Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

Yeah Lieberman is a really terrible piece of poo poo human being and so is livni. But they'll probably just get replaced with other hardliners so I guess it's just a temporary reprieve. It does make me laugh really hard to think of that fat gently caress as minister of tourism though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I'd prefer Minister of transportation, we don't want this rear end in a top hat interacting with other countries.

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

I guess he'll never get to send that reply when he becomes defense minister.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
Lieberman as Tourism Minister: all tour guides are printed solely in Cyrillic, visitors from Sweden are interrogated in special centers to determine how much money they were smuggling to Hamas and/or Meretz

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
Well gently caress this morning.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
So Yisrael Beiteinu & Jewish Home's loss is entirely Likud's gain, huh :smith:

How big is the new Government looking to be (in terms of seats)? And is it true that Labor was busing A-rabs to voting places? :ohdear:

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Likud: 29
Kulanu: 10
Yesh atid: 11
The jewish home: 8
Israel beitenu: 6
-------------------
64 seats

E: Israel beitenu could be replaced with either Shas or UTJ

By popular demand fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Mar 18, 2015

A Meat
Jun 28, 2013

CERTIFIED FRESH AS HELL DOC MAKER

Uuuuuuuuuuuuuugh.

I shouldn't have been even slightly hopeful yesterday evening.

Poor Meretz.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.
gently caress everything

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Sorry Palestinians, I guess you still don't count as people.:bang:

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
You know sometimes I get this idea in my head that someday there will be progress in Israel and we might take 1 step closer to peace and freedom for everyone. I was being foolish, of course. Nothing ever gets better here.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

We should start a new social movment:
The Israeli Nihilist Party: "We're gonna achive sweet gently caress all!"
Also, "You'll bury your children" , and the always popular " Death is certain"

E: Spray painted in big blocky letters: NO CHANGE / NO HOPE.

By popular demand fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Mar 18, 2015

Iowa Snow King
Jan 5, 2008
Could being essentially rewarded for his recent behavior make Bibi more intransigent? If he threw the weight of Israel into it he could definitely derail any non-proliferation deal with Iran. And with the peace process all but dead, what does the Israeli electorate expect to happen? To continue the status quo occupation perpetually?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Zehava Galon, Meretz chairperson, just resigned. Possibly Herzog will do the same in the next few days.

Life is poo poo, etc.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Zehava quitting seals the deal in my eyes as to this country's future. I truly feel as if all hope is lost.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Meh, who the gently caress is Zehava.

Let's face it now, Herzog is a big fail idiot loser with the charisma of a dead fish and hoping even for a moment he's gonna lure all those people 'on the fence' was a fools hope, just some nasally dork nobody truly cared about until 3 months ago. Tying our hopes to that guy was foolish. He tried to appeal to the right with his rhetoric but at the end of the day he doesn't have the charisma nor the credentials. Yehimovitch might have had a better shot, who knows, it looks like Avoda needs some Rabin clone, someone who's killed a lot of people but is now waxing poetic about coexistence.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Hey fellas, can I get a sourced link to Bibi saying the two state solution is dead? I need it for post election facebook arguing, and I can't find anything sourced on my own. Thanks

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Miftan posted:

Hey fellas, can I get a sourced link to Bibi saying the two state solution is dead? I need it for post election facebook arguing, and I can't find anything sourced on my own. Thanks

This is the source: http://www.nrg.co.il/online/1/ART2/683/880.html

quote:

אם אתה ראש ממשלה, לא תקום מדינה פלסטינית?
"אכן".

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Thanks man. How are you guys over there taking the loss? I assume there's no rioting or looting because the left is literally a bunch of dorks.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Miftan posted:

Thanks man. How are you guys over there taking the loss? I assume there's no rioting or looting because the left is literally a bunch of dorks.

We're bitching over facebook, what else will we do?

At the end of the day, as much as these results are distasteful and despairing, Israel is still partially a democracy, at least for us Jews, and if we wish for the democracy to remain as a possible venue for future change we have to be able to concede defeat, political violence has never been in the Israeli left's jargon and I consider that to be a good thing.

It's not like things changed that much, Guri Alfi quipped yesterday in "Mazav HaUma": "The forecast for tomorrow? similar". It's true, there was no rioting the past two years why would there be now?

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

Likud: 29
Yesh atid: 11
The jewish home: 8
Israel beitenu: 6
-------------------
64 seats

E: Israel beitenu could be replaced with either Shas or UTJ

Is Netanyahu really likely to take Yesh Atid again after everything that happened between him and Lapid? Would Lapid want to if offered? Even he might be smart enough to not tie himself to the diplomatic poison that this government is going to be. I think Netanyahu is likelier to take both Shas and UTJ instead.

Likud: 30 (Yup, up to 30 now)
The Jewish Home: 8
Shas: 7
UTJ: 6
Israel Beitenu: 6
Total of 67 seats.

Only upside that I can see in this election is that a coalition with so many parties isn't likely to be very stable so we're probably going to have early elections yet again.

Senjuro fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Mar 18, 2015

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Kulanu is definitely in, then?

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

Darth Walrus posted:

Kulanu is definitely in, then?

Nothing is definite yet but without Kulanu Netanyahu has no way to form a coalition unless he can use some sorcery to get Lapid and the Haredim together instead.

Senjuro fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Mar 18, 2015

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Does anybody know where I can get an up to date list of items that are barred entry into gaza? I can only find an official one from 2013.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
So Israel is going to keep being the Rhodesia of the Middle-East, then? Sucks.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Senjuro posted:

Nothing is definite yet but without Kulanu Netanyahu has no way to form a coalition unless he can use some sorcery to get Lapid and the Haredim together instead.
Ooooh that would be fun! Bibi would certainly deserve that ahahaha- :kheldragar:

GOD gently caress ISRAELI POLITICS

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Miftan posted:

Does anybody know where I can get an up to date list of items that are barred entry into gaza? I can only find an official one from 2013.

Gisha are pretty much the go to source for this, perhaps you can find an up to date list on their site but after going over it myself it seems like the current policy doesn't outright ban that many specific item but rather uses stringent regulation to cripple trade and allow only a trickle of goods and materials into the strip: http://www.gisha.org/UserFiles/File/publications_english/Commercial-Closure-Deleting-Gaza-Economy-from-the-Map-Eng.pdf

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Gisha are pretty much the go to source for this, perhaps you can find an up to date list on their site but after going over it myself it seems like the current policy doesn't outright ban that many specific item but rather uses stringent regulation to cripple trade and allow only a trickle of goods and materials into the strip: http://www.gisha.org/UserFiles/File/publications_english/Commercial-Closure-Deleting-Gaza-Economy-from-the-Map-Eng.pdf

I was looking for something like this: http://www.cogat.idf.il/sip_storage/files/4/4014.pdf

Official IDF paper saying what's in and what's not.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Iowa Snow King posted:

Could being essentially rewarded for his recent behavior make Bibi more intransigent? If he threw the weight of Israel into it he could definitely derail any non-proliferation deal with Iran. And with the peace process all but dead, what does the Israeli electorate expect to happen? To continue the status quo occupation perpetually?
Quoting this because I'm wondering the same thing. Is Bibi likely to just go back to sitting on the status quo while slowly gobbling up more of the West Bank, or are things going to get more heated over there?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Senjuro posted:

Likud: 30 (Yup, up to 30 now)
The Jewish Home: 8
Shas: 7
UTJ: 6
Israel Beitenu: 6
Total of 67 seats.

Israel Beitenu has been unwilling to cooperate with the ultra-orthodox parties in the past, so 61 seats seems more likely

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
As long as the settlers get to keep expanding they won't complain, as long as Bibi keeps the number of Israeli terrorism casualties at an acceptable low the Likud voters won't complain, as long as he gives Shas\UTJ the funds they want for their Schools and Yeshivas and not force them to serve in the IDF they won't complain either. In other words, unless Europe or Obama step up, or the Palestinian Authority disbands, the status quo is par for the course for the next four years. At the moment there are no obstacles in Netanyahu's path as far as the internal politics of Israel are concerned, the only thing the Israeli public expects of him which wasn't previously on the card is to reduce the housing and general living expenses, a responsibility which he's gonna delegate to Kahlon (who'll also get the flak in case of failure to achieve those goals).

emanresu tnuocca fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Mar 18, 2015

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Ultramega posted:

Other than haredim, who actually votes for UTJ or the ultra-orthodox parties?

Shas is full of racist Mizrahim who hate both Arabs and Russians.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

emanresu tnuocca posted:

As long as the settlers get to keep expanding they won't complain, as long as Bibi keeps the number of Israeli terrorism casualties at an acceptable low the Likud voters won't complain, as long as he gives Shas\UTJ the funds they want for their Schools and Yeshivas and not force them to serve in the IDF they won't complain either. In other words, unless Europe or Obama step up, or the Palestinian Authority disbands, the status quo is par for the course for the next four years. At the moment there are no obstacles in Netanyahu's path as far as the internal politics of Israel are concerned, the only thing the Israeli public expects of him which wasn't previously on the card is to reduce the housing and general living expenses, a responsibility which he's gonna delegate to Kahlon (who'll also get the flak in case of failure to achieve those goals).

Kahlon is the new Lapid. Bibi's financial scapegoat.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

New Division posted:

I like how certain commentators just can't stop comparing Bibi to Churchhill.:rolleyes:

Of course, there are some similarities. I bet Winston would have been all about leveling the shantytowns of uppity wogs who don't know their place.

Well, let's see what Churchill had to say in a speech that was specifically about Palestine:

Churchill, at the Peel Commission, posted:

I do not agree that the dog in a manger has the final right to the manger even though he may have lain there for a very long time. I do not admit that right. I do not admit for instance, that a great wrong has been done to the Red Indians of America or the black people of Australia. I do not admit that a wrong has been done to these people by the fact that a stronger race, a higher-grade race, a more worldly wise race to put it that way, has come in and taken their place.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

Sorry Palestinians, I guess you still don't count as people.:bang:

I spent the morning reading about boycott/divestment even though I've never been politically inclined to do so in the past. I think that things have a chance to change within the US as far as support for Israel after such a blatant refusal of a Palestinian state. Hopefully there are some serious discussions about US support within the Security Council for some of the less egregious resolutions.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Pitiful voter turnout in the Arab cities, around 40% in most. Lower than average turnout in most "leftist strongholds", Tel-Aviv and Haifa with 60% each, 7% less than the national average. Seems like higher than average turnout in the settlements with more than half voting Likud there.

I mean, the arabs I can understand, they have their reasons, I respect that, I do not agree with them and wish that they voted but whatever, but what the gently caress about the rest, why must the left bleed 5-6 seats every election due to lower turnouts. Pathetic.

What is your source for this? If this really happened because of low turnout in the cities, I'm going to lose my poo poo. That makes me even angrier than Bibi winning.

If the math was there and they simply didn't show up, there can be no excuse.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

What is your source for this? If this really happened because of low turnout in the cities, I'm going to lose my poo poo. That makes me even angrier than Bibi winning.

Excuse for what? why would Arab citizens not voting for something that doesn't represent them make you angry?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Let's just ignore the antisemite.

I was going over the voting percentages in the official elections committee website, they weren't final but reviewing those particular cities in light of the final results seems like my statements are still accurate, 63% in tel-aviv, 71% nationally. Arab turnout was actually higher than average and indeed they won 14 seats.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Either get a room and gently caress or shut the gently caress up already with this poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

"why would they vote in an election for a government that does not represent them" = Anti-Semite.

Holy poo poo, get a grip.

Listen, this is the (I/P) thread, sometimes you'll hear opinions you wont like, if this was an exclusively (I/) thread then I wouldn't be here expressing a differing viewpoint.

• Locked thread