Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I get the feeling I'd have loved FFT as a kid but by the time I actually got round to emulating it the pace was so slow it was just a complete turnoff. It's kinda weird in Codename STEAM's case though because it's made by the Fire Emblem guys and that's a series which really consciously avoided slow-mode tedium. It's like in transferring to 3D they forgot all the quality-of-life practices they'd developed over the years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I once tried to play FFT a second time. I did not get very far.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Was watching a video showing the history of the Dynasty Warriors series and there are people in the comments saying things like "DYNASTY WARRIORS 5 IS THE BEST :byodood:" and people reply "no it's 4" and then someone else comes along and says "bullshit DW6 is the best".

But... aren't they all mostly the same game? :psyduck:

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
Everyone who bought that crappy new Final Fantasy spin-off game just to play the demo to the inevitably terrible FF15 please fess up now so we can make fun of you

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Aren't all the new FF games on some expensive Sony doodad, anyway?

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Adam Bowen posted:

inevitably terrible FF15

Why will it be terrible? It seems alright from what they showed us so far.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Final Fantasy hasn't been really good since 9. 12 was solid though.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Accordion Man posted:

Lightning Returns was good and in fact better than most FFs, largely by virtue of being a Final Fantasy pretty much in name only. When is that damned steam release coming?

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Accordion Man posted:

You seem to have accidentally turned your 6 upside down and implied that Final Fantasy 9 was a good game, please correct that so everyone doesn't think you're a drooling retard who posts by pounding his fat retard face against the keyboard

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Final Fantasy 9 is a good game, and it's fun to play.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
6 and 9 are both good games, though 6 is better.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

FactsAreUseless posted:

I can't reply to this post yet because I have to wait another 45 seconds for it to load

Notinghamington
Oct 24, 2008

You're Lonely Rolling Gem

Accordion Man posted:

I liked 13-2. Mainly because I went all "Pokemon" on it and tried to get all the best monsters.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

FactsAreUseless posted:

Ok it loaded, this is a bad post

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Ah, we're at the part of the cycle where we argue which Final Fantasy games are playable, mostly against Adam Bowen, again

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Shadow Hearts is better than Final Fantasy anyway.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Accordion Man posted:

Shadow Hearts is better than Final Fantasy anyway.
It's a shame the series died and had a bad third game.

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

The best part about Final Fantasy arguments is that people who say anything from the 13 series is good always has to list reasons why, before anyone asks

Meanwhile with 6 and 9 you can just say they're good and drop the mic

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

FactsAreUseless posted:

It's a shame the series died and had a bad third game.
The third game had the best gameplay, it just had worse characters due to being more like a generic JRPG. Still good though.

God, Johnny was a bland as poo poo protagonist compared to Koudelka and Yuri.

Notinghamington
Oct 24, 2008

You're Lonely Rolling Gem
I fell into the cycle I had no idea existed!! :negative:

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

Bicyclops posted:

Ah, we're at the part of the cycle where we argue which Final Fantasy games are playable, mostly against Adam Bowen, again

im gonna have to agree here with adam bowen that the answer is 2, 3, and the new online one

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

14 owns, for an MMO

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Big Scary Owl posted:

Why will it be terrible? It seems alright from what they showed us so far.

It's called Final Fantasy, that's a pretty good indicator it's gonna blow.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
type 0 is good so far

haven't played the xv demo yet might never bother

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

gay skull posted:

The best part about Final Fantasy arguments is that people who say anything from the 13 series is good always has to list reasons why, before anyone asks

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

gay skull posted:

lightning returns is good

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

corn in the bible posted:

lightning returns is good

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

the crafting in 14 is the most fun i've had crafting in a video game

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

If you put the best Final Fantasy numbers together you get 6 and 9, which form the official funny number "69". 13 is a very unfunny number so there's no wonder it's bad.

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

Also I couldn't think of any Irish games, or anything really very "green" to play for St Patrick's Day. I guess I coulda played the Flogging Molly songs in Guitar Hero but gently caress it I burnt out on that game years ago

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

gay skull posted:

Also I couldn't think of any Irish games, or anything really very "green" to play for St Patrick's Day. I guess I coulda played the Flogging Molly songs in Guitar Hero but gently caress it I burnt out on that game years ago

Super Luigi U

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

precision posted:

I once tried to play FFT a second time. I did not get very far.

conversely, I've played FFT a lot and even got some of the romhacks for it that change a bunch of stuff around, the hard mode/better AI hacks, custom/updated sprite hacks, etc.

game is awesome

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
by the time 13 was made, most of the people who made the series so good had already left or peaked too early in their careers

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

13 is a horrible game but at least it has this

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

Adam Bowen posted:

13 is a horrible game but at least it has this

the trick to this is some kind of motivation to click. you need them to expect something they wanted, only to be met with the mediocrity of mr astley, and by extension, life.

the shame of being meme'd

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Sounds like you're feeling down, need a pick-me-up?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

gay skull posted:

flogging molly is american

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Ambivalent posted:

conversely, I've played FFT a lot and even got some of the romhacks for it that change a bunch of stuff around, the hard mode/better AI hacks, custom/updated sprite hacks, etc.

game is awesome

I only tried to play that game once and one of my units permanently died on the first map, then a treasure chest disappeared before I could get to it, and I was like "Yeah I'm going back to playing WCW vs NWO revenge"

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

I only tried to play that game once and one of my units permanently died on the first map, then a treasure chest disappeared before I could get to it, and I was like "Yeah I'm going back to playing WCW vs NWO revenge"

game can be hard before you start to understand what all the numbers mean and how to position yourself and stuff, and even then, it isn't the easiest. There's some more obtuse systems like Faith levels can lead to your character either taking/recovering almost no damage from spells, or getting blown up by a single Fire spell. But I really think it is a terrific game~ The gameplay, the jobs, the spritework, the sound effects, the music, the story, the style, etc. It is one of my favorite games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
9 is the best Final Fantasy full stop.

• Locked thread