Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Angry Grimace posted:

Anticipate being good doesn't fix control not being that good, unfortunately.

How much does an archetype have to top 8 to be considered good? It didn't show great at Miami but 6/8 at Memphis not even a month ago and control won an SCG open this past weekend. It's not dominating standard but it's in a pretty solid place and there's at least 3-4 viable control decks (UB, Abzan, Sultai, and arguably UW) and there's a reasonable chance for more viable combos with Dragons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

http://archive.wizards.com/Magic/magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtgcom/daily/mg119

(search fpr "Soft Lock")

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

mr. mephistopheles posted:

How much does an archetype have to top 8 to be considered good? It didn't show great at Miami but 6/8 at Memphis not even a month ago and control won an SCG open this past weekend. It's not dominating standard but it's in a pretty solid place and there's at least 3-4 viable control decks (UB, Abzan, Sultai, and arguably UW) and there's a reasonable chance for more viable combos with Dragons.

He's talking about people bemoaning control's dominance until Anticipate rotates out. Anticipate doesn't do anything super exciting and control really didn't get many new cards in Dragons.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Aranan posted:

I'm thinking of hitting up the DTK prerelease. I haven't done limited since, uh, Invasion? And I wasn't really good at it back then. I've read about BREAD and all that, but I'm looking at the DTK and FRF lists and not doing great at picking out the good/bad cards. Anyone have some pointers for me?

Definitely check Luis Scott-Vargas' limited set reviews at Channel Fireball that someone linked already. They're concise and LSV generally is very well on the map about cards and formats.

That said, everyone is generally more or less overwhelmed by the new options at prereleases, so no need to fret too much about it. Keep in mind sealed basics: look at your pool and try to identify your power cards and good removal, find a two colour pair that can play as much of those as possible, while having enough playable creatures (13-14+), enough playables overall (22-23 playable spells with 17-18 lands, 40 cards total) and a decent mana curve. If you have cards with small synergies between them, even better. If you have good enough card or two from a third colour you can consider splashing them in, based on what mana fixing you open and what your deck needs.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Angry Grimace posted:

He's talking about people bemoaning control's dominance until Anticipate rotates out. Anticipate doesn't do anything super exciting and control really didn't get many new cards in Dragons.

Oh, yeah, that's fair.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

Tell me you run Dream Chisel. :allears: (and that new DTK enchantment that can flip itself face down).

Former, nah. Animar basically makes everything free after a point and even if Animar dies, I tend to generate so much mana after a point that just playing him does a lot. I mean, it's not a highly competitive deck, but it's one that's a lot of fun to play with against my friends.

And haven't had a chance to use any of the Dragons of Tarkir cards yet, but that flip down enchantment is going to basically be amazing with Secret Plans.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Don't play Morphing Time Animar even though it's called Morphing Time. Playing a Morph doesn't draw a card or generate mana. Cards and mana mean you get to play more things and make Animar huger, which is much more important in the long run than One Elemental's Weird Trick (Cartel Aristocrats hate him!).

That said, utility morphs are still useful. Willbender and Ainok Survivalist can be flipped face up to protect Animar while also still giving a counter when played facedown. The problem comes when the morphs don't do much of anything besides cost 3 and are played at the exclusion of things like Sakura-Tribe Elder or Man-o-War or Trinket Mage, who provide sweet, sweet advantage.

It wouldn't work at all without Trail of Mystery and Secret Plans. In fact the former basically has three different functions. Combat trick, fetch more land, and, with the sheer number of morph creatures I have, to thin down the deck hard enough that there's really only spells left. I am never unhappy to see that card in my opening hand.

But seriously, if you want a highly competitive deck out of it, ha ha, no.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Both Ire Shaman and Stratus Dancer seem like they could be usable in TL.

GlennFinito
Oct 15, 2013

Aranan posted:

I'm thinking of hitting up the DTK prerelease. I haven't done limited since, uh, Invasion? And I wasn't really good at it back then. I've read about BREAD and all that, but I'm looking at the DTK and FRF lists and not doing great at picking out the good/bad cards. Anyone have some pointers for me?

A thing about the prereleases vs regular sealed events is how you get a seeded pack for your chosen color combination and this greatly helps you make a deck with at least one of the colors in your clan/guild/brood. If you want to try your hand at some random seeded pools and see what you could get I would suggest https://www.magicdrafting.net which has a sealed pool generator for prereleases.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Lunsku posted:

Definitely check Luis Scott-Vargas' limited set reviews at Channel Fireball that someone linked already. They're concise and LSV generally is very well on the map about cards and formats.

That said, everyone is generally more or less overwhelmed by the new options at prereleases, so no need to fret too much about it. Keep in mind sealed basics: look at your pool and try to identify your power cards and good removal, find a two colour pair that can play as much of those as possible, while having enough playable creatures (13-14+), enough playables overall (22-23 playable spells with 17-18 lands, 40 cards total) and a decent mana curve. If you have cards with small synergies between them, even better. If you have good enough card or two from a third colour you can consider splashing them in, based on what mana fixing you open and what your deck needs.

Thanks, reading LSV's stuff is pretty helpful at getting a rough idea for what's valuable in limited. Going by his calls, I was way off on a few things, but in general kind of had the right idea.

GlennFinito posted:

A thing about the prereleases vs regular sealed events is how you get a seeded pack for your chosen color combination and this greatly helps you make a deck with at least one of the colors in your clan/guild/brood. If you want to try your hand at some random seeded pools and see what you could get I would suggest https://www.magicdrafting.net which has a sealed pool generator for prereleases.

Yeah, this whole seeded pack thing is new to me. I did manage to find that website last night and I've been practicing making decks with it--seems kind of useful. How accurate is its generator? I had one UB seeded sealed pool that had 2 uncommon black cards and no rares. Just bad luck?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
The seeded packs are always going to have an on-color rare in them, I bet they also have a FRF Dual Land and one of the Dragon Monuments in there too.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

mcmagic posted:

The seeded packs are always going to have an on-color rare in them, I bet they also have a FRF Dual Land and one of the Dragon Monuments in there too.

Yeah, it makes me torn between Dimir, for the sweet, sweet exploit deck, or Azorius, for the Narset lottery.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Madmarker posted:

Yeah, it makes me torn between Dimir, for the sweet, sweet exploit deck, or Azorius, for the Narset lottery.

Narset can't be your prerelease rare.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

mcmagic posted:

Narset can't be your prerelease rare.

No, but Dragonlord Ojutai is pretty bonkers.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

AlternateNu posted:

No, but Dragonlord Ojutai is pretty bonkers.

Any of the Dragonlords are bonkers in limited.

Like seriously I'll take an 8/8 flying trample with boulderfall slapped on it, for 7, sure.

GlennFinito
Oct 15, 2013

Aranan posted:

Yeah, this whole seeded pack thing is new to me. I did manage to find that website last night and I've been practicing making decks with it--seems kind of useful. How accurate is its generator? I had one UB seeded sealed pool that had 2 uncommon black cards and no rares. Just bad luck?
I'm not sure how accurate it is but from Theros/Khans prereleases I've attended I would say it's possible to get shafted out of one color but unlikely. But this usually means you've gotten a lot of stuff in the other out of the color pair so it usually balances out.

Madmarker posted:

RB for the dream of opening ambuscade+warbringer.

Also Atarka Efreet seems like a better canyon lurkers (the red 5/2 morph). on top of being a very easy formidable enabler, it will also hit for 7(!) if not blocked as a surprise unmorph

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Count Bleck posted:

Any of the Dragonlords are bonkers in limited.

Like seriously I'll take an 8/8 flying trample with boulderfall slapped on it, for 7, sure.

Yeah they are all uber bombs in limited for sure.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

I do appreciate the ol' Learn from the Past win-con

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

forbidden lesbian posted:

I do appreciate the ol' Learn from the Past win-con

Yeah I saw that deck, and am trying, quite unsuccessfully I might add, to convince myself not to brew it up upon the release of Dragons.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
So does anyone know what the prerelease cards for the clans will be/ All I can dig up is speculation.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you're playing a control deck in this next standard and you don't have 4x Narset you're doing it wrong.

Sirbloody
Aug 21, 2005

Don't fuck with the Rabbi!
I can't decide which Dragonlord to pick on pre-release..... According to my LGS only 10 people signed up (Pretty small town, most people travel to Savannah for the bigger events). I really like U/W but I am not a huge fan of control, the only other color I am interested in is W/G...

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

mcmagic posted:

If you're playing a control deck in this next standard and you don't have 4x Narset you're doing it wrong.

oh boy

Sirbloody posted:

I can't decide which Dragonlord to pick on pre-release..... According to my LGS only 10 people signed up (Pretty small town, most people travel to Savannah for the bigger events). I really like U/W but I am not a huge fan of control, the only other color I am interested in is W/G...

You dont have to play UW as 'control'.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Yeah, white blue can be played as control, but it's also very tempo-y. Particularly with all of the unblockable things blue has access to.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

This game absolutely needed to be shared. Best game of pauper I've ever played.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah there's a bunch of Not-Prowess in DTK, so tempo builds might work depending on what cards you pull.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
Second half of the planeswalker guide is up.

Man, Tarkir is a shithole now, thanks Sarkhan.

Kraus
Jan 17, 2008

legoman727 posted:

Can't save the multiverse without subjecting some planes to the tyrannical rule of dragons!

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

legoman727 posted:

No kidding. You know things are bad when Silumgar's only like, the 3rd worst dragonlord to live under.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Anyone got a link? I still can't navigate Wizards' website worth a drat.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Ramos posted:

Anyone got a link? I still can't navigate Wizards' website worth a drat.

Here you go

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

No maindeck PLA to recycle fountains?

mcmagic posted:

:laffo:

Rimusutera posted:

You dont have to play UW as 'control'.

Um my favorite control card is Geist of Saint Traft.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Zoness posted:

:laffo:

Um my favorite control card is Geist of Saint Traft.

In tiny leaders, its a great control finisher.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Also the new Event Deck:

:geno: The B/W Warriors one was better, I think, and the Clash Pack was better still.

They really don't like to give out multiples of Rares (even the crappy ones like Polis Crusher) do they? You'd think they'd put like 2-3 Knuckleblades in there instead of the Crusher and a Fanatic of Xenagos. Also a Foothills instead of a Temple.

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

Wezlar posted:

This game absolutely needed to be shared. Best game of pauper I've ever played.

I just bought the mono U delver deck because comfort zones are for babbys and I only got in three games this morning but the format already has been super fun and buying a deck for $11 because I skipped the hydro blasts for now also felt p good.

Playing mono U for me though is an exercise in humility for sure, any good blue delver videos to watch/stuff to read?

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

legoman727 posted:

Being in the Dromoka sounds okay if you don't like your ancestors, and I can't stand mine so I'd be golden.

All the same, it's depressing how all my favourite settings - Dominaria, Mirrodin and now Tarkir - keep getting turned into less interesting hellhole versions of themselves. It's like Creative needs to know a setting will be irretrievably destroyed before they're able to make it interesting.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

The Lord of Hats posted:

No kidding. You know things are bad when Silumgar's only like, the 3rd worst dragonlord to live under.

Really? You'd rather work for Silumgar than Atarka or Kolaghan? Those at least seem indifferent as long as you stay out of their way and/or feed them; a lot of Silumgar's underlings meet their end just because he was in a bad mood for unrelated reasons.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Starving Autist posted:

Really? You'd rather work for Silumgar than Atarka or Kolaghan? Those at least seem indifferent as long as you stay out of their way and/or feed them; a lot of Silumgar's underlings meet their end just because he was in a bad mood for unrelated reasons.

On the other hand the flavor text of Youthful Scholar really resonates with goons with regards to Silumgar:

"Too dumb, and you end up a sibsig. Too smart, and you can end up a meal. Mediocrity is the key to a long life."
-Mogai, Silumgar noble

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Thanks!

Starving Autist posted:

Hey, better dead and unable to realize how much life sucks than to be the lowest rung in those places. Maybe, Silumgar's zombies and their level of consciousness is vague at best.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Zoness posted:

PLA can win through combat, which is unacceptable game 1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Starving Autist posted:

I think I would go for something where I can at least try and stay out of the way over trying to feed an eternally hungry dragon on pain of death by being eaten (plus I kind of get the impression that you can get a fairly decent position under Silumgar so long as you absolutely explicitly abandon any attempt at going further than that). With Kolaghan it is admittedly a bit up in the air, but they've kind of devolved into a bunch of bloodthirsty berserkers who constantly destroy poo poo.

Most importantly, though, there is no fresh fruit to be had under either Kolaghan or Atarka. If I'm going to live in fear of death by dragon, I may as well have decent food while I'm doing it. :v:

• Locked thread