Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

cremnob posted:

http://techcrunch.com/2015/03/17/app-submissions-on-google-play-now-reviewed-by-staff-will-include-age-based-ratings/

What the gently caress? Android's biggest selling point has been anti-walled garden. Now I'm just using a piece of poo poo ripoff of the iPhone.

gently caress off cremnob

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
After a painful three week vacation in Windows Phone land my Z3c warranty replacement arrived today. Brand new swap out and Sony didn't even bat an eye despite it being purchased in the UK by someone other than myself. I'm so glad to be home.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

TraderStav posted:

After a painful three week vacation in Windows Phone land my Z3c warranty replacement arrived today. Brand new swap out and Sony didn't even bat an eye despite it being purchased in the UK by someone other than myself. I'm so glad to be home.

Niice. Want to sell it back to me for cheep?:newlol:

Glad they bailed you out of this one!

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

peepsalot posted:

Just curious if my phone is the only one that says "E-use" instead of "use" during google maps turn by turn directions. Sounds weird.

I just noticed that today and it was very weird. It also wasn't every time either, which was even weirder...

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
So it looks like HTC is going to upgrade" it's protection plan.

Seems interesting, as it looks like it will be a full year, include water damage, and even include some kind of buyback/credit towards a new HTC phone if you switch carriers.

Too bad the plan name is something a five year-old came up with.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Refurb Verizon Moto X 2014 for $260 http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorola-Mo...=item234d0be9ff

Can be used on GSM networks but you may not get LTE.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Anyone know why my Moto G won't recognize my T-Mobile SIM? It works fine on my Nexus 4.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Last note on MKBHD, if you look at his older videos he's reviewing generic mice in front of a webcam. He knows how to talk, and the equipment overkill he has seems silly until you see the level of quality that everyone else has. You're either a tech outfit that knows what they are doing (Engadget, verge) or a dude that does unstable sweeping generic shots of the phone shot on another phone. He's one guy and he matches the quality of the former, which is impressive. I'd rather him than a guy doing unboxing videos while talking waaaaaay too close to the mic.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Even if he is a spoilt rich kid or he's being bought off by the tech companies or whatever the theory is, who cares? He makes nice-looking videos where he shows you stuff and goes 'I like this and this, I don't like this' and that's pretty much it. Is anyone buying all these phones because he says he likes them but he doesn't really?

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

Lblitzer posted:

Refurb Verizon Moto X 2014 for $260 http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorola-Mo...=item234d0be9ff

I see they have re-boxed brand new ones (with third-party accessories) for $300 also.

That's tempting but I'd be on StraightTalk or Cricket. I'm guessing if refurbs are starting to go out to resellers that they will have Pure or AT&T models soon? On the other hand I'm on a Nexus 4 now so it's not like I'm used to LTE anyway.

In other deals it looks like if you buy a Moto X 2 direct from Motorola right now you get a free Moto E 2nd Gen 3G https://www.motorola.com/us/motorola-shop-all-sale.html

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Red Warrior posted:

In other deals it looks like if you buy a Moto X 2 direct from Motorola right now you get a free Moto E 2nd Gen 3G https://www.motorola.com/us/motorola-shop-all-sale.html

This buy one, get a free one deal is neat and all but what am I gonna do with two phones? It's not exactly useful.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

SB35 posted:

This buy one, get a free one deal is neat and all but what am I gonna do with two phones? It's not exactly useful.

A backup phone/phone for a friend or family member?

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.
That Austin kid is so awkward in their collaboration videos, though. Look at the note 4 / 6+ comparison for reference.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Anyone have experience dealing with LG for out of warranty repair or replacement? Nexus 5 that I bought in December 2013 is shutting itself off or dying or something. Super frustrating not being able to use my phone unless its plugged in. Would have loved to have it last longer than a gear and some change.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Red Warrior posted:

I see they have re-boxed brand new ones (with third-party accessories) for $300 also.

That's tempting but I'd be on StraightTalk or Cricket. I'm guessing if refurbs are starting to go out to resellers that they will have Pure or AT&T models soon? On the other hand I'm on a Nexus 4 now so it's not like I'm used to LTE anyway.

In other other deals it looks like you can get a Moto X 2014 White/Bamboo refurbished for $260.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Confirmation from Moto that the Turbo is going to jump straight from 4.4.4 to 5.1.

http://www.droid-life.com/2015/03/18/droid-turbo-to-be-updated-straight-to-android-5-1/

It's looking more and more like my suspicions about the last update were true.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

bull3964 posted:

Confirmation from Moto that the Turbo is going to jump straight from 4.4.4 to 5.1.

http://www.droid-life.com/2015/03/18/droid-turbo-to-be-updated-straight-to-android-5-1/

It's looking more and more like my suspicions about the last update were true.

I literally have no idea why they'd waste two updates on implementing VoLTE when 5.1 does it natively anyways

Is the Turbo's VoLTE different than 5.1's?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

this_is_hard posted:

I literally have no idea why they'd waste two updates on implementing VoLTE when 5.1 does it natively anyways

Is the Turbo's VoLTE different than 5.1's?

Because it's a flagship Verizon device and as such needs to have Verizon's flagship feature. They couldn't afford to wait until the native lollipop implementation.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

That Asus Zenfone 2 looks pretty nice and I'd maybe pick one up here in Hong Kong, but I'll never understand why companies can't just give release dates. All I know is it's coming out in "March." Thanks, Asus! Making it difficult to buy your products just makes me want it that much more.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

DrBouvenstein posted:

So it looks like HTC is going to upgrade" it's protection plan.

Seems interesting, as it looks like it will be a full year, include water damage, and even include some kind of buyback/credit towards a new HTC phone if you switch carriers.

Too bad the plan name is something a five year-old came up with.

They should partner up with Campbell's and call it the "Uh-oh, Spaghetti-O's!" program.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
So Smart Lock Trusted Places has decided to stop working on my N7 out of the blue. Trusted Devices works fine but now it will not stay unlocked at my house no matter what I do. So far I've tried uninstalling updates from Play Services and reinstalling, reboots, turning Smart Lock off and then on again and redoing my trust place, and various combinations of those things. Does anyone have any other things to try before I give in and wipe this thing? It's on 5.0.2 and AFAIK Play Services is up-to-date.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Stan Taylor posted:

Anyone have experience dealing with LG for out of warranty repair or replacement? Nexus 5 that I bought in December 2013 is shutting itself off or dying or something. Super frustrating not being able to use my phone unless its plugged in. Would have loved to have it last longer than a gear and some change.

It's annoying and slow, but it works. Just submit an RMA and ship it back.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Require More Fire posted:

So Smart Lock Trusted Places has decided to stop working on my N7 out of the blue. Trusted Devices works fine but now it will not stay unlocked at my house no matter what I do. So far I've tried uninstalling updates from Play Services and reinstalling, reboots, turning Smart Lock off and then on again and redoing my trust place, and various combinations of those things. Does anyone have any other things to try before I give in and wipe this thing? It's on 5.0.2 and AFAIK Play Services is up-to-date.

Have you checked your home location is actually where your house is on maps? Google shifted my house number 50 yards for no apparent reason a while back

Skarsnik fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Mar 18, 2015

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

bull3964 posted:

Because it's a flagship Verizon device and as such needs to have Verizon's flagship feature. They couldn't afford to wait until the native lollipop implementation.

Luciano Carvalho seems to be sending a mixed message on this? I may be entirely misreading this but:

Luciano Carvalho posted:

nothing to do with the 5.0 bugs. 

Verizon demands VoLTE support and 5.1 brings it to the platform. Basically it.

Porting all the VoLTE changes to 5.0 and then switch to the AOSP solution on 5.1 would be a huge waste of resources.

So instead they ported all of the VoLTE changes to 4.4.4 and then they're going to upgrade to 5.1...sometime later??

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Grumpwagon posted:

It's annoying and slow, but it works. Just submit an RMA and ship it back.

They don't ship out a replacement first? I don't have a backup phone. Blahhhh. Will be contacting them at some point this week regardless.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

this_is_hard posted:

Luciano Carvalho seems to be sending a mixed message on this? I may be entirely misreading this but:

So instead they ported all of the VoLTE changes to 4.4.4 and then they're going to upgrade to 5.1...sometime later??

Verizon wanted VoLTE support ASAP. Motorola had their own custom code for 4.4.4 to support VoLTE since nothing prior to 5.1 supported it natively.

It would be pointless for them to upgrade to 5.0 and shoehorn their custom stuff into it again, when 5.1 has actual support from the upstream code. So they sit on it, and ship 5.1 without having to use their custom stuff.

Verizon also clearly didn't want any new devices shipping without VoLTE, which is why the Nexus 6 didn't arrive until 5.1 was a thing.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

Lblitzer posted:

I'm still new to GSM - why would one not get LTE?

edit - for reference, I'd be getting this for Ting's GSM service (T-Mobile network)

dphi fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Mar 18, 2015

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

dphi posted:

I'm still new to GSM - why would one not get LTE?

edit - for reference, I'd be getting this for Ting's GSM service (T-Mobile network)

The Verizon Moto X only has support for Verizon's LTE bands. You might get LTE on T-Mobile, the Moto X does support band 4 which T-Mobile uses for LTE as well as Verizon.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

kitten smoothie posted:

Verizon wanted VoLTE support ASAP. Motorola had their own custom code for 4.4.4 to support VoLTE since nothing prior to 5.1 supported it natively.

It would be pointless for them to upgrade to 5.0 and shoehorn their custom stuff into it again, when 5.1 has actual support from the upstream code. So they sit on it, and ship 5.1 without having to use their custom stuff.

Verizon also clearly didn't want any new devices shipping without VoLTE, which is why the Nexus 6 didn't arrive until 5.1 was a thing.

One thing that rings false about what Luciano Carvalho is stating though is AFAIK Google didn't provide a feature roadmap (at least not to the public) of what features were going to be supported in AOSP when.

Now, it's possible that they communicated to OEMs well well well in advance that 5.1 is going to support VoLTE in AOSP. However, unless they had that on the roadmap from the time 5.0 code dropped, you cannot tell me that work hadn't already been done to bring VoLTE calling to Lollipop. Other OEMs did it (Galaxy S5), so why did they go through the effort when it was going to be solved for them in a few weeks?

It also creates further complications for their other handsets if that's the case. We know that 5.0.2 is being soaked for the 2013 Moto X which currently doesn't have advanced calling, but its hardware twin (Droid MAXX) does. Moto won't commit to 5.1 on the 2013 Moto X so where does that leave the Droid MAXX? They aren't going to push 5.0.2 without VoLTE support as that would be a backslide in features. However, if they bring 5.1 to the Droid MAXX, it would be a trivial port to the 2013 Moto X.

In short, I don't buy that they did zero work to port VoLTE to Lollipop and were simply waiting for 5.1 to have AOSP support before upgrading to lollipop. Hell, two weeks before the last soak test for the turbo hit, they said that the remainder of their 2014 lineup was getting Lollipop "very soon." I don't see predictions like that being based off an unreleased version by Google.

DoYouHasaRabbit
Oct 8, 2007
So my Nexus 6 came today, thanks Verizon! Enjoying it so far but when I put it on the charger it charges for maybe a few minutes and then stops. I can replug it and it'll go back to charging but again it stops after a few minutes. I think the longest it charged was like 3 minutes. I thought maybe there was an issue with the cable so I used a different cable and still the same thing. Googled it and got a few people who did a factory reset that supposedly fixed it. I tried a factory reset and that didn't seem to work either. Any ideas on this? Would it be a phone issue or a charger issue?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

DoYouHasaRabbit posted:

So my Nexus 6 came today, thanks Verizon! Enjoying it so far but when I put it on the charger it charges for maybe a few minutes and then stops. I can replug it and it'll go back to charging but again it stops after a few minutes. I think the longest it charged was like 3 minutes. I thought maybe there was an issue with the cable so I used a different cable and still the same thing. Googled it and got a few people who did a factory reset that supposedly fixed it. I tried a factory reset and that didn't seem to work either. Any ideas on this? Would it be a phone issue or a charger issue?

Just to be clear, it isn't hitting 100% and then stopping?

DoYouHasaRabbit
Oct 8, 2007

hooah posted:

Just to be clear, it isn't hitting 100% and then stopping?

No the phone came at 30ish%. I saw it was around 20% and put it on the charger. I've gotten it to charge here and there and got it up to 45% so far. It hasn't even reached 100% once yet.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Sounds like its trying to switch to supercharge and failing for some reason.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

It's broken, replace it.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Nexus 6 is noticeably faster on 5.1, this rules.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

CLAM DOWN posted:

Nexus 6 is noticeably faster on 5.1, this rules.

So you get delivery before me and 5.1 before me, what the butt

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
I had major issues with 5.0 on the Nexus 5. It'd slow down, sometimes go unresponsive. It always thought I was in a different state for some reason too. Battery life tanked. Japanese input would crash random apps, or the keyboard itself would crash. Chromecast would freak out a lot - hit play in one app, switch apps to a different chrome cast enabled app, hit play, doesn't load on chrome cast. Etc.

Not sure if it was just me.
But 5.1 seems to fix a lot, so far it's been better.

Regardless of any memory leak, was having to reboot my phone almost every day to keep it responsive on 5.0.

So far, haven't been hit by any noticible wireless issues or memory leak.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Reverse Centaur posted:

So you get delivery before me and 5.1 before me, what the butt

Owned :smug: It's really good though.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Hace posted:

A backup phone/phone for a friend or family member?

That's the obvious answer but most of us know it'll probably just sit in a drawer. It's like buying a Corvette and then they throw in a Chevy Spark for free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003
Amazon is giving away a ton of high quality apps for free from it's appstore again.

http://slickdeals.net/f/7738789-five-nights-at-freddy-s-2-amazon-free-app-of-the-day-more-apps

Of note is this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Mobile-Stream-EasyTether/dp/B004JJR2K4/ref=lp_10076151011_1_13?s=mobile-apps&ie=UTF8&qid=1426775487&sr=1-13

I've used Easy Tether (Google Play version not this version) on several phones/carriers/computers for years on and off with 100% success.

Easy Tether lets you tether to any Windows PC no matter what the carrier tries to do if you use a USB cable. I'd suggest getting this at least and then if you carry a Micro USB->USB cable along with whatever computer you want you can always easily tether (even getting around all tether Paywalls/Carrier lockouts/anything anyone else can try to block you with).

It usually a good to charge (slowly so you don't overheat) your phone while tethering anyway as tethering tends to kill a full battery in just a few hours.