Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Skwirl posted:

Apologies, everytime I try and remember details from that film I see a bright light, then blackness then I'm in a different city covered in other people's blood.

For me it's like Zombo.com, except with a zooming batnipple and sound clips of ice puns. Then I wake up in a gas station restroom with no pants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Batman & Robin is better than 2/3rds of the Nolan movies.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Batman and Robin is to this day the most interesting Batman film, because the themes they address are so different from the other Batfilms.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Mr. Maltose posted:

Batman and Robin is to this day the most interesting Batman film, because the themes they address are so different from the other Batfilms.

The scenes with Clooney and Gough are pretty jarring. It's like they cut to a different, better film for a few minutes here and there.

The Action Man
Oct 26, 2004

This is a good movie.
My main problem with Batman and Robin is that it's a weaker, less funny version of the Adam West TV show.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

The Action Man posted:

My main problem with Batman and Robin is that it's a weaker, less funny version of the Adam West TV show.

I feel like Mae West would've been a bit old for Poison Ivy in the TV show.

The Action Man
Oct 26, 2004

This is a good movie.

Gaz-L posted:

I feel like Mae West would've been a bit old for Poison Ivy in the TV show.

It bums me out that Uma Thurman's impression of her was like nails on a chalk board. In theory, it's a great gag, but on the screen, it's painful.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Mr. Maltose posted:

loving lol no. It's Adam West Batman with a gay subtext and a late 90s sheen. It's an interesting and hilarious trainwreck, but even the gay subtext is simply "there" and there's not really any meat to chew on.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Skwirl posted:

Up until the Marvel films no comic book movies really existed in a shared universe. Nolan's Batman films made over a billion dollars and have no connection to anything else.

Avengers made that much by itself and it did have it.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
OK, if we're talking about this, let's try and drag it back on topic and ask what the gently caress was with the Batgirl suit with the built-in thong supposedly designed by Uncle Alfred Headroom?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Wasn't it sort of like, a separate-entity AI Alfred? Maybe it had like become self-aware over the years and just gotten really lonely.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Senor Candle posted:

Avengers made that much by itself and it did have it.

Actually no, I was underselling Nolan's Batmans (Batmen?). The Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Rises both made over a billion, less than Avengers 1.5 billion, but not by much, And for Dark Knight, once you factor in ticket price inflation including the fact that it pre-dated the post-Avatar 3d craze, it probably significantly out performed Avengers. (Dark Knight Rises also wasn't available in 3d because Chris Nolan is an auteur who thinks 3d is a gimmick).

The idea of success and failure has become completely hosed in terms of Hollywood blockbusters. Amazing Spider-Man 2 made 700 million dollars and is considered such a failure that Sony walked back to Disney with their tale between their legs asking for Spider-Man to be in Marvel movies.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

That's because every movie has like a billion CGI guys and a trillion other random people working on it now, making them cost way way way more than they used to. Compare the credits scroll of Avengers with the credits scroll of Psycho or Halloween sometime.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lurdiak posted:

That's because every movie has like a billion CGI guys and a trillion other random people working on it now, making them cost way way way more than they used to. Compare the credits scroll of Avengers with the credits scroll of Psycho or Halloween sometime.

Yeah, but if you can't make a success out of 700 million dollars, you hosed up somewhere. Star Trek Into Darkness came after and made less than 500 million and was considered a success. Thor 2 also made less than 700 million and Hemsworth isn't being recast anytime soon.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

It wasn't considered a success because despite making 700 million dollars it wasn't well received and they'd already announced their plan to make it into a full franchise with multiple spin-offs. As a franchise starter it was balls, so really it's not a surprise they went to the company who gave them the inspiration and originated the IP to make a deal wherein not only do they get help making that plan actually work but they get to suck on the teat of Marvel's existing success with cameos.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Bingo. Sorry Swkirl but you really don't seem to understand that ASM2 was a failure for reasons other than its immediate box office intake. What should I expect from someone still jerking off Nolan's Batman in TYOOL 2015 though?

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, but if you can't make a success out of 700 million dollars, you hosed up somewhere. Star Trek Into Darkness came after and made less than 500 million and was considered a success. Thor 2 also made less than 700 million and Hemsworth isn't being recast anytime soon.

Expectations and planning. If Apple sells only 20 million iPhone 6S it would be a colossal failure. If Samsung sells 20 million Galaxy S 6 it will satisfy them, because they took a severe beating last year. If it was still 2013 they would probably be devastated. If HTC sells 20 Million M9 they would be dancing on the streets. Same with movies. You can make a healthy profit but it still can be a big failure in the long run.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Decius posted:

Expectations and planning. If Apple sells only 20 million iPhone 6S it would be a colossal failure. If Samsung sells 20 million Galaxy S 6 it will satisfy them, because they took a severe beating last year. If it was still 2013 they would probably be devastated. If HTC sells 20 Million M9 they would be dancing on the streets. Same with movies. You can make a healthy profit but it still can be a big failure in the long run.

That's a terrible analogy because people who buy an iPhone this year will almost certainly not buy a Samsung or HTC phone this year (and vice versa), but there's a poo poo ton of overlap between people who watch Spider-Man, Batman and Avengers on opening night. Unless the movies open within a week or two of each other there's no market share to compete with.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

COOL COSTUME CHAT YA ALL

Check out this sexy Star-Lord by Dustin Weaver

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

All I see there is 'weird-alternate history Nazi'.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Convergence #2 variant cover gives another look at the new WW.

Other than the wrist blades, I'm into it.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Chasiubao posted:

All I see there is 'weird-alternate history Nazi'.

And hoodie-Gamora.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

fatherboxx posted:

COOL COSTUME CHAT YA ALL

Oh man, that doesn't work at all. They mashed his current look and his Annihilation look together and it just ended up looking like this:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Lurdiak posted:

Oh man, that doesn't work at all. They mashed his current look and his Annihilation look together and it just ended up looking like this:

This would make an excellent Star-Lord costume.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Travis343 posted:

Wasn't it sort of like, a separate-entity AI Alfred? Maybe it had like become self-aware over the years and just gotten really lonely.

That explains his audi-audio glitches.
itches.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Alhazred posted:

And hoodie-Gamora.

Gamora's original costume had a hood (and not much else).

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Discendo Vox posted:

This would make an excellent Star-Lord costume.

Get Chris Pratt in this ASAP

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

I think that Starlord costume could work with a different artist. I don't like that Drax at all though.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

fatherboxx posted:

COOL COSTUME CHAT YA ALL

Who is the blonde with the Prophet helmet.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It's Rocket Racoon.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
And here's one from the "do you want to get sued" school of costume design. I mean that, to me, is basically Spider-man or maybe a trimmed down Venom with the colours changed and made female

Only registered members can see post attachments!

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Teenage Fansub posted:

Convergence #2 variant cover gives another look at the new WW.

Other than the wrist blades, I'm into it.

The WW look needs to lose the wrist blades and push the thigh-high boots down to regular knee boots and it'd be fine. With the WW belt, patterned loincloth, and boots, her hip/waist area is super busy and overdesigned.

I'd lose that loving new 52 collar that we still can't escape from too if it were up to me.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Waterhaul posted:

Who is the blonde with the Prophet helmet.

Uh, Captain Marvel? I assume? It's totally generic.

And Drax really doesn't need to go back to his Space Hulk costume.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I love that Starlord costume, but then again, I greatly preferred his look from the Abnett/Lanning series to his more generic Bendis series/movie look. The jacket and jodhpurs give him much more of a cool retro/pulp/swashbuckler/American Flagg/Rocketeer style that works for him, but the current mask doesn't quite fit with it. It's almost too alien-looking, which is what I've always disliked about it.

I could see that costume working better with more of a '90s-style headdress with that, the kind of thing that wraps around the sides of his head but still shows his face and hair, perhaps with goggles or a retractable visor, but still allows artists to show him emoting without constantly taking it off. Think of Gambit, Booster Gold, or Animal Man.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Mar 18, 2015

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I am hoping that the wrist blades are sort and an optional thing that she pops out when she decides someone needs a good stabbing and are not an always-on feature. Because always-on wrist blades are really awkward even by comic standards.

They also seem to be really lazily designed. Most of the sketches it's like the artist has just tagged on a point triangle there as a concession to the design, instead of actually drawing some sort of interesting blade. I realize they are basically katars and katars are actually look like that, but there's no reason she can't have some fancy knives.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
The giant gently caress-all wrist blades are mind-boggling because Wondy has never been much of an overly-stabby lady. I'd like to know what led her to decide that Every Punch Is Fatal from here on out.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Has anyone said "Blunder Woman" yet?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

redbackground posted:

The giant gently caress-all wrist blades are mind-boggling because Wondy has never been much of an overly-stabby lady. I'd like to know what led her to decide that Every Punch Is Fatal from here on out.

Isn't she all crazy stabby in the New 52 or is that just the movies?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

net cafe scandal posted:

Has anyone said "Blunder Woman" yet?

Repeatedly and quietly to myself on the bus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Giant wrist swords seem weird and not in an interesting way to me. I don't mind robot Batman or wild rear end changes to designs but it will take a lot to convince me that those are a good addition.

• Locked thread