Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

movax posted:

fpga tooling on linux is only good for running headless builds imo; if you need to use the gui at all, stick with windows. linux is a second-class citizen (as it should be)

headless builds should be the default

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Poopernickel posted:

it puts the P in PVT

lol

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Bloody posted:

hope those opencores vhdl blocks work

lol the other way

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i rewrote them in verilog and now i can simulate against them and they seem to work mostly :toot:

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
what's ur simulator? icarus?

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

a crippled version of modelsim

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012
where can i get a 24V 250mA 6 pin mini DIN power supply for this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KINETRONICS-SV-4400U-STATIC-FREE-STATICVAC-PHOTO-FILM-CLEANER-IONIZING-DUST-/361234782853

i foudn this but i dont want to pay $35 for a power supply

http://poweradapter.co/kinetronics-sc102ta2400f01-ac-adapter-24vdc-075a-used-6pin-9mm-p-1687.html

thank you!! :)

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
if your time is worth minimum wage you can get a 12-18 1a adapter and a shenzhen stepup board and a 6 pin mini din. otherwise just buy the psu

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
yea 24v is pretty uncommon in surplus, so either get lucky on ebay or at a flea market, or diy, or pay for the right one

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

two car batteries in series

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Bloody posted:

two car batteries in series

or do like a flying capacitor boost converter except with a deep cycle marine battery instead of the capacitor

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

if your time is worth minimum wage you can get a 12-18 1a adapter and a shenzhen stepup board and a 6 pin mini din. otherwise just buy the psu

yeah good point i did find this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000KKO3PI/ cause i dont like DIYing power stuff

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

$35 is cheap

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

I am pleased to report that blocks which worked in simulation do not work in the real world:eng99:

karasu
Jan 3, 2008

Bloody posted:

I am pleased to report that blocks which worked in simulation do not work in the real world:eng99:

this is always fun. the first thing i ever wrote went straight into production at my company because it replaced registers with block ram which resulted in great logic usage savings.

of course it worked beautifully in simulation and even in my initial in hardware test. but let the FPGA get over 80 °C or configure the module in a certain way and yay total failure.

turns out that checking for an event, generating a new address for a block ram and reading the associated value in a single combinatoric path at 108 MHz isn't exactly the smartest idea. that took a few sleepless nights to fix if you have never written code for synthesis before.

in hindsight, gently caress my colleagues for letting an intern with three weeks of experience do such a thing in the first place.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
from reading this thread, i am no longer interested in FPGA design

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

karasu posted:

of course it worked beautifully in simulation and even in my initial in hardware test. but let the FPGA get over 80 °C or configure the module in a certain way and yay total failure.

spec commercial, not automotive, WONTFIX, WORKSINMYENVIRONMENT

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

atomicthumbs posted:

i am

but it seems like a tough gig to break into

also microcontrollers and socs being what they are these days it seems there aren't that many places where asics or fpgas are cost-effective

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
video processing

one mipi port? two cameras? wow, no way we could buy a mux, better slap a FPGA on there

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

read a switch AND flash an LED?

looks like we're going to need at least a dual-core cpu for this thing

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
why don't they just make 1 chip that does everything really well, like super low power, lots of teraflops or whatever and small and doesn't need any active cooling

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
the closest Real Thing to that is a bunch of pin-compatible parts from different micro lines, like a M0 and a M4 that can be reworked after layout

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
cell phone socs have a bunch of stuff that would be an ASIC in the past, image processors, video encoders/decoders, display blitters and so on, if you want to do that.

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
i want the same chip in my smart watch that's in my supercomputer cluster

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Mr Dog posted:

i am

also microcontrollers and socs being what they are these days it seems there aren't that many places where asics or fpgas are cost-effective

network processing and packet inspection

no way you can do meaningful operations on a 40gb or 100gb line going full speed in anything but an fpga (or an asic)

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Mr Dog posted:

i am

bitcoin mining :iamafag:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Mr Dog posted:

i am

fpgas are amazing for relatively low run stuff

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

fpgas make me want to drink

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i have a lookup table mapping 10-bit values to 9-bit values. every possible 10 bit input is accounted for. you would think that, given absolutely arbitrary 10-bit input, it would be utterly impossible to get a 9-bit output that does not exist in the table.

and yet...

:suicide:

in fact, it is such a frequent occurrence i can reliably trigger a scope on it.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

atomicthumbs posted:

spend some time working with them, then you'll really no longer be interested

Bloody posted:

fpgas make me want to drink

same except kill myself

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

Bloody posted:

i have a lookup table mapping 10-bit values to 9-bit values. every possible 10 bit input is accounted for. you would think that, given absolutely arbitrary 10-bit input, it would be utterly impossible to get a 9-bit output that does not exist in the table.

and yet...

:pwn:

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Bloody posted:

and yet...

why are there 9bit values that aren't in the table tho

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
let it take 2 cycles to look up and see if it still happens

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

JawnV6 posted:

let it take 2 cycles to look up and see if it still happens

yeah this or slow the clock down maybe?

i assume there is some signal that determines if its a hit and maybe its just taking longer than a clock.

is it a CAM?

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

it's happening independent of master clock frequency over a 10x range so i don't think that's the issue - i cut master clock down a shitload in the first place because this prototype system has signal integrity issues that i'm totally not interested in dealing with right now so we're working in the couple of megahertz range

this block is not doing anything special - it's a dead-simple 8b/10b block (9th bit being control character indicator), so nearly half of all codes are outright invalid. the deserializer in front of it is definitely making GBS threads the bed pretty regularly, as the decoder's decode error flag, which is raised whenever any of those invalid codes are hit, is raised pretty regularly. the baffling output is a completely invalid control character that the block's spitting out pretty reliably.

tomorrow i'll be hunting for a wider logic analyzer so i can look at the output of the deserializer and the decoder at the same time :v:

this all fuckin Just Worked in simulation dammit

what's a CAM?

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Bloody posted:

what's a CAM?

Content addressable memory

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Arcsech posted:

Content addressable memory

oh. nah, i don't think so. synthesis seems to be spitting out a pile of logic and i'm not doing anything special otherwise

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

i tried to synthesize something yesterday and Xilinx just laughed in my face and said "nope"

time to try cadence

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

hardware description languages are cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

as a general idea yes but all extant implementations no

• Locked thread