Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

evilmiera posted:

Mods really give this game endless possibilities. The only thing really missing, as people pointed out, are disasters not caused by flooding. Some new challenges to make the game very difficult once you hit a certain cap. Maybe in an expansion?

Yea, I'm only at like 25k pop but the game side of things is basically over. Making a pretty city is cool but I might as well just be playng wth unlimited money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

cthulhoo posted:

This is basically a grid, though. It's just there's a lot of it.

It still looks prettier than my cities, I try to make more like "flowing" and not use a grid. My main road basically goes in a circle(didn't do it from start, it just grew to be) and everything along it are high density residential and it has some off shoots that essentially form their own districts/suburbs of the "main city" that follows along the main road. It looks like order in chaos. doesn't look pretty at all in comparison.

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

Groogy posted:

It still looks prettier than my cities, I try to make more like "flowing" and not use a grid. My main road basically goes in a circle(didn't do it from start, it just grew to be) and everything along it are high density residential and it has some off shoots that essentially form their own districts/suburbs of the "main city" that follows along the main road. It looks like order in chaos. doesn't look pretty at all in comparison.

I usually get better results when I make an interconnected mesh of streets and mixed zone them based on RCI needs. It looks more natural and traffic in general works better. It helps when there's some terrain to work around too. I'm quite terrible at this game tho.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=409622671

SC3000 Microwave power plant!

Vetitum
Feb 29, 2008

I'm having some issues

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*
So I've got some ideas for stuff people might like:

-Proper high tech industrial buildings
-Skyscrapers (always could use more of thoughs)

And there's also some stuff I'd like to make, which I hope people would be interested in:

-Parks with minor historical/landmark type stuff
-larger landmarks and historical uniques that generate better tourism

Since parks are needed to raise land value and they make your city look nice without much fuss, I imagine parks with custom pieces would be pretty neat. Things like historical parks built around old lighthouses or something, that would be cool. Lots of towns have some stuff from the 18th century still kicking around, like Wat Phra Kaew in Bangkok (not to be confused with Wat Preah Keo in Phnom Penh, though the architectural styles are similar).

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

Noyemi K posted:

-Proper high tech industrial buildings

Voting for this.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Is anyone else bothered by the massive amount of curbside parking the Cims engage in? All those cars just sitting there!
It's the authentic Helsinki Experience™ for me.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

cthulhoo posted:

Voting for this.

One issue though, is that I can't edit stats for growables. Only construction time.

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

Noyemi K posted:

One issue though, is that I can't edit stats for growables. Only construction time.

If you make it a stage3 growable it would require a lot educated workers anyway so it'd be fine? Or am I missing something?

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.

Ulu posted:

The Hong Kong map is great :

Bridges over Victoria Harbour. What an abomination. At least there ought to be just 3 bridges, one of which is a permanent traffic nightmare.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
I've been working with a dude on getting my billboard textures in game, and they're now in the workshop for your pleasure as ploppables:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=409644461

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=409644557

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=409644660

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

cthulhoo posted:

If you make it a stage3 growable it would require a lot educated workers anyway so it'd be fine? Or am I missing something?

It would, but I'd also like to reduce the ground pollution on it. Oh well :shrug:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Aaaagh the worst part of mapmaking has to be waiting for all your water to settle.

My loving rivers are SLOSHING

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Mar 18, 2015

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....

Vetitum posted:

I'm having some issues

this made me laugh pretty hard what is the problem I thought is the magical mystery van out of lSD/

look t all them colors :eyepop:

why arent my vehicles that colro ful is that a mod?

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?
Still not using policies like I know I should. Any must clicks?

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

The Mantis posted:

Still not using policies like I know I should. Any must clicks?

High tech housing.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

DRUGS!

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

I hope the guy making the Zoneable Pedestrian Paths mod comes through with the version that allows Buses through soon. I just saw an idea someone posted of having special Bus & Emergency Only elevated routes made from on-ramps, and it'd be nice to do without having all the trouble of setting up specialized bus stops and depots off my normal traffic grid.

Now if only it sometimes caused a fiery column of death to roll across your city because the satellite misaligned, just like it did in Sim City 2000 :allears:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

gently caress I wish this game automatically moved around supports on elevated roads when something's going underneath them.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
So I learned Cargo trains not only export and import, but will also move Cargo around your city and spawn trucks as needed. So if you put a cargo train near your Commercial district and one near your Industrial, you send a ton of the goods needed on rails that way and get more HGV traffic off your main roads.

Also if you put a Cargo Train near the Docks you'll generate a truly ridiculous number of trucks just going between them and Cargo Trains and Docks always load from the right and output trucks to the left, so use a big one way ring-road for even better efficiency there.

Cargo Trains are the best.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

I think the game tries to get even support spacing whenever possible because it looks better or something.

Anyway, I completed the mesh for another "historical landmark" type ploppable unique:

And I figured out an easier way to see which surface I'm painting on when I'm working with textures, but I don't think I'll be doing 'texes today. Just models.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

How do you create a Y intersection? Everytime I try the section turns red saying the space is already occupied.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type
Could people post some good custom maps to try out? I don't really like the flat default maps. Some folks are building their cities on really cool looking maps :)

and

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Welp I did a first pass of my map. The bad news is that I hosed UP and completely misjudged the scale. Thanks to not having any structures as landmarks to guide the size of things, I made every feature about 2-3x the size I intended them to feel like. That massive gulf between islands should have been a narrow span. The river is a giant raging chasm! The narrow winding paths up the mountains are huge! The shoreline that I wanted to be sort of eroded looking edges, MASSIVE CLIFFS. Bleagh

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

Trogdos! posted:

Could people post some good custom maps to try out? I don't really like the flat default maps. Some folks are building their cities on really cool looking maps :)

and

I'm using this wonderful map of Hong Kong with the zone unlocker
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=406270234

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

FYI, the Hide UI mod is redundant. Just click the little camera button at the lower right, and that'll hide the UI.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Ulu posted:

The Hong Kong map is great :

You have hurt the feeling of the Chinese people.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Someone mentioned there was a way to filter the little popups you get throughout the city? How?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

A new item for a wishlist: a 'smooth roads' button that let you highlight a segment of jagged road and it... relaxes it into a smoother road.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Another wishlist item. Road/Railway rulers that allow you to easily make straight or curved segments of any kind of road/railway that are parallel to another road/railway of any kind.

(I'm kinda OCD in the map maker about my highways maintaining exact spacing between each other and the railway that usually accompanies them)

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Slashrat posted:

Another wishlist item. Road/Railway rulers that allow you to easily make straight or curved segments of any kind of road/railway that are parallel to another road/railway of any kind.

(I'm kinda OCD in the map maker about my highways maintaining exact spacing between each other and the railway that usually accompanies them)

Someone on reddit suggested that there be an angle measurement when you make an intersection--I think that would be awesome and help you out a lot.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009

HardDisk posted:

Also, I'm starting another list with goon cities, if you think your city is cool or whatever feel free to post (or repost)

Obligatory repost: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=409277795

Also, Skylines is still top seller :psyduck:.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Its been the top seller all week, despite CS:GO being at 50% off this weekend. I would love to see the sales figures for the game, as bet its not trailing off, if anything I wouldn't be shocked if they are increasing as more and more each day as people become aware of the game.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Jesus Christ the modding

Roy
Sep 24, 2007

ukle posted:

Its been the top seller all week, despite CS:GO being at 50% off this weekend. I would love to see the sales figures for the game, as bet its not trailing off, if anything I wouldn't be shocked if they are increasing as more and more each day as people become aware of the game.

Something like 500k at the moment.

Don't see why it shouldn't keep climbing, it has already sold 1/4 of Sim City 2013's total sales, despite having a much smaller dev team and practically no advertising budget.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

ZenVulgarity posted:

Jesus Christ the modding

Gonna put tits on that skyscraper.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

SynthOrange posted:

Gonna put tits on that skyscraper.

I can't wait

When can you open up titty bars

I want to recreate Tampa

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Roy posted:

Something like 500k at the moment.

Was past 500k by Sunday (announcement was Monday, so bound to be on prior days total). Who knows where its past now, my point is that normally game sales slow down after release, but with this one I guess it will be doing the opposite and increasing as the buzz around the game just keeps increasing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

I'm not buying this game until someone ports over Realistic Horse Genitalia. I require full immersion.