Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

A lot of the screenshots posted so far make this game come off to me as something where you build one giant highway intersection with a bunch of buildings surrounding it as an afterthought. Can you get creative the way you could with SC4?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Freudian posted:

I'm not buying this game until someone ports over Realistic Horse Genitalia. I require full immersion.

Are there horses in this game

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

ZenVulgarity posted:

Mods of mods will be necessary.

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

Shibawanko posted:

A lot of the screenshots posted so far make this game come off to me as something where you build one giant highway intersection with a bunch of buildings surrounding it as an afterthought. Can you get creative the way you could with SC4?

People tend to overdo the whole highway thing imo, the inner sperg compels building endless interchanges I guess.

e: A lot of it probably grows out of the "i'm gonna separate districts per function and connect them via highways, oh why is everything clogged" line of thinking.

cthulhoo fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Mar 18, 2015

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

ZenVulgarity posted:

I'm not buying this game until someone ports over horses.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Zomborgon posted:

Mods of mods will be necessary.

bring me all the mods

Oh man can you use tropico assets

Cigar factories

Cigar factories everywhere

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

ZenVulgarity posted:

I haven't built my octopus highway interchanges to accommodate horses, please advise.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Riosan posted:

I haven't built my octopus highway interchanges to accommodate horses, please advise.

Don't want to be neighsayer but I don't think you need to

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

ZenVulgarity posted:

bring me all the mods

Oh man can you use tropico assets

Cigar factories

Cigar factories everywhere

I'm working on it

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
All these mods and still not a real baseball stadium.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

suddenlyissoon posted:

*field

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

suddenlyissoon posted:

Baseball is for old people and 5 year olds forced to go hth

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

cthulhoo posted:

People tend to overdo the whole highway thing imo, the inner sperg compels building endless interchanges I guess.
Yeah, I've built only one new stretch of highway to the pre-existing network to service a particular industrial area but my city's pretty much smooshed together, but I've tried to give each neighbourhood its own feel. The district thing is great for that, each area gets its own name and you can tweak priorities and plus some analytic stuff.

I want some cricket ovals by the way.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Damnit ZenVulgarity I thought I told you to shave those sideburns!! :argh:

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Spaceman Future! posted:

Damnit ZenVulgarity I thought I told you to shave those sideburns!! :argh:

:D

Good joke

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Shanakin posted:

I'm using this wonderful map of Hong Kong with the zone unlocker
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=406270234

Has the guy who made that map ever fixed the water? It's a cool map, but last time I checked he hadn't set the oceans up properly so there was no real flow.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

ZenVulgarity posted:

I'm frankly amazed there aren't any pony mods yet.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

The game is really lacking in external influences. Stuff like market crashes, meteors, random plane crashes, stuff like that. Once you understand the basics of the game, theres nothing to really challenge you because none of it changes outside of your control. Hopefully someone will mod stuff like that in soon.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Poil posted:

I'm frankly amazed there aren't any pony mods yet.

Like my little pony or horse cops

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*
Horseback cops would be kinda cool, I think it'd go great with some historical buildings mods.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Shibawanko posted:

I don't use highways at all on my maps, other than the little stub coming in and maybe an extra ramp or two, nothing. I specially make maps too that don't have much in the way of highways.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Conot posted:

The game is really lacking in external influences. Stuff like market crashes, meteors, random plane crashes, stuff like that. Once you understand the basics of the game, theres nothing to really challenge you because none of it changes outside of your control. Hopefully someone will mod stuff like that in soon.

Fire spreading would be a good start.

Also the agent system is just begging for a zombie outbreak.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Shibawanko posted:

The absolutely giant highway intersections are mostly superfluous, I haven't needed anything fancier than using this for new spurs off the preexisting regional line.

However dropping a highway spur with frontage roads or other cleverly designed local distributed service method is the easiest way to vacuum up wayward traffic from a clogged artery. That doesn't mean there isn't untapped buckets of spergdom for crazy person one way networks that reduce the frequency you need to connect to a highway.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

simosimo posted:

I've been working with a dude on getting my billboard textures in game, and they're now in the workshop for your pleasure as ploppables:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=409644461

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=409644557

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=409644660

Maxis hiring and EA septic :vince:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I really want them to take all the profits from this game and go full 90's Maxis crazy. CimIsle.

I miss SimIsle. :(

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

Orgophlax posted:

How do you create a Y intersection? Everytime I try the section turns red saying the space is already occupied.

When you have 3 roads combining, the game seems to get real mad if any angle is less than 45 degreees. If you are combining different sizes of roads, it can get real finicky. Some of the multi split highway sections I've made have required me to delete one spur to make a different one, and then I could put the spur back on no problem. A design could be completely legitimate, but you have to plop it in just the right order.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
My Mega City is coming along.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

ZenVulgarity posted:

Like my little pony or horse cops

My wife found a pinkie pie map. It was a map that was made of a picture of a pony. Its mane was trees!

give me thread
Dec 29, 2008

Alkydere posted:

This. This so very hard. The only "disasters" in this game are either comedies of error (flooding your town with a dam), industrial traffic, and weirdness with garbage truck/hearse pathing. I have only come close to losing a city once, and that was by turning off my medical clinic WHILE turning off garbage WHILE pumping tainted water into the system as I was going for two unique building unlocks at once (below 20 health in city, garbage pileup). The mixture of corpses and tainted water with no medical intervention actually nearly sent me to a death spiral and I had to take bailout money.
I think you can fudge the game mechanics a little bit to get back on track.

I was losing a coupe of grand a week and was already financially well in the red (like -30k or so), already used up the bailout which allowed me to at least build a few roads before going red again. So I jacked up all the services to 150% because why not? Magically population started flooding in and I managed to zone some unused spaces, re-zone others and started making money within a few weeks. It's a bit gamey but worked.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Jonny Nox posted:

My wife found a pinkie pie map. It was a map that was made of a picture of a pony. Its mane was trees!

Sure, your "wife" found it :airquote:

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
Anyone know of a good platform to release textures? (like my billboards which I plan on doing more).

As you cant upload straight textures to the workshop, i'd like some sort of place to do it so people can see new stuff easily, as well as old stuff.

I'm thinking of tumblr, as I post pictures as 'posts'?

although I still don't get what tumblr is (people post pictures all the time and argue about what an xe is?)

A website is overkill as it's only a hobby, and facebook pages are too archival / crap.

give me thread
Dec 29, 2008
Speaking of maps.

Just needs a highway loop and a train connection and it'll be ready. Maybe a river down by the scrotum region.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

give me thread posted:

Speaking of maps.

Just needs a highway loop and a train connection and it'll be ready. Maybe a river down by the scrotum region.

Dickton-on-Scrotum

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I agree there isn't much of a challenge. My city of 45K has 2 million in the bank, and I routinely make vast changes that cause temporary losses in income before the increased tax revenue more than offsets it.

give me thread posted:

Speaking of maps.

Is that a waterfall coming out of the tip?

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Wanna place all my sewage pipes on that tip.

Maybe one on the south side for aesthetics.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
Still waiting on the Goatman.

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

I currently tried my hand in making a map, called Skye. Initially it used the topography data of the island itself but took a while to make actual decent areas to build on and expand to.

If you like, small, hilly spaces with interesting natural features then you may like to try the map: Workshop Link

rentilius
Apr 21, 2010

ZenVulgarity posted:

Don't want to be neighsayer but I don't think you need to
Don't think you're going to get away with this.

As an aside, apparently night/day cycles and disasters are something they are planning on adding. They've also announced that they're going to have DLC and expansions and I'm actually okay with that as I really enjoy this game.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

I tried doing some trains last night. Freight worked fine, but passenger trains were acting weird. When I made a route I just saw a passenger train briefly spawn and then disappear repeatedly. Anyone else see this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Do custom-made maps count as mods for purposes of achievements? I guess I don't really care either way but I like using them to track my progress through a game.