Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Hadlock posted:

So after it's out been a week and the new-toy shine starts to wear off, is this still worth :20bux::10bux: ?

what the hell is wrong with you why have you not bought this already is your hand broken just get it man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

HardDisk posted:

There's a real dearth of sceenshots and fan art in the OP, can you guys give me a hand there? :)

On a related note to this, screenshots from this game are practically made to be run through FotoSketcher to make them look like paintings, you may recognise the first one as one of the screenshots for Chewbot's Color Correction stuff back on Page 1 of the thread:

Yes, that's the Statue of Wealth on fire, why do you ask?

And did this one with the new version of my Mirrors Edge color correction:

Of course I've still got the original screenshots if you'd prefer those.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."

Hadlock posted:

So after it's out been a week and the new-toy shine starts to wear off, is this still worth :20bux::10bux: ?

It's basically Sim City 4, 2015 edition with all the logical expansions and bugfixes and I can't wait to play it more. I think this is one of these games you can get years of milage from by revisting every now and then, mostly because I don't think there will be something like it again anytime soon (even though the indie market has a tendency to clone an idea that proved successful for the nth time)

That being said, the balance on things seems to be way off. It's very easy to just end up having unlimited money which makes all the little tax stuff this game has pointless, but I just assume that's how these games tend to be. Also they kind of seem to have an green agenda and you need to want to destroy the environment, there doesn't really seem to be an advantage in doing so. Somehow this bothered me a little. It also does quite a bit of quirky stuff I feel which could even be fixed by mods.

Police Automaton fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Mar 18, 2015

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Macaluso posted:

i made a cheat city where I built up a bunch of poo poo and then proceeded to flood the entire thing with dams.

There were tweets, as the water was engulfing the city, about how beautiful the city is and how great of a mayor I am. You have some low standards folks.

I wish there were actual disasters though. Have them be a thing you can turn on and off, but there needs to be like tornados and poo poo that can destroy parts of the city

This. This so very hard. The only "disasters" in this game are either comedies of error (flooding your town with a dam), industrial traffic, and weirdness with garbage truck/hearse pathing. I have only come close to losing a city once, and that was by turning off my medical clinic WHILE turning off garbage WHILE pumping tainted water into the system as I was going for two unique building unlocks at once (below 20 health in city, garbage pileup). The mixture of corpses and tainted water with no medical intervention actually nearly sent me to a death spiral and I had to take bailout money.

Fire stations, medical clinics and police stations are too strong for day-to-day life and make your city incredibly happy. Outside of maybe upgraded fire stations (normal ones seem unable to make industrial zones stop being red fire hazards) there seem no reason to make the upgraded versions of any of those three outside of achievements. Mixed with the lack of discrete information in a lot of areas the game seems a bit flimsy in some way simulation wise.

Still loving it, and I'm probably going to lose several more full days to it, it's just the simulation feels a bit shallow in some ways. Thankfully there's the Steam Workshop to distract me from that.

On the plus side, the fact that fires are just a thing that happens and the game doesn't pause completely while you plonk firetrucks in the area is something I don't miss at all from classic sim city games.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Police Automaton posted:

It's basically Sim City 4, 2015 edition with all the logical expansions and bugfixes

It's deserving to be called Simcity 5 to be honest. Districts and seamless regions basically makes this the next step in city building games.

It's still rough around the edges but whats in the middle is a mile high

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

HardDisk posted:

There's a real dearth of sceenshots and fan art in the OP, can you guys give me a hand there? :)

A few more: http://imgur.com/a/reac3

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*

Police Automaton posted:

It's basically Sim City 4, 2015 edition with all the logical expansions and bugfixes and I can't wait to play it more. I think this is one of these games you can get years of milage from by revisting every now and then, mostly because I don't think there will be something like it again anytime soon (even though the indie market has a tendency to clone an idea that proved successful for the nth time)

That being said, the balance on things seems to be way off. It's very easy to just end up having unlimited money which makes all the little tax stuff this game has pointless, but I just assume that's how these games tend to be. Also they kind of seem to have an green agenda and you need to want to destroy the environment, there doesn't really seem to be an advantage in doing so. Somehow this bothered me a little. It also does quite a bit of quirky stuff I feel which could even be fixed by mods.

The thing with real-time management sims has always been that after a certain point, it runs itself. In this game it happens relatively soon (just a little bit later than SC2000's in my experience) but there's the bones of stuff that can make expansion more difficult with a little rebalancing though. Stuff like viral outbreaks and obesity epidemics and industrial busts could be fun (SC2000 had a scenario where you had to recover industry in Flint, Michigan during the transition to the rust belt era).

Industrial demand and types in SC2000 were actually pretty granular, with many types of industries that each had their own demand (and if you had high amounts of an industry in low demand, those industries would fall into decline). It was just window dressing though.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

How do you get it to look like this?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Is it just me or is the performance in this game is god drat awful?

I haven't got the best rig but I can run most games quite well but Skylines constantly jumps between 60 and 40 fps on medium settings with shadows off and it's even worse if I zoom in.
Also the anti-aliasing in this game is awful, everything is so jaggy, it's a giant eye sore.

I really want to enjoy this game but I find it unplayable right now. :(

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Vahakyla posted:

How do you get it to look like this?

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=406018056&searchtext=
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=406629464&searchtext=
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=406255342&searchtext=
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=406326408&searchtext=
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=408932281&searchtext=

I run 300% supersampling for 1920x1080 (only when taking screenshots), film grain disabled, and 30 FOV with the first person camera.

Diviance
Feb 11, 2004

Television rules the nation.

The Mantis posted:

Would be up to see more. I missed the layouts you mentioned.

First grid:

More uniform, second grid:

Third, traffic trident variant:

Pictures of the three grids. All three don't really have any traffic issues.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.
For anybody still on the fence about buying this.

1) its worth the price of admission. Its worth 2x of the new SimCity

2) its better then new SimCity

3) Modding is awesome

4) just buy the drat game already its great.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.

Jack Trades posted:

I haven't got the best rig but I can run most games quite well but Skylines constantly jumps between 60 and 40 fps on medium settings with shadows off and it's even worse if I zoom in.
Also the anti-aliasing in this game is awful, everything is so jaggy, it's a giant eye sore.

Any info on your rig would be great. I'm running on a fairly average rig (660gt, i7960) and it seems fine for me. Roll back (or update) your drivers first and see of it makes any changes. Also remove any dust from your cpu/gpu and see if that helps.

*edit* Sorry for the double post!

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Hey guys Im supposed to be making the game look like SC4 right?

aaaand several hardware generations later.

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty

Jack Trades posted:

The AA is definitely a problem, I have a GTX 970 and I have to downsample from 4K using the DSR mod to have lines that are anything like acceptably smooth. It seems to be worse for some people than others. Hopefully they do something to improve it at any rate.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Is anyone else bothered by the massive amount of curbside parking the Cims engage in? All those cars just sitting there!

I need to download some parking lot mods I guess. Anyone got any they particularily like? I don't suppose parking garages are possible? a plopabble structure that contains (and mostly hides) lots and lots of parking spaces?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Is anyone else bothered by the massive amount of curbside parking the Cims engage in? All those cars just sitting there!

I need to download some parking lot mods I guess. Anyone got any they particularily like? I don't suppose parking garages are possible? a plopabble structure that contains (and mostly hides) lots and lots of parking spaces?

I've seen a parking garage on the workshop, no idea if it works or not though.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Jack Trades posted:

Unity.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

Diviance posted:

Third, traffic trident variant:

I approve of this :v:

Also, I applied the trident idea with the things I learned about highways earlier and made a double diamond (technically it's called a full diamond, but I didn't check the list of interchanges to see if this was a thing before making it)

You can see the triple exit ramps splitting traffic. And the merge points work 2/3rds as theorized, the inbound lanes with turn signals do take the left and right sides of the highway when entering, but the straight thru lanes just pick whichever lane when they come out, so I'll be turning them back into full highway segments right after the initial split. If you keep the whole stretch a highway, all three lanes will be thru lanes. Also, I can make this smaller I think.

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....
thsi game gives me anxiety like no other becuz i realize how there is no trick to being good at the game you have to be creative and patient .. .two things i dont have

im like hours in and my town is starting to look like silent hill as they are like "do more and stop bein broke" as money heommograhes away into the muddy brown waters

crime is rampatnt becuz i cant afford another police station and half the city is on fire becuz I ran out of money to make roads for my fire turkcks

everyone is sick becuz no one will give me a loan - i lower taxes to make the people happier buet the just keep dying

my roads look like you give an autistic kid the fantasia hat and some ketamine

I just cant win :ohdear:

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I live in a city of ~100k and it's mostly curbside parking. There are... two or three parking garages downtown, the mall parking lots outside of the core, and then pretty much everything else is curb or small store lot.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
The number one thing I want from the modding community is a full-size professional ballpark. The soccer stadium's fine, but my city is in America, damnit. I've settled for plopping the little league parks from the workshop all around town.

I'm up to 44k population now, and the traffic problems I created decades ago are still plaguing me. I should probably bulldoze all of the "Historic District" and try to work the kinks out, but I just can't be that cruel.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

What are the public transit options like? I really wanted to play around with street cars and subways, sort of like what Budapest and Vienna have.

Actually I just want to completely recreate Budapest :allears:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Hadlock posted:

What are the public transit options like? I really wanted to play around with street cars and subways, sort of like what Budapest and Vienna have.

Actually I just want to completely recreate Budapest :allears:

You've got buses, subways, normal rail, boats and planes. Sadly no street cars (and if they were they'd do horrible things to this game's simplistic traffic).

While a bit lacking in options, the tools they give you are incredibly powerful, complete with the ability to make bus and train routes.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
What are some decent maps that are hilly, but not mountainous?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Can't recreate my hometown (Melbourne) without trams, either. Or a rail-underground connector. Or smaller drat train stations.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

What color profile is this. I must have it.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Lester Shy posted:

The number one thing I want from the modding community is a full-size professional ballpark. The soccer stadium's fine, but my city is in America, damnit. I've settled for plopping the little league parks from the workshop all around town.

I'm up to 44k population now, and the traffic problems I created decades ago are still plaguing me. I should probably bulldoze all of the "Historic District" and try to work the kinks out, but I just can't be that cruel.

Hey maybe once your lovely country can make a City Builder that isn't poo poo, you'll get a stadium for your mutant babby cricket.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=409073164

I know some folks were looking for this before. Pillar removal from railroad tracks so you can build your train tracks above roads.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

I'm working on a 4x4 growable industrial building (or a mesh for one, anyway). I might not get to texturing today; what I'm thinking of doing is dividing the work by doing models on one day, and textures on another so I can worry about the different tasks separately instead of diving right into textures right after making a model. I know some people are looking for proper high tech industry, so hopefully I can edit the pollution and workers of these buildings and have them import ore too (I haven't used the industrial asset editor yet).

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

I found the color LUAs and they are amazing.

Screenshots taken using this one: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=408932281&searchtext=

And another nice one you might not have noticed: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=408526347

We need a mars themed LUA to go along with the mars map. http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=408111134&searchtext=mars

Raskolnikov fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Mar 18, 2015

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

You know what, I forgot to see what properties I could edit for this thing :doh:

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

When I see screenshots like this I wonder how the hell people could become so much better than me in such a short time. I've been playing this game way before release and I can't get my cities to look this pretty. drat you all!

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

Groogy posted:

When I see screenshots like this I wonder how the hell people could become so much better than me in such a short time. I've been playing this game way before release and I can't get my cities to look this pretty. drat you all!

This is basically a grid, though. It's just there's a lot of it.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Just a little bug warning when you're playing in the asset editor. If you save something, then start a new asset, always remember to check your save naming, it doesn't clear the old asset save name out.

Time to make the Double Diamond again -_-

This is probably? as small as is reasonable for max speed of the 45 degree on/off ramps.

Ulu
Nov 7, 2005
The Hong Kong map is great :

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Police Automaton posted:

Mods really give this game endless possibilities. The only thing really missing, as people pointed out, are disasters not caused by flooding. Some new challenges to make the game very difficult once you hit a certain cap. Maybe in an expansion?

Diviance
Feb 11, 2004

Television rules the nation.

Slickdrac posted:

Just a little bug warning when you're playing in the asset editor. If you save something, then start a new asset, always remember to check your save naming, it doesn't clear the old asset save name out.

I did this twice while making the grids I showed earlier. So annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

There should be tall level 1 high density residential... the PJs.