Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

White noise generator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Break up PC games by major Windows or Direct X versions. If you had to upgrade one of those to play a game, it's next (at the time) gen!!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Light Gun Man posted:

Break up PC games by major Windows or Direct X versions. If you had to upgrade one of those to play a game, it's next (at the time) gen!!

Thing is, you rarely were required to upgrade. Games today still support Windows XP for some reason. DX9 support will probably last until 2020 and beyond. Windows has gone from as little as 2 years before the next iteration to 7. And digital distribution keeps a lot of these old titles in the spotlight. Like I don't think there's ever been a single point in history where you couldn't buy the original Doom, new, from id directly.

I know people who are like "If it wasn't DOS it's not retro." I just like to play games, man.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Speaking of retro ( :troll: ) the PS3 has its first official translation released!

Tales of Vesperia translation is now done and released! It also doesn't have their stupid requirement for the legit game anymore!

http://talesofvesperia.net/

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

The Kins posted:

So I heard that Castlevania Chronicles was a port of an X68000 remake of Castlevania 1, but I wasn't expecting it to be this faithful...

Not that I'm complaining, mind. The MIDI stuff is way better than the terrible redbook remixes in Arrange Mode.

I like some of the arrange mode tracks, they're... different. Techno-y dance house remixes or something. Like Vampire Killer and Wicked Child. One that stands out, though, is Moon Fight, with its awesome groovy slap bass (bassist, can't help it).

While the Roland GS module has better quality (and some bonus fills even), I like the LA versions overall the best, especially Thrashard In The Cave. :rock: It still retains the grittiness of other notable Castlevania chiptunes.

How far in the game have you gotten? I'd say it's one of the hardest old-style CVs.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
hey

check this http://ksiegarniafont.co.uk/en/21115-cps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6PCufiLr28

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Hollywood finally decided to pay attention to our hobby.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYmWApVVA_I

:smithicide:

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Well, this is the last time I'll be in Columbus for the foreseeable future. I feel it was only appropriate I clean out Warp Zone of import Saturn games(not really, but enough). They just got hundreds of Dreamcast games in if anyone's looking.

So. Any good game stores in Cleveland?

RodShaft fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Mar 18, 2015

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

al-azad posted:

Games today still support Windows XP for some reason. DX9 support will probably last until 2020 and beyond.

Five letters: CHINA. It seems to be popular to run newer hardware in China with Windows XP. DX9 is dead though. Most newer game engines (UE4 for example) use OpenGL when XP compatibility is a requirement since you can actually use the new features of modern graphics cards on older OSes.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
The thing I hate about buying used games now is that everyone knows what things are worth.

I remember when I went to a used games store and walked out with Earthbound for $15 bucks.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Mar 18, 2015

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

That's not true. They don't know Faxanadu isn't worth $20.

Commie Lasorda
May 15, 2009

IT'S CLOBBERIN' TIME!
:20bux: for Faxanadu should be a criminal offense

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Random Stranger posted:

That's not true. They don't know Faxanadu isn't worth $20.

There was some lady in there going absolutely nuts for NES games while I was looking around. She would have easily dropped a lot of money on games priced ten times what they're worth.

Pudding Huxtable posted:

:20bux: for Faxanadu should be a criminal offense

Faxanadu is real good. Still overpriced but a drat good game.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

iastudent posted:

Hollywood finally decided to pay attention to our hobby.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYmWApVVA_I

:smithicide:

It's based on games from the pre-nes era, we're in the clear. All the atari poo poo is dirt cheap.

Now if it was a movie based around Kevin James and Adam Sandler trying to smuggle in Super Famicom games in from japan in order to avoid paying insane import charges......

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Here's the other one I snapped:

According to Amazon these aren't too bad. Sorry I didn't get the price for LTTP in there.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Here's the other one I snapped:

what was the price of the LTTP cart? If Final Fantasy 4 is 36 bucks I can only imagine how insanely high the LTTP cart is.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

The Taint Reaper posted:

what was the price of the LTTP cart? If Final Fantasy 4 is 36 bucks I can only imagine how insanely high the LTTP cart is.

Yeah, my guess is it was probably around 37 or so. I get the impression they get a lot of people in there that pay way too much for Mario Bros/Duck Hunt and 3D World Runner.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Yeah, my guess is it was probably around 37 or so. I get the impression they get a lot of people in there that pay way too much for Mario Bros/Duck Hunt and 3D World Runner.

3d World Runner was a Squaresoft game that was not an RPG and a poor Space harrier type clone.

How could it command such prices?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

The Taint Reaper posted:

3d World Runner was a Squaresoft game that was not an RPG and a poor Space harrier type clone.

I'd like to sell you my copy of King's Knight for $45.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

The_Franz posted:

Five letters: CHINA. It seems to be popular to run newer hardware in China with Windows XP. DX9 is dead though. Most newer game engines (UE4 for example) use OpenGL when XP compatibility is a requirement since you can actually use the new features of modern graphics cards on older OSes.

Isn't there like crazy hacks of 98 to run newer hardware and programs? I'm not surprised.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

I'm in the initial run of these (180 kits in the first run), I'll be sure to post here when I get it in a month or so if there's any interest.

edit: Also there's a lot of weird stipulations on ordering that kit from that site (don't use paypal, must pay in GBP, etc.) so in case anyone just randomly sees that link, I wouldn't recommend just blindly rushing ahead and mashing the pre-order button.

Agrias120 fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Mar 18, 2015

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

RodShaft posted:

Isn't there like crazy hacks of 98 to run newer hardware and programs? I'm not surprised.

You are thinking of Windows 3.1 and Calmira+Win32s which allow you to have a Win9x-esque UI and support for a lot of Win 9x software,

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I'll be the only guy on the block running Kids Space in full 1080p.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

The Taint Reaper posted:

3D Worldrunner is a fantastic game with fantastic music you shut your drat mouth.

note : I also own Animal Attack Gakuen and may love Space Harrier games a bit much

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Did 3D world runner work with that running pad that came with Track & Field?

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

The Taint Reaper posted:

It's decently fun. It's probably worth like $8, maybe $10 if you're feeling generous.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

No because you don't stop runner. You can't stop the 3-D WorldRunner.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

The Powerpad was another poorly utilized accessory and there was no real way to actually beat Track and Field without cheating the accessory to make it register buttons faster.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Pshaw. World Runner. Really retrogamers play it's sequel, JJ.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

The Taint Reaper posted:

The Powerpad was another poorly utilized accessory and there was no real way to actually beat Track and Field without cheating the accessory to make it register buttons faster.

Did track and field have 2 player simultaneous? :lol:

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Did track and field have 2 player simultaneous? :lol:

Some of the events for two player but the CPU opponents were not balanced.

Let me tell you something Beating Super Mario bros., Duck Hunt, and World Track and Field is like no other feeling on this earth. You hands hurt AND your feet hurt at the same time.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

The Taint Reaper posted:

Let me tell you something Beating Super Mario bros., Duck Hunt, and World Track and Field is like no other feeling on this earth. You hands hurt AND your feet hurt at the same time.

That's true for Track and Field alone, once you resort to slapping the Power Pad with your meat hands.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Ninja Gaiden & Little Nemo were probably the last games I felt really really good about beating. I really should beat Castlevania some day.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

univbee posted:

That's true for Track and Field alone, once you resort to slapping the Power Pad with your meat hands.

I used electric toothbrushes that I bought at the dollar store. The Modern electric tooth brushes don't work, I needed the old style which vibrated beyond all normal human control.

gently caress Horse, gently caress that guy. I want Conan O'Brian to have a segment to see if Olympic Athletes can defeat Track and Field.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

al-azad posted:

Thing is, you rarely were required to upgrade. Games today still support Windows XP for some reason. DX9 support will probably last until 2020 and beyond. Windows has gone from as little as 2 years before the next iteration to 7. And digital distribution keeps a lot of these old titles in the spotlight. Like I don't think there's ever been a single point in history where you couldn't buy the original Doom, new, from id directly.

I know people who are like "If it wasn't DOS it's not retro." I just like to play games, man.

Throw in the 32bit to 64 transition too maybe? Dunno.

flyboi posted:

Speaking of retro ( :troll: ) the PS3 has its first official translation released!

Tales of Vesperia translation is now done and released! It also doesn't have their stupid requirement for the legit game anymore!

http://talesofvesperia.net/

Someone actually did a English menus and Filipino story translation hack for the ps3 Onechanbara awhile back but it's still considered an unfinished work by the author.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Light Gun Man posted:

Throw in the 32bit to 64 transition too maybe? Dunno.

Even today very few PC games run in/require 64bit.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I'm finally getting around to playing Bad Mojo after wanting to play it for about twenty years. I recall hearing at the time that despite the creative subject matter (you're a jerk turned into a cockroach and have to navigate really disgusting environments) that it didn't play well and that's kind of my reaction. So far, it seems like most of my interaction is going to be limited to figuring out what surfaces I can crawl on and where I should push objects from time to time.

Still, it looks really disgusting. I thought this gif was a bit too gruesome to just drop in the the thread willy-nilly.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Games that require multicore systems could be a useful break point in the future, and games that can not handle multicore systems properly are a decent cutoff point now, although plenty of games that are relatively old don't fall part on multicore.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

The Milkman posted:

Even today very few PC games run in/require 64bit.

"Very few" being all of the big AAA titles. They've been 64-bit for a while now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Random Stranger posted:

I'm finally getting around to playing Bad Mojo after wanting to play it for about twenty years. I recall hearing at the time that despite the creative subject matter (you're a jerk turned into a cockroach and have to navigate really disgusting environments) that it didn't play well and that's kind of my reaction. So far, it seems like most of my interaction is going to be limited to figuring out what surfaces I can crawl on and where I should push objects from time to time.

Still, it looks really disgusting. I thought this gif was a bit too gruesome to just drop in the the thread willy-nilly.

they took a real dead rat and put it in a scanner to get that image

• Locked thread