Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MortLansky
Dec 17, 2014
So I'm thinking about taking my 88 325is spec E30 racing. If I do, should I just leave the paint stock (black), or do a badass vinyl 80s DTM livery tribute?

I'm leaning towards this, since you know, black:

But also love these as well:

I'm still not sure if this would be considered cool or total poser weenie bullshit. I'll probably end up running the car a year or two without, but if costs aren't that prohibitive, poo poo, why not?

Also, I realize that none of the sweet M3 bodywork/aero is allowed on these cars, so the might degrade the effect somewhat of a DTM tribute E30.

MortLansky fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Mar 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

My 1995 530i is having major problems with the key not turning in the ignition. I have to keep reinserting the key and trying to turn it a good dozen times to finally get it to turn so I can start the car.

My internet research has led me to believe that the steering wheel lock mechanism is jamming and that I can drill out the spring so that the steering wheel can not lock and my problems will be solved.

Does this sound correct? I'd like some advice before I go breaking something on my car on purpose.

This is the solution I'm looking at:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8apFJroHhQ

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

Lincoln posted:

This is where the hatch/door/cover/whatever of the passenger-side headlight washer was until sometime this afternoon. e70...2011 X5 50i

So, what's it called, and what's it going to cost to replace it? I assume whoever stole it yanked the washer nozzle, too. I'm pretty sure the thing never even activated.

OK, I posted this back in December. Got it fixed, and BOTH of them have popped out again since then. I have two nice holes in the front of my X5. I did manage to salvage one of the nozzle/cover assemblies...the other was lost, and it's replacement has been ordered.

When it arrives, I plan on having the headlight washers disabled. Three lost headlight washers in four months is loving nuts. MY QUESTION IS...is a simple matter to replace the nozzles myself, or does it involve removing the bumper or some such? For all I know, they just push back into place. Keep in mind, they'll be deactivated at this point, so they'll never trigger again.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

MortLansky posted:

So I'm thinking about taking my 88 325is spec E30 racing. If I do, should I just leave the paint stock (black), or do a badass vinyl 80s DTM livery tribute?

I'm leaning towards this, since you know, black:

But also love these as well:

I'm still not sure if this would be considered cool or total poser weenie bullshit. I'll probably end up running the car a year or two without, but if costs aren't that prohibitive, poo poo, why not?

Also, I realize that none of the sweet M3 bodywork/aero is allowed on these cars, so the might degrade the effect somewhat of a DTM tribute E30.

Do it and if anyone gives you poo poo for a DTM livery on a non-M3 tell them to gently caress off. The white with M stripes is classic but the JPS is one of my favorites. Since the E21 is black and already has gold pin stripes it's going to get a few JPS touches as a half assed tribute.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Lincoln posted:

OK, I posted this back in December. Got it fixed, and BOTH of them have popped out again since then. I have two nice holes in the front of my X5. I did manage to salvage one of the nozzle/cover assemblies...the other was lost, and it's replacement has been ordered.

When it arrives, I plan on having the headlight washers disabled. Three lost headlight washers in four months is loving nuts. MY QUESTION IS...is a simple matter to replace the nozzles myself, or does it involve removing the bumper or some such? For all I know, they just push back into place. Keep in mind, they'll be deactivated at this point, so they'll never trigger again.

That sucks. I have not done this on a BMW, but I've replaced one on an Audi and while you can do it from the top, if it doesn't fully engage, it can pop out again (as you've seen).

If it were me, I'd pull the front bumper, make sure the replacement is fully and properly seated, then epoxy it in, then continue to use it. I like the high-pressure washers in the Winter, so for me they're worth keeping functional.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

NitroSpazzz posted:

Do it and if anyone gives you poo poo for a DTM livery on a non-M3 tell them to gently caress off. The white with M stripes is classic but the JPS is one of my favorites. Since the E21 is black and already has gold pin stripes it's going to get a few JPS touches as a half assed tribute.

Absolutely this. Do the DTM tribute. The white / stripes is my favourite but JPS is very very classy too.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

FIRST TIME posted:

My 1995 530i is having major problems with the key not turning in the ignition. I have to keep reinserting the key and trying to turn it a good dozen times to finally get it to turn so I can start the car.

My internet research has led me to believe that the steering wheel lock mechanism is jamming and that I can drill out the spring so that the steering wheel can not lock and my problems will be solved.

Dumb question before you disable your steering lock, have you tried cranking the wheel one way or another while trying to turn the key? My E46 can get stuck if I park with the wheel slightly turned or on uneven surfaces where the wheel ends up resting against the lock. Giving it a bit of a twist in the opposite direction from whichever lock side it's resting on always frees it up like normal.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

I think it's past that point unfortunately, being as I've had to wiggle the steering wheel when I go to turn the key in the ignition pretty much since I've owned the car.

It's become a habit at this point and I think the problem was always there, it's just gotten terminal at this point.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Crosspost from CL gold - I'm going to try and take a look at this. Am I correct that it seems like a solid deal? Anything I should look out for in particular?

This seems like a ridiculous good price, and I've never seen a ZHP with this low mileage or in this good of condition. Pretty color, too.

http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/cto/4929099157.html

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Barely 1000 miles on the M4 and I already have a punctured tire. Well on my way to maintaining my 2-tire-punctures-a-year average.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

E30 exhaust, ANZA or Ireland Engineering?

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

blk posted:

Crosspost from CL gold - I'm going to try and take a look at this. Am I correct that it seems like a solid deal? Anything I should look out for in particular?

This seems like a ridiculous good price, and I've never seen a ZHP with this low mileage or in this good of condition. Pretty color, too.

Seems on the high side, I bought my ZHP a couple years ago for $10k even, but mine had 115k on the clock. Try and talk him down a bit closer to 10, and if things like the cooling system/bushings haven't been done recently, use those against him as tools to lower the price.

If it's got records and is well maintained you should go for it though, join the PDX E46 crew!

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

T-Square posted:

E30 exhaust, ANZA or Ireland Engineering?

i think there's a stromung GB going on over on r3v

blk, that coupe looks really nice, maybe 11k considering the low mileage? i suspect he probably wont come down much more but its a really nice looking car.

Stardotstar
Jun 2, 2012

blk posted:

Pretty good deal if it really is a manual.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
WBABD53455PD99222 looks legit on http://www.bmwarchive.org/vin/bmw-vin-decoder.html

Transmission: manuell

Production date: 11.02.2005

:getin:

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Speaking of E46s, I give you this:

The right-hand pivot in the linkage corroded internally and seized up, which broke the pivot casting where it presses into the linkage. It really isn't that hard to remove or install, the biggest hassle being a 10mm bolt hidden deep under the cowl and behind the motor, but I have to do the job all over tomorrow, because the wipers aren't reinitialising properly and as a result are not parking in the proper position. I'm kind of stumped as to why this is; I am well aware of the fact that linkages are sold with the motor attached and as such, the parking thing shouldn't have been a problem (but screw spending $900 after shipping, exchange rate and duty for a new one)...about the only thing I can think of is that the linkage and motor weren't in the correct position when I put them together. I guess this means I get to do it all over again tomorrow or Sunday...hooray.

Additionally, I found that I need to replace the driver's side wiper arm, as the sleeve that connects the arm to the wiper linkage has come out of its press fitting, and I really should replace the windshield cowl, as the seal degradation was what probably caused the pivot to corrode and seize up in the first place.

MrChips fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Mar 14, 2015

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

GET BENT, WINTER :black101:

Good to be back on the road. I wound the engine out on an onramp this morning and now I'm dying for my first track day in May.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

ColdPie posted:

GET BENT, WINTER :black101:

Good to be back on the road. I wound the engine out on an onramp this morning and now I'm dying for my first track day in May.

It seems low percentage, but do you live in Metro Detroit by chance? Your neighborhood looks extremely similar to mine...

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

gently caress
http://dayton.craigslist.org/cto/4923753873.html
me.
https://columbus.craigslist.org/ctd/4920250250.html

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Good thing the timing belt has been changed :lol:

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

Winner, SA's Sikh Of the Year, 2013

McMadCow posted:

I don't think that's it. My TPS is on the same loom as the MAF, but is farther back and is a proper reach. I don't think this one can reach the TPS...

Lmao, I have the same issue with my E30. No loving idea

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

PaintVagrant posted:

It seems low percentage, but do you live in Metro Detroit by chance? Your neighborhood looks extremely similar to mine...

Nope, St Paul, MN.

POKEMAN SAM
Jul 8, 2004
A month into having my M4 I hit the lip on a low parking curb and it peeled the clear shield back and took the paint along with it. Couldn't tell unless you were low or looking for it, but it made me super sad. Luckily, BMW sells CF splitter that covers that entire part of the lip, but it's built to pair visually with a proper front lip and is pretty dark for a bright orange car. There's no way I can traverse the streets/hills of Washington with the front any lower, so I played around in Photoshop and mocked up a paint job on the CF lips to help it match the car better (otherwise it just stood out as a randomly-black-CF piece IMO). Came up with an edge stripe in Photoshop: http://i.imgur.com/QdB6r8y.jpg http://i.imgur.com/XZTUm4Z.jpg (I have a similar stripe on the CF trunk spoiler, and that supposedly-Orange M4 is actually a Photoshop-colored white M4 since there weren't good angles of an Orange M4 with just the CF splitters and no lip)

Anyways, I sent those concepts into IND and had them do a pair of splitters with that paint scheme and got the pieces back the other day. I've installed them via the bolt hole but haven't done any tape yet (it shifts around a bit, needs the tape more than I figured, but it will be easy enough as soon as I have time to spend in the garage).

Thoughts? Apparently IND and their Flickr followers liked them enough that after my pieces were done they started advertising/selling them as an option on their site, which makes me feel pretty :krad:.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

POKEMAN SAM posted:

A month into having my M4 I hit the lip on a low parking curb and it peeled the clear shield back and took the paint along with it. Couldn't tell unless you were low or looking for it, but it made me super sad. Luckily, BMW sells CF splitter that covers that entire part of the lip, but it's built to pair visually with a proper front lip and is pretty dark for a bright orange car. There's no way I can traverse the streets/hills of Washington with the front any lower, so I played around in Photoshop and mocked up a paint job on the CF lips to help it match the car better (otherwise it just stood out as a randomly-black-CF piece IMO). Came up with an edge stripe in Photoshop: http://i.imgur.com/QdB6r8y.jpg http://i.imgur.com/XZTUm4Z.jpg (I have a similar stripe on the CF trunk spoiler, and that supposedly-Orange M4 is actually a Photoshop-colored white M4 since there weren't good angles of an Orange M4 with just the CF splitters and no lip)

Anyways, I sent those concepts into IND and had them do a pair of splitters with that paint scheme and got the pieces back the other day. I've installed them via the bolt hole but haven't done any tape yet (it shifts around a bit, needs the tape more than I figured, but it will be easy enough as soon as I have time to spend in the garage).

Thoughts? Apparently IND and their Flickr followers liked them enough that after my pieces were done they started advertising/selling them as an option on their site, which makes me feel pretty :krad:.

If that's actually an orange car... Your camera needs some serious help.

Looks good though.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

SiGmA_X posted:

If that's actually an orange car... Your camera needs some serious help.

Looks good though.

It does look like it's got some orange in direct sunlight. I did a quick whitepoint adjustment to take a little bit of blue out of the highlights and it is a tad more apparent:

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Raluek posted:

It does look like it's got some orange in direct sunlight. I did a quick whitepoint adjustment to take a little bit of blue out of the highlights and it is a tad more apparent:

It's not orange, it's gold and white sorryIhadtodoit

POKEMAN SAM
Jul 8, 2004

Raluek posted:

It's BMW's Sakhir Orange, which is like 50% of the way between a metallic red and a metallic orange. Depending on the lighting there are people who see it in person that dint believe it's orange. Those photos were taken as the sun was rapidly setting so I'm not surprised it didn't draw out the orange. It's pretty accurate though to what I saw (I took the photos with my DSLR and spent time in light room with the raws.)

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

POKEMAN SAM posted:

Great way to make them blend in a bit more--almost a CRT them for the new chassis!

blk
Dec 19, 2009
I'm still kicking myself for not moving fast enough on BlackMK4's 318is, but this one popped up near me. I don't know much about E30s; what do you guys think? IIRC BlackMK4 had done a lot of work on his M42, this doesn't really have anything documented there and I'm wondering if there's a backlog of maintenance i'd have to tackle.

http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/cto/4928072808.html

MortLansky
Dec 17, 2014

blk posted:

I'm still kicking myself for not moving fast enough on BlackMK4's 318is, but this one popped up near me. I don't know much about E30s; what do you guys think? IIRC BlackMK4 had done a lot of work on his M42, this doesn't really have anything documented there and I'm wondering if there's a backlog of maintenance i'd have to tackle.

http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/cto/4928072808.html

From the pictures at least, looks like a well loved car in the care of a non total idiot owner. Unless you're several hundred miles away, what's the harm in going to see it in person? If something's broken or not to your liking, make a counter offer accordingly. Hell, bring $4k in cash and he'll probably give it to you on the spot.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

MortLansky posted:

From the pictures at least, looks like a well loved car in the care of a non total idiot owner. Unless you're several hundred miles away, what's the harm in going to see it in person? If something's broken or not to your liking, make a counter offer accordingly. Hell, bring $4k in cash and he'll probably give it to you on the spot.

It's about a three hour drive away. I might have a friend take it in for a PPI at a shop. I'm really unfamiliar with E30s and have read some buying guides but don't know how much time/$$$ some of the common issues are.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I guess you can ask him what kind of bike or snow board he puts on that rack. If he says none, you'll have an idea that he's more of a bro than a car guy.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
Is it just me or is a PPI on a $4500 30yr old car seem a little ridiculous?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

mafoose posted:

I was going to say that, but :effort:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Buy it, skip the PPI. Looks well taken care of and fun to drive! There's nothing on that car that can't be easily fixed even if there is a problem.

First time driving my 318iS on the street after stripping the headliner and rear seats and it's hillariously loud inside, especially with this exhaust leak.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Some dude wanted to drive my old MK4 30 minutes for an inspection when I said in the ad it needed a wheel bearing ASAP and the muffler was not on the car anymore. It was $1900 OBO.

E30s are pretty easy to inspect - check the usual rust spots (which can be found by an internet search), and drive the car. If the engine sounds healthy, it drives, turns and stops OK, you should buy it. It's an e30, if you're scared of a maintenance backlog you really shouldn't get the car. That's a 25 year old car, stuff is going to break.

blk posted:

It's about a three hour drive away. I might have a friend take it in for a PPI at a shop. I'm really unfamiliar with E30s and have read some buying guides but don't know how much time/$$$ some of the common issues are.

I drove 5 hours one way to get my e36, sometimes you just have to take a chance for the right car. At the very least you'll see if you even want an 318.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

mafoose posted:

It's hilarious.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Chemmy posted:

It's hilarious.

"leaking from everywhere, everything has play in it, there's substantial rust, check engine light is on for a myriad of reasons... yep, seems in good condition for the age and mileage!"

- any PPI for any car I've bought in the past decade.

(Actually, my $800 truck doesn't leak from anywhere! yet...)

blk
Dec 19, 2009

mafoose posted:

It probably is, I just won't be able to get down to see the car until next week and the only person I know in the area isn't very mechanically inclined and wouldn't know what to look for. Having a vote of confidence from a shop I know there would give me confidence to buy the car sight unseen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Test drive it, buy it and drive it home. I did the same with my 318iS 6 years ago when I flew to SF and drove it home to Seattle.