Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Slickdrac posted:

It's not. If you were talking about the image in the link description, it's 4 of those grids put together. Also, the IMPORTANT NOTE I put on there was how I fixed my traffic problem for the offramp from this

to this

It seems so obvious now since all the traffic was flowing from the right side over to it's left alternate direction trunk counterpart.

Can you explain the difference between the two junctions? I see some buildings along the road but I don't understand the concept.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
After spending a couple of years away from it and coming back to it shortly before Cities launched, I have to say that SimCity 2013 wasn't terrible. Don't get me wrong, it's a bad game. But it's only bad because it tried to be the jack of all trades and didn't succeed in any of them really well.

If they had only made the "region" as a whole city and fixed the traffic accordingly I wouldn't have hated it as much. Each individual "city" should've been a neighborhood where you could specialize in parks, universities, industry, tourism or whatever. Instead, you had to fit everything in every single city and they STILL couldn't get the buses to move students between regions.

I guess that's why I'm liking Cities so much. I love making nice little housing areas or entertainment areas. I'd actually like it if they modded more of that sort of thing in where I could say, "this is shopping only" and it would just be retail or "this is restaurants " and it just be that way.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
I tried the unlimited money and all tech mod but I literally had no fun playing it. I think half the fun is noticing a design flaw and then having to figure out how to fix it.

I have been trying to have my citizens use less cars, result? Bridges. a lot of loving bridges :stare:

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

Nondescript Van posted:

i probably missed something but I dont see the difference in road design between these two or why one is much better than the other.

It's the same exact highway design, except in the grid layout, I had roads between these sections that meant traffic from all 4 grid blocks were all going out to the highway on the bottom left side and overloading the highway. The I noted in the grid asset link before NOT to connect the trunks like that, it'll give you congestion problems.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Tambaloneus posted:

Also I love that something will grow if you allocate space, regardless of the real world desire to live somewhere like that. This house has been happily occupied since I put it there.

This honestly isn't that weird. There's a street downtown in the city that I live in with houses built pretty much right against a highway on ramp:

They're actually fairly nice houses, aside from the whole living next to a highway thing.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Baronjutter posted:

Just like when fighting ghosts, never cross the streams.

Off-map freight and passenger can share a network, just make sure to only have one or two passenger stations.
Your in-city freight system should be totally isolated, sometimes you can share it with the outside world connection but only if your off-map freight traffic is fairly low.
Your in-city passenger system should always be 100% isolated from everything else, SPECIALLY your outside connection. Every passenger station you build that is connected off the map will get a spam of off-map trains.

Where should my in-city freight be connecting?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Between different industrial zone types, from resource production areas to resource using areas. i.e. from mines to ore processing, or oil pumps to oil refineries.

PotU
Jul 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Current city looking really good so far!

had a problem with waste water because all the water on this custom map floats strrraight to my city. had to change directions of the streams with abusing dams in a way that definitely wasnt intended and then just block the streams with normal regular dams (ignore the bottom waste, that was just an expiremt=

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.
Has anyone pushed the 25 tiles limits yet?

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Man I haven't played for a few days and now there are so many awesome-looking mods I need to try.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*
Hah, we got our wish! :getin:

Roseo
Jun 1, 2000
Forum Veteran
So how do you resolve an outbound rail jam? Is there anything to do past trashing all connections to that outbound line?

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Wow

That's kind of sad actually

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Hey you know, the artstyle in SC2013 was actually kinda endearing and fitting with Cities Skylines, so I wouldn't mind some professional buildings.

That is what the game currently needs besides some street related stuff. More buildings.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

ZenVulgarity posted:

Wow

That's kind of sad actually

It is. But in a way endearing sorta that they went right from doing it professionally to doing it recreationally.

Still sucks that you can tell by their immediate modding that they probably really enjoyed their former job :(

Its an emotional poo poo-snake eating its own tail.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
What benefits do the larger police/fire stations have besides a bigger effective range? I haven't seen any helicopters which is really disappointing.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Putting residentials between the two harbors was a bad idea... for the people who moved in. They got so sick from all the noise pollution!

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Are there any good 3-way highway intersections? Preferably ones that upgrade to a 4-way easily.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
I have discovered that if you have a starting road and a target road that are on the angles you want to match the curve road tool will snap to match them if you get close enough with your starting angle. Good thing.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Reason posted:

What benefits do the larger police/fire stations have besides a bigger effective range? I haven't seen any helicopters which is really disappointing.

More vehicles, put out more fires more quickly.

VDay posted:

Are there any good 3-way highway intersections? Preferably ones that upgrade to a 4-way easily.

A roundabout?

Otherwise you're going to need a cloverleaf, an efficient 3 way intersection isn't going to upgrade to a 4 way without being rebuilt.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Found out those awesome emergency-lanes are kinda overpowered. People will still build their homes and industry next to em as if they were vehicle accessible roads.

Still a must-have mod, but abuse that at your own peril. Kinda takes alot of fun out of things.

kinnas
Jan 28, 2008
The Case of Martin Heidegger, Philosopher and Nazi Part 2: The Cover-up
Stumbled upon something that made me really appreciate the scale of the game:

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

OwlFancier posted:

Otherwise you're going to need a cloverleaf, an efficient 3 way intersection isn't going to upgrade to a 4 way without being rebuilt.

By upgrade I just mean that it'll take up the same amount of space (with the added roads going in the 4th direction) and have the same road connections (to the original 3 in/out roads) as the 3-way one.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

My city's at a population of 7000 and I have zero demand for everything. I can't afford universities yet and my forest industries are failing because of lack of workers (because of lack of demand for housing). How can I remedy this?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

VDay posted:

By upgrade I just mean that it'll take up the same amount of space (with the added roads going in the 4th direction) and have the same road connections (to the original 3 in/out roads) as the 3-way one.

Then that's a cloverleaf, a cloverleaf is basically the most compact design you can really have for a 4 way and functions perfectly well as a 3 way too, you just have two spare roads hanging off the end until you run the highway further.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

RBA Starblade posted:

My city's at a population of 7000 and I have zero demand for everything. I can't afford universities yet and my forest industries are failing because of lack of workers (because of lack of demand for housing). How can I remedy this?

Zone more residential, build schools, parks, and ensure you have good health, fire, and police coverage.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

kinnas posted:

Stumbled upon something that made me really appreciate the scale of the game:

:stare: That might not be curvy, but I wish I had the traffic wizardry knowhow to make something like that.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Fhqwhgads posted:

:stare: That might not be curvy, but I wish I had the traffic wizardry knowhow to make something like that.

It helps that it's very low density. Look at all the greenspace in each block.

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

Green space is the devils space. Build parks.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

MikeJF posted:

It helps that it's very low density. Look at all the greenspace in each block.

This is something I need to work on, letting my space OCD go. Not every square needs something on it. It's totally possible to max the population with lots of greenspace...

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

OwlFancier posted:

Zone more residential, build schools, parks, and ensure you have good health, fire, and police coverage.

I had all this but apparently throwing in some bus stations fixed it.

Also wow, my poor layout decisions are biting me in the rear end but it's more fun to expand and implode than deal with it. :v:

quote:

Green space is the devils space. Build parks.

Grid is life. Grid is love.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

It has been pointed out that my city looks like a giant face

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Does everyone here make money on their public transit besides me?

e: Also do you deliberately leave room for metro station? I feel like an rear end having to bulldoze houses to throw it haphazardly into a block.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I dont know where my money is coming from. I just spend it.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
The middle of a large roundabout has plenty of space for a metro station, that's where I stuck mine

what that does to traffic is anyone's guess

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Pedestrians get out of the metro, end up trapped forever on the roudabout island.

kinnas
Jan 28, 2008
The Case of Martin Heidegger, Philosopher and Nazi Part 2: The Cover-up

SynthOrange posted:

I dont know where my money is coming from. I just spend it.

This. Something about how the game has bad feedback on some of the information makes you start ignoring even the accessible information and you just start winging everything. A sprinkling of schools, a pinch of firestations, mix em up with a couple of buslines, put it in the oven for 10 minutes and see if it burns.

The user comment on that low density megagrid I posted a few posts back said it had a population of 200 000 btw for those curious.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Decrepus posted:

Does everyone here make money on their public transit besides me?

e: Also do you deliberately leave room for metro station? I feel like an rear end having to bulldoze houses to throw it haphazardly into a block.

My city is a hellscape of grids, turd bays, buses desperately fighting the freight trucks to get to the newly rejuvenating forestry zone (I had to dezone like a third, I guess you don't need nearly as much as in Sim City). Meanwhile I apparently ran out of coal for my plant and never noticed since I've been building so many advanced wind turbines (why would I not do this by the way). I put down social services entirely based on what looks about right based on where I've expanded and with no thought for actual expansion. I haven't bought the block with the interstate yet so that's next and God help me when I try to gently caress with it to unclog it.

e: Oh good the medical clinic is on fire.

e: I am fairly certain I will have to raze half the city to actually adjust for the traffic problems rising. I won't, but I should.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Mar 18, 2015

Freakus
Oct 21, 2000
I created this monster for industrial truck traffic:

One east-west freeway meeting a north-south freeway. Both freeways can get off onto any cargo terminal. And all cargo terminals can get back going on either freeway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Are crematoriums and incinerators supposed to catch fire more often or is it just my fire layout?