Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Lord Justice posted:

Holy poo poo.

Shut up, nerd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!
Shut it you loving dweeb.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Please stop reporting others for posting how they want to and stop loving being a passive aggressive child about it. You realize you are entitled to post how you want to and none of those people are stopping you from doing that, right? Nothing in the last few pages is low effort posting because Sharky actually followed up his post with legit thoughts and reasons for thinking the way he does. On the other side however, I saw a ton of loving essay level posts and am curious if that is like the whole loving thread, because Jesus.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Mar 15, 2015

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Beef Waifu posted:

On the other side however, I saw a ton of loving essay level posts and am curious if that is like the whole loving thread, because Jesus.

Not the whole thread, just a few people who've gotten really seriously into Madoka.

Zaggitz posted:

Shut up, nerd.

Uznare posted:

Shut it you loving dweeb.

Seriously? Hey, Beef Waifu, if this isn't low effort posting then I don't know what is.

Lord Justice posted:

Madoka Stuff

Thematically, I like it, but I'm not sure if it's totally solid. You are basis much of the analysis on the idea that Madoka idealizes the original Homura. However, the Madoka that Godoka was born from only knew Homura as cold and distant, but driven by passion to save her. I'm not sure it's safe to claim that Godoka reverted to the original Madoka's perspective.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I am not probating people for saying "Shut up." I have also said in the rules I am generally not probating for low-effort posting either unless it becomes egregious or is flat out terrible. I have probated people before for dog piling some dude for something he did on another board, which is dumb and kind of really bad shitposting too.

Two people telling some guy to shut up because he posted a thing they don't like is like the most whatever thing I've seen. It's not even low-effort posting it's just a flat response.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Mar 15, 2015

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
You can't really have a discussion with a flat "shut up," nor does it provide any sort of interesting idea or opinion. I dunno, seems like a rather low level of discourse. I'd rather have the intimidating literary essays than that.

Lord Justice
Jul 24, 2012

"This god whom I created was human-made and madness, like all gods! Woman she was, and only a poor specimen of woman and ego. But I overcame myself, the sufferer; I carried my own ashes to the mountains; I invented a brighter flame for myself. And behold, then this god fled from me!"

Beef Waifu posted:

On the other side however, I saw a ton of loving essay level posts and am curious if that is like the whole loving thread, because Jesus.

I'm not going to engage with or report anyone that I feel is "shitposting" as it's clear the moderation staff and I don't share the same definitions; but since this comment was made by a mod, I have to ask, do I run the risk of probation for my analysis?

ViggyNash posted:

Thematically, I like it, but I'm not sure if it's totally solid. You are basis much of the analysis on the idea that Madoka idealizes the original Homura. However, the Madoka that Godoka was born from only knew Homura as cold and distant, but driven by passion to save her. I'm not sure it's safe to claim that Godoka reverted to the original Madoka's perspective.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by the original Madoka's perspective. Are you talking about the first loop Madoka? Godoka may have been born from the 9X loop Madoka, but it's clear her opinion of Homura changed when she ascended. As well, most of the analysis is based in Rebellion, which is something of a "base Madoka", or something along those lines, who approaches Homura in a way much closer to how Madoka would as a default. The issue being then that since Madoka believes or wants to believes Homura is something she's not (the shy transfer student instead of the broken individual), you run into the problems I listed previously, up to and including Homura's betrayal.

Edit:

PerrineClostermann posted:

You can't really have a discussion with a flat "shut up," nor does it provide any sort of interesting idea or opinion. I dunno, seems like a rather low level of discourse. I'd rather have the intimidating literary essays than that.

I'm not calling you out or anything, your opinion is your own and you are free to do as you like, re: my analyses; but I'm curious, what exactly is intimidating about them? If it's something I can fix I would like to do so.

Lord Justice fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Mar 15, 2015

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Beef Waifu posted:

I am not probating people for saying "Shut up." I have also said in the rules I am generally not probating for low-effort posting either unless it becomes egregious or is flat out terrible. I have probated people before for dog piling some dude for something he did on another board, which is dumb and kind of really bad shitposting too.

Two people telling some guy to shut up because he posted a thing they don't like is like the most whatever thing I've seen. It's not even low-effort posting it's just a flat response.

Then what the hell constitutes low-effort posting? And how is insulting someone for something they did on another forum any less offensive then telling someone to shut up and insult them for making an effort post? How is doing that at all useful to the thread topic?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lord Justice posted:

I'm not calling you out or anything, your opinion is your own and you are free to do as you like, re: my analyses; but I'm curious, what exactly is intimidating about them? If it's something I can fix I would like to do so.

They're really long. Reading them is a commitment and they're an opinion/interpretation. If I want to respond or participate, I'm either devoting a lot of time to match it, or doing it a disservice by responding to a small part of the whole.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

How about huge rear end extended derails? Is that reportable?

ViggyNash posted:

Then what the hell constitutes low-effort posting? And how is insulting someone for something they did on another forum any less offensive then telling someone to shut up and insult them for making an effort post? How is doing that at all useful to the thread topic?

How is you whining about ADTRW for 5 posts useful to the thread topic?

Lord Justice
Jul 24, 2012

"This god whom I created was human-made and madness, like all gods! Woman she was, and only a poor specimen of woman and ego. But I overcame myself, the sufferer; I carried my own ashes to the mountains; I invented a brighter flame for myself. And behold, then this god fled from me!"

They're really long. Reading them is a commitment and they're an opinion/interpretation. If I want to respond or participate, I'm either devoting a lot of time to match it, or doing it a disservice by responding to a small part of the whole.

That's fair enough. I did attempt to cut down on my word count in the last analysis, especially with the use of imagery as both a short hand and a further aid to the analysis. I'll see what I can do about cutting it down further, but to properly analyze something you do need to take some time to do so.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

There isn't enough discussion itt about who the coolest character is.

It's the red head.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

I haven't seen Madoka because I don't watch bad shows but I'm pretty sure I'm the coolest character.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

I bet Sailor Pluto can beat up Homura.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

If you're so cool then why are you in the anime forum

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Namtab posted:

If you're so cool then why are you in the anime forum

I'm not that cool, but Madoka was a low bar to clear.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

aers posted:

I haven't seen Madoka because I don't watch bad shows but I'm pretty sure I'm the coolest character.

I never saw the show but I watched the 3 movies and Madoka is cool as hell, actually.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Namtab posted:

There isn't enough discussion itt about who the coolest character is.

It's the red head.

Kyouko is garbage and gently caress everyone for playing up this fappy yuri lesbo pairing with Sayaka.

Sayaka died disliking if not outright hating Kyouko. Come on people :colbert:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Kyouko is garbage and gently caress everyone for playing up this fappy yuri lesbo pairing with Sayaka.

which is why the show itself played a song about them holding hands and singing about how being at each other's side is home at the end of that episode

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.
Sayaka's the coolest character because she was a hopeless idealist being crushed against the harsh crags of reality in the show or however you want to read that and she came out being super chill and helpful in Rebellion. Most positive growth throughout the entire series.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Endorph posted:

which is why the show itself played a song about them holding hands and singing about how being at each other's side is home at the end of that episode

They played that because they had an interesting duality, not because they wanted to gently caress.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

Kyouko called Sayaka a friend in the final episode.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I'm not arguing Madoka Magica shipping here, but 'Sayaka died hating Kyouko' goes against pretty much every single thing the show blatantly tells you. 'Interesting duality' is not what I get from lyrics like:

quote:

(Kyoko) It was a rough place,
(Sayaka) and a lonely one,
(Duet) but we joined our hands.

Like I'm not talking about loving here (why are you trying to make this about loving?), or romance, but c'mon.

quote:

(Sayaka) Even now I still have hope.

'Died hating her' is not the message that song is giving out. And they got the character's VAs to sing it, so clearly they wanted the song to express the characters.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I prefer the really long posts to the weird dude that thinks kyouko isn't cool.

Please come back.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Please hold my hand and give me your energy as I wish the effort posters back into existence.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sharkopath posted:

Please hold my hand and give me your energy as I wish the effort posters back into existence.

Lord Justice
Jul 24, 2012

“This isn’t just a dream. It’s a little brighter than that.”

Within Rebellion we see an entirely new relationship dynamic between Kyouko and Sayaka, which was more or less absent from the series itself. With this new dynamic comes new development as well, Kyouko is a much different person from how she is portrayed in the series; but I don’t feel this is out of character. Rather, it is Kyouko how she would be if she did not have to deal with the reality of the world and her wish. Kyouko is still very much present, but now we see a new side of her.

Getting to the relationship between Kyouko and Sayaka, their relationship has taken a new turn, but I don't feel it's as extreme as people have made it out to be. Certainly, parts of the fanbase love putting them together in a yuri shoujo ai relationship, and Rebellion is acknowledging that, but that's about the extent of it. Within Rebellion they are good friends, with a complex emotional backdrop to it.

With Sayaka, there is a distinct feeling of regret and an attempt to fix how they interacted in the series. It seems clear to me that Sayaka remembers the events of the series, possibly having memories of all of Homura’s loops due to being part of the Law of Cycles. She’s now much more aware of what Kyouko did for her, and she makes that clear in the third act.

“But the reason I ended up taking this assignment and coming back was because I actually do have one regret. The fact that I left you behind.”

Homura was her mission, but Kyouko was her reason for coming back. It makes sense, then, that she would regret what happened in the series, how she treated Kyouko, and attempt to make up for it in Homura’s dream. This is the other part of Eternal’s ending that I felt was deficient, in that Sayaka never once mentions Kyouko. Kyouko sacrificed herself for Sayaka’s sake, yet the only resolution is with Sayaka and Kyousuke. Rebellion addressing this issue is important, because it finally resolves how Sayaka feels about Kyouko’s sacrifice and leads the way for their relationship to grow in Post-Rebellion.

Kyouko is more simple in this respect, due to her being reset in the new world and there being very little information on how she and Sayaka interacted during that period. It seems at least that the relationship between them was much friendlier than the series, and Kyouko looks to be genuinely upset over the fact that Sayaka is gone in reality. As well, she does seem to be reciprocating how Sayaka feels, and there is definitely a connection there. We see Oktavia holding Kyouko’s spear for example, representing the strong bond between the two of them.

Speaking on whether this relationship is romantic or not, I don’t think that was the Quartet’s intention per-se. There is definitely strong emotion here, but it flows naturally from the series with romanticization of the two being unnecessary. With Kyouko and Sayaka, their relationship is based in the concept of Phillia, the Greek term for the love inherent in friendship. It’s a mutual feeling, as Rebellion clearly shows, both in the main film and in the epilogue.

To expand a little more on the topic, there is some interplay of narrative in this instance between Kyouko and Sayaka and Homura and Madoka. Madoka and Homura do not have any sort of romantic relationship or inclination, some of the yuri imagery aside (the red thread of fate, the red spider lilies, etc). Madoka’s love for Homura is that of Agape, the Greek term for the love of god, or selfless love. Which introduces part of the problem, because Homura’s love is a (depending on your interpretation) platonic or romantic, selfish variant of Eros, the Greek term for the typical kind of romantic love. This creates the conflict where they have different feelings for each other, and plays into Homura’s betrayal of Madoka.

With Kyouko and Sayaka this is not the case, as their relationship exists in a mutual fashion, without the problems of false idealism and differing forms of love. In a sense, it is a far healthier relationship than Madoka’s and Homura’s, and stands in sharp contrast to it. It is a more minor element of Rebellion, as Rebellion is obviously focused on its protagonists, but it does operate as a useful counterpoint to Rebellion’s main thesis of falsity. There is nothing false here between the two, it is entirely genuine.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Hallelujah.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Lord Justice posted:

“This isn’t just a dream. It’s a little brighter than that.”

Within Rebellion we see an entirely new relationship dynamic between Kyouko and Sayaka, which was more or less absent from the series itself. With this new dynamic comes new development as well, Kyouko is a much different person from how she is portrayed in the series; but I don’t feel this is out of character. Rather, it is Kyouko how she would be if she did not have to deal with the reality of the world and her wish. Kyouko is still very much present, but now we see a new side of her.

Getting to the relationship between Kyouko and Sayaka, their relationship has taken a new turn, but I don't feel it's as extreme as people have made it out to be. Certainly, parts of the fanbase love putting them together in a yuri shoujo ai relationship, and Rebellion is acknowledging that, but that's about the extent of it. Within Rebellion they are good friends, with a complex emotional backdrop to it.

With Sayaka, there is a distinct feeling of regret and an attempt to fix how they interacted in the series. It seems clear to me that Sayaka remembers the events of the series, possibly having memories of all of Homura’s loops due to being part of the Law of Cycles. She’s now much more aware of what Kyouko did for her, and she makes that clear in the third act.

“But the reason I ended up taking this assignment and coming back was because I actually do have one regret. The fact that I left you behind.”

Homura was her mission, but Kyouko was her reason for coming back. It makes sense, then, that she would regret what happened in the series, how she treated Kyouko, and attempt to make up for it in Homura’s dream. This is the other part of Eternal’s ending that I felt was deficient, in that Sayaka never once mentions Kyouko. Kyouko sacrificed herself for Sayaka’s sake, yet the only resolution is with Sayaka and Kyousuke. Rebellion addressing this issue is important, because it finally resolves how Sayaka feels about Kyouko’s sacrifice and leads the way for their relationship to grow in Post-Rebellion.

Kyouko is more simple in this respect, due to her being reset in the new world and there being very little information on how she and Sayaka interacted during that period. It seems at least that the relationship between them was much friendlier than the series, and Kyouko looks to be genuinely upset over the fact that Sayaka is gone in reality. As well, she does seem to be reciprocating how Sayaka feels, and there is definitely a connection there. We see Oktavia holding Kyouko’s spear for example, representing the strong bond between the two of them.

Speaking on whether this relationship is romantic or not, I don’t think that was the Quartet’s intention per-se. There is definitely strong emotion here, but it flows naturally from the series with romanticization of the two being unnecessary. With Kyouko and Sayaka, their relationship is based in the concept of Phillia, the Greek term for the love inherent in friendship. It’s a mutual feeling, as Rebellion clearly shows, both in the main film and in the epilogue.

To expand a little more on the topic, there is some interplay of narrative in this instance between Kyouko and Sayaka and Homura and Madoka. Madoka and Homura do not have any sort of romantic relationship or inclination, some of the yuri imagery aside (the red thread of fate, the red spider lilies, etc). Madoka’s love for Homura is that of Agape, the Greek term for the love of god, or selfless love. Which introduces part of the problem, because Homura’s love is a (depending on your interpretation) platonic or romantic, selfish variant of Eros, the Greek term for the typical kind of romantic love. This creates the conflict where they have different feelings for each other, and plays into Homura’s betrayal of Madoka.

With Kyouko and Sayaka this is not the case, as their relationship exists in a mutual fashion, without the problems of false idealism and differing forms of love. In a sense, it is a far healthier relationship than Madoka’s and Homura’s, and stands in sharp contrast to it. It is a more minor element of Rebellion, as Rebellion is obviously focused on its protagonists, but it does operate as a useful counterpoint to Rebellion’s main thesis of falsity. There is nothing false here between the two, it is entirely genuine.

Thank you.

a cartoon duck posted:

I bet Sailor Pluto can beat up Homura.

Sailor Moon is full-on ancient astronauts. What has PMMM got to compare? Some jabber about entropy? Puh-lease .

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I can't write like that but it's really weird for somebody to deny the sort of faltered/failed friendship they shared over the series and the actual one they have in rebellion.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Sharkopath posted:

I prefer the really long posts to the weird dude that thinks kyouko isn't cool.

Just ignore the haters

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
While on the subject of Rebellion, can I say that I particularly enjoyed this scene?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OP3hJJGwyBc
I went into Rebellion not knowing anything about it in regards to the plot. The beginning was cute, stylishly animated, and set up the basic premise of the world it was taking place in, then this scene popped up to remind everyone that "hey, this is PMMM you're watching, the world only looks cute."

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
That scene and the following ones have so much symbolism.

It's got so many hints to the plot as well, it is kinda crazy I just drunk it in and accepted it for a while.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Blaziken386 posted:

While on the subject of Rebellion, can I say that I particularly enjoyed this scene?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OP3hJJGwyBc
I went into Rebellion not knowing anything about it in regards to the plot. The beginning was cute, stylishly animated, and set up the basic premise of the world it was taking place in, then this scene popped up to remind everyone that "hey, this is PMMM you're watching, the world only looks cute."

Huh. I've watched the movie 2 - 3 times, and that's the first time I caught the flashes of witch script during Homura's transformation.

And, really. Rebellion is worth it just for redeeming Sayaka. :slick:

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

AlternateNu posted:

Huh. I've watched the movie 2 - 3 times, and that's the first time I caught the flashes of witch script during Homura's transformation.

And, really. Rebellion is worth it just for redeeming Sayaka. :slick:
Fun fact: the runes during Homura's transformation sequence apparently translate to:

German Runes posted:

"To mistress / We're bored" - (presumably from the Clara Dolls)
"I kill myself"
"They glorify death"

(Go here to see all the runic translations from Rebellion.)

And yeah, probably the best part of Rebellion for me is the fact that it shows how much Sayaka's been able to grow as a person. Sayaka is the coolest.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
So my sister recently finished watching the series and we're going to watch Rebellion soon. I think I'm unspoiled (sometimes hard to tell with the pictures you can see floating around the internet) but I thought I would pop in here to ask a question first, do the first two movies make any important changes to the plot or are they just summary movies with nicer animation and stuff? I'm sure I'll watch them at some point anyway cause I'm a huge dork but I'm only back for a week so if we can go into Rebellion without any more pre-requisites it would be nice.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

ActionZero posted:

So my sister recently finished watching the series and we're going to watch Rebellion soon. I think I'm unspoiled (sometimes hard to tell with the pictures you can see floating around the internet) but I thought I would pop in here to ask a question first, do the first two movies make any important changes to the plot or are they just summary movies with nicer animation and stuff? I'm sure I'll watch them at some point anyway cause I'm a huge dork but I'm only back for a week so if we can go into Rebellion without any more pre-requisites it would be nice.

In theory Rebellion is specifically supposed to be a continuation of the movies rather than the series: there's some visual imagery in the first two movies that gets referenced in Rebellion, and to some extent the movies have a closer focus on the characters that are most important in Rebellion than the series does, but in terms of actual plot beats the same events still happen. If you go into Rebellion having watched just the series and not the other movies you're not going to be super confused or anything. At least, not by anything you're not meant to be confused by.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

They basically summary movies with nicer backgrounds, the only thing they really do differently is kind of present the story from Homura's perspective rather than Madoka's, which ties in with the third movie a bit better. They're 100% skippable if you've seen the series recently though.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

ActionZero posted:

All you really need to know about the two first movies is that the scenes emphasize scenes with Homura more than scenes with Madoka, so the story focuses on a little bit differently on who the story is about.

It's not that you missed anything, it just has more sympathy with Homura's situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Twiddy posted:

Sayaka's the coolest character because she was a hopeless idealist being crushed against the harsh crags of reality in the show or however you want to read that and she came out being super chill and helpful in Rebellion. Most positive growth throughout the entire series.

Sayaka's supposed to be a parable about not following your true desire. She didn't go insane because reality was different from her expectations, but because she failed to wish for what it was that she subconsciously really wanted (for the violinist guy to love her, rather than for him to be cured), she thought she was an altruistic person but couldn't live with the self denial of abandoning the object of desire. So it was more like she herself was not like she thought she was.

Kyouko's supposed to be the cynical answer to this problem, instead of focusing on desire and duty, she just withdraws into simple pleasures. She's disillusioned which makes her relatively strong. A lot of real people fall into either one of these archetypes.

Madoka's solution is a Christian deistic one, she grants that while nothing we really want is ever reached in our lifetimes, and most dreams turn out to be illusions, God saves you from despair with the promise of an afterlife. Kyubey's universe before she came along was essentially pagan, determined by a purely instrumental logic whereby everything has a certain purpose and there is nothing beyond life.

• Locked thread