Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

a shameful boehner posted:

Neat, I'm just over the highway. Ever been to Saigon Basil?

No, not yet anyway! When I'm craving Vietnamese/pho I usually stop by the place next door to POM off 120th. Though there's no shortage of Vietnamese places around here, apparently (I've only been here since mid-2013).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Do... do you know what a coup actually is? :psyduck: Seriously, I'm not sure how you could pick out five events in US foreign policy and not stumble across one even by accident, but here we are.
:blush: Apparently not. I had been under the impression that the term "regime change" was used as a nice euphemism for "US-backed coup d'état", but I guess I was wrong.

So that leaves Iran in 1953, Guatemala in 1954, Congo in 1960, the Dominican Republic in 1961, South Vietnam in 1963, Brazil in 1964, and Chile in 1973 as 7 confirmed US-backed coups.

In my defense my understanding of history past World War 2 is somewhat murky since my history classes never seemed to get that far, and they especially never seemed to talk about the US doing stuff in Central/South America. Of course now I realize that was probably partially intentional (can't have the US looking like the bad guy, no sir) but drat is it aggravating knowing I still missed a whole bunch of poo poo I really should know about.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Amergin posted:

No, not yet anyway! When I'm craving Vietnamese/pho I usually stop by the place next door to POM off 120th. Though there's no shortage of Vietnamese places around here, apparently (I've only been here since mid-2013).

Won't derail the thread anymore with Denvurbia chat, but if you ever feel like getting together and shooting the poo poo I'd be down (I don't have PMs, though, just let me know if you want an email address).

Try Saigon Basil sometime, I guarantee you'll love it.

Fox News is also on 24/7! :v:

ex post facho fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Mar 17, 2015

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Three Olives posted:

*a big-rear end magazine cover*

Hey I like a nice set of abs as much as the next gay boy, but you know imgur has a resizing feature right?

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

as if all this was something more
than another footnote on a postcard from nowhere,
another chapter in the handbook for exercises in futility
This is from 2013 but I've only now seen Radley Balko* tweeting about it.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/22/tom-cotton-corruption-of-blood_n_3322251.html

quote:

Rep. Tom Cotton (R-Ark.) on Wednesday offered legislative language that would "automatically" punish family members of people who violate U.S. sanctions against Iran, levying sentences of up to 20 years in prison.

The provision was introduced as an amendment to the Nuclear Iran Prevention Act of 2013, which lays out strong penalties for people who violate human rights, engage in censorship, or commit other abuses associated with the Iranian government.

Cotton also seeks to punish any family member of those people, "to include a spouse and any relative to the third degree," including, "parents, children, aunts, uncles, nephews, nieces, grandparents, great grandparents, grandkids, great grandkids," Cotton said.

"There would be no investigation," Cotton said during Wednesday's markup hearing before the House Foreign Affairs Committee. "If the prime malefactor of the family is identified as on the list for sanctions, then everyone within their family would automatically come within the sanctions regime as well. It'd be very hard to demonstrate and investigate to conclusive proof."

The amendment immediately sparked objections from several members of the Foreign Affairs Committee, who noted that the Fifth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution guarantees due process rights to anyone charged with a crime under American law.

"An amendment is being offered literally to allow the sins of the uncles to descend on the nephews," Rep. Alan Grayson (D-Fla.) said. "The amendment that's being offered doesn't even indicate a requirement of knowing violation. … I really question the constitutionality of a provision that punishes nephews for the sins of the uncles."

Article III of the Constitution explicitly bans Congress from punishing treason based on "corruption of blood" -- meaning that relatives of those convicted of treason cannot be punished based only on a familial tie.

Family members of people suspected to be political dissidents in North Korea frequently disappear or are punished by the North Korean government.

Cotton warned that some wrongdoers in Iran may shift financial assets to family members to avoid forfeiture under U.S. laws, so family members must automatically be guilty of sanction violations as well.

"Iranian citizens do not have constitutional rights under the United States Constitution," Cotton said. "I sympathize with their plight if they are harmless, innocent civilians in Iran. I doubt that that is often the case."

The Fifth Amendment reads "no person ... shall be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law," and makes no distinctions regarding citizenship. In Wong Wing v. United States, the Supreme Court found that noncitizens charged with crimes are protected by the Fifth Amendment, along with the Sixth and 14th Amendments. The case was decided in 1896.

Several members of the Foreign Affairs Committee acknowledged that stashing assets with family members can be a problem. But they noted that other provisions in the bill would ensnare family members who conspired with those who violate the sanctions. Chairman Ed Royce (R-Calif.) suggested that Cotton withdraw his amendment and narrow its language.

After some back-and-forth with Grayson and Royce, Cotton relented and withdrew the amendment.

*e: fixed wrong attribution

Von Sloneker fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Mar 17, 2015

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Von Sloneker posted:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/22/tom-cotton-corruption-of-blood_n_3322251.html

please don't ever let this man become president

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

ReidRansom posted:

His "personal photographer" is the pretty one.

i mean, I'm basically totally straight, but that's a handsome dude.

Yup, that's what is known as 'man-pretty'.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

That goes to a Playboy article so be careful!

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

Well now I'm seeing a debate in Balko's twitter feed about the accuracy of the article. Supposedly that Popehat guy is trying to figure things out.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Maybe we'll discover that Cotton and Schock are secret lovers and we can be rid of both of them.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

zoux posted:

That headline is hilarious when every single administration he's been involved with has been objectively worse.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

quote:

"I sympathize with their plight if they are harmless, innocent civilians in Iran. I doubt that that is often the case."
:captainpop:

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Tom should consider applying that language to people who hire undocumented labor, first.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Von Sloneker posted:

Well now I'm seeing a debate in Balko's twitter feed about the accuracy of the article. Supposedly that Popehat guy is trying to figure things out.

This was linked here earlier (possibly in another thread)

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Von Sloneker posted:

Lmao he should just come out with it and make being of Iranian descent a felony with minimum 15 years in prison

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Essentially saying if you are at all negative towards Israel you are somehow worthy of being bombed.

Likud is a disease and Cheney being completely removed from Israel he still pimps the pathetic rhetoric.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Von Sloneker posted:

Your father traded with Iran, Worf. Your family will be dishonored for three generations!

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Nonsense posted:

Essentially saying if you are at all negative towards Israel you are somehow worthy of being bombed.

Likud is a disease and Cheney being completely removed from Israel he still pimps the pathetic rhetoric.

My fellow Israelis, I'm pleased to tell you today that I've signed legislation that will outlaw D&D and LF forever. We begin bombing with white phosphorus in five minutes.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

zoux posted:

first question and answer:

quote:

At different points, President Barack Obama and Attorney General Eric Holder have suggested that racism is a factor in criticism of them. Is there any truth in that?

I think they’re playing the race card, in my view. Certainly we haven’t given up—nor should we give up—the right to criticize an administration and public officials. To say that we criticize, or that I criticize, Barack Obama or Eric Holder because of race, I just think it’s obviously not true. My view of it is the criticism is merited because of performance—or lack of performance, because of incompetence. It hasn’t got anything to do with race.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

A Winner is Jew posted:

My fellow Israelis, I'm pleased to tell you today that I've signed legislation that will outlaw D&D and LF forever. We begin bombing with white phosphorus in five minutes.

LF is buried with Caro.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Joementum posted:

The cloture vote on S. 178 the Justice for Victims of Human Trafficking Act failed 55-43, so now we wait and see if Mitch is going to keep trying a la the DHS funding bill, if he'll agree to pull the Hyde amendment language, or if he'll move on to something else like the Lynch nomination (:lol:, no).

In case anyone cares, he went with option #1 and is filing for cloture again. So we get to have another failed vote on Thursday and then the Senate goes into recess. The US Senate! :toot:

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Nonsense posted:

LF is buried with Caro.

LF truly died as it lived then.

Making horrible choices since it wasn't on any medication.

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

Yeah, re: the Cotton Consanguinity Amendment, definitely read that Popehat post linked by ComradeCosmobot, because while it's not as menacing as I first thought, it's a reminder that this dude maybe shouldn't be allowed near a legislative body.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

A Winner is Jew posted:

LF truly died as it lived then.

Making horrible choices since it wasn't on any medication.

I will never forgive Obama for not doing more for Caro.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
LF died so that D&D could live. Freer, more marxist than ever it could before.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Everything dies, but humans have always endeavored to leave something persistent - offspring, knowledge, ritual. But now we can make objects that can 'think' and 'talk', becoming a completely new kind of institution.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

McDowell posted:

Everything dies, but humans have always endeavored to leave something persistent - offspring, knowledge, ritual. But now we can make objects that can 'think' and 'talk', becoming a completely new kind of institution.

Imagine how much will be lost when we go. The internet and all the electronics will be gone. We are gonna be the most easily forgotten era of human history.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
Also did this get posted? Jeb Bush just came out against the federal minimum wage, “We need to leave it to the private sector,” (but does say state level min. wages are fine).

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

site posted:

Imagine how much will be lost when we go. The internet and all the electronics will be gone. We are gonna be the most easily forgotten era of human history.

As if 99% of all proof of human existence didn't get erased within like 20 years of a people dying anyway.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

site posted:

The library of congress decided to catalog SA and 4chan so your shitposts will remain intact for all of eternity.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

computer parts posted:

As if 99% of all proof of human existence didn't get erased within like 20 years of a people dying anyway.
lol okay true

Venom Snake posted:

The library of congress decided to catalog SA and 4chan so your shitposts will remain intact for all of eternity.
Yeah like the LoC will be around still.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

site posted:

lol okay true

Yeah like the LoC will be around still.

unless nuclear war, it will.

if nuclear war, everything disappears

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fried Chicken posted:

This. It is actually shockingly easy to meet and get connected with politicians once you get involved.

There is no faster way to get an in with a politician than listen to him complain while he's on the campaign trail. Always make sure to ask what's bothering him and they will quickly learn to love you.

Spending 5 hours in a car in the middle of nowhere with Tim Kaine was an experience let me tell you.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Mo_Steel posted:

Conservatives are way ahead of you on that front:

:smith:

Wow, that there is the falsest flag I've ever seen.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Nintendo Kid posted:

Please donate to my Kickstarter to chisel the entire SA archives into a massive slab of stone

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Please donate to my Kickstarter to chisel the entire SA archives into a massive slab of stone

gently caress erosion, etch that poo poo on the moon with fuckin lasers

Edit: whoa, this isn't the chat thread. Sorry.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
There is probably some super massive NSA server under a mountain that has the entire internet on it. So the aliens can find it 10,000 years from now and marvel at humanities simultaneous greatest and worst achievement.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Nintendo Kid posted:

Do they literally have stuff vaulted off and protected to last centuries? I always imagined it was just a big rear end library lol

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Quote of the day, “I’m looking forward to McConnell shoving his fist up Obama’s rear end. Although, he will, no doubt, like it.” ~ Jim Dornan, national field director of the Ben Carson Presidential exploratory committee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Joementum posted:

Quote of the day, “I’m looking forward to McConnell shoving his fist up Obama’s rear end. Although, he will, no doubt, like it.” ~ Jim Dornan, national field director of the Ben Carson Presidential exploratory committee.

The Carson campaign is so much funnier than the Cain one. Carson is actually legit serious and it's magical.

• Locked thread