Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Horrible Taste posted:

The Potara earrings are stronger than the dance and give a bigger power boost to the resulting fusion.

Nope, BoG Extended Cut makes it pretty clear that Beerus is stronger than Vegito.

No, Goku says fusion wouldn't be enough. Goku also said it would be a good idea to leave the fate of the world up to an emotionally conflicted pre-teen then two eight year olds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

Guys we all know that if Goku and Superman met they'd quickly become good friends, they're both too nice for there to be any other result

Superman's a comicbook character, there's no way they'd not fight over a contrived misunderstanding for half an hour first before they buddied up

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

drrockso20 posted:

Guys we all know that if Goku and Superman met they'd quickly become good friends, they're both too nice for there to be any other result

Goku's good friends like to spar.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

gently caress trophy 2k15 posted:

No, Goku says fusion wouldn't be enough. Goku also said it would be a good idea to leave the fate of the world up to an emotionally conflicted pre-teen then two eight year olds.

It's pretty clear from the context the show's implying none of their bullshit is going to work against Beerus. It even introduced God-Kai as a concept just so they couldn't win with some Final Spirit Bomb x1000 super attack either

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

drrockso20 posted:

BattleCattle posted:

Goku's good friends like to spar.

These two get it. :colbert:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

TheKingofSprings posted:

You are massively underestimating just how loving stupid Superman is at his most powerful.

Well, Silver Age, sure, he was sneezing universes away, but ever since, he's been pretty toned down and there are dozens of people in the DCU who are on his level and it's not a big deal.

Superman Prime from DC One Million could probably put up a good fight against Cell, but would still lose ultimately.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

TheKingofSprings posted:

You are massively underestimating just how loving stupid Superman is at his most powerful.

Goku will probably eventually be stronger or is now but goddamn is Superman capable of some stupid poo poo

Seriously, Superman is goddamn insane. Dude is not balanced one bit when he's trying. I don't give a gently caress about the death battle, but I think it'd honestly come to a standstill.

We all know Saitama would punk both of them.

WickedHate posted:

Well, Silver Age, sure, he was sneezing universes away, but ever since, he's been pretty toned down and there are dozens of people in the DCU who are on his level and it's not a big deal.

Superman Prime from DC One Million could probably put up a good fight against Cell, but would still lose ultimately.

It's hard to say "oh well back in the day he'd be great but today he sucks" when a dozen different authors write his comics. One might have Superman at his best, a month later he whines about not being strong enough. Goku has the advantage of being written by one dude, even if Toriyama is forgetful as hell. You've got to assume the best for Superman if you want an honest comparison.

The whole goddamn concept is dumb tho.

Arsonist Daria fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Mar 17, 2015

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:
Batman could beat Goku given enough preparation time spent in the Hyperbolic Chamber.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Maybe Goku could teach Superman martial arts.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Goku wouldn't kill superman because he loves having strong opponents and would want to fight him again. He was willing to spare Vegeta and even Freiza.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Superman would break Goku's neck

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Could Superman beat Whis though?

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Superman would break Goku's neck

Naw, he wouldn't do it even if he could.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Raxivace posted:

Could Superman beat Whis though?

Impossible.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Superman's problem is that, at least right now, he does not resonate on a deep level with anyone under the age of 30. I mean, sure, it can be fun to go out and see the latest Superman movie at the movie theater, but Supes himself is not what he used to be. Per comichron.com, 823,829 copies of "Adventures of Superman", Superman's primary monthly ongoing, were paid for in 1965. In 2014, Superman's primary monthly ongoing sold only 97,166 copies. Almost everyone has some sort of fictional world that was very influential on them in their formative years. The kind of thing that, even with all its flaws exposed, still evokes feelings of happiness, even affection. While I don't have raw data on this assumption like I did for the sales figures, I'm going to say that the number of people who feel a closeness with the Dragonball franchise is much larger than the number of people who feel the same for the Superman franchise.

Why? Thesis: Superman is less appealing to modern audiences than Goku because of two unfortunate flaws: first, his core qualities are tied to a presentation that is not as appealing or relevant to modern audiences; second, there are huge pressures preventing any change to the fundamental aspects of Superman's presentation.

Umm poo poo, I feel an effortpost coming on. I think I need to compose the rest in notepad first.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Xibanya posted:

Superman's problem is that, at least right now, he does not resonate on a deep level with anyone under the age of 30. I mean, sure, it can be fun to go out and see the latest Superman movie at the movie theater, but Supes himself is not what he used to be. Per comichron.com, 823,829 copies of "Adventures of Superman", Superman's primary monthly ongoing, were paid for in 1965. In 2014, Superman's primary monthly ongoing sold only 97,166 copies. Almost everyone has some sort of fictional world that was very influential on them in their formative years. The kind of thing that, even with all its flaws exposed, still evokes feelings of happiness, even affection. While I don't have raw data on this assumption like I did for the sales figures, I'm going to say that the number of people who feel a closeness with the Dragonball franchise is much larger than the number of people who feel the same for the Superman franchise.

Why? Thesis: Superman is less appealing to modern audiences than Goku because of two unfortunate flaws: first, his core qualities are tied to a presentation that is not as appealing or relevant to modern audiences; second, there are huge pressures preventing any change to the fundamental aspects of Superman's presentation.

Umm poo poo, I feel an effortpost coming on. I think I need to compose the rest in notepad first.

This is seriously a cool and interesting synopsis, if you wish to continue please do.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I just want to say this discussion has been legitimately fascinating. It's kinda heartwarming that opinions on DBZ are more or less universal.

Endorph posted:

Kai did really good ratings. The problem was that they were expecting ridiculous ratings. They were expecting it to do One Piece numbers, even though Kai is just an HD rebranding of a 20 year old show.

That would explain a lot. Hearing that something DBZ related was considered a failure in Japan without context made me think it must be irrelevant there or something.

mycot fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Mar 17, 2015

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

One thing is worth mentioning, I think, is that people will watch Superman alongside other characters, like in that Justice League show, or as a guest on a series like Static Shock, or in games like that Mortal Kombat crossover, or in the upcoming crossover film with Batman, even if they don't go out of their way to read his comics.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

If the voice of a strange man suddenly echoed through the collective consciousness of humanity, telling them to raise their hands and give their energy, how many would do it?

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Raxivace posted:

One thing is worth mentioning, I think, is that people will watch Superman alongside other characters, like in that Justice League show, or as a guest on a series like Static Shock, or in games like that Mortal Kombat crossover, or in the upcoming crossover film with Batman, even if they don't go out of their way to read his comics.

I would argue that the same could be said of Goku, it's just not the way it is.

Which is a shame, because I'd loving love to see Goku in Smash Bros or something (don't think Mortal Kombat would be a good fit).

BattleCattle posted:

If the voice of a strange man suddenly echoed through the collective consciousness of humanity, telling them to raise their hands and give their energy, how many would do it?

I sure would.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

BattleCattle posted:

And when your buddy beside you did it, he immediately became exhausted and drained of energy.

Then another angry strange man started screaming at you telepathically "Why Aren't You Raising Your Hands?"?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

BattleCattle posted:

Are you trying to imply there are goons who would not raise their hands and yell 'hail satan' at the slightest provocation?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I think the problem is that, to the layman, giving your energy to Goku so he can fight a threat you can't even conceive of is indistinguishable to giving your energy to Queen Beryl so she can unleash the Nega-Verse. He says he's doing to save the planet, but who even is this guy? Why does everyone want your goddamn energy?

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

YggiDee posted:

I think the problem is that, to the layman, giving your energy to Goku so he can fight a threat you can't even conceive of is indistinguishable to giving your energy to Queen Beryl so she can unleash the Nega-Verse. He says he's doing to save the planet, but who even is this guy? Why does everyone want your goddamn energy?

I'd do it either way, just on the off chance it was Goku.

...Turns out, all Beryl had to do was ask nicely.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Dragon Ball's story is also finite and has an ending. The manga ended with the Buu arc years and years ago. However, people keep writing Superman comics for years, and comic publishers can't really make any permanent changes to a character, because it will be undone later.

What's so cool about Dragon Ball is Goku starts the story as a little kid, and ends it as a grandfather. Characters change over the span of decades. On the flip side, Spider-man made a deal with the devil to undo his marriage because when Joe Quesada was a kid, Spidey wasn't married. American superheroes can't grow old and retire - it's bad business sense and they're owned by Marvel and DC for the most part, not their creators. In fact, Toriyama had to really fight to get them to allow him to make Goku grow up.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Actually I think I've figured out the real problem. Is Goku, in fact, yelling all this in Japanese? That would slow things down.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I mean, poo poo, he asked. May as well!

If it dooms the world, well at least politeness is a pretty funny reason for a species to die.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

YggiDee posted:

Actually I think I've figured out the real problem. Is Goku, in fact, yelling all this in Japanese? That would slow things down.

Good question, does King Kai translate things?

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Gammatron 64 posted:

Dragon Ball's story is also finite and has an ending. The manga ended with the Buu arc years and years ago. However, people keep writing Superman comics for years, and comic publishers can't really make any permanent changes to a character, because it will be undone later.

What's so cool about Dragon Ball is Goku starts the story as a little kid, and ends it as a grandfather. Characters change over the span of decades. On the flip side, Spider-man made a deal with the devil to undo his marriage because when Joe Quesada was a kid, Spidey wasn't married. American superheroes can't grow old and retire - it's bad business sense and they're owned by Marvel and DC for the most part, not their creators. In fact, Toriyama had to really fight to get them to allow him to make Goku grow up.

A Marvel or DC universe where heros actually age and die sounds like a pretty intriguing concept. Some new heroes take up the old mantles, others invent themselves.

Naw let's just shove a billion new ideas into a world already saturated with old favorites, I'm sure the new ones will go over.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

BattleCattle posted:

Good question, does King Kai translate things?

He's too busy taking his driver's test to care

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

...When was the last time Batman actually solved a crime where he didn't punch a man?

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

A Marvel or DC universe where heros actually age and die sounds like a pretty intriguing concept. Some new heroes take up the old mantles, others invent themselves.

Naw let's just shove a billion new ideas into a world already saturated with old favorites, I'm sure the new ones will go over.

That's essentially the issue. They're trapped in what has been famously dubbed 'Marvel Time', so heroes can't age and stay in infinite limbo.

There's also the fact that it's harder for newer characters to stand out in the scene when you're competing with mainstays right out the gate; feels like they're bogarting the mike from the new class from making waves. That's tough to compete with even in the best of times.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

there's a reason DC comics has had like five reboots in the past decade. The only way to make changes to the characters is to completely reset the story.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
isn't DBZ literally about a guy who keeps overshadowing the young upstarts because fans like the first guy more?

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Marvel has a ton of good comics out right now and you guys suck.

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

Does Marvel even have anyone who could fight DBZ level guys?

Also while I've never been big into Superman, golden age heroes can be pretty ruthless so if he saw Goku as a real threat he could win.

Who would win between Martian Manhunter and Piccolo?

vvvv I'm still waiting on that rematch

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Countblanc posted:

isn't DBZ literally about a guy who keeps overshadowing the young upstarts because fans like the first guy more?
yeah but Goku's story at least changes as the series goes on, and actually ended. if Goku were an american superhero he would have fought King Piccolo 678 times until nobody could possibly care anymore.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Parrotine posted:

That's essentially the issue. They're trapped in what has been famously dubbed 'Marvel Time', so heroes can't age and stay in infinite limbo.

There's also the fact that it's harder for newer characters to stand out in the scene when you're competing with mainstays right out the gate; feels like they're bogarting the mike from the new class from making waves. That's tough to compete with even in the best of times.

It's certainly hard to move on once you've got a classic, but eventually people are going to stop give a poo poo about the old guys. There's a reason why people have started gravitating toward newer, less popular characters like Squirrel Girl.

Countblanc posted:

Sure, but it's not like people don't complain about it and at least it was one author who admitted Goku remained the hero because he couldn't write Gohan as the protagonist.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

I really like the idea of superhero legacies. Bucky Barnes was a fantastic Captain America and Dick Grayson was a fresh new take on Batman. Imagine Peter Parker getting too old for superhero business, settling down, having children and names Miles Morales as his successor to the mantle of Spider-man. Decades later, Miles himself has grown and we get another new Spider-man. I would love that, but writers want to write their favorite characters from when they were kids, and publishers would never allow that as its a huge risk. Such a thing is almost always undone.

They almost kind of did this with both the Flash and Green Lantern, but eventually they just brought back Barry Allen and Hal Jordan.

Even DBZ kind of failed at this, because Gohan was going to take Goku's place, but got completely jobbed last minute in the Buu saga and Goku had to save the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

It's certainly hard to move on once you've got a classic, but eventually people are going to stop give a poo poo about the old guys. There's a reason why people have started gravitating toward newer, less popular characters like Squirrel Girl.

Given that the marvel movie franchise is the most successful franchise in history, I don't see that happening anytime soon.

EDIT- ^ DC's legacy stuff back in the 90's was great, too bad they hosed it up and had to bring back hal jordan and barry.

• Locked thread