Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

The best part of this episode for me was the super villain team tightly squeezed into a booth at the local Dennys and no one paid them any attention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Cocks Cable posted:

The best part of this episode for me was the super villain team tightly squeezed into a booth at the local Dennys and no one paid them any attention.

They are by no means the weirdest group I've seen at a Denny's

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Maxwell Lord posted:

Maclachlan is a treasure.

He is singlehandedly making the Mary Sue Poots Chronicles watchable

Azhais posted:

They are by no means the weirdest group I've seen at a Denny's

haha

Soothing Vapors fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Mar 18, 2015

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Angar got nothing on me when I see a stack of flappies I want to down in a hurry.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Them sitting and planning at Denny's is the moment I realized I wanted a spinoff with them.

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!
How did some crazy chick who "surgically" grafted scalpels to her fingers make it on the index? Shield brought people back from the dead with alien DNA but couldn't find a dremel and some prosthetics? Lame as hell.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
If you think the x-acto lady was bad wait until you find out what they're holding back. SHIELD just went through old episodes of ripley's believe it or not and tagged all of those people. Next episode they're going to fight a lady who can squirt milk out of her eye and someone who can chew lightbulbs and bits of tin.

Bunnita
Jun 12, 2002

Was it everything you thought it would be?

Kheldarn posted:

"I am so loving confused... Ah well. Goons will know!"

Goons don't know... :negative:

I was thinking the exact same thing, the comic book experts will know wtf is going on!

How do they think Coleson got the toolbox? I'm assuming they don't know that Fury is alive, though for a moment I thought we were going to get a big name cameo like Black Widow.

I'm glad they're not dragging out the Mac and Bobbi thing, it was almost getting annoying. Though comic book experts, what is the significance of Sky's casts?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Crunkjuice posted:

How did some crazy chick who "surgically" grafted scalpels to her fingers make it on the index? Shield brought people back from the dead with alien DNA but couldn't find a dremel and some prosthetics? Lame as hell.

SHIELD-think is "Well, now we have access to a crazy woman with knife-fingers. So if we ever NEED a crazy woman with knife-fingers, we have one. Why deny ourselves that?"

SHIELD is an agency of hoarders.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Jamesman posted:

SHIELD-think is "Well, now we have access to a crazy woman with knife-fingers. So if we ever NEED a crazy woman with knife-fingers, we have one. Why deny ourselves that?"

SHIELD is an agency of hoarders.

Fury told everyone they shot her into the sun.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
The real SHIELD was of course set up by Peggy Carter covertly following her discovery of the Hydra infiltration of the organization during it's creation in the second season finale of Agent Carter.

Bunnita
Jun 12, 2002

Was it everything you thought it would be?

J33uk posted:

The real SHIELD was of course set up by Peggy Carter covertly following her discovery of the Hydra infiltration of the organization during it's creation in the second season finale of Agent Carter.

That would actually be kind of awesome

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
This is a really good lead-in to Civil War. If they make Skyedad say these things as a villain, they don't make the plot go into full swing, and they can save the actual, legitimate discussion of it for later, but they get a chance to start commenting on all the issues, all the same.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I wonder how many episodes it will be before Mack learns that if Hunter walks up and says "Coulson just offered me a job. So what's this secret you're hiding?" it's not a good idea to drag him to your base and reveal everything.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Well, at least the exact meaning of the two SHIELD birds in the cover art for this episode is now clear.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Haha, super-secret Shield #2 is a pretty great reveal. It'd be pretty funny if they have way more resources than Coulson. Extra bonus points if Fury is running it, which would be such a Fury move I can't believe I never even thought of it. Hand the reigns to Coulson to be the public face of the new Shield, then go extra super double black ops on the Shield that you're running, so no one can go over your head and launch nukes at cities and what have you.

Pikehead
Dec 3, 2006

Looking for WMDs, PM if you have A+ grade stuff
Fun Shoe
How is bolting razor blades to your fingers getting you on the gifted list?

Also, Coulson living is not exactly a secret.

May: Hey, things have changed, plus Coulson's the director now

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
The second SHEILD feels like an attempt to do the one storyline that got them praise again way, way too soon. Two seasons from now it could work but now it feels like they have just one idea what to do with the spy part of the show.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
I don't think this is going to be another "enemy within" situation , where they discover that the organization they put their trust in was rotten to the core.

Rather, this will be about differing visions for what SHIELD should be doing, and how it should accomplish it. Like May said, "SHIELD is different now", but we have yet to see exactly how it is different and why it matters. I suspect we're about to.

Also, props to Simmons for suggesting that putting people who bolt knives to their fingers on the same list as people who can cause earthquakes with their mind is stupid. So we now get a list of people who will be called "Enhanced". Bets on the rest ending up being called "Inhuman"? :d:

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

The "real" shield is where all the money and resources went after hydra was dealt with.

Do you really think that such a massive org with dozens of known and secret sites could just go poof?

It didn't. Coulson was left with remnants.

The higher ups, the level 8, 9s, whatever are still around and they control most of the resources.

They were cut out by Hydra and then again by Fury. Fury needed the true boy scout to run things, to fix things.

The 'real' shield is everything that was wrong before. But they still have power, and one thing they are certain of is Coulson should not be director.

That's why Mack tried to drive a wedge in the team earlier with his argument: he certainly doesn't think Coulson should be running it... The old guard should.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Kheldarn posted:

Also Also: "May's ex says knows someone that can consult for Shield. He worked worked in the psych department at Culver University. Doc Sampson works in the psych department at Culver University.", which we already covered in the thread, but then: "Isn't Culver University also the place where the Hulk kicked Blonsky into a tree?". Yes. Yes it was.

Unless they recast the role the MCU Samson is probably a bit busy with his own show.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Crunkjuice posted:

I was wondering that too.

I thought they were going to say she just grew razor fingernails naturally, and that was her thing. Like a super lovely Wolverine claw. Hence the need for gloves instead of just cutting the loving things off.

She wouldn't even cut it on one of those terrible superhero reality shows. If she didn't cut some dude's throat I'd half think we were supposed to feel sorry for her. As it is she's the winner of one of those "what would be the shittiest superpower?" questions. Maybe Cal should recruit Light Man next, a guy with flashlights fused onto his skin. He can illuminate any room a flashlight could!

ED: I also find it hilarious one of the best fighters on the show couldn't just bring her down in 3 seconds.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Is it just me, or has it been too long since we've seen a Koenig? :( Maybe with the return of Ward we'll see one soon.

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!

J33uk posted:

Peggy Carter confirmed for Hari Seldon.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Xtanstic posted:

Oh man that preview. Edward James Olmos!

If you guys are going to keep calling Agent Coop Muad'Dad, then please call Olmos Ghost'Dad. Because that is also from something not very good that most of TVIV seems to have seen.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Fury actually went to five different people and told them they would be the new leader of Shield. He gave each of them a toolbox, which wont work until you combine all of them. This way he could assure that the fractions which would form the new Shield work together.
I can totally see him do something absurd like that.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

One thing I liked about the episode was how the various villain origins worked to make it just a little more comic book-y. Where people can get powers from super steroids or gamma irradiation of tumors.

Sir Spaniard
Nov 9, 2009

I'm thinking that the 'new' second SHIELD is going to tie into Age Of Ultron. Here's why - Maria Hill. She's taken the job with Stark as of the end of Cap 2, and Ultron has to come from somewhere - It's supposed to have been an old, failed/obsolete peacekeeping tech that Stark revives/rejigs, right? Where would that tech/info come from? Fury's hidden toolbox. Hill knows that it's with Coulson. Or, even if she didn't know at the end of WS, she'd still have contacts within Old Shield and be able to use those to Stark's advantage with Fury 'Dead' (does she know he's still alive? I can't recall).

But, whatever she knows/suspects/etc, I'm guessing that that's what's going to be the result of 'New' Shield and how the beginnings of Ultron come about - and it would lead into a fitting RDJ appearance and reveal for the movies that Coulson is still alive (and also, if RDJ does appear, hype the show right before the movie for a ratings boost for a strong lead in episode).

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Blazing Ownager posted:

Maybe Cal should recruit Light Man next, a guy with flashlights fused onto his skin. He can illuminate any room a flashlight could!

Marvel doesn't have the rights to the Deadly Bulb, unfortunately

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I think the villains being really lovely was half of Cal's point. He wanted to show what shield did to even the biggest loser of the gene pool that posed minimal threat to show himself as persecuted. Then he also picked up Angar to make sure he could actually win.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
I thought it was hilarious when Reader (is that his name or is it something we made up? Skyemom called him Gordon I think) was all "You think you're gifted? Heh, okay." to Cal. The CGI for his power is really amazing for a TV show budget too!

I want to know what happened to Raina but the promo looks like it'll be all "Real" SHIELD vs Coulson SHIELD in the next episode. Still, eagerly awaiting Coulsons inevitable ace in the hole. Would be out of character for him to not know what's happening under his nose and have a plan for it.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I'm way more impressed by Cal enhancing himself than Reader inheriting it by genetic accident, so gently caress him. Cal is cool, people that don't like Cal aren't cool.

Also the "You're just a science experiment" thing was funny given that so are the Inhumans.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

muscles like this? posted:

One thing I liked about the episode was how the various villain origins worked to make it just a little more comic book-y. Where people can get powers from super steroids or gamma irradiation of tumors.

And the Inhumans look down upon poor science experience Cal.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Martout posted:

I thought it was hilarious when Reader (is that his name or is it something we made up? Skyemom called him Gordon I think) was all "You think you're gifted? Heh, okay." to Cal. The CGI for his power is really amazing for a TV show budget too!

I want to know what happened to Raina but the promo looks like it'll be all "Real" SHIELD vs Coulson SHIELD in the next episode. Still, eagerly awaiting Coulsons inevitable ace in the hole. Would be out of character for him to not know what's happening under his nose and have a plan for it.

It all makes sense now. Knife finger lady was there to make sure they had the budget for blind Nightcrawler :aaaaa:

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!

greatn posted:

I think the villains being really lovely was half of Cal's point. He wanted to show what shield did to even the biggest loser of the gene pool that posed minimal threat to show himself as persecuted. Then he also picked up Angar to make sure he could actually win.

Maybe it's a great way to show the world just how lovely SHIELD is.

"Look guys, this poor woman with mental problems that had scalpels grafted to her fingertips...SHIELD could have just, you know, cut the things off...but no, they encase her digits in some kind of hand torture device and keep her around in case they ever decide that they need her for some kind of sick, twisted purpose. This poor lady isn't the villain here, SHIELD is."

Apoplexy posted:

And the Inhumans look down upon poor science experience Cal.

Which is great fun, because the Inhumans are science experiments too, even if they don't see themselves that way.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

It all makes sense now. Knife finger lady was there to make sure they had the budget for blind Nightcrawler :aaaaa:

Her finger blades all being horizontal bugged me, ineffective design.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

imperialparadox posted:

Maybe it's a great way to show the world just how lovely SHIELD is.

"Look guys, this poor woman with mental problems that had scalpels grafted to her fingertips...SHIELD could have just, you know, cut the things off...but no, they encase her digits in some kind of hand torture device and keep her around in case they ever decide that they need her for some kind of sick, twisted purpose. This poor lady isn't the villain here, SHIELD is."

It doesn't even begin to make sense. It's not like those gloves would've prevented her from just, you know, picking up a knife and being twice as effective as she would be with her fingernails.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I don't know, she seemed to have a lot of trouble cutting that steak.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Bunnita posted:

I'm glad they're not dragging out the Mac and Bobbi thing, it was almost getting annoying. Though comic book experts, what is the significance of Sky's casts?

Daisy/Quake/Skye wears something similar in the comics as part of her costume. Fitz is probably gonna enhance them and they'll be a way for her to direct and harness her powers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

greatn posted:

I think the villains being really lovely was half of Cal's point.

Are you suggesting that Cal works in the production department of this show? That's pretty meta.

• Locked thread