Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Kassad posted:

The fact that Anthony said "the class will sit in silence until you return" makes me think it'll be pandemonium when she comes back. Or not and it'll keep getting worse :smith:

I used to have a teacher who could do that somehow. :ohdear: Anthony so far strikes me as someone who could make this happen as well.
On the other hand, my teacher was actually a pretty cool guy. He just had this weird charisma that caused everyone to sit up straight and do exactly what he was saying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arthur Crackpot
Sep 4, 2011

Proceed in a str8 line shaped like a perpetually shifting torus knot until you feel a sense of despair transcending all mortal comprehension, then hang a right at the next octopus, she'll be in the first room on the left

Wulfolme posted:

poo poo gettin mad whack, yo!

It's not going to be an "it was all a dream" sequence. He's never done that before and he probably doesn't care for tricking readers like that. This poo poo is happening.

It would just cheapen the whole thing if this turned out to be a dream, anyway. So far, everything Anthony's done has been perfectly believable, and we've been on the edge of our collective seats waiting to see how he and Annie will interact since page one. To turn around and go "WHOOPS sorry that was all just Annie's subconscious being super paranoid about her dad" would be the dickest of moves.

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
Boy that's some effective arts.

And Christ on a crutch, what does Anthony expect to accomplish by having the class sit quiet until Annie comes back? What the hell is the purpose of that? Is he thinking I his head "Hahaha, now everyone will hate Annie now!" Or did he get a 2 year old message about Annie having trouble making friends and this is his terrible and convoluted method to get people to care for her.

It just feels a bit out of place, is all.

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
I... just... wow. The shift in art style is a masterstroke, it conveys Annie's state of mind so clearly and economically, and the clearly drawn image of her face in the mirror as the shock of the water helps bring her back to herself. Tony Carver continues to be a tremendous dick. My feels are being manipulated by a master and I like it. Tea-san, we are not worthy. :worship:

GENUINE CAT HERDER
Jan 2, 2004

Wedge Regret

M.c.P posted:

Boy that's some effective arts.

And Christ on a crutch, what does Anthony expect to accomplish by having the class sit quiet until Annie comes back? What the hell is the purpose of that?

There isn't really a "purpose" outside of the fact that that is what Anthony wants the class to do, so that is what he's telling them they'll do. He really doesn't give a poo poo what they think about him or Annie because he's the one in control right now and to him that's how it will be.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

M.c.P posted:

And Christ on a crutch, what does Anthony expect to accomplish by having the class sit quiet until Annie comes back? What the hell is the purpose of that? Is he thinking I his head "Hahaha, now everyone will hate Annie now!" Or did he get a 2 year old message about Annie having trouble making friends and this is his terrible and convoluted method to get people to care for her.
"Nobody will be allowed to do anything until you get back so don't dawdle staring into the mirror wondering where I've been all these years for ten minutes."

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

In college, I had a professor somewhat like Anthony for about a quarter of a semester, until the first exam came along. There was someone new to our major sitting up front because it was a junior level (third out of fourth year) class and they'd just transferred in. Prof had them go sit in front of someone else instead for...some reason. I don't think they ever said why. They didn't know who the other person was, so they stayed there and looked around the class, hoping the person would indicate "right here" to them. A few seconds later, the professor dropped an "Are you loving kidding me?!" at them having not moved, things went downhill from there, and afterwards nearly the entire class went to the administration to report the professor.

They'd since turned the exam into a take-home exam, and (though they didn't say it in-class) planned to cancel it anyway, but they got fired before the next class. Hopefully they had a good reason for making the person move :shrug:

I guess what I'm getting at is that Anthony Carver is a massive tosser.

Cestrian
Nov 5, 2011

Bad Seafood posted:

"Nobody will be allowed to do anything until you get back so don't dawdle staring into the mirror wondering where I've been all these years for ten minutes."

Yeah, exactly. It's not that weird for teachers to demand silence and he's just saying that he won't start his lesson until she get's back so hurry up.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I don't know if I can get on board the "It can't possibly be a dream" train - Anthony's behavior, or at least his singling out of Annie just strikes me too much like a dream trope - like how people dream they're giving a speech and they forget the words, then find out they have no pants on. It feels more like Annie worrying about the worst possible way meeting her father again could go.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

He just doesn't want his dear girl / student to miss any important lessons, like the good loving father / teacher he is. The rest of the guys will respectfully wait in silence.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Bad Seafood posted:

Yep. It's a form of blackmail to make Annie hurry up. It's also a way to tell the rest of the class to shut up about what's happening, because Anthony Carver is not exactly an individual who is good at making small talk with children to pass the time.

In fact he's the kind of individual who's completely unsuited to teach anything to anyone except possibly especially motivated postgraduate students.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Oxyclean posted:

I don't know if I can get on board the "It can't possibly be a dream" train - Anthony's behavior, or at least his singling out of Annie just strikes me too much like a dream trope - like how people dream they're giving a speech and they forget the words, then find out they have no pants on. It feels more like Annie worrying about the worst possible way meeting her father again could go.

Don't forget that up until this point Annie loved and trusted her father. I don't think she'd dream of him acting like that.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Don't go back Annie :v: They shall sit in silence forever. Or until Kat comes looking.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
annie goes back to the forest for another few months, anthony refuses to let the class leave for the entire duration of her stay

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Tenebrais posted:

Don't forget that up until this point Annie loved and trusted her father. I don't think she'd dream of him acting like that.

you've never had nightmares about your loved ones suddenly hating you.... or an authority figure you looked up to in the past being disappointed in you?

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Dreams do not normally make this much sense for this long. Tom knows that. (Yes, I know that Divine wasn't REALLY a dream, but it certainly felt like one to everyone involved, including myself.) If this is a dream sequence, I will eat my hat. It's not fair to the readers and it certainly isn't fair to poor Antimony.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

he's changed art style to more simple before, this comes to mind for example http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1444

Agreed its not been quite the same here, but I accept the "reverting to a more childlike mental frame" than it being a dream sequence, which would cheapen this whole thing IMO

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Tenebrais posted:

That kind of strikes me more as self-denial then anything else or least some kind of coping mechanism. "Oh my dad isn't a shitbag who abandon me...he just had...reasons!"

Also, don't dreams tend to feed on irrational fear? She might have good feelings towards her father and think his absence has the best intentions, but the seed of doubt seems like it'd be enough to trigger this sort of dream given she knows she's to meet her father soon. His actions just strike me as so typically "mean/harsh teacher."

That said, it being a dream doesn't seem like that a strong of a story element. Only way I can think of it going is that the chapter is largely Annie dealing with the anticipation of meeting her father later on, but a week dedicated to a dream sequence seems a bit much.

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

Inglonias posted:

Dreams do not normally make this much sense for this long. Tom knows that. (Yes, I know that Divine wasn't REALLY a dream, but it certainly felt like one to everyone involved, including myself.) If this is a dream sequence, I will eat my hat. It's not fair to the readers and it certainly isn't fair to poor Antimony.

Divine had a dream sequence that told you directly that you were seeing a dream sequence as it was kicking off. This ain't no soap opera.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

What the hell guys, Annie isn't feeling like she is because Anthony is "being a tosser" (he isn't), she's feeling like that because her father is actually back in her life, so suddenly. It's got nothing to do with him acting like a dickbag (he's not) and everything to do with someone very important to her, whose absence was a defining characteristic of who she is, is no longer absent, with no warning.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

YF-23 posted:

What the hell guys, Annie isn't feeling like she is because Anthony is "being a tosser" (he isn't), she's feeling like that because her father is actually back in her life, so suddenly. It's got nothing to do with him acting like a dickbag (he's not) and everything to do with someone very important to her, whose absence was a defining characteristic of who she is, is no longer absent, with no warning.

Absentee father showing up like this and acting this way absolutely is awful. And it is also entirely possible that she doesn't see it that way.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

This page really, at least for me, captures that dreamlike feeling of knowing you have to go back and get through the next hour somehow, and that you know eventually that hour is gonna be up and it'll be over, but you have no idea how you're going to get there.

Don't go back, Annie, it's not worth it, just go for a walk and deal with it afterwards. :ohdear:

Good work, Tom, giving me terrible school flashbacks. :v:

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

YF-23 posted:

Now does anything Anthony's done or said in the span of the last three pages not scream "massive asshat" to you?

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
I think if it is a dream then Anthony is still actually there, like doing an Inception bullshit thing to mess with Annie...because he's a tosser.

My vote is still for it not being a dream and maybe Tom huffed some fumes, or it's artistic license stuff.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

YF-23 posted:

Either this is an unsourced quote or a hilarious indication that you have no idea of how human beings think or speak or act.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

Oxxidation posted:

Either this is an unsourced quote or a hilarious indication that you have no idea of how human beings think or speak or act.
Singling out a child to be humiliated in front of their peers is character-building!

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Aumanor posted:

Now does anything Anthony's done or said in the span of the last three pages not scream "massive asshat" to you?

Calling the make-up ridiculous might have been a tad harsh but it shows he cares. If he didn't care for his daughter he wouldn't have done any of this. He wouldn't have shown up, he wouldn't have told Annie to clean her face up. Everything else we've seen of him shows a man that has lost a huge deal retreating into his obsession to save his daughter from what he knows first-hand to be a fatal condition. He isn't sociable, but we have seen nothing of him to suggest he's acting on anything other than love for his daughter.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

YF-23 posted:

Calling the make-up ridiculous might have been a tad harsh but it shows he cares. If he didn't care for his daughter he wouldn't have done any of this. He wouldn't have shown up, he wouldn't have told Annie to clean her face up. Everything else we've seen of him shows a man that has lost a huge deal retreating into his obsession to save his daughter from what he knows first-hand to be a fatal condition. He isn't sociable, but we have seen nothing of him to suggest he's acting on anything other than love for his daughter.

Jesus Christ, I shudder to think of your childhood.

One Legged Cat
Aug 31, 2004

DAY I GOT COOKIE

Nathilus posted:

He REALLY shouldn't pull a Gendo we all know what happens to Gendos.

Well sure the guy himself doesn't get the best ending, but his child gets to be the Adam/Eve of the world after the apocalypse! And not just any parent will do that for their child!

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

YF-23 posted:

Calling the make-up ridiculous might have been a tad harsh but it shows he cares.
I can't even see this connection, let alone what you followed it with.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Obviously the NO gently caress YOU DAD that is so common in goons is making you all project and hate on this innocent man. It's the Jack Hyland situation all over again.

It's hosed up. Give Anthony a chance, please.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Zero_Tactility posted:

I can't even see this connection, let alone what you followed it with.

If he didn't care about Annie he wouldn't have said anything. If he only cared about her as a student, he wouldn't have bothered qualifying the make-up as ridiculous.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Other misunderstood comic dads: Cabbage.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

YF-23 posted:

If he didn't care about Annie he wouldn't have said anything. If he only cared about her as a student, he wouldn't have bothered qualifying the make-up as ridiculous.
It seems just as valid an interpretation to lead both of those statements with "If he didn't detest her" to me.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Zero_Tactility posted:

It seems just as valid an interpretation to lead both of those statements with "If he didn't detest her" to me.

If he hated her he wouldn't have tried to heal her, and he wouldn't have come back to the court either.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

YF-23 posted:

If he hated her he wouldn't have tried to heal her, and he wouldn't have come back to the court either.

He tried to remotely rip out part of her essence, without her knowledge or consent, leaving her comatose until Zimmy made him cut that poo poo out. He's presumably moving back into the court to finish the job.

Lunchabully
Jul 20, 2003
Pillbug

YF-23 posted:

He didn't tell her to remove the makeup because it's ridiculous, or because it's not allowed in his class or whatever. He wants it gone for the same reason Annie puts it on: it's a reminder of Surma.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
By heal her, you mean 'try to rip out her soul without warning'.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.

YF-23 posted:

get out of this thread boxbot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

:tinfoil: Wait, what if hiring Anthony was the Headmaster's spite-hire to get back at Annie/disabuse her of the idea of being the Forest medium? :tinfoil: