Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

kalvick posted:

out of curiosity, what wheels would you recommend that dont look totally aftermarket and could possibly look like it came stock on the car?

I dunno, my taste is kind of suspect because I really don't mind the plainer Grant wheels. As far as nicer wheels there's the usual like the Nardi Competition or the Momo of your choice or whatever. But they don't look stockish, so I guess if that's something to shoot for then I don't really have a suggestion. I don't think a slightly racy wheel looks too out of place in a pony car, though :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Sleigher
Dec 29, 2004

I'd love to get rid of the boat steering wheel in my 13 but the only way you can get audio over bluetooth is the SYNC button on the steering wheel.

What wheel is that? ^^

Doom Sleigher fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Mar 18, 2015

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

kalvick posted:

I want to get this steering wheel re-uphosterery kit for my car. Ugg its just so expensive, almost $350 bucks for the kit and to have it professionally sewed on.
I would get it black with black stitching and get rid of that yellow band in the top. Its another $100 to get it padded and get thumb grips.
I have had this image open in a tab on my browser for weeks.

What kit is this? I've been wanting to do this to my car, and I'm not opposed to that cost.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Bumming Your Scene posted:

What wheel is that? ^^

Nardi of some variety. Competition, I think.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytvvgP3TMgw

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Why would you not want an airbag? That just seems reckless.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

PT6A posted:

I'M TOO PRO TO CRASH

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001

Krakkles posted:

What kit is this? I've been wanting to do this to my car, and I'm not opposed to that cost.

http://www.redlinegoods.com/Mustang0104shiftboot.php you can pick different covers and colors and they can professionally wrap it. you have to ship the wheel

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Insufferable measure of firewood

PT6A posted:

The only thing an airbag has ever done for me is burn both my arms.

I can use a seat belt properly, no airbags required.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

kalvick posted:

http://www.redlinegoods.com/Mustang0104shiftboot.php you can pick different covers and colors and they can professionally wrap it. you have to ship the wheel
Badass. Pricey, but I've been wanting to find an alcantara wrap kit, and this is ... it. Hah.

I wish I could do alcantara in a more stock color, but I think grey will work.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

mechaet posted:

The only thing an airbag has ever done for me is burn both my arms.

I can use a seat belt properly, no airbags required.

I really hope you're joking.

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

iwentdoodie posted:

I really hope you're joking.

Absolutely serious.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

mechaet posted:

Absolutely serious.

I'm sure your torso will be very grateful, once the bruises fade, but your neck and face may have other opinions depending on the speed of the crash.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Three words:

Closed
Head
Injury

vvvvv oh well in that case it'll be vertebral trauma with likelihood of spinal cord damage or possibly aortic transection (which will KILL YOU THE gently caress DEAD) due to the lack of an airbag to help slow your body's deceleration when the seatbelt catches. That's so much better.

Dick Burglar fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Mar 18, 2015

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Fucknag posted:

I'm sure your torso will be very grateful, once the bruises fade, but your neck and face may have other opinions depending on the speed of the crash.

If I sat wrong in the car, I could imagine this being an issue.

With the steering wheel at near-arms-length, however: the amount of compression that would be experienced in the cabin to get the wheel anywhere near my face is going to seriously injure me airbag or no.

Doom Sleigher
Dec 29, 2004

Is he aiming for the potholes? I'm gonna stop thinking the roads around me are so bad, holy poo poo.

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001

Krakkles posted:

Badass. Pricey, but I've been wanting to find an alcantara wrap kit, and this is ... it. Hah.

I wish I could do alcantara in a more stock color, but I think grey will work.

So are you gonna do it? are you going to get it padded? The pictures of the leather padded wheels look humongous, but the alcantara is not as thick a material. I think getting it padded will be just the perfect amount of thickness. then there are the thumbgrips, I kind of want it and I kind of dont. I wish there where more pictures of alcantara with the options I want just to put the final nail in the coffin.

Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

Like dem wheels

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

kalvick posted:

So are you gonna do it? are you going to get it padded? The pictures of the leather padded wheels look humongous, but the alcantara is not as thick a material. I think getting it padded will be just the perfect amount of thickness. then there are the thumbgrips, I kind of want it and I kind of dont. I wish there where more pictures of alcantara with the options I want just to put the final nail in the coffin.
Yeah, pretty much. I emailed them to see if I could get an alternate stitch pattern (the default is way too busy).

I'm thinking padded alcantara, no thumb grips, and I'll probably place the order this weekend. Should be a week or so before it's back, happy to post thoughts once I've got it.

Edit: What other options are you thinking? I'll post whatever pics you want of it once I get it back, dunno if I'm getting the options you want.

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001

Krakkles posted:

Yeah, pretty much. I emailed them to see if I could get an alternate stitch pattern (the default is way too busy).
I'm thinking padded alcantara, no thumb grips, and I'll probably place the order this weekend. Should be a week or so before it's back, happy to post thoughts once I've got it.
Edit: What other options are you thinking? I'll post whatever pics you want of it once I get it back, dunno if I'm getting the options you want.

I really like the look of the wheel I posted in the screen shot. As for stitching and color, I would like it with the same stitching pattern but everything would be black and I would not get that leather strip on the top center of the wheel. that way the stitching would be kind of hidden. I would be open to alternative stitching, if you could post what they say or have pics that would be helpful in swaying my decision.

As for padding, I know it will make the steering wheel look bigger. I know it wont be as puffy as a leather wrapped wheel though. So *MAYBE* it will be ok.
I daily drive a Jeep with a big padded leather wheel and its so much more comfortable than the Mustang. Every time I drive the Mustang now, I think about how small the wheel is. Its like wrapping my hands around two pencils. The thumb grips would be something nice as it forces your hands to be at 10 & 2, but not if it adds $100 to the overall costs. Also I am not 100% sure how it would look in a Mustang. I want the car to have a race car feel but not if it means looking like an import tuner. you know what I mean?

The other issue I can think of, is that the spokes in the picture I posted, by the off button on the cruise control, is that the stitching just stops. I would like the stitches to go rite into and under so the flaps are hidden.

Let me know how much of a B***ch it will be to get the wheel off. and back on when you do it though. Also when you mail in your wheel, you can mention that I posted the wheel pics on this forum and that's how you heard about and you can ask to get a better deal, mention that I am going to do my wheel later too, so perhaps they can give me a similar deal?

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Bit of a question about fuel injectors...I am trying to source a set of brown top Bosch 35lb for my SVO to match the newly acquired LA3 ecu...outside of eBay and scouring Craigslist is there something else these came in? I've seen 944 turbos with the same part # but they seen to run a different resistance. The navigator ran 35 lb injectors but it's a different part #. I know Ford loves to reuse parts but these brown tops seems to be a pain in the rear end to get a hold of. On the flip side the car came with 42lb injectors and I was thinking I might be able to just use an adjustable fuel pressure regulator to get it right.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

You can't just say that and not post pictures.

As to the rest of your post, sorry, no idea.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

kalvick posted:

Let me know how much of a B***ch it will be to get the wheel off. and back on when you do it though.

http://www.bullittarchive.com/3003.htm Here's a guide with a bunch of pictures.

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001

thebigcow posted:

http://www.bullittarchive.com/3003.htm Here's a guide with a bunch of pictures.

"Remove the steering wheel bolt using a Torx #50 bit." This is the part that scares me, because like a crank pulley its gonna be a PITA to get off once you remove the bolt.
you will probably need to rent a pulley puller to get the wheel off the bolt.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

kalvick posted:

"Remove the steering wheel bolt using a Torx #50 bit." This is the part that scares me, because like a crank pulley its gonna be a PITA to get off once you remove the bolt.
you will probably need to rent a pulley puller to get the wheel off the bolt.
It's not. Spray some FreeAll in around the shaft, wait a minute or two, then pull hard. It's not EASY, but it's very doable by hand.

(I already went to a junkyard, pulled a decent condition wheel, and put it on, because my stocker was thrashed.)

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
My question is rendered moot because I was able to snap up a brand new listing on eBay of brown tops :getin: being productive at work is overrated. I'll grab some pictures when I get home. She isn't in the best shape though :(.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
So I got like 3 more quotes, basically all saying the same thing. My whole cat assembly is pretty beat up, its been cut and welded and cut and welded and the cats are starting to rot. A shop that specializes in exhausts helped me pick out the right part to buy, which I haven't yet but I will within the next week or so. They're gonna install the pipe, and put in all 4 manifold studs for $285 as long as I buy the flange gasket and bolts. With the cats itll be a $900 repair but it'll be done right, and I don't drive it in the winter anymore so it should last me a while.

Still, butts.

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001

Cage posted:

So I got like 3 more quotes, basically all saying the same thing. My whole cat assembly is pretty beat up, its been cut and welded and cut and welded and the cats are starting to rot. A shop that specializes in exhausts helped me pick out the right part to buy, which I haven't yet but I will within the next week or so. They're gonna install the pipe, and put in all 4 manifold studs for $285 as long as I buy the flange gasket and bolts. With the cats itll be a $900 repair but it'll be done right, and I don't drive it in the winter anymore so it should last me a while.

Still, butts.

Which mid pipe are you going with?

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
An oem replacement.

Being in NY I just wanted something simple and definitely legal. Its an eastern catalytic part #868530. Cheapest I saw was $602 from rock auto.

Cage fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Mar 19, 2015

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Cage posted:

An oem replacement.

Being in NY I just wanted something simple and definitely legal. Its an eastern catalytic part #868530. Cheapest I saw was $602 from rock auto.

The best part about eastern catalytic is when it separates and clogs and you get to punch it out at 11:30PM in the middle of vermont:

Subaru pipe with only two cats.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I dunno it looks clear to me. :haw:

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

^^^ One of my first memories in the garage was my grandfather hollowing out the cats of his brand new 5.0 T-Bird. Still pretty funny to me. As requested:

Yes I know it's missing the double plane wing :( PO claims it was stolen off the car in Baltimore. I will be ordering one from NPD I think since they claim to make them from the original tooling.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
*img itshappening.gif*

Sorry about the winter beater mess and excuse the broster energy sticker. I bought a couple cans and the clerk gave me a sticker so it had to go somewhere.

Unfortunately they just kind of slapped a sticker on my cats and sent it out but whatever I have it now, along with a new flange gasket and new studs. They better have put a rockauto magnet with the packing slip or Ill be mad. Gonna drop it off friday morning and hopefully there will be no issues.

Bonus *~STANCE~* shot. I think I might be taking off the tail light tint, I kind of miss the red breaking up the black a bit.

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001
real nice, your car will sound good again! I have some toys I just got for my ride. ill post them when it stops raining and I can install them!

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Cage posted:

*img itshappening.gif*

Sorry about the winter beater mess and excuse the broster energy sticker. I bought a couple cans and the clerk gave me a sticker so it had to go somewhere.

Unfortunately they just kind of slapped a sticker on my cats and sent it out but whatever I have it now, along with a new flange gasket and new studs. They better have put a rockauto magnet with the packing slip or Ill be mad. Gonna drop it off friday morning and hopefully there will be no issues.

Bonus *~STANCE~* shot. I think I might be taking off the tail light tint, I kind of miss the red breaking up the black a bit.

I support removing the taillight tint if only to draw attention away from the garish color combo that is a NY state license plate.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Back to business! Shop had no issues putting new studs in or installing the cats. Now I have a smooth idle and I dont smell exhaust when Im stopped. (Though I do smell...stuff. Im guessing its all the stickers and grease from the mechanics.)

Though I have to say I got used to the sound of basically only having half my exhaust hooked up. That thing sounded mean when I gave it the beans, it still sounds good now its just not as loud. Ill take it though. That tick bugged the crap out of me.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
Finally removed the helper spring on the clutch assembly on my 2012 Mustang. In my work's parking deck since I needed a break and got tired of computers for the day.

It is that easy!

Clutch pushes back a lot more than you're used to at the top of travel, but it's easy enough for me to modulate in stop and go traffic. Definitely stiffer, but feels so, so, much better. Haven't had a chance to shift at high rpms yet due to said stop and go traffic.

Edit: it shifts great near redline now. The first mod you do should be this, the second you get the car.

Space Whale fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Mar 28, 2015

Faded Mars
Jul 1, 2004

It is I, his chronicler, who alone can tell thee of his saga.
With Spring finally springing (and some rain to wash the roads) I couldn't resist taking the car out for a quick drive and gas fill.

I also just got a bunch of glaze, clay bars, and wax to freshen up the paint! Needs to be a bit warmer for that, though...

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001
I usually take my Stang out of torage at the end of march and today its freaking snowing all day!!!!! I guess it need to stay in storage for another week or two now :(
This sucks because I have a box of goodies to install!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then

kalvick posted:

I usually take my Stang out of torage at the end of march and today its freaking snowing all day!!!!! I guess it need to stay in storage for another week or two now :(
This sucks because I have a box of goodies to install!
Awww.

I had to turn on my A/C today. :(