Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
We still have none months between now and the earliest point at which Nintendo could possibly plan to give more information on the NX.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
I wonder if I'll even get to use the new 3ds I bought on launch before the new one is out. vOv

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Drowning Rabbit posted:

The n3DS will go the way of the DSi soon anyway. Nintendo is going to announce the NX or whatever as a new handheld that supports cross platform play and all of us that bought the n3DS will feel like dopes like I did when I bought a DSi XL and had the 3DS come out within a year. t:saddowns:t

Eh, I dunno about that. I think the 3DS is such a unique animal that it will still be some time before we see their next iteration.

Honestly, I get the feeling they're going to just merge it all into one, axe the concept of a home console entirely to solidify their playerbase, and just release some sort of crazy mega-handheld that is also the controller for some sort of wifi-capable VRAM box. The box hooks to your TV and is basically the new Wii, but the controller itself is actually the bulk of the system and you can just carry it away to play all of the same games (in a downscaled format) on the go. Smash Bros and Xenoblade, plus the design of the Wii U, are the testbed for this being the eventual next step. The endpoint is a 100% handheld system that can hook up to a TV and has home console quality graphics and whatnot to it. You want to play with friends on your couch? Buy multiple $300 systems and deal with it, scrublord. Some games will have MP mode sharing with your friends' systems, so they don't all need the game to play... but if you buy it, and have the right Amiibos, you can add all this extra bullshit on top! YAAAAAAY! :downs:

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Awesome! posted:

you dont even need a circle pad :ssh:

What if he plays gunner?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Silver Falcon posted:

Then the thing I was stuck on is the most obvious loving thing. I don't know why this happens.
your brain actually continues to think about it even without you realizing it

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Stravinsky posted:

What if he plays gunner?

still not necessary

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

People are getting really mad at their own imaginary assumptions about a system that won't even be unveiled until 2016, let alone released.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Gooch181 posted:

If I just want a 3DS for Monster Hunter 4, will I regret just picking up a used XL and adding one of those circle pro things?

You can play without the CPP using the on-screen D-pad or the lock-on feature, but it is nice to have. And yes, an XL plus CPP is actually the best way to enjoy MH.

The New 3DS loads faster and runs at a higher framerate, which is nice. But the c-nub is actually worse than a CPP, other than the fact that it fits in your pocket.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Nate RFB posted:

I'd say the opposite. The 3DS seems to upscale really badly so I prefer things to be smaller but sharper. After all I played those games on an actual Gameboy back in the day with an actual screen that small and it was fine then, so why not now? The only thing you have to get used to are the black bars which as far as I'm concerned is just the widescreen movies on a 4:3 TV argument all over again.

Resolution =/= screen size.

I find playing at the original resolution unbearable, it's just so drat tiny, I almost want to squint while playing. DS games aren't nearly as bad, at least on the XL, where strangely enough the original resolution does match up with the original screen size of a DS Lite, which I swear Nintendo did on purpose, but honestly, for most games is doesn't matter in the slightest.

Fuzz posted:

Honestly, I get the feeling they're going to just merge it all into one, axe the concept of a home console entirely to solidify their playerbase, and just release some sort of crazy mega-handheld that is also the controller for some sort of wifi-capable VRAM box. The box hooks to your TV and is basically the new Wii, but the controller itself is actually the bulk of the system and you can just carry it away to play all of the same games (in a downscaled format) on the go. Smash Bros and Xenoblade, plus the design of the Wii U, are the testbed for this being the eventual next step. The endpoint is a 100% handheld system that can hook up to a TV and has home console quality graphics and whatnot to it. You want to play with friends on your couch? Buy multiple $300 systems and deal with it, scrublord. Some games will have MP mode sharing with your friends' systems, so they don't all need the game to play... but if you buy it, and have the right Amiibos, you can add all this extra bullshit on top! YAAAAAAY! :downs:

There's an EA executive out there with a boner and has no idea why.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Stravinsky posted:

What if he plays gunner?

Gunner is weird because CPP right stick and left dpad aim, whereas x/a are your firing buttons so you don't use the CPP for the aiming anyway.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Fuzz posted:

Eh, I dunno about that. I think the 3DS is such a unique animal that it will still be some time before we see their next iteration.

But this is actually what I want to happen, my girlfriend and I don't want to have to buy a Wii U but also know we'll have to at some point (we already both have 3DS's, only one of which is Nu, a PS3, PS4, and Wii, some consolidation would be much appreciated, which is why I actually like PlayStation Now).

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
System has been at the repair center for 4 weeks and nintendo support said on the phone if I don't get it back in 2 more weeks then I should try calling again.

:DDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

:(

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

nuru posted:

The problem with Ace attorney is that you have to understand Ace Attorney logic to get anywhere sometimes. You may know the murderer's finger is inside the vase in evidence, but you need to figure out which inconsequential question/press combo will lead the judge to talk about how in his day they wore onions on their belts so that Edgeworth bumps into the vase and shatters it.

It's possible I just hate adventure games.

You weren't there to take photos of the stars, stars don't go BANG, ARHG, SPLOOSH, which is what your camera is set up for why can't I show you the picture and tell you this ahhh no it's proper evidence judge don't throw me out, don'- my poor defendant is dead what did they even want :(

Not played these before and enjoying them so far, sort of. :v:

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch

irlZaphod posted:

The only regret is that the 3DS has a zillion fantastic games other than Monster Hunter.

I'll be sure and do some looking. Thanks everyone.

Champeenship
Oct 9, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNh_phH91DI

VVVVT! VVVT!

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Help Im Alive posted:

I guess you just get used to spotting them after a while from how they word the questions or something. I've played all of the Layton games and I usually just think those puzzles are kinda clever

The worst puzzles are the slider ones. Also every once in a while you run into weird kinda obtuse ones like this

solution

That was a terrible one, but at least I was able to figure it out with the hints. Not like that God damned mosquito one.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

At the 3 second mark I went from "a dreamcast menu? ok whatever" to "holy loving poo poo"

raditts posted:

That was a terrible one, but at least I was able to figure it out with the hints. Not like that God damned mosquito one.

Oh my god, gently caress that puzzle. Some of the weekly puzzles in Layton 1 were the dumbest poo poo ever.

Champeenship
Oct 9, 2012
I just realized that the folders in that video are named 'Sega', 'Segaga' and 'Segagaga'. :3:

Edit: And now they've posted the recording process on twitter.

https://twitter.com/okunari/status/578011777096511488

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Received my Hori Duraflexi today. Took less than a week to arrive after ordering the LL version on Amazon. It fits perfectly and makes the device much easier to hold. It looks great, too.

Verdict: would buy again.

Now to glue some carts to the back.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Update on Steam's fantastic story

I am now taking H.P. Lovecraft to the land of Oz thanks to Dorothy's rocket boots. I have also recovered Abe's necronomicon.

This goddamn game is so good and it's a shame it won't get a second chance.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

There's...there's no way I can get this on my NA 3DS?

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

I commented to a friend that Persona Q was basically Etrian Odyssey with SMT combat mechanics. She had never heard of Etrian Odyssey, but she liked Persona Q. What's the consensus on the best Etrian Odyssey to start with?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

pun pundit posted:

I commented to a friend that Persona Q was basically Etrian Odyssey with SMT combat mechanics. She had never heard of Etrian Odyssey, but she liked Persona Q. What's the consensus on the best Etrian Odyssey to start with?

Untold is also fun gently caress the haters. But yeah 4.

Champeenship
Oct 9, 2012

Housh posted:

There's...there's no way I can get this on my NA 3DS?

Not right now at least. I recall the Sega twitter giving the usual non-committal answer when they were asked.

In other 'themes people here will probably want' news:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4jFK7fY2yU

There are more themes on the channel there.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Haruharuharuko posted:

Untold is also fun gently caress the haters. But yeah 4.

... there are haters? Untold is awesome.

Beard Yawn
Apr 11, 2011

You would make a good Dalek.
Put the link to all of Turtlicious's posts in the OP of this thread.

Actually put it in the OP of all threads.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

codenameFANGIO posted:

... there are haters? Untold is awesome.

Hate is a pretty accurate way of describing my feelings about

Gandalf21
May 17, 2012

Champeenship posted:

Not right now at least. I recall the Sega twitter giving the usual non-committal answer when they were asked.

Oh my god, I need this theme.

madeupfred
Oct 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Wow!!

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Champeenship posted:

:worship:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Here I thought the Snake Eater theme would be the only one I'd ever need.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Strange Quark posted:

Hate is a pretty accurate way of describing my feelings about

That looks like loving Seregios from Monster Hunter 4 and yeah, hate is the word.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Had they mixed in the Dreamcast startup noise, it would have been perfect.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

MGS3D needs a patch for the New 3DS so badly. There's the obvious patch to take advantage of the increase of RAM. The less obvious fix would be adjust the controls. The game thinks it's using the Circle Pad Pro, which added the zL and zR buttons. Those buttons were trigger like on that, but tiny and a bit out of the way for the New 3DS.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I think all Nintendo did with the New 3DS' C-stick is take the circuitry of the Circle Pad Pro and lump it into the 3DS body. Monster Hunter 4 recognizes it as a Circle Pad Pro. Probably nothing that can be done as far as altering the control scheme goes.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

pun pundit posted:

Etrian Odyssey 4 is a very good game, is probably the friendliest jumping on point in the entire series, but has way less story than PQ. Like, none of your main characters ever speak. There's still stuff going on around you and with NPCs.

I think it was also the first game that lets you switch to Casual mode at any point, which makes you take a bit less damage and makes it so that gameovers just knock you back to town instead of losing 2 hours of progress because you thought you would explore just a bit longer.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

That being said even set to easy/casual the EO games are still pretty difficult. It's a game that punishes you if you try to coast by without ever trying to learn how to bind things or use status ailments and it has a ton of dirty tricks in store that'll wipe you for clicking "yes." on a text box.

They're super fun but just be aware of that. Persona Q is pathetically easy so it's good that was the first one.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Shantae on the eShop is visibly worse than running it in DS mode at full screen. Dunno why, but there ya go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Not to ruin the fun, but Turtle, look up a thing called Simple Green. It might work, just don't soak your system in it.