Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
qirex
Feb 15, 2001

patient: it hertz
doctor: how often?
patient: once per second!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

refleks posted:

good job on asking all those people what "brand activation" is and then not explaining it

I'm sure pagancow will explain it

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

As advocates of multi-channel marketing, we must get back to the basic values of understanding data (which is critical in the ideation process), insight, timeliness, relevance and creativity to ensure any activation activity is effective and memorable. It can be done.

It's also essential to understand the importance of a seamless, joined-up approach to activation; rather than a series of disconnected, tactical executions. Either one agency needs to manage all elements of activation or agencies need to work collaboratively and stop protecting their ownership of the client for the benefit of the wider brand activity. The answer ultimately lies in the ambition of the brand combined with the insight, expertise and planning unearthed by agencies from a strategic, data and creative point of view. Only these components coupled with collaboration will deliver engaging activity that captures consumers' hearts and minds.

Brand Activation rallies around activity that brings brands to life and encourages positive participation - physically or digitally. Regardless of how we deploy this activity, let's get the basics right. This will in turn deliver tangible and mutually beneficial value to clients, brands and customers alike.

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
i'm the marketing guy, pagancow "just" makes advertisements

a brand activation in the simplest terms is getting people to engage with your brand with the desired effect. the effect might be positioning, i.e. you want them to think of your brand as classy and desirable (or a great value/safe/whatever), or it might be something like signing up for your newsletter/beta program, or maybe even trying your product like demoing your video game or test driving your car or listening to your headphones.

so you set up a table/booth at sxsw or throw a party and get people to come activate (do something) with your brand/product and then reward them.

it's the basic concept of community engagement, that is, do something/get something.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

doesn't "and their followers" cut a pretty wide swath across twitter?

(also, idk wtf "fleek" is)

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Subjunctive posted:

welcome to being an old

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

qirex posted:

welcome to being an old

hoverwife refers to all new music as dubstep since i taught her the term back in like 2011 or whenever skrillex won all those grammys

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

hoverwife refers to all new music as dubstep since i taught her the term back in like 2011 or whenever skrillex won all those grammys

That's pretty accurate, no new genes or movements have popped up since like '07

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
it's not dubstep it's electro

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

Jonny 290 posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Witch_house_%28music_genre%29

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Beast of Bourbon posted:

i'm the marketing guy, pagancow "just" makes advertisements

a brand activation in the simplest terms is getting people to engage with your brand with the desired effect. the effect might be positioning, i.e. you want them to think of your brand as classy and desirable (or a great value/safe/whatever), or it might be something like signing up for your newsletter/beta program, or maybe even trying your product like demoing your video game or test driving your car or listening to your headphones.

so you set up a table/booth at sxsw or throw a party and get people to come activate (do something) with your brand/product and then reward them.

it's the basic concept of community engagement, that is, do something/get something.

so it is the marketing equivalent of a hit counter on a Web page going up by one?

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Jonny 290 posted:

just got my 'trending subgenres' meatport email

tropical house
g-house
minimal dnb
future house
hyper pop
melbourne bounce
future garage
trap
bass music

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

graph posted:

tropical house
g-house
minimal dnb
future house
hyper pop
melbourne bounce
future garage
trap
bass music

synthwave :newlol:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Subjunctive posted:

doesn't "and their followers" cut a pretty wide swath across twitter?

roughly, stylish. often used as "on fleek" the way you might say someone's outfit/makeup was "on point".

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

graph posted:

tropical house
g-house
minimal dnb
future house
hyper pop
melbourne bounce
future garage
trap
bass music

for shame

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1Spjf_6FfM

sissybounce should be the official yospos genre

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
g-house is raps over house

its real tryhard bad

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I'M THE LYRICAL JESSE JAMES

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Nintendo Kid posted:

roughly, stylish.

that explains why I've never heard it :negative:

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug

Shifty Pony posted:

so it is the marketing equivalent of a hit counter on a Web page going up by one?

yep, pretty much but with more performance tracking (except in the case of like a party). most brand activations use special websites or campaign tracking to get accurate stats on that activation's success and ROI. like all those people standing around with iPads trying to get your info or scanning your badge with their NFC tracker thing are doing it as part of a brand activation and then will likely use that for marketing purposes later. this is called retargeting.

if it's just a 6 foot table with people wearing company t-shirts throwing branded lanyards in to a crowd or handing out bottles of water with the company logo on that, that's just promotion and not really an activation.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

i'm the maniac braniac

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Beast of Bourbon posted:

that's just promotion and not really an activation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiukc1yfzCI

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Beast of Bourbon posted:

engage with your brand
:barf:

crusader_complex
Jun 4, 2012
so many words for 'techno'

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

graph posted:

tropical house
g-house
minimal dnb
future house
hyper pop
melbourne bounce
future garage
trap
bass music

future garage is the best new genre name and is actually kinda good, esp the di.fm channel

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I assume future garage is like all other garage, e.g. watered down D&B for the finest thai fusion cocktail lounge restaurants

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
the garage/2step fad had the highest concentration of dimes on the dance floor of just about any wave in the past 20

i still dig it tbh

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

i don't think grime is very new but i like the idea of a genre with its name

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

you're more the lyrical coward robert ford

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

fritz posted:

SAX TRILL

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

fritz posted:

:drat:

pointers
Sep 4, 2008

e:f,b

pointers
Sep 4, 2008

crusader_complex posted:

so many words for 'techno'
nobody listens to techno

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

wasn't salem's disasterous sxsw set in like 2007? witch house disqualified

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
fyi for anyone reading its pronounced 'garridge' not 'garage'

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

graph posted:

fyi for anyone reading its pronounced 'garridge' not 'garage'

dizzee rascal's whole career was already over by 2007, so that's definitely not post 2007 either. also garridge, 2step and grime are all the same thing i don't care what anyone says

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
http://rideleap.com/

there are no words

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

a $5 bus from the marina to soma with a concierge, seems like a great idea

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

somebody already tried this and failed at it, they even used the same route, marina > financial district

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
grime is so very different

and worse

• Locked thread