Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

i would be okay with the keffiiyeh making it to the west

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

duTrieux. posted:

um

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

duTrieux. posted:

same company

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

duTrieux. posted:

so you're totally cool with an increased incidence of cartoonishly wound-up punches to face then

Iced
Jun 18, 2009

Sometimes I eat in Jeff's car.

Don't tell him.

time to yell about clothes

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

Nintendo Kid posted:

same company

it annoys me that he isnt wearing the hat in the first pic

duTrieux. posted:

i want one (not a usa flag one though lmao) but im afraid people will think im racist / iraqi

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

why does everyone always say $20k-40k per year for university in the us? you can go to state school and pay like 1/10 that and there are all kinds of scholarships and tax credits for you to bring that down even more. and if you have a useful major you don't have to pay for grad school if you're foolish enough to go to grad school :o:

don't go to grad school

don't spend 40k/yr for your education unless we're talking like harvard law or whatever situation that would make it a financially sensible choice

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
find a state school that has $2000-4000/year tuition in 2015 and post that here please, because i don't think you will.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

DNova posted:

why does everyone always say $20k-40k per year for university in the us? you can go to state school and pay like 1/10 that and there are all kinds of scholarships and tax credits for you to bring that down even more. and if you have a useful major you don't have to pay for grad school if you're foolish enough to go to grad school :o:

don't go to grad school

but also don't send 40k/yr for your education unless we're talking like harvard law or whatever situation that would make it a financially sensible choice

20k-40k/year is perfectly within the bounds of reason if you're including total costs (room + board, fees)

sure if you're fortunate enough to live within driving distance of a decent 4-year state school then you can cut that to like 8-10k a year

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Beast of Bourbon posted:

find a state school that has $2000-4000/year tuition in 2015 and post that here please, because i don't think you will.

http://www.albany.edu/studentaccounts/2015_Spring_UG_PerCredit_RATES_(1).pdf

SUNY is pretty good about tuition though.

if you dont want to click through, they're $3,085 full-time per semester and $4283.50 after fees (minus the student health insurance which is only required if you aren't covered by your parents)

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

i just saw you said year, not semester, but 8k a year straight tuition is pretty darn good

pram
Jun 10, 2001
yeah but then your degree is from suny lmao

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
i went to suny buffalo (or was we called it, the state university at buffalo)

it, right there in the link you provided, says that annual costs for instate students is $21,703.00

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

pram posted:

yeah but then your degree is from suny lmao

no one gives a poo poo about where your degree is from unless you're trying to get into grad school or a job at a old boys club

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
most of the nj state universities are $12,500 a year all tuition and mandatory student fees included, with an extra $12,000 if ur gonna be in the dorms.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

uncurable mlady posted:

no one gives a poo poo about where your degree is from unless you're trying to get into grad school or a job at a old boys club

uhh no. literally the only value in the credential is the name of the school and maybe the major

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Beast of Bourbon posted:

it, right there in the link you provided, says that annual costs for instate students is $21,703.00

costs != tuition. you asked for tuition.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

pram posted:

uhh no. literally the only value in the credential is the name of the school and maybe the major

i see you paid a lot of money for your degree

pram
Jun 10, 2001
the government actually

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

uncurable mlady posted:

20k-40k/year is perfectly within the bounds of reason if you're including total costs (room + board, fees)

sure if you're fortunate enough to live within driving distance of a decent 4-year state school then you can cut that to like 8-10k a year

room and board is something you pay for whether you are getting an education or not. you can move to near a state school if you aren't near one.

UF's 2015 in-state tuition is $6,310. More than $4k, yes, but come on. That's less than $30k total for tuition. Add another couple grand for books if you want new ones.

it's just not anywhere near as hard as people keep claiming. if you don't want to move or you want to go to a prestigious private school that didn't offer you a full ride, you're just putting creating these problems for yourself

edit: Thanks for mentioning SUNY :)

pram
Jun 10, 2001
i can get a cheap education from $shit_school :smuggo:

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Beast of Bourbon posted:

I believe you mean The State University of New York University at Buffalo

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

pram posted:

i can get a cheap education from $shit_school :smuggo:

uncurable mlady posted:

i see you paid a lot of money for your degree

pram
Jun 10, 2001
cat av dogpile

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

i cant hate on SUNY too much since they sign my paychecks

the people who are getting hosed by tuition are mostly the ones who can kinda afford to deal with the debt long-term; the system is halfway decent at taking care of people who are impoverished enough to qualify for a whole bunch of grants. if you've got rich parents, you're fine. if you're in the amorphous "middle" then you're looking at putting up 3/4ths or more of your annual tuition in some sort of federal loan which isn't the end of the world but it's money you gotta pay back one day

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

also this is pretty off topic so we should drop it

pram
Jun 10, 2001
*lights up cigar with degree from notable university* :dukedog:

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Aren't you the guitarist for the feed dogs?

DNova posted:

room and board is something you pay for whether you are getting an education or not. you can move to near a state school if you aren't near one.

UF's 2015 in-state tuition is $6,310. More than $4k, yes, but come on. That's less than $30k total for tuition. Add another couple grand for books if you want new ones.

it's just not anywhere near as hard as people keep claiming. if you don't want to move or you want to go to a prestigious private school that didn't offer you a full ride, you're just putting creating these problems for yourself

edit: Thanks for mentioning SUNY :)

yeah, just move! oh? you live 4 hours away with no income and have to live on campus to be able to go to college? just move! why haven't you done that yet! haven't you heard? moving is the easiest thing in the world to do! like wow!

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Apocadall posted:

yeah, just move! oh? you live 4 hours away with no income and have to live on campus to be able to go to college? just move! why haven't you done that yet! haven't you heard? moving is the easiest thing in the world to do! like wow!

what is hard about moving? if you have no income you can fix that by getting a job. I worked 2-3 jobs for most of my undergrad career. I also never lived on-campus, because I couldn't afford it. I missed out on some of the lifestyle as a result, but I got an education which was the primary goal.

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

DNova posted:

what is hard about moving? if you have no income you can fix that by getting a job. I worked 2-3 jobs for most of my undergrad career. I also never lived on-campus, because I couldn't afford it. I missed out on some of the lifestyle as a result, but I got an education which was the primary goal.

holy poo poo how old and out of touch are you?

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

24-7 Urkel Cosplay posted:

holy poo poo how old and out of touch are you?

I finished my undergrad 4 years ago.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

DNova posted:

lets just get a job in some random place with never traveling there, that sure makes sense

pram
Jun 10, 2001

DNova posted:

but I got an education which was the primary goal.

lol

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Nintendo Kid posted:

lets just get a job in some random place with never traveling there, that sure makes sense

what? you just get whatever poo poo job you can because you're 17 and it's not going to be a career. you think I liked working at best buy?

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

DNova posted:

what? you pick out the school, you move there. you find whatever poo poo job you can find because you're 17 and it's not gonna be a career.

how does a 17 year old afford to move across the country, furnish a suitable living location, eat, pay for school, living expenses, and unplanned expenses on a lovely minimum wage job?

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

are you seriously this out of touch

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Nintendo Kid posted:

uhhh. have you never uprooted? if you have no dependencies it's not a hard thing to do but ymwv. if you don't care where you live and your not picky on what you need to do to get by it's not unreasonable.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

24-7 Urkel Cosplay posted:

are you seriously this out of touch

I dunno I loving did it not that long ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

DNova posted:

what? you just get whatever poo poo job you can because you're 17 and it's not going to be a career. you think I liked working at best buy?

how do you move there with no money. how do you decide where to move to.

why are you leaving high school at 17??

• Locked thread