Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

graph posted:

fyi for anyone reading its pronounced 'garridge' not 'garage'

hahah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug

jre posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiukc1yfzCI

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Jonny 290 posted:

grime is so very different

and worse

dont hate on grime

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Awia posted:

dont hate on grime

its the sound of bored miscreant british youth

no quiero

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

buses, DISRUPTED

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Moist von Lipwig posted:

future garage is the best new genre name and is actually kinda good, esp the di.fm channel

future garage is wack. it's like a bunch of ~contemporary~ influences thrown in a blender without any care for dance-ability or the underlying mechanics of the parent genre. it's a dead end

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I have breakbeat science's "science faction: grime" and the first 2 run the road compilations, it's not the best raps ever but there's worse out there and at least it's usually pretty tongue-in-cheek

I wish it was easier to find britcore, even in london it was like impossible

OldAlias posted:

future garage is wack. it's like a bunch of ~contemporary~ influences thrown in a blender without any care for dance-ability or the underlying mechanics of the parent genre. it's a dead end
yeah I just did some digging on youtube and it seems like future garage is "do whatever man, just make sure you have that pitched-up 2step kick a couple times a second [don't worry about them being on beat or anything though]"

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

qirex posted:

I have breakbeat science's "science faction: grime" and the first 2 run the road compilations, it's not the best raps ever but there's worse out there and at least it's usually pretty tongue-in-cheek

I wish it was easier to find britcore, even in london it was like impossible

That's because it's poo poo

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

quote:

Our buses are fueled by renewable natural gas

hmmm :crossarms:

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

OldAlias posted:

ehhh instead of kinda good I should've said 'fairly okay' i guess, I've heard about 20 tracks and maybe 2-3 were something I'd put on a playlist

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

anything that dubs itself future is some instantly dated poo poo. there's some good producers who will get lumped under the banner but no one good will be seeking to call their work that

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

i'm listening to some random future garage playlist on rdio right now and it all sounds like weird twitchy balearic house with twee as gently caress vocals. what the gently caress

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

is this the one that went out of business in like 2013, claimed they'd be back in 2014, and is finally coming back now?

also: over.under in them realizing the fake wood panel at the back of their bus that goes exactly as slow as the sf transit bus on the same route will not maintain customers, yet again?

qirex posted:

somebody already tried this and failed at it, they even used the same route, marina > financial district

i'm like 90% sure this is literally the same company as that time, and they've finally got another vc round

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Jonny 290 posted:

its the sound of bored miscreant british youth

no quiero

suits me

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
the bus. but with phonecoin

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

graph posted:

fyi for anyone reading its pronounced 'garridge' not 'garage'

foyer is FOY-ayyy lmao

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
fast foyer transform

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

there is one true genre of music and it's 1970s FM hard rock stations as interpreted by people in Norway when the signal that bounced off the moon finally reached them thus making them culturally backward

and it all ended up on spotify somehow

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

everything will one day converge on inuit throat singing

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
if you listen to anything except brazilian jazz oyu're listening to undanceable garbage

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
omg DJ respect the dance floor

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
can you play something we can dance to?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

born on a buy you posted:

if you listen to anything except brazilian jazz oyu're listening to undanceable garbage

ethiopian jazz supremacy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsT7dY65-Vo

Nagato
Apr 26, 2011

Why yes my username is the same as an autistic alien who looks like a 9 year old from an anime, why do ask?
:nyoron:

Nintendo Kid posted:

also: over.under in them realizing the fake wood panel at the back of their bus that goes exactly as slow as the sf transit bus on the same route will not maintain customers, yet again?

that moment when u realize that all these "disruptive" companies get VC money for trying to cater public transportation to rich white ppl

and only get big if there are subprime car loans for poors involved

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Nagato posted:

that moment when u realize that all these "disruptive" companies get VC money for trying to cater public transportation to rich white ppl

and only get big if there are subprime car loans for poors involved

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Nintendo Kid posted:

i'm like 90% sure this is literally the same company as that time, and they've finally got another vc round
yeah, it's them

Nagato
Apr 26, 2011

Why yes my username is the same as an autistic alien who looks like a 9 year old from an anime, why do ask?
:nyoron:
The bus comes with WiFi and leather seats, but they cost three times as much as MUNI. And I’m supposing you and your wheelchair would be better off on MUNI, just a guess. And, oh yes, you pretty much need an Apple iPhone (or as close an iOS device as possible) to climb aboard.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Nintendo Kid posted:

is this the one that went out of business in like 2013, claimed they'd be back in 2014, and is finally coming back now?

oh, but the leap bus picks up until 10am inbound and 8pm outbound, whereas the 30X stops picking up at 9am and 6:20pm respectively and you'd have to walk a block to catch the 30

how is this company even getting vc money, they probably need to be half-full every trip just to break even on fuel and labor, much less maintenance and capital expenses

not even über drivers are dumb enough to buy an entire bus just to drive it around for a company for a share of the fares

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
last time this bus ran, you had to make a reservation to be on it for each day otherwise you might not get a seat

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

rjmccall posted:

how is this company even getting vc money, they probably need to be half-full every trip just to break even on fuel and labor, much less maintenance and capital expenses

no don't you get it this is the proof of concept so if it's popular enough they'll pray real hard and the gods of economies of scale will bless them with a magic ring that makes 1000 unprofitable bus rides somehow look better financially than 100

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
http://nypost.com/2015/03/16/taxi-kingpin-in-debt-thanks-to-uber/

The city’s “Taxi Kingpin’’ is having trouble hacking it as he battles mounds of debt — thanks to Uber.

Gene Freidman, who owns more than 900 city cab medallions, has been hit so hard by the car-hailing app that he can’t meet his bills — and Citibank is now foreclosing on at least 90 of his medallions to recoup what he owes, court records and sources say.

“Gene Freidman’s business model requires him to lease out hundreds of cars every day, and because he can’t find drivers because of Uber, [it] means he’s not making money,” an industry source told The Post.

“All of these [medallion owners] borrow as much as they can against medallions, and they get cash-crunched when, all of a sudden, you get competition in the market.”

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
dude owns 900 medallions valued at 800k to 1.2 million each and is behind on 30m in loans?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Cardboard Box A posted:

http://nypost.com/2015/03/16/taxi-kingpin-in-debt-thanks-to-uber/

The city’s “Taxi Kingpin’’ is having trouble hacking it as he battles mounds of debt — thanks to Uber.

Gene Freidman, who owns more than 900 city cab medallions, has been hit so hard by the car-hailing app that he can’t meet his bills — and Citibank is now foreclosing on at least 90 of his medallions to recoup what he owes, court records and sources say.

“Gene Freidman’s business model requires him to lease out hundreds of cars every day, and because he can’t find drivers because of Uber, [it] means he’s not making money,” an industry source told The Post.

“All of these [medallion owners] borrow as much as they can against medallions, and they get cash-crunched when, all of a sudden, you get competition in the market.”

good

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

they are only valued at 800k-1.2m each because they are never on the market

if all of his went on the market at the same time who knows what they'd actually be worth

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Beast of Bourbon posted:

dude owns 900 medallions valued at 800k to 1.2 million each and is behind on 30m in loans?

he's been in big trouble in the past:
http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/taxi-mogul-pay-1-2m-alleged-rip-off-article-1.1552626

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I refuse to feel bad for anyone whose business plan starts with "assume the value of thing X will increase forever"

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

qirex posted:

I refuse to feel bad for anyone whose business plan starts with "assume the value of thing X will increase forever"

yeah and his illegal poo poo being smacked down is why he can't make payments now lol

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

:negative:
if only I hadn't made a long series of super shady business decisions

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
sounds like the bitter musings of dudes that cant hack capitalism t b q HHHHHH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
almost a full page discussion of brooding electronic sub-genres and no post-ironic mentions of sea punk being washed-up i thought this was loving yospos

• Locked thread