Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

I liked Castanets - You Are The Blood for the ending blastwaves. I also liked how in the earlier part of the game when there is the scene with Beard in San Francisco, they use the opening bit as part of the sound effect (I think!).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Ambivalent posted:

I liked Castanets - You Are The Blood for the ending blastwaves. I also liked how in the earlier part of the game when there is the scene with Beard in San Francisco, they use the opening bit as part of the sound effect (I think!).
I thought that opening bit in the ending was supposed to be the blastwaves at first. It was cool see that was actually in the track. The Way Home,Run (the song in Subway, not sure if that title is right) and the title screen song are probably my favorite songs just from memory.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
In case there was any doubt about Pardo having a hosed up hero complex, for a brief second during the outro for chapter 2 there's an imagined ghost cameraman over his shoulder (garbo phone pic again, sorry ps4)

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.

Wilhelm_Scream.wav posted:

In case there was any doubt about Pardo having a hosed up hero complex, for a brief second during the outro for chapter 2 there's an imagined ghost cameraman over his shoulder (garbo phone pic again, sorry ps4)

I never noticed.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Yeah I thought that was a Hard-only change, but then when I did the "I'm Coming In, and I'm Unarmed!" achievement, they were there on Normal too.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Skunkrocker posted:

I never noticed.

It happens just after the cop in the next room takes a picture during the dialogue.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!

CJacobs posted:

It happens just after the cop in the next room takes a picture during the dialogue.

There's a flash and you can see a whole film crew. I missed it the first time because I was reading the subtitles.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

The soundtrack in this is balling out of control

It's so loving good

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Is the bearded soldier supposed to be the bearded janitor in Hotline Miami 1? It's hard to tell since the artstyle changed a little.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

ZenVulgarity posted:

The soundtrack in this is balling out of control

It's so loving good

:agreed:

As I listen to this soundtrack I like to kick back, turn to Richard and say "Yes, I do enjoy hurting other people."

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

RatHat posted:

Is the bearded soldier supposed to be the bearded janitor in Hotline Miami 1? It's hard to tell since the artstyle changed a little.

The bearded solider is explicitly the convenience store guy in HM1.

GLAAD trash bags
Jan 4, 2015

RatHat posted:

Yeah, he is, it also might be hard to tell your first time through but the fourth soldier in his group, the blonde guy that never talks and you save in the last soldier level is Jacket.
Don't really know how much of a spoiler it is so I tagged it.

GLAAD trash bags fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Mar 17, 2015

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

RatHat posted:

Like Crappy Jack said, the soldier is the glasses-wearing bearded guy from all the stores in the first game. The bearded janitor from the first game is a self-insert of Jonaton Soderstrom, one of the lead designers of the game.

Baron La Croix
Nov 2, 2010

rastah farah
sonnah maddah fah
I've never gone so fast from hating a song to loving it as when Run came on in the subway level.

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Take your pervert war elsewhere.

Baron La Croix posted:

I've never gone so fast from hating a song to loving it as when Run came on in the subway level.

It's doubly better when you enter ragemode.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Baron La Croix posted:

Reading the comments for this, it's amazing how many people share that same opinion. I don't think there's a single song on the soundtrack I don't like, which is quite a feat because this is the second Hotline Miami game in a row to do that for me! :v:

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

CJacobs posted:

Reading the comments for this, it's amazing how many people share that same opinion. I don't think there's a single song on the soundtrack I don't like, which is quite a feat because this is the second Hotline Miami game in a row to do that for me! :v:

Same. It is even more impressive because there are 49 tracks in the friggin' soundtrack and they're all from pretty good to loving amazing.

Vic Boss
Jan 19, 2007

:ocelot:
You're pretty good.

ZearothK posted:

Same. It is even more impressive because there are 49 tracks in the friggin' soundtrack and they're all from pretty good to loving amazing.

50 if you include The Castanets in the credit sequence.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
I need to go home and add the remixes, I normally hate remixed songs but listening to them at work makes me regret not putting them on originally.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

I think Jake is a code name...

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Saw this Pardo fanart and thought it was pretty good:

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

CJacobs posted:

Literally perfect and spot-on fanart, god drat.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Got the soundtrack on my phone and drat. Blasting The Way Home is a quick way to make a drive overly emotional.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
btw if you love the soundtrack, check out the New Retro Wave thread in gibbis http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3598433
really recommendable

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

I'm still not sure how the story in Hotline Miami 1 fits together. So Jacket's levels are all "real" until he gets bonked on the head by Biker, and then... what? In a coma he overhears how his girlfriend is offed by Richter? And Beard wasn't actually murdered by Richter, cause he has to move to San Francisco only to get a nuke dropped on him.

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall

Fuligin posted:

I'm still not sure how the story in Hotline Miami 1 fits together. So Jackets levels are all "real" until he gets bonked on the head by Biker, and then... what? In a coma he overhears how his girlfriend is offed by Richter? And Beard wasn't actually murdered by Richter, cause he has to move to San Francisco only to get a nuke dropped on him.

The whole game is supposed to be a coma dream until Trauma. Jacket is dreaming that he killed Biker, but he actually survived that blow to the face.

CJacobs posted:

Pardo's levels are my favorite. I managed to do a Full Combo on Homicide, I thought it would be impossible because of the elevator:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgUBUi_p5yM

Ledgy fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Mar 17, 2015

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Ledgy posted:

Pardo's levels are my favorite. I managed to do a Full Combo on Homicide, I thought it would be impossible because of the elevator:

drat, I wish I could be ridiculously accurate with firearms too.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

MONKET posted:

It's doubly better when you enter ragemode.

YES. Best song in the whole game to be throwing off your jacket to. The sound track in general is amazing though.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

Fuligin posted:

I'm still not sure how the story in Hotline Miami 1 fits together. So Jacket's levels are all "real" until he gets bonked on the head by Biker, and then... what? In a coma he overhears how his girlfriend is offed by Richter? And Beard wasn't actually murdered by Richter, cause he has to move to San Francisco only to get a nuke dropped on him.

Jacket's levels until before he gets bonked in the head are all hazy recollections of them while he's in his coma. Don't really know how he heard about Richter. Beard was nuked in San Francisco before the events of the first game. Jacket hallucinates Beard in his coma dreams.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I still wish we could have gotten some tracks from HM1 back in the game too. I miss Hydrogen.

Vic Boss
Jan 19, 2007

You're pretty good.

FrickenMoron posted:

I still wish we could have gotten some tracks from HM1 back in the game too. I miss Hydrogen.

I think reusing even a single track from the old game would have made people mad, based on how much they love the series for its great soundtracks. I'm sure people will mod in all the old tunes anyway.

GLAAD trash bags
Jan 4, 2015

Fuligin posted:

I thought it worked like Jacket and Biker beat each other up pretty bad but Biker knocked Jacket out and got away first, making him able to do the rest of his story, and Jacket woke up later and was just misremembering cause he was unconscious at the time and probably came up with "I'm not dead, so I must have killed the other guy, and it was real messed up and violent cause that's just how I am"

But the first game was probably set up to just be confusing in general so who really knows::v:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

FutureFriend posted:

Don't really know how he heard about Richter.

Well, he does keep a lot of newspaper clippings. I thought they were spread out all over his apartment before going to attack the police station?

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

Well, he does keep a lot of newspaper clippings. I thought they were spread out all over his apartment before going to attack the police station?

I think that was before Vengeance, and they're the files he got FROM the police station. I recall that he stopped keeping clippings about his murder sprees when he started tidying up his place with his girlfriend.

Vic Boss
Jan 19, 2007

You're pretty good.

Eaten by Tigers posted:

I thought it worked like Jacket and Biker beat each other up pretty bad but Biker knocked Jacket out and got away first, making him able to do the rest of his story, and Jacket woke up later and was just misremembering cause he was unconscious at the time and probably came up with "I'm not dead, so I must have killed the other guy, and it was real messed up and violent cause that's just how I am"

But the first game was probably set up to just be confusing in general so who really knows::v:

Actually, one piece of dialogue Biker has in HLM2 in his secret cutscene is that he never figured out who was doing the phone calls and why. It's something he's been thinking about. If his whole ending had been canon, I would have thought he had figured this stuff out.

A youtube of the secret cutscene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDODs-CBsy8

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

I beat the Pardo dock level on hard earlier after 53 minutes. I got stuck at the level with 3 rooms made of tiny windows and couldn't figure out how to get past the second room without alerting the fat guys until I fired a round while hiding in the first one. The opening of the one right after makes you react instantly but it's good practice for evading fire.

Xythe
Aug 4, 2010

Stop getting mad at video games. No stop insulting his mother what is wrong with you.

Vic Boss posted:

secret cutscene

I got that cutscene and didn't really do anything special, I think. How is it secret?

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Amorphous Blob posted:

I beat the Pardo dock level on hard earlier after 53 minutes. I got stuck at the level with 3 rooms made of tiny windows and couldn't figure out how to get past the second room without alerting the fat guys until I fired a round while hiding in the first one. The opening of the one right after makes you react instantly but it's good practice for evading fire.

That's the level that taught me on hard? If you don't have a melee ability, bring a gun to every floor, either a silenced pistol or a shotgun, cause the first rear end in a top hat you encounter will be a fat gently caress.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Xythe posted:

I got that cutscene and didn't really do anything special, I think. How is it secret?

You can miss it, and the game doesn't tell you how to get it. Sounds secret to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xythe
Aug 4, 2010

Stop getting mad at video games. No stop insulting his mother what is wrong with you.

Nanomashoes posted:

You can miss it, and the game doesn't tell you how to get it. Sounds secret to me.

I wasn't being a jackass, jackass. I got it and want to know the requirements for unlocking it.

• Locked thread