Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

mooyashi posted:

few things in my head can i hear as clearly by memory alone as Howard Dean's scream

its a pretty funny scream and the little build-up to it where he names every state in the union just makes it that much better.

I'm not sure why everyone wants to pretend like it was bad soundwork or something, he did a funny thing and people noticed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Shakenbaker posted:

I'm assuming this is due to the Cuban sandwich competition.

Honestly surprised by that, but that's what I get for not actually looking at it. Thanks for the correction.

I figured that was the case since they're both larger metro areas.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

comes along bort posted:

I figured that was the case since they're both larger metro areas.

Obummer still won't let us fly to Havana, so your only choices are Tampa or Miami for authentic Cuban sandwiches. Florida's Tourism board knows there's more here than just the mouse and some beaches, man.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
I'm from Sarasota, and the best Cuban I've ever had was in San Rafael north of SF bay. v:v:v

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Looking at Florida's Congressional district map, I can see why it is hard to have a D bench in Florida. Just a quick look at the map and it appears Orlando is divided up between three or four Congressional districts. Then you have what appears to be a major packing attempt at District 5 which probably dilutes Democratic votes in the neighboring districts. In fact, each neighboring Congressional district is represented by a Republican but the southern neighbors of the 11th, 7th, and 10th aren't as Republican dominated as the other neighboring districts. And for the individual Congressional reps who do manage to win one of those packing district seats, why would they want to give up their Congressional seniority, their Washington connections, and all that jazz to run and lose for state wide office.

I'm guessing Florida's state legislative districts are similarly drawn.

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!

forbidden lesbian posted:

its a pretty funny scream and the little build-up to it where he names every state in the union just makes it that much better.

I'm not sure why everyone wants to pretend like it was bad soundwork or something, he did a funny thing and people noticed

No, he did a funny thing that was augmented by the soundwork and it was spun into a huge flip-out on stage, which it was not. It doesn't really matter, because I don't think Dean was going to win the primary anyway, but it was a pretty good case of dumb media being dumb.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
It was the same failing most Democratic presidential candidates have (Obama got around it by being appearing passionate all the time) which is that they don't act passionately until they are losing. Gore, Kerry, and Dean were prime examples. Gore's kiss was genuinely terrible, Kerry was Lurch/Frankenstein, and Dean screamed. It's not the media's fault that lots of Democratic candidates do a bad job connecting emotionally with the voters. Hillary crying during the primary was part of the kiss of death for her campaign.

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!

Peztopiary posted:

It was the same failing most Democratic presidential candidates have (Obama got around it by being appearing passionate all the time) which is that they don't act passionately until they are losing. Gore, Kerry, and Dean were prime examples. Gore's kiss was genuinely terrible, Kerry was Lurch/Frankenstein, and Dean screamed. It's not the media's fault that lots of Democratic candidates do a bad job connecting emotionally with the voters. Hillary crying during the primary was part of the kiss of death for her campaign.

Dean actually seemed pretty passionate the whole time and was frequently described as angry in the media. That's one of the reasons the "scream" was so easily spun into a flip-out. Al Sharpton even criticized him for it in one of the debates, long before Iowa.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

forbidden lesbian posted:

He was only yelling because the crowd noise was so loud. Nobody there in person perceived it as a gaffe because he was responding to the energy of the crowd. The gaffe only exists because of the audio engineering decisions of the TV network that made him sound like a crazy person yelling at clouds.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Peztopiary posted:

That crying might well have saved it actually, wasn't she was projected to lose NH pretty much right until the primary happened and she didn't.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Peztopiary posted:

If Hillary's campaign had a "kiss of death" before the New Hampshire primary, Obama sure wasted a lot of resources on the several remaining caucus and primary states.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Crist in an interview today ruled out running in 2016.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news...campaign=buffer

SNAKES N CAKES
Sep 6, 2005

DAVID GAIDER
Lead Writer

FlamingLiberal posted:

Crist in an interview today ruled out running in 2016.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news...campaign=buffer

He could still be drafted as veep.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Oh god no

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Liberman/Crist 2016; the Sensible Ticket for Democratic President.

Franco Potente
Jul 9, 2010
Wrap it up, Schultzailures: per Emily Cahn on Twitter, DWS is not running for the senate.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Rubio vs. TBD 2016!

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Rubio vs. TBD 2016!

It's going to be a Patrick Murphy vs. Grayson primary. Senate leadership is pushing for Murphy and Grayson just does whatever because he's mentally ill.

edit: and rubio almost certainly is not running for re-election

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

I can't wait for scott brown to run for the Democratic senate nomination in florida

Franco Potente
Jul 9, 2010
I was hearing some talk of Gwen Graham running: daughter of a former Senator, managed to oust a Tea Partier in the bloodbath that was 2014. Does she have any chance, or is she too new to the national scene?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Concerned Citizen posted:

It's going to be a Patrick Murphy vs. Grayson primary. Senate leadership is pushing for Murphy and Grayson just does whatever because he's mentally ill.

edit: and rubio almost certainly is not running for re-election

Did Rubio win the super secret presidential election and we don't know about it yet? There's very few scenarios where Rubio doesn't run for President and Senator. And almost all of them involve him not running for President.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Welp its happening. Goodbye goon approved Mayday PAC. http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2015-03-17/the-super-pac-to-end-super-pacs-makes-a-strategic-retreat

Also goodbye Representative Aaron Schock for lying about his spending and, apparently, claiming twice as much mileage on his government vehicle as was actually put on it. Fraudy McFraudster resigned today and good riddance to him. Seat is safe R so don't expect any upsets here.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

PupsOfWar posted:

I can't wait for scott brown to run for the Democratic senate nomination in florida
Why are you giving him ideas, he'll probably do it at this point

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Cliff Racer posted:

Also goodbye Representative Aaron Schock for lying about his spending and, apparently, claiming twice as much mileage on his government vehicle as was actually put on it. Fraudy McFraudster resigned today and good riddance to him. Seat is safe R so don't expect any upsets here.
Its kind of amazing that this was visited upon him mainly because he liked a show about stuffy wealthy folks coping with burgeoning change.

And so because his staffers freaked the gently caress out about said redecorating when a reporter came a knocking.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
I love the "How Could This Have Happened To Such A Rising Star?" articles. Well, he came up in an era where business has almost zero rules and, while he dabbled in local government previously, he then tried to play in a national political world that's corrupt to the gills, but demands you play by a few rules still. What happened next did not schock me.

ReindeerF has issued a correction as of 08:55 on Mar 18, 2015

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Aren't there people who specialize in this sort of compliance stuff for politicians? It seems like all of the stuff that did in Schock was almost insignificant as far as dollar amounts go, and if he just filed the right paperwork or structured things properly it wouldn't have been an issue.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Aren't there people who specialize in this sort of compliance stuff for politicians? It seems like all of the stuff that did in Schock was almost insignificant as far as dollar amounts go, and if he just filed the right paperwork or structured things properly it wouldn't have been an issue.
Short answer is that you have to want to follow the rules before you want to get someone who knows how.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Yeah, I think pangstrom is right. You get the impression he was The Aaron Schock Show from top to bottom and didn't realize that several hundred other politicians who hold a lot of clout in their own world might not appreciate that.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
"Well, I'm different. I came to Congress when I was 27. You know when I take a vacation I don't sit on the beach, I do active things. *waves arms* And so I'm not going to live in a cave, so when I post an Instagram photo of me and my friends, and it's you know...as Taylor Swift said, 'Haters are gonna hate.' " ~ Aaron Schock, February 5, 2015.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

If he had decent staff they would have stopped him from doing these dumb things.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Joementum posted:

"Well, I'm different. I came to Congress when I was 27. You know when I take a vacation I don't sit on the beach, I do active things. *waves arms* And so I'm not going to live in a cave, so when I post an Instagram photo of me and my friends, and it's you know...as Taylor Swift said, 'Haters are gonna hate.' " ~ Aaron Schock, February 5, 2015.

technically, she didn't say "are"

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

A man whiter than Taylor Swift.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Radish posted:

A man whiter than Taylor Swift.
That's most U.S. politicians.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Joementum posted:

He's like, "Oh my god, I'm just gonna shake it."

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Joementum posted:

Tell me you made that up, Joe. Maybe it's my post St. Paddy's brain, but I can't get that to process.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Spun Dog posted:

Tell me you made that up, Joe. Maybe it's my post St. Paddy's brain, but I can't get that to process.

This picture was posted in the US Pol thread.
A thousand words, etc...

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

They have a ton of staff who are supposed to compliance stuff, and the rules are not really very complicated. It's possible his staff didn't realize he was defrauding the government for tens of thousands of dollars by falsely claiming mileage reimbursement he was not owed, but for the rest part of it's definitely a mix of incompetence and desperately trying to clean up the mess he left behind wherever he went. That's probably why they wanted to hide the office decoration - they knew it broke the rules and they had yet to deal with it.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Gyges posted:

Did Rubio win the super secret presidential election and we don't know about it yet? There's very few scenarios where Rubio doesn't run for President and Senator. And almost all of them involve him not running for President.

He already said he's not going to run for president and Senate at the same time. There's a Republican primary brewing. Jeff Atwater, the state CFO, has his staff out there talking up a recent poll showing up running ahead of DWS and Patrick Murphy.

Concerned Citizen has issued a correction as of 18:52 on Mar 18, 2015

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Concerned Citizen posted:

They have a ton of staff who are supposed to compliance stuff, and the rules are not really very complicated. It's possible his staff didn't realize he was defrauding the government for tens of thousands of dollars by falsely claiming mileage reimbursement he was not owed, but for the rest part of it's definitely a mix of incompetence and desperately trying to clean up the mess he left behind wherever he went. That's probably why they wanted to hide the office decoration - they knew it broke the rules and they had yet to deal with it.

It wasn't just mileage, the guy was skimming like crazy. Flights, concerts, hotels, etc etc. He probably would have gotten away with it to, but that article about his office came out; people realized he was probably gay, and everything went to hell. Once people started digging, he was sunk. The thing to remember is, he probably could have gotten away with it if he didn't attract attention. Unfortunately for him, he was all about attracting attention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
There's a difference between hanging out in a safe seat like he was and running for state-wide office. This guy had ambitions and this all likely would have came out in an imploding senatorial or more likely gubernatorial campaign some time down the line.

• Locked thread