Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Help Im Alive posted:

If a Layton puzzle is asking you to do math the answer is almost always something else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

lmao at the turtlicious posts

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

seiferguy posted:

After having my Nintendo DS stolen in late 2009 ( :smith: ) I finally got back into Nintendo handhelds with a New 3DSXL :unsmith: I picked up two games to start: Theatrhythm Curtain Call, and Link Between Worlds.

Were there any major DS games I missed in 2010 and beyond that are worth picking up? I might snag a flash cart for the DS, since that won't ban my console.

Picross 3D and Picross DS the best 2 puzzle games for the system.

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
bah weep granna weep ninny bong
So for folks playing STEAM have you seen the turn limits in game anywhere that you need to hit to get the bonus gold at the end of stage? I've apparently missed every one as I wander about getting coins and cogs.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Can anyone recommend a 3rd party grip for the "New" 3DS XL? Or maybe send me back a few pages if it's already come up? Me and my big ol' gorilla hands thank you in advance.

Edit: Looks like the Cyber Grip got recommended several pages back. Still the best option? Can't seem to find a source on it.

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Mar 17, 2015

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Help Im Alive posted:

If a Layton puzzle is asking you to do math the answer is almost always something else

Not true. The "Cracking Combinations" puzzle required math that was significantly more difficult than the ice present one. So does the "Squirrel Snacks" one and the "Dial Trial" one as well. And I'm only 30 puzzles into it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

nuru posted:

The problem with Ace attorney is that you have to understand Ace Attorney logic to get anywhere sometimes. You may know the murderer's finger is inside the vase in evidence, but you need to figure out which inconsequential question/press combo will lead the judge to talk about how in his day they wore onions on their belts so that Edgeworth bumps into the vase and shatters it.

It's possible I just hate adventure games.

This is exactly my problem.

That and I tend to come up with strange lateral thinking solutions to begin with, so it just really doesn't jive well.

Same with LA Noir and most Adventure games, and even Mass Effect at times. When forced to turn something complex and nuanced like an interview into one of 3 questions, I tend to over-think the answer and always pick the wrong one. :doh:

I love Awkward Zombie.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Mar 17, 2015

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Nate RFB posted:

A quick, cursory wikipedia search tells me these games came out in 2010 or later and I'd say are absolutely worth picking up:

Ghost Trick: Great, great puzzle/visual novel/adventure game by the guy who wrote the Ace Attorney series.

Ace Attorney Investigations 2: Speaking of which. This actually just got a translation patch so it's kind of a different animal, but it still owns and is one of the best titles in the franchise. I guess kind of useless if you haven't played the previous games yet though.

Radiant Historia: Really unique and somewhat cleverly designed time-travel JRPG by Atlus.

Whoa, an original DS JRPG? I loved my DS but the biggest issue was the lack of JRPGs that weren't remakes. I even picked up that Lunar: Dragon Story game, and that was awful. It would have been tolerable if running in the overworld didn't make you lose HP.

I liked the Phoenix Wright games, but they're pretty much a one-and-done type game, and yeah - it's tough for me to play em without a FAQ.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

Looks good. I can't tell the difference between this and mine. Your girlfriend won't notice a thing.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The rear end Stooge posted:

Looks good. I can't tell the difference between this and mine. Your girlfriend won't notice a thing.

She said I'm not allowed to touch her arts and craft supplies anymore. Or fire for at least a month.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Turtlicious posted:

She said I'm not allowed to touch her arts and craft supplies anymore. Or fire for at least a month.

She sounds smart, I think she might be a keeper.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

DisposableHero posted:

So for folks playing STEAM have you seen the turn limits in game anywhere that you need to hit to get the bonus gold at the end of stage? I've apparently missed every one as I wander about getting coins and cogs.

When you start the level it flashes up at the very beginning.

Getting within the turn limit on every stage in a level is only like 300 extra coins though so don't sweat it. A lot of times though it'll give you an indication of when some fuckoff reinforcements will spawn.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Turtlicious posted:

Ugh, what a Debbie Downer. Sever.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

McCracAttack posted:

Can anyone recommend a 3rd party grip for the "New" 3DS XL? Or maybe send me back a few pages if it's already come up? Me and my big ol' gorilla hands thank you in advance.

Edit: Looks like the Cyber Grip got recommended several pages back. Still the best option? Can't seem to find a source on it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cyber-Gadge...=item2edec12942

That is the one I ordered, took 17 days to arrive. I stopped looking for other options, but as of 17 days ago it was the only thing that existed. I was getting cramps just playing Pokemon Shuffle, after using the grip more I say it's definitely worth it, no more cramps.

katkillad2 fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Mar 17, 2015

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

katkillad2 posted:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cyber-Gadge...=item2edec12942

That is the one I ordered, took 17 days to arrive. I stopped looking for other options, but as of 17 days ago it was the only thing that existed. I was getting cramps just playing Pokemon Shuffle, after using the grip more I say it's definitely worth it, no more cramps.

Great! Thank you.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
Dammit I missed Turtlicious finally removing that poo poo?

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Turtlicious posted:

So did she find the bodies?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Healbot posted:

So did she find the bodies?

That was just the whiteboard I was using for shadowrun, she was following a dickbutt meme spirit to find a dead dude. They eventually dug up the garden after the dickbutt stated where the body was specifically.

TheHouseofM
Feb 13, 2012

Turtlicious posted:

That was just the whiteboard I was using for shadowrun, she was following a dickbutt meme spirit to find a dead dude. They eventually dug up the garden after the dickbutt stated where the body was specifically.

Do you have a newsletter that I can subscribe to? All your posts are win in my book.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I don't know what I find more amazing. Turtles posts or the fact that he has a gf.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Waltzing Along posted:

I don't know what I find more amazing. Turtles posts or the fact that he has a gf.

What if his gf status is the most epic troll of them all?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i have no clue what is real anymore

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Turtlicious is 12

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Hat Thoughts posted:

Turtlicious is 12

That actually makes sense.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Hat Thoughts posted:

Turtlicious is 12

And the girlfriend is actually his mom. The whole shebang suddenly makes more sense.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Fremry posted:

Professor Layton and the Azran Legacy is doing this to me. There was a puzzle about a gift entrapped in ice and the goal was to get it out. It gave you how much ice a certain amount of warm water melted and when you do the math, the answer is like 500 or something, but they only give you 2 digits to write your answer. I looked up the answer and it was zero. You can just leave it out by the fire to let it melt.

It's bullshit because 95% of the puzzles are equally ridiculous and implausible situations, but the answer can be worked out, so there's no good indication of what direction you need to go in any given puzzle. It's constantly like "Is this a trick, or one of the real ones?"

See those are the kind of Layton puzzles I actually like. They make me feel clever.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

precision posted:

See those are the kind of Layton puzzles I actually like. They make me feel clever.

It's just really annoying because I expect games to have rules and parameters, and all of the situations involved in the game are ridiculous, so there's no indication that the rules have suddenly changed. Like, for the one where there are 60 safes and you have to figure out which one the thief is going to crack by figuring out his math problem, why can't I answer "Put them all in one room and put 10 guards in that room"? Because that's essentially the equivalent of the answer to the ice present one.

Edit: It just feels arbitrary to me, so I go into every puzzle thinking "Is this one of those ones that has a trick answer?"

Edit 2: And then you get penalized for not getting it right.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I guess you just get used to spotting them after a while from how they word the questions or something. I've played all of the Layton games and I usually just think those puzzles are kinda clever

The worst puzzles are the slider ones. Also every once in a while you run into weird kinda obtuse ones like this

solution

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Someone got paid a lot of money to think of that puzzle.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Help Im Alive posted:

I guess you just get used to spotting them after a while from how they word the questions or something. I've played all of the Layton games and I usually just think those puzzles are kinda clever

The worst puzzles are the slider ones. Also every once in a while you run into weird kinda obtuse ones like this

solution

Oh, so the solution is, "break up with your annoying girlfriend".

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
The Layton games all sound like much more expensive versions of those books full of clever puzzles and riddles my grandma used to give me

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Looper posted:

The Layton games all sound like much more expensive versions of those books full of clever puzzles and riddles my grandma used to give me

Yes, but in a good way

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Looper posted:

The Layton games are like getting those supermarket puzzle books and anime at the same time, they are great.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
If I just want a 3DS for Monster Hunter 4, will I regret just picking up a used XL and adding one of those circle pro things?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Gooch181 posted:

If I just want a 3DS for Monster Hunter 4, will I regret just picking up a used XL and adding one of those circle pro things?

Not really no. All you're missing out on using an older 3DS is slightly lower texture resolutions and shadows.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

The only regret is that the 3DS has a zillion fantastic games other than Monster Hunter.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

you dont even need a circle pad :ssh:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Gooch181 posted:

The only regret will be the inevitable MH5 that comes out in like 2 years and is New 3DS only or something, and you will be poo poo outta luck.

Or, you know, they come out with some other amazing rear end game that's only for the New one, like a new Starfox or something.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Fuzz posted:

The only regret will be the inevitable MH5 that comes out in like 2 years and is New 3DS only or something, and you will be poo poo outta luck.

Or, you know, they come out with some other amazing rear end game that's only for the New one, like a new Starfox or something.

The n3DS will go the way of the DSi soon anyway. Nintendo is going to announce the NX or whatever as a new handheld that supports cross platform play and all of us that bought the n3DS will feel like dopes like I did when I bought a DSi XL and had the 3DS come out within a year. t:saddowns:t

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

nuru posted:

The problem with Ace attorney is that you have to understand Ace Attorney logic to get anywhere sometimes. You may know the murderer's finger is inside the vase in evidence, but you need to figure out which inconsequential question/press combo will lead the judge to talk about how in his day they wore onions on their belts so that Edgeworth bumps into the vase and shatters it.

It's possible I just hate adventure games.

This is true. The games have their own sense of twisted logic. It's weird for me. Sometimes I get in this Zen state where I can figure everything out in an instant and I can see the crazy twist coming from a mile away. On the other hand, often the game will just blindside me out of left field and leave me thinking "Wait, WHAT?!" I love those moments.

I find that I can't play them for very long at a time, though. Eventually, it stops making sense, and I get stuck. When this happens, I don't look up an FAQ. I put the game down for awhile and come back to it later. Then the thing I was stuck on is the most obvious loving thing. I don't know why this happens. To those having trouble with the Ace Attorney games and feeling like you have to be glued to an FAQ: don't. Worse comes to worse, you can just save and brute force it.