Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Nibbles! posted:

It would be an interesting Constitutional situation anyway. Abbott could lose a spill and run to the GG. He would still be the First Minister as far as the GG was concerned until a motion of no confidence in the lower house right?

The GG could just refuse to dissolve parliament though, which he'd be inclined to do if he thought Abbott was simply throwing a tantrum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Comedy option: single dissolution of the Lower House.

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

Nibbles! posted:

This is pretty lol, doubly so from someone holding the AG position. The Senate was never supposed to be a house of review hence it having so much power.

It would be an interesting Constitutional situation anyway. Abbott could lose a spill and run to the GG. He would still be the First Minister as far as the GG was concerned until a motion of no confidence in the lower house right?

Isn't the GG only compelled by convention to do what the PM says? He could just go "yeah, nah gently caress ya Tony".

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

cpaf posted:

The GG could just refuse to dissolve parliament though, which he'd be inclined to do if he thought Abbott was simply throwing a tantrum

thatfatkid posted:

Isn't the GG only compelled by convention to do what the PM says? He could just go "yeah, nah gently caress ya Tony".

It'd be pretty drat unlikely that a GG would not act on the advice of the standing Prime Minister. It's a nice idea, but it wouldn't happen.

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

Graic Gabtar posted:

Or that you've built such a cult around that ideology that a party membership would burn the whole place down if pragmatism was shown by elected members - believing they were in fact holding up that ideology.

There is a point where too much pragmatism is bad. Curtin was a strike breaker, after all, and that wasn't pragmatism so much as irrational fear of the yellow horde.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Aren't those DD triggers from before the current Senate? Or did they end up getting a trigger?

I think the DD consideration was just putting all the options on the table, and someone leaked it out. It's not ridiculous to acknowledge it's a theoretical option, it's just insane to think it's a good one.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
I think they have a couple of triggers already from last year. It's pretty common for a sitting government to have them

thatfatkid posted:

Yeah, but the conventions are very powerful aspects of our Constitution and it would be a huge thing if the GG ignored their First Minister.

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Aren't those DD triggers from before the current Senate? Or did they end up getting a trigger?

I think the DD consideration was just putting all the options on the table, and someone leaked it out. It's not ridiculous to acknowledge it's a theoretical option, it's just insane to think it's a good one.

I think I remember it was an election promise to pull the trigger if it presented itself.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

hooman posted:

hahahahahahaha seriously? holy loving poo poo.

So... out... of... touch.
The Australian voter's response:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGhP3p6lI3U

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please

TheMightyHandful posted:

I think I remember it was an election promise to pull the trigger if it presented itself.

That was the carbon tax repeal. Tony said he'd take it to a double dissolution.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Nibbles! posted:

Yeah, but the conventions are very powerful aspects of our Constitution and it would be a huge thing if the GG ignored their First Minister.

more like worst minister

:boom:

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

CrazyTolradi posted:

It'd be pretty drat unlikely that a GG would not act on the advice of the standing Prime Minister. It's a nice idea, but it wouldn't happen.

It's also pretty unlikely that a PM who had just lost a spill would go to the GG and request a DD. It's a remote fantasy scenario so it's impossible to say what the GG would do if it did happen.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Guy Sebastian's Eurovision submission is honestly not that terrible.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Krazyface posted:

Guy Sebastian's Eurovision submission is honestly not that terrible.

'Honestly not that terrible' is pretty standard for Guy Sebastian. Australia generally doesn't have the best taste in music, but there's not really anything all that objectionable about Guy, he's just kind of bland. He's a talent show winner, they inherently produce pretty mundane and easily-digestible music.To stick around after that you definitely need some talent, and Guy's got it, there's just not much substance behind it.

EDIT: Honestly I'm still disappointed that Guy was the one we picked, not because I don't like him, but because this is literally the only time I would have ever accepted AC/DC as a musical choice.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Mar 18, 2015

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

smh posted:

Christopher Pyne proposes fining unis for debt-dodging graduates

Universities churning out graduates who do not repay their student debts would face financial penalties under a proposal by Education Minister Christopher Pyne aimed at securing Senate support for fee deregulation.

Despite a 34-30 Senate defeat on Tuesday, Mr Pyne vowed to reintroduce legislation this year to allow universities to set their own fees.

"We will not give up on ensuring that Australia has the higher education system it needs - the best in the world," he said. "Great reform takes time."

Universities Australia chief executive Belinda Robinson warned that without increased revenues university vice-chancellors would consider increasing class sizes, shedding staff, closing campuses and discontinuing some courses.

In a letter to Liberal Democrat senator David Leyonhjelm, sent on Tuesday, Mr Pyne proposed reducing Commonwealth grants for universities if a proportion of their graduates do not repay their debts.

The government also plans to publish information for the first time showing how much debt the graduates of each university are not expected to repay.

Senator Leyonhjelm had threatened to vote against the government's reforms because of concerns that unpaid student debts would blow out in a deregulated system.

Repayment rates vary wildly between different disciplines, with half of all humanities graduates not expected to repay their debts compared to 5 per cent of those who studied law.

"I understand that you are concerned about the cost of unpaid HECS debt on the budget, and in particular the risk being borne of taxpayers of this cost," Mr Pyne said in his letter.

Mr Pyne proposes "a mechanism to make a proportion of each higher education provider's direct grant funding contingent on its performance against a key set of indicators" - including the debt not expected to be repaid (DNER) by their graduates.

"We are confident that the higher education sector will be responsive both to transparency of data in this area but also to a relatively modest amount of their annual grant funding being at risk in relation to their DNER performance," he said.

The government aims to have proposals ready for discussion by July. They would take into account repayment differences based on gender and rural and regional factors.

Graduates do not repay their debts if they are earning under $56,000, exit the workforce or move overseas.

The value of student debts not expected to be repaid is forecast to grow to $12 billion by 2017-18 - 23 per cent of all outstanding debt.

Former Coalition policy adviser Andrew Norton, now a higher education program director at the Grattan Institute, said: "This is a very complex solution to a problem that could be solved in a much simpler way."

It would be unfair to reduce subsidies for students because graduates who had studied 10 years before them had not repaid their debts, he said.

Small reductions in Commonwealth subsidies would probably have little impact on reducing unpaid debts while large reductions could see universities enrolling fewer disadvantaged students - especially in courses with poor repayment outcomes such as the humanities.

"The people most likely to pay back their debts are males with high ATARS," he said.

Mr Norton said it would be simpler and more effective to recoup the HECS debts of graduates who die or who move overseas.

He's not very good at this, is he?

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
http://honisoit.com/2015/03/the-more-you-know-the-less-im-paid/

University is cool.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

MiniSune posted:

Cutting off his nose to spite his face.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Where are my planeteers?

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
I have the power of Skeletons.

It was inside you all along!

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Anidav posted:

Where are my planeteers?

They are Pickled Tink, Cartoon, Fruity, Avs and Gough Suppressant.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

A fine team of heroes.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.
captain shitpost
he's an hero
gonna take the thread vote down to zero
he's our shitposts
magnified
and he's fighting on the auspol side

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

CrazyTolradi posted:

I'm not quite sure how to feel about this grouping

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Where is team pollution, avatar fairy?

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

we're the shitposters
you can be one too
making GBS threads up all threads is the thing to do
tooting and polluting
is an art
now you get to watch us
huff a fart

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQJrovKgrTw

Is this a Catholic neighbourhood? OR PROTESTANT?!

:stare:

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.

Good article, and precisely true. Some of it does vary by university - I get paid a pretty substantial hourly rate, with additional for marking assignments (rather than a set rate). Because I know all of the poo poo off the top of my head, I have no prep time at all, and I don't give out my work email unless people ask for it - so I avoid student consultation. If they need help they know how to get it, but you learn to very quickly block off avenues of contact and establish set rules. Last semester I had a guy that sent me nearly 400 emails over the semester - after the first day, I only ever replied the next morning at 9am, and never followed up with a reply until the next day. Marking I develop a tonne of shortcuts for - again, something I can only do because of massive familiarity with the areas that I teach in. As a result, I can teach 4 hours a week in the last year of my PhD without too much trouble, but most people don't do any.

The part about the "teacher-only" contracts is spot on for us, too. Our VC came in and immediately implemented a similar system after firing all 14 Deans, replacing them with 8 (literally hand-picked) sycophants. The end result was that our department (IT) were told that lecturers needed 3 A-rank journal papers per year to keep their jobs. IT research tends to be more involved than something like chemistry (which is where the Dean was from), so it was literally impossible. When lecturer positions come up, research output is the only metric valued - teaching quality or experience is completely ignored - and if you have a degree from our university, your application gets thrown out.

So, we've just hired on 3 new lecturers (into teaching-focused roles) that are truly awful teachers. We know this, because part of the application process was to deliver a lecture on your research area to the department in a simple manner, to see if you could deliver complex information to people not familiar with the topic. The 3 that got chosen (again, by the hand-picked Dean) were the three worst performers, but had the highest research output. Because what we really need in teachers is high-output researchers that are terrible at teaching, particularly since we're now the department with the largest number of students and the largest profit-maker (from teaching) in the university.

Then the VC got charged for corruption by the CCC and the senate dismissed him, to be replaced by an acting-VC (who doesn't seem too bad). All his policies are still there though, as are his Deans.

Funding is certainly a problem for universities - we need more of it, because student numbers are outpacing our resources. Of course, that's mostly because the university's management decided that even though we gained 35% students this semester, our casual teaching budget was cut by 40%, and we're down 4 FTE to begin with. My supervisor (our Head of School) has 18 PhD students, 10 of which are finishing this year, is teaching 2 units with 80 students each and teaching all his own tutes (because there's no casual budget), and also has Head of School duties (about 30h/week on their own).

It's not a lack of funding ruining our universities (though it certainly doesn't help), it's the loving management.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Murodese posted:

It's not a lack of funding ruining our universities (though it certainly doesn't help), it's the loving management.

Pretty sure I read an article (that I can't seem to find right now) that basically said management practices in Australia are fukt and one of our major hurdles in increasing productivity.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Requesting name change to Pro-Active Enterprise Advocate tia.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Tokamak posted:

A pet dingo ate my baby.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

CrazyTolradi posted:

Do we get matching rings? What's the pay rate? Can I claim giving people lovely anime games on steam as a business expense?

It has come to my attention that life may be incredibly stressful due to having to deal with the unending circus of incompetence and pain that is our government. If you are feeling stressed out at all, please accept a complementary kitten picture.

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Chicken Parmigiana posted:

Would Chipp
by C. Parmigiana

I was awoken from my REMs
By flagrant coughing and ahems.
“We’ve grown anew from withered stems!”
Announced the culprits — ’twas the Dems.

They looked aside and picked their hems
When asked of lines and stratagems.
“Well, Smarties then, or M&Ms?”
“We’re anti-bastard,” quoth the Dems.

Be one who pities, not condemns,
This party pooped by mass mayhems;
The limping dead; their plastic gems;
Dem bones, dem bones, dem bones, dem bones, Dems.

noice

Here you go: Objectives Policies

GrandTheftAutism fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Mar 18, 2015

Ler
Mar 23, 2005

I believe...
Here we go again, business council poo poo stains who keep insisting on screwing over the worker because reasons

quote:

BUSINESS is proposing a radical overhaul of the workplace safety net, calling for the removal of the current award-based system with workplace agreements to be assessed against the minimum wage, industry rates of pay and a series of legislated employment standards.

Under the Australian Chamber of Commerce and Industry proposal, employers and employees would be able to negotiate over key entitlements that are currently included in awards — including penalty rates — in a bid to inject greater flexibility into the safety net and reduce complexity for small-business owners.

The chamber says the proposal is aimed at enhancing employment and productivity while allow­ing businesses to set more reasonable rates for Sunday and public holiday shifts.

The shake-up is roughly modelled on the workplace reforms implemented by New Zealand in the 1990s and would also mean the better-off-overall test would no longer apply as the appropriate benchmark to preserve employee conditions in agreements.

In its submission to the Prod­uctivity Commission’s review of the workplace relations system, ACCI proposes an exemption on unfair-dismissal claims for businesses with fewer than 20 employees.

“Existing unfair-dismissal laws are discouraging small businesses from hiring staff,” says ACCI chief executive Kate Carnell.

“To improve job opportunities, the ACCI has proposed an exemption from unfair-dismissal laws for small businesses with fewer than 20 staff, giving them greater confid­ence to hire someone new.”

The submission supports this proposal by citing figures showing a 30 per cent increase in unfair-dismissal claims made per year since the introduction of the Fair Work Act, with about a quarter of conciliated claims involving a business with fewer than 20 people. It also says “go-away money” is an entrenched part of the system, with 80 per cent of businesses influenced by the desire to avoid the cost of legal proceedings.

In 2013-14, only 6.4 per cent of unfair-dismissal cases were resolved by a decision of the industrial umpire, with 93.6 per cent resolved earlier in the process.

Of the 4941 claims settled in conciliation between July 1, 2012, and January 31, 2013, 75 per cent involved a payment.

The changes to the safety net would see the government place the matters covered by the National Employment Standards in a stand-alone piece of legislation.

Individual and collective agreements would be measured against these new standards as well as the minimum wage and industry rates of pay. This would be supported by a new suite of agreement-making options, including individual statutory agreements.

I don't think I need to point out the obvious bullshittery with their reasoning, but I'll do one anyway - 93.6 resolved earlier in the process you say? Wouldn't have anything to do with fear of losing ones job or anything?

Magog
Jan 9, 2010

Quite possibly.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Senor Tron posted:

It's also pretty unlikely that a PM who had just lost a spill would go to the GG and request a DD. It's a remote fantasy scenario so it's impossible to say what the GG would do if it did happen.

It just means that any spill moves would have to happen without Tones knowing about them, or once he knew it was going down and he no longer had enough support he'd nick off to the GG and call an election.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Brisbane Goonmeet March.

Mu'ooz, West End
Monday 23rd March. 18:30 hrs
http://www.muooz.com.au/

Sorry bout the late notice. Tell the usual.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

MiniSune posted:

Can we do the same for corporate taxes avoided and charge them to the lnp?

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Murodese posted:

IT research tends to be more involved than something like chemistry

Tell me more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
People should brace themselves for another all fronts attack on the parole system. The murderer of Masa Vukodic seems to be a recent releasee.

• Locked thread