Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

LORD OF BUTT posted:

The controls are a little shonky but other than that they're still fantastic.

It takes a two or three missions to get over the hump of the controls. Once over, the games are great. (Check out my Crusader website! http://echosector.com)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Weird problem in Wages of Sin: the flashlight that's supposed to be on the shelf by the entrance to the sewer pipe doesn't exist. It should be there, but it isn't. JC even says it's there. It isn't.

Anyone run into this?

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Take your pervert war elsewhere.
The best parts of the Crusader games are the cutscenes.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

MONKET posted:

The best parts of the Crusader games are the cutscenes.

Hey I thought the music was pretty boss too :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OqddpU2oGA

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
I've been spending some time playing Quake 1 CTF with bots, and it's interesting to see how CTF maps were at the start. The maps rarely have a symmetrical design, and for some unknown reason, there are secret rooms scattered throughout the maps instead of having everything visible. It's like a strange fusion of deathmatch and SP maps. They also feel, for a lack of better word, experimental, with maps having ideas like unsymmetrical bases, the maze ctf2m4, the trolly system in ctf8, and the bases having different items that you wouldn't see replicated in nearly any other games with CTF in it. It's rough, but in a fun and interesting way.

The bots themselves are good, but could be better. The main problem is that they seem to be confused by tight stairways and can't comprehend when a flag is on a platform. I wish someone would improve their pathfinding since the source code for the bots is freely available, but since the Quake community is tiny, I doubt that anyone will ever do it. Their grapple skills aren't very good either, but considering how much of a pain that would be to code in the first place, I should just be grateful that they can do it at all. Their high aggression may seem bad at first, but it makes them great for distracting enemy defenders while you grab the flag and for entangling enemies in pointless fights while you or a teammate run back to base with the flag

Overall though, Quake 1 CTF is a blast and I wish I had played it a lot more often during it's heyday. I don't mind chillin' with bots, though.

Also, E1M5 is a loving awesome CTF map.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

LORD OF BUTT posted:

The controls are a little shonky but other than that they're still fantastic.

Thank you, forums user LORD OF BUTT, for the word "Shonky".

RiffRaff1138
Feb 28, 2006

Every single motherfucker thinks they're gonna save the fuckin' world... Why not do something about the shitty economy or whatever instead?! Son of a bitch!

PINING 4 PORKINS posted:

Weird problem in Wages of Sin: the flashlight that's supposed to be on the shelf by the entrance to the sewer pipe doesn't exist. It should be there, but it isn't. JC even says it's there. It isn't.
First, are you sure you didn't just pick it up and not notice?

Secondly, are you trying to run Wages in the Steam version of Sin? If so, follow all of the instructions in this thread, and the game will mostly work. Or, much better idea, play the GOG version.

If you are playing the GOG version, or you're still having this problem after following all of the instructions in that thread... Don't know what to tell you. Something's hosed, and it's not loading all of the Wages content.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

RiffRaff1138 posted:

First, are you sure you didn't just pick it up and not notice?

Secondly, are you trying to run Wages in the Steam version of Sin? If so, follow all of the instructions in this thread, and the game will mostly work. Or, much better idea, play the GOG version.

If you are playing the GOG version, or you're still having this problem after following all of the instructions in that thread... Don't know what to tell you. Something's hosed, and it's not loading all of the Wages content.

Yeah, I'm running the GOG version. There's like three batteries on the shelf and no flashlight, and nothing shows up in my inventory even if I jump around where the flashlight should be. I think I found one guy talking about the same issue and nobody ever responded.

I did install some "ultimate patch" from the GOG forums to replace the glide wrapper and set up widescreen stuff and I had to copy some files around to get it to work with Wages, so maybe I'll start from scratch when I get time to mess around with it.

What a weird error.

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Wamdoodle posted:

Hey I thought the music was pretty boss too :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OqddpU2oGA

Actually yeah, I change my answer. It was right up there with UT's music in quality, too bad it's not as iconic or well-known because it's a great mix of chill and fast-paced techno tracks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-0ucoCggEQ

If there were any game that has Crusader's gameplay but with WSAD + Mouse controls I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

closeted republican posted:

The bots themselves are good, but could be better.

Are you using CTFBot+? If so, there's also a CTF version of Frogbots that you could try out... I've meant to check it out but haven't gotten around to it yet. ftp://ftp.clan-rum.org/quake/bots/fbctf.zip

I know what you mean about the maps. They were really still in transition from the days of using SP maps for multiplayer.

I remember being in love with big rambly MP maps with secrets and oddities -- not only in CTF games, but also for example in DM with maps like Wizard's Manse. That part of my shooter brain is dead now, but it sure was fun seeing MP maps as cool environments to explore and just kind of deal with from moment to moment (rather than as an items-n-frags machine/system to exploit with ruthlessly efficient cycle patterns).

JLaw fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Mar 17, 2015

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I'm finally getting around to playing all the way through Duke Hard, poo poo's fun. I'm about 8 maps in I think, Abstractech is my favorite so far by far. It crams a lot into a little space and does a good job of playing around with your expectations.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Johnny Law posted:

Are you using CTFBot+? If so, there's also a CTF version of Frogbots that you could try out... I've meant to check it out but haven't gotten around to it yet. ftp://ftp.clan-rum.org/quake/bots/fbctf.zip

I know what you mean about the maps. They were really still in transition from the days of using SP maps for multiplayer.

I remember being in love with big rambly MP maps with secrets and oddities -- not only in CTF games, but also for example in DM with maps like Wizard's Manse. That part of my shooter brain is dead now, but it sure was fun seeing MP maps as cool environments to explore and just kind of deal with from moment to moment (rather than as an items & frags machine/system to exploit with ruthlessly efficient cycle patterns).

I'm using CTFBot+. I tried using the CTF Frogbots you listed, but I've run into a major problem; the game will refuse to spawn bots in some of the Threewave CTF maps, despite the readme listing waypoints for them. It'll say "x is not a supported map" and will not load the bot and I couldn't find an override. From what I could see of the supported maps (the default Frogbot maps), the bots did do a decent job at going around in them. I wish I could use all of them in the Treewave default CTF maps, but CTFBot+ is fine (though not ideal) in most cases.

Someone really needs to port Frikbots to CTF. Remake Quake has it's own CTF Frikbots, but I haven't seen anyone try to isolate it from the rest of the code and publish it as a seperate mod.

For all of it's oddities, the old, secrets-filled CTF maps have a special charm. It's like the map designer wanted to make cool maps for CTF, but they still wanted some single player-like elements in it because his crew really liked playing DM in SP maps. It's an interesting part of map development history that people often forget. Some of them are still quite good, like several of the CTFx series of maps for Quake 1.

Nokiaman
Mar 2, 2013
So I just saw this mod on moddb and sadly it doesn't work with ECWolf :(
Any other source ports that might work? Stretched 640x480 is just awful.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
Re CTF maps, this is a fun site to look through for some nostalgic pictures and chatter:

http://www.quakewiki.net/archives/academy/officer/officer_intro.htm

(Wish they had tackled a few more of the maps.)

e: sample advice -> "The best weapons and powerups are well hidden in this level. The key to finding items in the Mines is to fully explore every dark corner."

JLaw fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Mar 17, 2015

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Nokiaman posted:

So I just saw this mod on moddb and sadly it doesn't work with ECWolf :(
Any other source ports that might work? Stretched 640x480 is just awful.

I saw that No Man's Land was released, so I downloaded them both and discovered that, despite being made by the same group as Eisenfaust: Legacy, it doesn't have the advanced controls setup that it did. I like having WADS controls. Unfortunately, SDL mods like that won't, as far as I can understand, work on any source port besides the one they come with. I guess they modify the crap out of them?

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

catlord posted:

I guess they modify the crap out of them?

This is correct. I used to be a part of the Wolf3D scene, and I can attest that from the very beginning, modding was all about modifying the source code to add new features and whatnot. No matter how simple it might seem, it had to be added on a source code level since nobody had ever developed any sort of DEHACKED equivalent for Wolfenstein. That's why you could even have two engines that had the same features added and not be able to interchange them; it's all dependent on how said features were added.

Funny thing is, a lot of people in that scene apparently are fighting tooth and nail against the ease of use of ECWolf. A lot of them seem to view it as "unnecessary" or "dumbed down" or something. Remember seeing a few threads on the old forum I used to go to a while back where it was brought up and I got to see oldbies yell themselves red in the face over how they'd never make a version of their mods that worked with it and they'd never develop a mod specifically for it. Don't really understand that kind of thinking, being that I've switched my source ports of choice several times throughout my lifetime, but hey, whatever.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

No offense to any Wolf modders (or fans of Wolf modding) here, but what's the point? And I don't mean that on a grand scale of "What's the point of modding anything", but Wolf3D just seems like such a bland game to sink your teeth and skills into, compared to Doom.

No height variance, no floor/ceiling textures (at least by default), no skyboxes, worse animation, stilted movement.

No sarcasm, I'd legitimately like to know, from either a modder or a fan of them, what keeps you interested in using the Wolf3D engine?

Edit full disclosure, after I beat episode 1 of Wolf3D, I'm pretty much done for a while, and it's tough for me to want to bother going through the other 5, or Spear of Destiny.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

No offense to any Wolf modders (or fans of Wolf modding) here, but what's the point? And I don't mean that on a grand scale of "What's the point of modding anything", but Wolf3D just seems like such a bland game to sink your teeth and skills into, compared to Doom.

No height variance, no floor/ceiling textures (at least by default), no skyboxes, worse animation, stilted movement.

No sarcasm, I'd legitimately like to know, from either a modder or a fan of them, what keeps you interested in using the Wolf3D engine?

Edit full disclosure, after I beat episode 1 of Wolf3D, I'm pretty much done for a while, and it's tough for me to want to bother going through the other 5, or Spear of Destiny.

A lot of that stuff gets hacked in with various mods.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

I'm running a tournament to determine the best stock Doom / Doom 2 level for some reason: http://www.doomworld.com/vb/doom-general/72107-april-agitation-the-tournament-for-ids-best-doom-doom-2-level-round-0/

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I never even heard of Crusader until now. I always wondered how Fallout would play with real-time combat.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

Mak0rz posted:

I never even heard of Crusader until now. I always wondered how Fallout would play with real-time combat.

Imagine Origin applying their super high standards of game design and technology to an action game. You've got Crusader.

Alright, I'll make it semi relatable to early FPS: according to Tony Zurovec, the lead designer of Crusader, No Remorse was the first game to knock Doom out of the #1 spot in terms of sales in 1995.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Interested...

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
The controls for crusader seem horrible until you get used to them. It's a pretty good game. I like all the environmental destruction. It was a big hit when I was a kid.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Mak0rz posted:

They're really cool games that I always wanted to get into more but I couldn't because of the controls :smith:

Admittedly I was much younger when I last tried to play them.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Nintendo Kid posted:

A lot of that stuff gets hacked in with various mods.

Well, this I will look into.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Johnny Law posted:

Re CTF maps, this is a fun site to look through for some nostalgic pictures and chatter:

http://www.quakewiki.net/archives/academy/officer/officer_intro.htm

(Wish they had tackled a few more of the maps.)

e: sample advice -> "The best weapons and powerups are well hidden in this level. The key to finding items in the Mines is to fully explore every dark corner."

Hahaha it's fun seeing how they saw maps back then compared to now. The writing style and tone is late 90s as hell as well.

Also, another thing I've noticed with Quake 1 Threewave CTF maps is that they're filled to the brim with medkits. Not that I'm complaining; it's just funny to see them littered around maps after playing a lot UT99 and UT2k4, where health is limited to about 5 or so medkits in your base.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Linguica posted:

I'm running a tournament to determine the best stock Doom / Doom 2 level for some reason: http://www.doomworld.com/vb/doom-general/72107-april-agitation-the-tournament-for-ids-best-doom-doom-2-level-round-0/

I feel like a bad Doom fan for not knowing these levels by name (except for the Wolf3D ones). :smith:

Anyway, I'll vote once I reacquaint myself with them.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I guess I'm the bad but those are like all of my least favorite levels put together? Except E3M8 and MAP30 which are both okay although gimmicky.

Wait...

>googles 'pernicious'

Ohhhhh okay that makes sense.

I guess all the good ones are in another bracket :cheeky:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Linguica posted:

Skip to the end where E4M2 wins.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

For me as a teen, it was ease of use, honestly. Back then, the tools for Doom mapping were pretty daunting whenever I took a look at them, and I think the only copy of ZDoom I had on my computer at that point was literally just so I could play Action Doom. (FUN TRIVIA: My Doom folder is STILL called "action" from that time period.) While I wasn't a programmer, there were lots of tutorials for new features you could literally just copy and paste into the source code with some minor modifications and boom, you'd have those features. And the mapping was the best part, because even a tiny little babby could map for Wolfenstein 3D... since it's, you know, just a grid of squares. On top of that, the community was pretty open and friendly and were always helping people out with things they needed.

Yes, I will concede that stock Wolf3D gameplay doesn't hold up as well as Doom or such later titles, but the modding scene does release some fairly fun stuff every now and again.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Zaphod42 posted:

I guess all the good ones are in another bracket :cheeky:
This first poll is of the play-in slots for the, shall we say, less illustrious levels, to winnow the list from 68 to 64 so there can be a proper bracket at the next stage.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Linguica posted:

This first poll is of the play-in slots for the, shall we say, less illustrious levels, to winnow the list from 68 to 64 so there can be a proper bracket at the next stage.

Ah I gotcha, wild card slot.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I don't know if this fits in this topic, but I somehow believe Gearbox is currently developing a Duke Nukem game, and I look forward to it one day. Always bet on Duke.

I'm also pumped for the new Doom, that teaser trailer stylistically was very righteous. Cooking with gas!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Heavy Metal posted:

I don't know if this fits in this topic, but I somehow believe Gearbox is currently developing a Duke Nukem game, and I look forward to it one day. Always bet on Duke.
There was once a mod who felt as you do...

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Heavy Metal posted:

I'm also pumped for the new Doom, that teaser trailer stylistically was very righteous. Cooking with gas!

Living up to your avatar text, funny man.

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

I don't mod Wolf that much, but Chinese Tony Danza pretty much explained that part of it. The source code is very simple and easy to edit things right into the game engine compared to needing a specific source port like ZDoom with Doom. As mostly a player and not a modder of Wolf, I will say that there's something very addicting about Wolfenstein's fast-paced gameplay. Most of the time you only use a couple of weapons, the levels are barebones, and there's few enemy types. Also, I find the movement to be perfect for the gameplay, because if you had less friction and slipped around everywhere, it would only hamper you considering all of the normal enemies use hitscan attacks and it would make you less precise.

There's less to worry about in Wolfenstein, and I think that's why it's still popular. It's very arcade-feeling compared to Doom's more campaign-feeling gameplay, as reinforced by still using a score and lives system. There's less to worry about and it's easier to hop in and gently caress with, both in terms of playing and actually modding. There's no worries about dodging projectiles, falling down chasms, or any sort of puzzle gameplay. It's little more than pure ADHD diving behind cover run n gun action. That is, if you have access to a minimap. Otherwise it's 50/50 action and backtracking.

A big plus is since the source code's very clean and right there to tinker with compared to Doom's huge mess, there's a lot of crazy poo poo you can do with the simple engine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcyqtzsUl-0

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

MONKET posted:

I don't mod Wolf that much, but Chinese Tony Danza pretty much explained that part of it. The source code is very simple and easy to edit things right into the game engine compared to needing a specific source port like ZDoom with Doom. As mostly a player and not a modder of Wolf, I will say that there's something very addicting about Wolfenstein's fast-paced gameplay. Most of the time you only use a couple of weapons, the levels are barebones, and there's few enemy types. Also, I find the movement to be perfect for the gameplay, because if you had less friction and slipped around everywhere, it would only hamper you considering all of the normal enemies use hitscan attacks and it would make you less precise.

There's less to worry about in Wolfenstein, and I think that's why it's still popular. It's very arcade-feeling compared to Doom's more campaign-feeling gameplay, as reinforced by still using a score and lives system. There's less to worry about and it's easier to hop in and gently caress with, both in terms of playing and actually modding. There's no worries about dodging projectiles, falling down chasms, or any sort of puzzle gameplay. It's little more than pure ADHD diving behind cover run n gun action. That is, if you have access to a minimap. Otherwise it's 50/50 action and backtracking.

A big plus is since the source code's very clean and right there to tinker with compared to Doom's huge mess, there's a lot of crazy poo poo you can do with the simple engine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcyqtzsUl-0

This is why people want to still work on Wolfenstein :) I'm still continually impressed with what the Wolf community releases.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

I admit I never had interest in Wolf3D only because of the hitscan gameplay. What are you supposed to do when all weapons hit instantly? With Doom you have to dodge projectiles, not get boxed in, and you counter with a whole range of weapons which operate very differently. Even Call of Duty has cover, flanking, and grenades. I don't get how you "get good" at Wolf3D :shrug:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Bouchacha posted:

I admit I never had interest in Wolf3D only because of the hitscan gameplay. What are you supposed to do when all weapons hit instantly? With Doom you have to dodge projectiles, not get boxed in, and you counter with a whole range of weapons which operate very differently. Even Call of Duty has cover, flanking, and grenades. I don't get how you "get good" at Wolf3D :shrug:

The enemies don't have perfect aim, nor do they fire constantly while moving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Wolf3D has some interesting hitscan code from what I remember. Enemies are less accurate when far away (duh), are less accurate when you are running (makes sense...), and are more accurate when they are not in your direct field of view (?!).