux of the "Apple has better hardware" rallying cry. A $300 HP vs. a $1200 MBP - yeah, ones way better. Compare the MBP to a quality unit from a good manufacturer at the same price point, and the windows system ~should~ (once again, quality manufacturer) be just as solid if not better, and likely with faster hardware. I don't care what you use - I'll never touch Mac poo poo again after spending the better part of a year supporting Mac's in the early 2000's at a local newspaper. I have never had to reimage so many systems because they just...died. I started writing scripts to restore systems every night so they worked well enough for the day shift guys to use them without them crapping out again.

If you need an Apple, great, buy it. If you want one, great, buy it. If you buy a top-of-the-line PowerMac, install Bootcamp, then Windows, and then install Quickbooks - you're a loving idiot. But I saw that a ton, and at the local Future Shop a buddy worked at, 3/4 of the Mac's sold were for this - Apple was a "prestige" product, and people would pay more just to have one.

So, basically. gently caress computers. And winter. Why won't it end?

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Darchangel posted:

If I had the opportunity to pick up a 2005 Crown Vic P71 for $1500 fro a family member, should I?

Yes.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

The only Subaru I want is a factory wrx Baja :getin:
A: but the baja isn't available in the UK :(

I should find out if I get the mortgage tomorrow, I know I won't sleep. drat brain.

cakesmith handyman fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Mar 17, 2015

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

goatse guy posted:

I am so out of touch with computers. I havent used a computer outside of work for over a year. I do all of my internetting from my iPhone.

Most people do these days.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Cakefool posted:

The only Subaru I want is a factory wrx Baja :getin:
A: but the baja isn't available in the UK :(

Grey import + SVA test? Although i think they're all left-hookers.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I thought grey imports only needed an approval test I realise this in the SVA nowadays.

Much easier to slam a defender and put a big range rover engine in, then break parts all the time when you have traction.

How about a range rover chassis with a defender bed and small hatchback body on the front? :v:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Mooseykins posted:

Grey import + SVA test? Although i think they're all left-hookers.

Yeah the Baja was made in the U.S. and apparently only sold in the U.S., Canada and Chile.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Darchangel posted:

CAR CHAT!
If I had the opportunity to pick up a 2005 Crown Vic P71 for $1500 fro a family member, should I? Known issues: P0401 EGR code (clean EGR, I think?) P0622 alt code. Said to run good, paint and body OK (though I've not seen it myself), and I don't know the miles. I trust the particular person selling it to not gently caress me over, at least knowingly.
I'm trying to get him to trade me for my XJ, but I don't think he wants a standard trans, and needs money more.

I paid $1,800 for my '01 with a smashed front end and 140k miles. It now has a fixed front end, 200k miles, and is still running like a loving champ. Jump on it and never, ever let go of that car, it will last your entire life and then some :v:

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Cakefool posted:

I thought grey imports only needed an approval test I realise this in the SVA nowadays.

Much easier to slam a defender and put a big range rover engine in, then break parts all the time when you have traction.

How about a range rover chassis with a defender bed and small hatchback body on the front? :v:

Time for you to start a build thread! :v:

CharlesM posted:

Yeah the Baja was made in the U.S. and apparently only sold in the U.S., Canada and Chile.

Well that sucks. HSV Maloo then! :classiclol:

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA

T1g4h posted:

I paid $1,800 for my '01 with a smashed front end and 140k miles. It now has a fixed front end, 200k miles, and is still running like a loving champ. Jump on it and never, ever let go of that car, it will last your entire life and then some :v:

Word, I paid 3500 for my 08 and just went over 200k hauling rear end to a wedding. I have taken it all over the country and will continue to do so for a while. It also runs a 16.04 1/4 mile at 87mph I found out on Sunday.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Mooseykins posted:

Well that sucks. HSV Maloo then! :classiclol:

Cossie P100 would be the :britain: solution.

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"

Darchangel posted:

CAR CHAT!

T1g4h posted:

2005 is also a great year for P71s; all of the nice suspension/steering changes from the 2003 updates, bigger better splined axles than the 2004s, and cheaper tires than the 2006+es.

E: Picture whoring from my trip up some washed out fire roads on the TN/NC border on my way to camp in a fire tower

E2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKqHq4MuIhk

MonkeyNutZ fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Mar 17, 2015

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

InitialDave posted:

Cossie P100 would be the :britain: solution.

Yeah but.. ugly.

Also Maloo is much faster, and V8, and etc. :v:

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

goatse guy posted:

Your the worst kind. Instead of driving a semi cool car like a celica your driving one of those Scion Xbs. Your too cool to be mainstream but you end up like every one else.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

None of those have 4 doors come on guys :colbert:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Both the US and Australia got the Subaru Brat (the Aussies called it a Brumby which to me sounds like a profoundly offensive sexual act). Did the UK get them?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Cakefool posted:

None of those have 4 doors come on guys :colbert:
We're assuming you'd sell the kids to pay for engine work. You can always make more later.

Both the US and Australia got the Subaru Brat (the Aussies called it a Brumby which to me sounds like a profoundly offensive sexual act). Did the UK get them?
Yeah, we got those, but they were mostly used by farmers until they were either ground into the dirt or rusted away to nothing.

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Mar 17, 2015

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

We got the skoda felicia pickup and that's it.

A: thousands invested! :homebrew:

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

A brumby is a wild horse, watch The Man From Snowy River or something you uncultured swine :whip:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Cakefool posted:

We got the skoda felicia pickup and that's it.

I still kinda want one if only to go cruising on the 14 days of sunshine we get and pile a couple of friends in the back along with some camping gear...

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

So much nice looking old american iron at the shops I'm delivering to. The shop right next door has an early 30's ford sitting in their body shop next to a 57 chevy and a chevelle SS sitting out next to the street to draw in customers. And several of them are like this, they all have some good looking muscle cars just kinda sitting off to the side getting worked on here and there while the rest of the customer's cars get cycled through. Need to get pictures of all of it while out. (Though remembering their names first may be a better idea.) :>

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Did I read someone calling Linus a megadick? Oh bullshit, you can not be more wrong. He's a pretty chillax guy ..... until you make a mistake that you refuse to fix, then you get it with both barrells. And he'll call what you did loving retarded, not you. Unless you keep making mistakes and refusing to fix, at which point you'll be told to gently caress off and not submit any more code.

There is also a refreshing lack of bullshit with him. So if you get yelled at by Linus, you utterly deserved it. This is not being a dick, this is simply calling it as it is. The other refreshing thing is that Linus is very much about Linux working, rather than Linux and open source as a political statement. Too many Open Source projects are verring into SJW'ism and it loving hurts quality and the project.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

T1g4h posted:

I guess I kinda knew what the answer would be. :haw:
Now to figure out where the money would come from. 'Spose I'd need to sell the XJ, if he won't trade... which I just upgraded from poverty spec with PW, PM, PDL, keyless entry alarm, roof rack, tilt, leather wheel, rear wiper, overhead console, center console, and rear cargo light. Oh, and delay wipers just over the weekend. It had none of that before. Too bad it's only a 4x2 4-banger.

So, anybody want an XJ? High miles, but who cares, it's an XJ!

Edit:

MonkeyNutZ posted:

2005 is also a great year for P71s; all of the nice suspension/steering changes from the 2003 updates, bigger better splined axles than the 2004s, and cheaper tires than the 2006+es.

Good info, thanks. The only downside is I really like the earlier deep dish cop steelies. Plus side is that the late Mustang wheels fit and are plentiful.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Pham Nuwen posted:

A brumby is a wild horse, watch The Man From Snowy River or something you uncultured swine :whip:

Fun fact: Tom Burlinson is a British-Canadian who grew up in New Jersey. He grew up with my mom and uncle who are also British-Canadian in New Jersey.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Charter: When I said the first 20 times you called that I didn't want Cable TV or Phone service, I kinda meant it. This passive aggressive "What time can the technician come by and hook up your Cable TV" bullshit is really annoying.

I just wanted your internet. Its all I want. Its all I ever want.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then

nm posted:

Fun fact: Tom Burlinson is a British-Canadian who grew up in New Jersey. He grew up with my mom and uncle who are also British-Canadian in New Jersey.
Irrelevant. Still a good movie.
He'd also never ridden a horse until 2 weeks before the film, I just found out.

CommieGIR posted:

Charter: When I said the first 20 times you called that I didn't want Cable TV or Phone service, I kinda meant it. This passive aggressive "What time can the technician come by and hook up your Cable TV" bullshit is really annoying.

I just wanted your internet. Its all I want. Its all I ever want.
Try and schedule the appointment for 2 weeks ago and then call to complain it wasn't completed on time.
(Or schedule for 5 years from now)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Cat Terrist posted:

Did I read someone calling Linus a megadick? Oh bullshit, you can not be more wrong. He's a pretty chillax guy ..... until you make a mistake that you refuse to fix, then you get it with both barrells. And he'll call what you did loving retarded, not you. Unless you keep making mistakes and refusing to fix, at which point you'll be told to gently caress off and not submit any more code.

There is also a refreshing lack of bullshit with him. So if you get yelled at by Linus, you utterly deserved it. This is not being a dick, this is simply calling it as it is. The other refreshing thing is that Linus is very much about Linux working, rather than Linux and open source as a political statement. Too many Open Source projects are verring into SJW'ism and it loving hurts quality and the project.

Okay, sure, but would you be able to get away with acting like linus does at your place of employment? Like I get it, he runs the show and can do whatever he wants, but that's not exactly the best way to go about it.

http://valleywag.gawker.com/linus-torvalds-does-not-give-a-poo poo-about-you-1680004895
http://badalhocando.blogspot.com/2011/10/linus-torvalds-is-douche.html
https://blog.mozilla.org/ejpbruel/2013/02/26/linus-torvalds-is-a-terrible-role-model-for-the-open-source-community/

Just because he gets results doesn't make him a megadick. Steve Jobs was a megadick, and he sure got a lot of stuff done.

FAT32 SHAMER fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Mar 18, 2015

• Locked thread