Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Where's my Top Gear Canada?

One season would use up the CBC's budget for the next ten years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsuru
May 12, 2008

Mister Kingdom posted:

Can you speak and/or understand French? Do you like Top Gear?

Well, then...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtShNfEz5_Y
That poor Rancho :(

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

Delsaber posted:

Today on Canadian Top Gear: We build a mid engine car!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLBDqchND0s

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Cojawfee posted:

Hey how about that US Top Gear. Right guys?

Jeremy should go host TGUS, problem solved.

edit

mrking posted:

Yeah for real, just bring back Red/Green.

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Mar 17, 2015

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

S1E01: Bricklin

S1E02: not aired due to the show going into receivership

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
S01e03: Nova Scotia-made Volvo special. (10 minutes)

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Top Gear has been cleared today...

...of using an 'offensive' term in Feb

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-31922773

quote:

The BBC Trust has overturned a complaint about the use of term "pikey" in an episode of Top Gear.

Broadcast last February, the show saw the team racing 1980s hatchback cars against their modern equivalents.

Presenter Jeremy Clarkson mocked Richard Hammond for choosing a Vauxhall Nova, and erected a placard at the start line that read "Pikey's Peak". Travellers' groups complained the term was racist, but the BBC said that, in this instance, it merely meant "cheap".

The BBC's committee acknowledged that "pikey" derived from the word "turnpike" and was therefore related to travellers. However, it added, the term had "evolved into common parlance among a number of people to mean "chavvy" or "cheap". "Depending on the context, viewers would not necessarily associate it with the Gypsy and traveller communities."

The committee noted that the placard was a deliberate pun on the US race course Pike's Peak, which had been referenced earlier in the show's script.

"On this occasion, the use of the word 'pikey' as a play on words would not have been seen as a careless or purposeless stereotype about travellers and Gypsies, but in keeping with the style of humour exhibited by the presenters towards Richard Hammond's perceived 'cheap' style," it said in its ruling.

As a result of the complaint, the BBC Trust has advised programme-makers to use the word only with "extreme care and sensitivity".

EDIT: for the septics reading this and wondering what 'pikey' means:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/7446274.stm

quote:

When used now in urban circles, it usually means a person is beyond the class system, someone without an identity who doesn't matter, and is off the social radar, Thorne suggests. Only in the villages is it likely to have retained its ethnic association with the traveller or gypsy community.

spog fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Mar 17, 2015

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

'Ya like dags?'

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Delsaber posted:

Keep watching Canada's Worst Driver and shout "POWEEEEEERRR" every time the contestants total a car driving through foam or empty cardboard boxes.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Ika posted:

What are they going to say now that france is no longer the one country in the world that doesn't get top gear.

apart from the uk

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Welcome to Top Gear: Wales, with your hosts, Jeremy Cwyncorwyg, James Maestegnwyd, and Richard Haberystwyth-Machynlleth.

And also the Stywyg.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Delsaber posted:

Just as well. Now that Rogers has all the rights to show hockey, it's not like they're doing gently caress all else of any use.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Yup. The etymology relates to the concept of being itinerant, and so is commonly used as a term for "travellers", but it has nothing to do with the Romani. You can call anyone you like a pikey all day long and it doesn't magically become a racist term, and nor does any number of people thinking it's one make it so. At worst you can say it's classist.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Do you know something i don't?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Mooseykins posted:

Do you know something i don't?

It's Hayley Williams.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

holocaust bloopers posted:

It's Hayley Williams.

Oh right. The Paramore girl?

Yeah, she hot.

case
Mar 27, 2005

captainOrbital posted:

Welcome to Top Gear: Wales, with your hosts, Jeremy Cwyncorwyg, James Maestegnwyd, and Richard Haberystwyth-Machynlleth.

And also the Stywyg.

Top Gear does mid-Wales, A487 and A470 in something quick would make for an excellent episode.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

mrking posted:

please don't mock scrapheap challenge, the best programme ever to have been made ever

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9fOmTTfJUM)

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

IceAgeComing posted:

please don't mock scrapheap challenge, the best programme ever to have been made ever

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9fOmTTfJUM)

Scrapheap Challenge was loving awesome.

What people made out of poo poo, and what they did with it, was fantastic. Never has so much been done, by so few, with little, for no real point at all.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I still love that show.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I know the scrapheap they used was obviously seeded with lots of usable parts for each episode, but doing anything else would just have made for boring TV. And the stuff they managed to bodge up from random parts was always amazing.

And of course, everyone should love The Barley Pickers. Proper job! :haw:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kv1VLtvz7T8

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
I'd love to see the Top Gear guys in a scrapheap challenge episode. I can just see James completely flipping out because Jeremy won't listen to his perfectly engineered plans and instead just hacks poo poo to pieces.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

spog posted:

Top Gear has been cleared today...

...of using an 'offensive' term in Feb

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-31922773
Especially if, like me, you're a bit of a...

(Which, predictably... )

nmfree fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Mar 18, 2015

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Haven't they used "pikey" before and in a more obvious manner? I distinctly remember James May referring to the hammer as the "took of a pikey" when jeremy looked way too enthusiastic about it.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

mobby_6kl posted:

Haven't they used "pikey" before and in a more obvious manner? I distinctly remember James May referring to the hammer as the "took of a pikey" when jeremy looked way too enthusiastic about it.
Good catch, I forgot about that one.

Start at 3:55: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWGf0Dy-FE4

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

KozmoNaut posted:

I know the scrapheap they used was obviously seeded with lots of usable parts for each episode, but doing anything else would just have made for boring TV. And the stuff they managed to bodge up from random parts was always amazing.

The Barley pickers were great but Bowser will always have my heart

Also the host of that show looked like he loved his job so much

8ender fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Mar 18, 2015

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Isn't romani far more racist than pikey? As it lumps all travellers together with one European ethnic group?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

8ender posted:

The Barley pickers were great but Bowser will always have my heart

Also the host of that show looked like he loved his job so much

Oh yeah, Bowser was always a hit, and so was Colonel Dick, who went on to replace Robert Llewellyn as the main host of the show.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Cakefool posted:

Isn't romani far more racist than pikey? As it lumps all travellers together with one European ethnic group?

Yes, but it's not offensive as it is never used as a perjorative - mainly because of outside the Guardian, no-one had ever heard of the word.

Mooseykins posted:

Scrapheap Challenge was loving awesome.

What people made out of poo poo, and what they did with it, was fantastic. Never has so much been done, by so few, with little, for no real point at all.

The first host, Cathy Rogers (who created SC) was gloriously enthusiastic.

There was also such chemistry between her and Robert that in the the official SC book, he basically wrote 'we are not screwing each other, stop asking' in the introduction.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
I can't imagine what it was like to be the insurance risk assessor for that show, maybe equal parts wonderful and terrifying.

Every time they got to the competition section at the end the machines had what was obviously hours of installing cages, harnesses and other misc safety gear.

It was glorious.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Cakefool posted:

I always thought Pikeys were specifically Irish travellers, but that's petty much based on Guy Ritchie movies as I'd never really heard the term before then. Romani or Romany more specifically refers to eastern European gypsys

We call them Tinkers and Knackers here in Ireland, the terms are seen as pejorative now despite originally referring to a time when travellers did pot mending and post mortem horse processing, instead of just badly tarmacking driveways and stealing anything with scrap metal value.

Top Gear missed out on a great Pikey challenge idea though, Police Car vs Transit Van vs Sulky

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xH3DHhuGBBU

Scherloch
Oct 28, 2010

Yeah!
London cabs driven by foreigners smell of sick, says Clarkson (according to the Guardian).

Clarkson posted:

You have a chap who has just arrived from a country you’ve never heard of, whose car smells faintly of lavender oil and sick, who doesn’t know where he’s going and can’t get there anyway because he never puts more than £2 worth of fuel in the tank of his car.

This is some tabloid level reporting. I always thought the Guardian was a serious, somewhat left-leaning paper, not a some clickbait shithouse. I mean, I know they hate Clarkson, but now they're just being willfully (I hope) dense in order to be offended. It's on the same level as the people who get all, "You calling me an idiot?" when you tell them that something they said or did was idiotic.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Scherloch posted:

London cabs driven by foreigners smell of sick, says Clarkson (according to the Guardian).

This is some tabloid level reporting. I always thought the Guardian was a serious, somewhat left-leaning paper, not a some clickbait shithouse. I mean, I know they hate Clarkson, but now they're just being willfully (I hope) dense in order to be offended. It's on the same level as the people who get all, "You calling me an idiot?" when you tell them that something they said or did was idiotic.

It looks like a HuffPo/Gawker copy for rich white people, full of garbage articles to reinforce their beliefs and give them something to tut tut. Maybe they were a decent paper at one point, but then clicks drop so they turn to yellow journalism to get people to look at ads. It's a race on all sides to the bottom as far as internet "journalism" goes.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

KozmoNaut posted:

There was one where they were making boats or something, and needed loads of polythene sheeting. Guy opens the boot of a scrap car and WOW! An entire brand new roll of polythene sheeting! What a bit of luck to find that in a scrapyard! :v:

KozmoNaut posted:

They were great. My favourite was when there were a few teams competing, and they had an old ERF truck or something, and turned the engine governor up a bit and the fucker ran away.

oo-arr, proper job.

spog posted:

The first host, Cathy Rogers (who created SC) was gloriously enthusiastic.

There was also such chemistry between her and Robert that in the the official SC book, he basically wrote 'we are not screwing each other, stop asking' in the introduction.

She was awesome. Kinda disappointed they weren't gettin' it on. :colbert:

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
"Jeremy Clarkson gets into a cab and you won't believe what happens next!"

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Scherloch posted:

Yeah, if you look at the quote, it says that London cabs are often driven by foreigners (true in almost every city I've ever seen, it's not a great job so it's often done by immigrants), and cabs often smell of sick (which they do because drunks throw up in them and they don't get cleaned properly).

I mean, if you're disagreeing with Clarkson's criticisms about taxis (and they all apply in other cities too, in my experience) you're just willfully ignoring reality.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

echomadman posted:

I always thought Pikeys were specifically Irish travellers
In general it's used as such, but more because most travellers in the UK are of that ilk, rather than it being a hard rule. Of the various terms in play, it is interesting to note that "gypsy" is the only one that could actually be construed as racist, as it is rooted in the mistaken concept of Romani being of Egyptian descent, thus being a term for what people are (or look like) rather than what they do.

Scherloch posted:

This is some tabloid level reporting. I always thought the Guardian was a serious, somewhat left-leaning paper, not a some clickbait shithouse

Ariza posted:

It looks like a HuffPo/Gawker copy for rich white people, full of garbage articles to reinforce their beliefs and give them something to tut tut.
Rich white people read The Telegraph. The Guardian's target audience is middle-middle class people who consider themselves educated and liberal, preferably with that exquisite schoolteacher mummy-knows-best attitude.

Edit: As for "Clarkson also criticised the north": He is from the north you moronic fuckstick. Same town as I am, actually.

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Mar 18, 2015

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

InitialDave posted:

In general it's used as such, but more because most travellers in the UK are of that ilk, rather than it being a hard rule. Of the various terms in play, it is interesting to note that "gypsy" is the only one that could actually be construed as racist, as it is rooted in the mistaken concept of Romani being of Egyptian descent, thus being a term for what people are (or look like) rather than what they do.

Not sure how anyone managed to get a statement from the pikeys about them being offended, they're pretty hard to understand.

Not helped by them blasting you with a load of verbal poo poo, split up with "d'yknow what i mean?" at least once a sentence.

InitialDave posted:

Edit: As for "Clarkson also criticised the north": He is from the north you moronic fuckstick. Same town as I am, actually.

Eh up, Doncaaasteh?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Mooseykins posted:

Eh up, Doncaaasteh?
Aye.

gently caress Rotherham.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

Mooseykins posted:

There was one where they were making boats or something, and needed loads of polythene sheeting. Guy opens the boot of a scrap car and WOW! An entire brand new roll of polythene sheeting! What a bit of luck to find that in a scrapyard! :v:

There's that one that they jointly did with the US version where they had to build a plane in 20 hours using technology available from the time of the original Wright flyer where conveniently they found three nice new propellers in the scrapyard

It also happens to be probably the most impressive episode of the thing ever; because the design that everyone was making GBS threads on through the entire thing actually worked very well and was a proper plane while the other two flew a few feet at most.