Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
the final solution to roleplaying games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

PurpleXVI posted:

Well get yourself over to F&F and review that mess of a system for us, then.

I actually found out about this because the designers are on RPGGeek asking for reviews. I honestly don't even know where to begin on telling him how much of a mess this is and how bad it comes across.

(also I need to get back on my Torg review first and I'm pissed because my computer crashed and ate the Torg post I was working on for two hours :argh:)

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I'm not reading that boring crap! Die!!!

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
You don't save big posts using a word processor until they're done?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

UnCO3 posted:

You don't save big posts using a word processor until they're done?

Nope! I was doing it in Notepad++ (which I prefer to write posts in) and the recovery file got mangled.

My own fault for not saving really, but still. Annoying.

Random blabber
Dec 14, 2013

quote:

Specifically speaking all characters within the Fyxt RPG must be able to perceive something in order to be able to react to it or interact with it.

Phew, existential crisis averted.

Seriously though, what? I don't understand why you need this rule. Is this their attempt to stop meta-gaming?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Random blabber posted:

Phew, existential crisis averted.

Seriously though, what? I don't understand why you need this rule. Is this their attempt to stop meta-gaming?

Who knows. It was part of the Perception skill description.

I mean, this whole thing screams "WE ONLY EVER PLAYED D&D" more loudly than anything I've ever seen. They use "unlike Dungeons & Dragons" three times within four paragraphs on the Items page.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Evil Mastermind posted:

I mean, this whole thing screams "WE ONLY EVER PLAYED D&D" more loudly than anything I've ever seen.
Not true!

quote:

Dungeons & Dragons 2nd Edition, Dungeons & Dragons Skills and Powers, Dungeons & Dragons 3rd Edition, Dungeons & Dragons 3.5, Dungeons & Dragons 4th Edition, Dungeons & Dragons 5e (Next), Pathfinder, Whitewolf, Rifts, GURPS, and a few others

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Aren't all those games absurdly hyperdetailed? Yikes. My fingers are curving into warding gestures right now.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Fyxt is love.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
Sounds like this damp spud's brain needs to be "Fyxt"...Lol.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Who knows. It was part of the Perception skill description.

I mean, this whole thing screams "WE ONLY EVER PLAYED D&D" more loudly than anything I've ever seen. They use "unlike Dungeons & Dragons" three times within four paragraphs on the Items page.

You know, I can never get mad at someone for playing D&D and thinking 'Man, you know, this could be better.' I know it mostly only leads to heartbreakers but it's a perfectly natural instinct.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Oh my God they have a gallery of demotivational posters in the Year of Luigi 2015.

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora
I love the Choose Your Power picture at the top of this page so much.

Be the hero you want to be! Choose from amazing powers like Wizard, Gun, Alien Invasion, or Bird!

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Kellsterik posted:

Sounds like this damp spud's brain needs to be "Fyxt"...Lol.

With a .45 bullet :dukedog: :twisted: :hellyeah:

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Lynx Winters posted:

I love the Choose Your Power picture at the top of this page so much.

Be the hero you want to be! Choose from amazing powers like Wizard, Gun, Alien Invasion, or Bird!

Bird is a little broken. They should nerf it. It's unfair to Wizard, Gun, and Alien Invasion players.

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
something in your make~up
don't see eye to e~y~e

Waffleman_ posted:

Oh my God they have a gallery of demotivational posters in the Year of Luigi 2015.

what the poo poo these are like

does someone become this insufferable on their own or is there like

a process

Serf
May 5, 2011

Fyxt followed me on twitter and I was coming here to post about it, but I see things are already under way. Carry on.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I really do want to just tell these guys to just...not do this, and to play games that were designed less than ten years ago, but somehow I feel like that's not the kinds of "reviews" they want to hear. Plus I have no idea where to start.

Ningyou posted:

what the poo poo these are like

does someone become this insufferable on their own or is there like

a process
Yes, the process is "never interacting with people outside of Facebook".

Serf posted:

Fyxt followed me on twitter and I was coming here to post about it, but I see things are already under way. Carry on.
Did they ask you what you thought about their game?

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

Trasson posted:

Super Dungeon Explore uses used this system.

Thankfully that is no longer the case in the new edition, tracking what monsters you used in a round on a 5 player game got to be a real pain for me.

Also skull tokens were primarily used to spawn extra monsters in the spawning phase, not activate new monsters on the consul turn.
:goonsay:

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
My favorite Fyxt image.

Also this IS the craziest thing

quote:

The Fyxt RPG is designed to be infinitely flexible, manageable, balanced, and more fun than any other RPG system.
...out of the five or so that we've played over the years.

Edit: the player videos are all dudes in their late 30s/early 40s. This is exactly the kind of thing that the group I know that still plays AD&D 2e would produce if they were industrious.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Mar 17, 2015

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Fyxt: The Neutering

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

God this is just sad. There's no other word for it.

quote:

I tried to lay out the website so you can go left to right in a Learn What it is -> What are Specifics -> How to play.

What to play: Is an explanation of the ideas of the broad choices a character makes and why. Archetype=Class(ish), Are you going to be a character that attacks or defends? Do you want to do 1 thing great, or a lot of things good?

Build A Character: The specifics of each pieces, what the numbers do. Traits influence Skills then select Specialties and Powers to focus character to exact job/abilities.

Run A Game - Explains the different states of the game. Real Time, Turn Time, Battle Time and what you can do in them. How to GM those states of the Game.

Is there a PDF or something for the rules? No. But maybe I need to add something that is the mechanics in a nutshell. The website calculates everything, so players don't have to. But I do understand gamers want to know is behind the numbers.

Here is a super high level of the mechanics.
Traits: Base attribute scores of a character. Start with 12 Points. At least 1 in each trait.
Hit Points: Sum of Traits x Level x Character Tier
Skill Score: Associated Trait (Increase 2 Skills per Level)
Defenses: Trait +10 (Body, Mind, or Spirit)
Attacks: Trait (Body, Mind, or Spirit)
Damage/Healing Bonus: Trait (Body, Mind, or Spirit)

Items, Specialties, Powers can affect all but base Traits.

Is that kind of what you are looking for? Since this is not a traditional RPG in a lot of ways, I have struggled with the best way to present it.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Oh god. :( From the Kickstarter:

quote:

I have already spent my savings and 401K to establish the Fyxt RPG. Now that I know that it works and people want to play it, it is time to take the next step. As the Fyxt RPG grows, it needs to be moved to a large and powerful dedicated managed server. Since the Fyxt RPG does all the calculations and storing of game data, it is very important to utilize a server that can handle a lot of traffic and backend calculations. This is the primary reason for the Kickstarter. FyxtRPG.com needs to move from servers that cost hundreds of dollars a year to servers that cost thousands of dollars a year. We also need to ensure the website is up and available 24/7, so we need technical support to troubleshoot any server issues and bring the site back online as soon as possible.

:(

It is a heartbreaker.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

It is a heartbreaker.

Jesus Christ I missed that completely. This is the :smithicide:-est thing.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Are you sure this isn't a parody of some sort?

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

It is a heartbreaker.

Okay, I think we should stop mocking Fyxt now, because it is just too sad. I am too sad. I don't want to read this thread anymore.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

If it is, that's a shitton of work on that site for a prank, which is sad in a different way.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
This industry is amazing.

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice

gnome7 posted:

Okay, I think we should stop mocking Fyxt now, because it is just too sad. I am too sad. I don't want to read this thread anymore.
Well if you want another topic: What was the development of Law's Out like?

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Captain Walker posted:

I know the honeymoon is sort of over re: goonpinions of Dungeon World, but I would argue there's no better gateway to the magical land of "RPGs that are not Dungeons and Dragons". Have fun, Famethrowa! Post a trip report.

I was asked, so I provide.

Was a bit clumsy to start with because I was so accustomed to asking players to roll for things, but once we hit our pace everything just clicked. Was really cool to see the skimpy starting hamlet I built in about 5 minutes grow as the players named locations and added to the map. There is something so freeing to not have to worry about naming locations they may or not decide to visit, and instead be able to focus on the framework of the whole campaign during prep.

Combat worked especially well. The players immediately intuited how cinematic combat could be, and had no trouble throwing away initiative and rounds. Seeing our really shy fighter player get into character and start roleplaying a badass fighter who gave no fucks, grabbing for his sword on the ground even when the three bandits robbing him have already laid him out and kicked his teeth in, was really cool :black101: . Seems like not having stats in the way really makes it easy for people to roleplay.

Overall a fantastic session. I enjoyed not having hours of prep, and the players enjoyed not having to crunch stats for every little action they made. We are going to continue learning, because we totally forgot to mark XP and resolve our bonds :shobon:

Famethrowa fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Mar 17, 2015

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

UnCO3 posted:

Well if you want another topic: What was the development of Law's Out like?

Actually that is a kind of hilarious story. I was working on a board game on the side for a while, off and on, with auctioning as a core mechanic for building up resources before "the real game", and I kept coming across the major problem that the auctioning part was more fun and interesting than anything else I could think of. I kept wracking my brains on it for ages on how to do something about that.

I was at my grandparent's place with no internet when I realized that I should rethink it from the ground up, and figure out how I could use auctioning as the core mechanic of a game. And then I had the idea, what if you bid for control of a scene, a la Fiasco? I had just bought Fiasco and had brought it with me while I was internet-free, and the more I thought about it the more I liked the idea.

From there, I wrote the entire game in under 24 hours in a notebook, then transferred it to writing on my PC. I tossed it around for a couple days, edited a few things, re-read it a few times, and then said "Alright I'm done thinking about this, let's upload it to the internet and see what happens". So the entire turnaround from writing it to finishing it was about 3 days, and then it was on DTRPG within a week of that after I got art and some formatting done.

So the entire turnaround from "initial idea" to "on the market" was about 8 days. It was extremely spur of the moment. I just had an idea and ran with it, and I really like the result. If you look closely, you can even find two typos in Law's Out that I missed, and I didn't clarify something about the Devil I should've. (If the Devil places a second bid after someone has taken the devil's deal, that person takes the second bid too).

I'm absolutely going to be writing more playsets for the system, but I'm focusing on finishing up Fellowship first right now, since it is much later than I'd like it to be. But that's gonna be the next project. I even have a name for the auctioning system - Final Bid. Law's Out is officially the first Final Bid playset.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

It is a heartbreaker.
I've never gone from :iamafag: to :gonk: so fast in my life :(

Splicer fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Mar 17, 2015

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice

gnome7 posted:

Actually that is a kind of hilarious story. I was working on a board game on the side for a while, off and on, with auctioning as a core mechanic for building up resources before "the real game", and I kept coming across the major problem that the auctioning part was more fun and interesting than anything else I could think of. I kept wracking my brains on it for ages on how to do something about that.

I was at my grandparent's place with no internet when I realized that I should rethink it from the ground up, and figure out how I could use auctioning as the core mechanic of a game. And then I had the idea, what if you bid for control of a scene, a la Fiasco? I had just bought Fiasco and had brought it with me while I was internet-free, and the more I thought about it the more I liked the idea.

From there, I wrote the entire game in under 24 hours in a notebook, then transferred it to writing on my PC. I tossed it around for a couple days, edited a few things, re-read it a few times, and then said "Alright I'm done thinking about this, let's upload it to the internet and see what happens". So the entire turnaround from writing it to finishing it was about 3 days, and then it was on DTRPG within a week of that after I got art and some formatting done.

So the entire turnaround from "initial idea" to "on the market" was about 8 days. It was extremely spur of the moment. I just had an idea and ran with it, and I really like the result. If you look closely, you can even find two typos in Law's Out that I missed, and I didn't clarify something about the Devil I should've. (If the Devil places a second bid after someone has taken the devil's deal, that person takes the second bid too).

I'm absolutely going to be writing more playsets for the system, but I'm focusing on finishing up Fellowship first right now, since it is much later than I'd like it to be. But that's gonna be the next project. I even have a name for the auctioning system - Final Bid. Law's Out is officially the first Final Bid playset.
I did notice the typoes - plus you said on the 6FU episode that it was probably the first time it'd been played, which is actually why I was interested in how it happened.

If you're talking playsets, I was thinking about maybe adapting the system to mountain climbing, what with how cut-throat, high-stakes and tense it can be. One mandatory character would be the Mountain - a bunch of their resources would be notoriously difficult and dangerous parts of the climb and the unpredictable weather, and they'd probably have an ability kind of like the Baron's where they can make the same bid as long as it's altitude or altitude-related. All the other characters would be different shades of mountain climber - the Tourist, the Veteran, the Soloist etc..

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

UnCO3 posted:

I did notice the typoes - plus you said on the 6FU episode that it was probably the first time it'd been played, which is actually why I was interested in how it happened.

If you're talking playsets, I was thinking about maybe adapting the system to mountain climbing, what with how cut-throat, high-stakes and tense it can be. One mandatory character would be the Mountain - a bunch of their resources would be notoriously difficult and dangerous parts of the climb and the unpredictable weather, and they'd probably have an ability kind of like the Baron's where they can make the same bid as long as it's altitude or altitude-related. All the other characters would be different shades of mountain climber - the Tourist, the Veteran, the Soloist etc..

That sounds really cool and I heartily endorse the idea of that playset.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Evil Mastermind posted:

In most role playing games such as Dungeons and Dragons,

The only role playing game that matters. I mean c'mon.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Spoiler: Fyxt is two years of this guy's life. Ugh fuuuuuck his little girls aren't going to college because daddy lived in a epistemic bubble. So depressing.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Fyxt isn't funny anymore. It just makes me sad inside.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I'll admit I gave him the best advice I could as politely as I could, but I'm pretty sure it's too little too late.

I do legitimately feel bad for the guy. He sank his life savings into this thing before he even started trying to generate word of mouth.

This is going to be the most expensive heartbreaker ever written. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
Fyxt is such an incredible shame because man, in 2015, presenting a new RPG as a website with online tools and support material and game database stuff seems like a no brainer.

It's just that the material this is used on is so randomly regressive. You have on the same page:

* advice to skip xp and just level people when you feel it's right - nice!
* wealth and gear by level table, and advice on how to cut people down if they have more than the 60,000 they're allowed at level 6 - ... what?

• Locked thread