Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
I have met Linus in person, can confirm he really is kind of a spergy dickhole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Tusen Takk posted:

Steve Jobs was a megadick, and he sure got a lot of stuff done.

His engineers got things done. Steve Jobs was a salesman who threw tantrums when he didn't get his way and killed himself with alternative medicine. The only thing Jobs contributed to Apple was ruling the design and engineering teams with an iron fist.

Linus actually contributes code to the Linux kernel. That would be enough to make me a sperg rear end hat considering the poo poo I've seen people try to commit to the kernel tree.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Mar 18, 2015

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

ilkhan posted:

Irrelevant. Still a good movie.
He'd also never ridden a horse until 2 weeks before the film, I just found out.
Not many horses in Jersey. He's a good dude though.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

HotCanadianChick posted:

I have met Linus in person, can confirm he really is kind of a spergy dickhole.

Isn't there a video of him taking off his shoe during a talk to cut his toe nail or something?

Of course hes a spergy rear end in a top hat, he created linux, so its a given hes a bit spergy and now is the king of linux nerds, which I am sure made him an rear end in a top hat. I'm not trying to talk poo poo, I would not have my job if it wasn't for him. I'm currently testing an install script on a linux server.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Negromancer posted:

Isn't there a video of him taking off his shoe during a talk to cut his toe nail or something?

Of course hes a spergy rear end in a top hat, he created linux, so its a given hes a bit spergy and now is the king of linux nerds, which I am sure made him an rear end in a top hat. I'm not trying to talk poo poo, I would not have my job if it wasn't for him. I'm currently testing an install script on a linux server.

Nothing tops chair throwing Balmer.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

ilkhan posted:

Try and schedule the appointment for 2 weeks ago and then call to complain it wasn't completed on time.
(Or schedule for 5 years from now)

In 2007 I moved into a great little apartment by myself and I wanted to get a phone hooked up so I could, y'know, get the internet. I called Telstra, the Australia version of all of the worst bullshit Comcast and Time Warner pull, to get this phone hooked up. The day came and went that it should have been installed. No phone. I called them, and the first three people I spoke to said "really don't know why that wasn't done, it should have been, let me look into it" <on hold for forty-five minutes>. It took until the fourth person to look at the service request to realise that the service had been scheduled to be set up on November the 11th, 2070. Not 2007. I would have been 91 years old before I got the phone connected had I just trusted them to do their loving jobs.

Tusen Takk posted:

Okay, sure, but would you be able to get away with acting like linus does at your place of employment? Like I get it, he runs the show and can do whatever he wants, but that's not exactly the best way to go about it.

http://valleywag.gawker.com/linus-torvalds-does-not-give-a-poo poo-about-you-1680004895
http://badalhocando.blogspot.com/2011/10/linus-torvalds-is-douche.html
https://blog.mozilla.org/ejpbruel/2013/02/26/linus-torvalds-is-a-terrible-role-model-for-the-open-source-community/

Just because he gets results doesn't make him a megadick. Steve Jobs was a megadick, and he sure got a lot of stuff done.

These all read like "I was bad at computers and Linus called me out on my poo poo, and now my feelings are hurt and I'm whining about it on the internet".

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

Negromancer posted:

You're thinking of :rms2: taking his shoe off to peel skin off his foot and eat it. Linus is pretty much the least awful Big Name in OSS. At least he's not a weird pedophile who eats foot skin (RMS) or a super-libertarian gun nut furry (ESR).

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Dropped off the car for another warranty fix and an oil change. Got told it needs a service 3. I ask what service 3 is, turns out it's an oil change, tire rotation, and they grease the slide pins on the calipers, plus a few "visual inspections" of easy to see stuff.

To the tune of $340.00 + $50 extra for synthetic oil.

Bwahahahaha, drat they're absolutely brazen.

Edit: How did I miss Baja chat on the last page?

CharlesM posted:

Yeah the Baja was made in the U.S. and apparently only sold in the U.S., Canada and Chile.

Surprisingly, there's a few Baja's running around slavic countries, I know of at least one in Poland, and a few in Russia.

How they got there, :iiam:

Bajaha fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Mar 18, 2015

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
COMPUTER ASDHGASFFJAAJF!!!!!

I found a few '90s laptops in the shed yesterday whilst fruitlessly hunting for the SNES. At least I found the N64, but none of it's cables or controllers :(

I can't internet on my phone. I'm with Optus yet if I set my phone for Optus baseband it can't get a signal. I set it for Telstra and it can. It used to be sort of able to get data with a web page taking 5-10 minutes to load, but now it can't at all 99% of the time. It's on it's second screen and the clear camera cover thing has what looks like a crack in it but damned if it isn't the toughest phone I've had since my Nokia 5110. plus this one is waterproof. Unfortunately the rubber tough cases are no longer available even on eBay for it because I'd love one. My phones regularly get pulverized and contaminated with weird chemicals along with anything else in my pockets so they live short, unhappy lives.

Apple chat. The newest Apple product I own is a g3 Beige. I want to set it up again but I don't have the space. besides using it for some archaic games, it was also used for emulating an Apple IIgs, for working as a file server for my actual IIgs, and as a network bridge... yep, for the IIgs. Oh and it's also the only thing I have left with a working floppy drive. It has some video RAM shoved in it from a busted Dell HTPC which gets screen corruption for a while but it kind of works.
To each their own but I loathe OS X. I'm not compatible with it. That's all there is to it.
been using Linux for years and don't actually give a poo poo that RMS and Torvalds can be turds. it's pretty much a given for any organization / company. Linux works for me and that's what matters to me.

Car chat. Vroom Broom or some poo poo. Also I saw an electric power steering kit released for Nivas this week. I know it'd be illegal as all hell over here but if I had the cash I'd be tempted anyway. Their steering is as heavy as all hell, even with positive camber. And running a classic SAAS sports steering wheel on mine doesn't help either.

Yeah I'm done. Back to work.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Fucknag posted:

I had a pain in the rear end time getting steel toes that fit right. Walmart specials eventually revealed themselves for the garbage they are, so I went for a low-end set of Red Wings; 13s I just float around in, 12s I thought would break in better (they are comfy, but the toes got cramped after a full work shift), and they don't make half sizes beyond 11.5 apparently. :argh:

I've also put on like 90 pounds from my lightest adult weight, I'm around 350 now. I'm also 6'5", but I have narrow shoulders though so XL-T and even the very rare L-T is the best looking shirt size for me regardless of my inflating gut. And it's a pain in the rear end finding any jeans in a size 46, let alone that fit comfortably and aren't baggy as poo poo (I'm a fatass, that doesn't mean my goddamn calves are 8 feet around dammit!). Shorts are more acceptable in Florida, but I dread ever getting a real job and having to dress in khakis and long sleeve shirts and poo poo.

I love my keens, waterproof and insulated, They make em all the way to size 14. Comfy as all hell.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Richard Stallman is the biggest sperglord out of all of them.

Infamous video where he eats something from his foot:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I25UeVXrEHQ

Classic freak out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jskq3-lpQnE

He wrote a song about free software:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ig2L4X6b6ZM

Bonus: Linus Torvalds doesn't like Nvidia:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYWzMvlj2RQ

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Did I mention I'm jumping on a plane Thursday night to go watch 12 Hours of Sebring?

Because I'm jumping on a plane Thursday night to go watch 12 Hours of Sebring.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I'm jumping on a plane Saturday morning to go hang out with the Colorado crew, pick up my newly purchased 20+ year old craigslistmobile, grab some spare parts at the junkyard, then drive it two thousand miles home, likely alone unless I can find someone dumb or foolhardy enough to join in the fun.

I can't wait. :unsmigghh:

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Did your passing through des moines give me a shout!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

kastein posted:

I'm jumping on a plane Saturday morning to go hang out with the Colorado crew, pick up my newly purchased 20+ year old craigslistmobile, grab some spare parts at the junkyard, then drive it two thousand miles home, likely alone unless I can find someone dumb or foolhardy enough to join in the fun.

I can't wait. :unsmigghh:

Hit me up with your return route, maybe you'll pass somewhere nearby?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Very likely. I'll be taking 76 to 80 to 81 to 84. I've got likely stops planned for both of you, lightbulb out, general chicago area (southside saint and safety dance IIRC, plus my brother and his fiance), indiana's not far off track either, and I could probably stalk bucephalus/meatpimp before sneaking off into pennsyltucky.

Probably hitting up the Hazleton PA junkyard before getting back on the highway for the last leg of the journey, I haven't been there in 3 years now.

Anyone I missed?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

kastein posted:

chicago

Anyone I missed?

sperglord firecock :getin:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Raluek posted:

sperglord firecock :getin:

Oh hell no.

I will probably fix more on this car before I even start the drive than he ever will on his.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

kastein posted:

Oh hell no.

I will probably fix more on this car before I even start the drive than he ever will on his.

Hmm my batteries keep dying and this ground cable is monkeyfucked into the sheet metal, better replace the alternator and put a capacitor in right guys?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Fucknag posted:

Hmm my batteries keep dying and this ground cable is monkeyfucked into the sheet metal, better replace the alternator and put a capacitor in right guys?

H-whaaaa...? Seriously?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Fucknag posted:

Wait what

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Memento posted:

H-whaaaa...? Seriously?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3683154

Read if your brain can handle it.

Also someone on my FB posted a link to an :bahgawd: article about GOVERNMENT MOTORS' LATEST DEATHTRAP, the Volt, which has a recall announced last week.

The DANGEROUS ISSUE that proves OBUMMER'S TRYING TO KILL MURICA?

If you leave it on when you park it, the battery drains and the engine kicks on.

And if it's in an enclosed space, CO builds up to lethal levels.

KILLER CAR REVOLUTION REVOLUTION

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42

mariooncrack posted:

Infamous video where he eats something from his foot:

This is the grossest loving thing. Feet are gross he is gross why is he ughhhjhhhh gently caress.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Quite A Tool posted:

This is the grossest loving thing. Feet are gross he is gross why is he ughhhjhhhh gently caress.

You got a problem with germs I'm guessin'

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Every time I see that advert for the new Jaguar XF I get all excited because it looks just like an HSV Commodore and then it turns out it's not :saddowns:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Tusen Takk posted:

Okay, sure, but would you be able to get away with acting like linus does at your place of employment? Like I get it, he runs the show and can do whatever he wants, but that's not exactly the best way to go about it.

http://valleywag.gawker.com/linus-torvalds-does-not-give-a-poo poo-about-you-1680004895
http://badalhocando.blogspot.com/2011/10/linus-torvalds-is-douche.html
https://blog.mozilla.org/ejpbruel/2013/02/26/linus-torvalds-is-a-terrible-role-model-for-the-open-source-community/

Just because he gets results doesn't make him a megadick. Steve Jobs was a megadick, and he sure got a lot of stuff done.

Yes, he WOULD get away with it because those links completely misrepresent what really goes on and what he really says (FFS, dude those links are clearly loving terrible idiots with axes to grind) Get on the mailing lists and you will see Linus giving someone a broadside is completely justified and the haters are just loving poor sensitive widdle SJW's who cant cope with some guy telling it like it is.

Linus blows up when others seriously gently caress up. He is in fact quite good to work with and he is simply no nonsense and doesnt coddle idiots. He is spergy but that's a good thing when dealing with the loving idiots who try to commit stupidity in the kernel. If you put in good work, he is pretty drat awesome to work with. If you are an idiot, you get your rear end burned.

Hey, exactly like how a good place of employment works, you do good, you get rewarded, you are a loving idiot you get your rear end handed to you

Frankly there should be a drat sight more of it.

Jobs got nothing done. He was a piece of poo poo who claimed the work of others. gently caress him and gently caress his piece of poo poo company.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I couldn't agree more. And I'm perfectly alright with meritocracy when it comes to running technical projects.

Also, I don't care what color your skin is or what you have in your pants as long as you can write quality code. Can't write quality code? Go learn, come back, give it another shot. Operating systems are lovely enough with the issues they have already, we don't need to add more by coddling people who don't know what they're doing. Sorry.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I twisted my back today and have been stuck in bed since- but on the plus side, I marathon'd RoadKill and now I badly want a old vehicle to shove a LS6 into. drat it internets. Always giving me bad ideas. No time, no money, no space. Uggg.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Clearly your shop needs an addon, or a basement.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

IOwnCalculus posted:

Clearly your shop needs an addon, or a basement.

Our dad heard that we had cleared the old shops end bay out and has already claimed it to store his scout. I'm fairly certain this is going to end with me buying ~5-10 acres somewhere down the road and building an even larger shop.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42

Rhyno posted:

You got a problem with germs I'm guessin'

Germs don't bug me one bit. But I'm just plain not a fan of feet, at all. I was drat near dry heaving while was picking at that poo poo. And then when he did the ninja scoop into his mouth I about lost it.

Reminds me of a time I was sitting in traffic and I looked over and saw a dude digging for some mad gold in his nose while his girl was driving. Knuckle deep and then with zero hesitation he dragged that sucker out of his nose and right into his mouth in one smooth motion.

Sir Pukesalot
Nov 3, 2012
One of my classmates found a good way to destroy a almost-6-month-old iPhone 6, you just need to clean it with water (to get water under the screen) and dry it in a microwave oven for ~3 seconds (yes, it kinda worked at that point, but the screen wasn't responsive in some areas, so he factory-resat it (also because it was jailbroken, and he had some 6-month anything warranty thing, so also for that), but couldn't find out how (he did something wrong, but i don't know what), but at that point the old partition was already removed, so i tried to reset it for him, and actually got a lot farther then him, but halfway iTunes started whining about that something went wrong, so after 3 tries we agreed that it was dead. Will be exciting to see what the apple store says. :suicide:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

How are people that stupid managing to stay alive in this world?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I already use Plex for saved media, but it's not exactly useful for actually watching/recording live TV. It's the one thing that WMC is actually good at.

88h88 posted:

...also Windows 8 is the worst. I had fun with that when it came installed on my laptop last year. Utterly terrible. I had the same farce as STR reinstalling it until I cut my losses and went back to a copy of 7 so it'd actually work with the hardware I bought it for.

8 isn't bad - once it's installed and running - as long as you install something like StartIsback. It's significantly quicker overall, especially with bootup times (more because even a "shut down" is closer to hibernating).

Tusen Takk posted:

Can Chrysler be PalmOS? :v:

I still have my old Treo 650. :corsair: Won't power up anymore thanks to a dead battery (it just bootloops without the battery installed), but I bet with a new battery it would still work.

Negromancer posted:

Its not even me being anti-windows that stops me from fixing it, I have issues with my MBP that stump me until I do a basic search and find the ez fix. Windows 8 just confuses me since I expect it to have the old XP structure. I blame too many years of working on *nix servers at the cli only, consumer grade stuff just makes my head hurt.

Install Startisback or something similar, and you get the majority of the 7 UI back (which is similar to XP).

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

So tonight I'm being picked up in a nice white V6 F Type. I ain't mad, those things sound glorious. :allears:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

88h88 posted:

How are people that stupid managing to stay alive in this world?

Not only that, they become politicans.

And that is why we are soooooo screwed.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

the spyder posted:

Our dad heard that we had cleared the old shops end bay out and has already claimed it to store his scout. I'm fairly certain this is going to end with me buying ~5-10 acres somewhere down the road and building an even larger shop.

Your dad has a Scout and you're into RX7s?

Was your childhood just one uninterrupted span of lying in the dark corner of your room crying because your toy cars didn't rust or catch fire like dad's?

Seriously though post your dad's Scout.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

And just when I think I'll be caught up on the majority of my bills that are behind I have to take tomorrow off. $225 down the drain SMH.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

kastein posted:

Very likely. I'll be taking 76 to 80 to 81 to 84. I've got likely stops planned for both of you, lightbulb out, general chicago area (southside saint and safety dance IIRC, plus my brother and his fiance), indiana's not far off track either, and I could probably stalk bucephalus/meatpimp before sneaking off into pennsyltucky.

Probably hitting up the Hazleton PA junkyard before getting back on the highway for the last leg of the journey, I haven't been there in 3 years now.

Anyone I missed?

I'm up north of Chicago by the WI border. Depending on when/where you come through maybe I can join the fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Cat Terrist posted:

Not only that, they become politicans.

And that is why we are soooooo screwed.

Can we buy our own island please?

• Locked thread