Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

nuru posted:

The problem with Ace attorney is that you have to understand Ace Attorney logic to get anywhere sometimes. You may know the murderer's finger is inside the vase in evidence, but you need to figure out which inconsequential question/press combo will lead the judge to talk about how in his day they wore onions on their belts so that Edgeworth bumps into the vase and shatters it.

It's possible I just hate adventure games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sj7DUuIiWF0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Being a seasoned FE vet, I decided to go at FE:A at Hard difficulty from the start. I don't think I've ever ragequit (more like ragerestart) a game so many times in just a few hours.

The worst so far has been Paralogue 2, which I finished last night. I'm convinced that it's not possible to both save the village and save Anna both. Getting to the village in time requires you to sacrifice your Pegasus rider, because one or both archers will still be there by the time you get there, and the NPC still got killed by the RNG even if I charged directly to her with two fully-loaded cavalry. I even had to start using Frederick (the XP killer, who I hadn't even touched yet for that reason) and rely on some critical hits, and on the axe-wielders to never land a hit on the NPC.

I mean, poo poo, I love a good challenge, but this is brutal. Leveling Donny is going to be like trying to spoon-feed an infant.

vvv gently caress me, really? I've never known FE to not be permadeath. How can you tell whether or not you actually need to save an NPC?

Fryhtaning fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Mar 18, 2015

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Thankfully, you don't have to worry about whether or not your NPC ally will survive that mission, the results are the same either way.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I feel like the earlier missions have some of the hardest parts of Fire Emblem Awakening and you kinda start to breeze through it as your guys get stronger.

Also make sure you're pairing up units

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

iirc the anna in that mission is the only exception

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Help Im Alive posted:

Also make sure you're pairing up units

Yeah pretty much every battle so far would be impossible without. I was expecting it to be some kind of anime dating game, but the strategy behind pairing units is deep.

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSyYps8xJfs
(linking it for the section that starts at 1:24 but the rest of the video is worth it)

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Ive never played any ace attorney games. Is dual destinies a good place to start or do I have to like, start at the beginning...

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

So I finished Codename Steam, I don't know how many people care but I think it's a good game. The biggest problem I had with it though is kind of silly, but it's way way too long. It felt like there was too much filler and by the time I was done I was completely and utterly burnt out of the game and fighting temptation to just look up the ending. I didn't marathon the game (or least I don't think I did) and played a handful of games in the downtime but it just wouldn't stop going and at one point the plot grinds to a absolute halt just to justify a few more maps. When each map is 30-45 minutes you just get tired of the game by the end.

Problem number 2 I had was that there was no real progression I felt. I had a team of 12 characters by the end (14 counting the two amiibos) and once you get them and use them on their tutorial map you've officially seen the complete extent of what to expect from them. There's no leveling up and most of the secondary guns are same-y or super gimmicky so once you build a team your comfy with barring the odd mission or two you won't really feel the need to mix things up a bit and the game's difficulty only escalates due to the AI's cheating becoming more blatent and the game throwing more and more sponge enemies at you. Near the end of the game your squad of 4 will have numerous turrets set on them with a bunch of enemies that run around the field spamming a AOE stun while spawning smaller enemies all while certain tiles hurt you if you end your turn on them. It's so overwhelming and frustrating it's unreal which leads to

Problem number 3. The AI Cheats. The AI Cheats SUPER loving hard and is one of the reasons my fun with STEAM petered out near the end. Early on you'll notice enemies can overwatch spam you to death. I mentioned it earlier in the thread but let's say I'm moving Fleming and I get shot by a enemy overwatch. There's a delay between me being able to quick swap out of characters to avoid more overwatch which leads to the AI shooting you again and again even if you're standing still. This leads to you going from 100% health to 25% left which means you'll die as soon as you end your turn. It's something the devs very clearly didn't think through. The answer though is to take maps extremely slowly and drag them out as long as possible so enemies get stuck in your overwatch but wait, there's more! Later levels start infinitely spawning enemies all over the level for no given reason. Instead of rewarding a player for being careful and being efficient the game will gladly spawn 4 grenade aliens behind you and let them all run over to you and spam grenades on the same turn knocking you into other aliens range. The last few missions gets so bad with this that enemies will literally spawn right on top of you. I've wiped on a mission or two just because I had infinite spawning enemies jump in from out of the map bounds onto my characters square and get two shots in. It's loving bullshit and I have no idea why they thought this was a good idea. There is literally no defending this as it takes all stratagem out of of most of the maps and turns the game into "get to the goal square as fast as possible" instead of a SRPG.

Thing is, all that aside I still consider it a good game. When it isn't being completely frustrating it is fun to see your plans work out and nothing is more satisfying then when you handle difficult situations your own way. The music is great and hell for most of the game I was super pumped to see where it was going next. I know it won't happen but I do hope there's a sequel because so many of these problems can be fixed with a 2.

Now I just need to wait for the OST so I can listen to the games great music.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Ive never played any ace attorney games. Is dual destinies a good place to start or do I have to like, start at the beginning...

Start at the beginning. The trilogy is on the eShop now so there's no reason not to play them first!

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Aside from the Investigations spin-offs which take part after the original trilogy and the AAvLayton thing which is entirely separate, it's an ongoing storyline so you'll probably be pretty lost if you start from the latest one.

That said, AA is a great series. The phrase you're looking for is "do I get to start at the beginning".

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
sell me your two amiiboss

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

For the opposite question, is Dual Destinies worth getting? I'm gonna pick up the trilogy and I'm wondering if I should also grab DD while it's on sale.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Tender Bender posted:

For the opposite question, is Dual Destinies worth getting? I'm gonna pick up the trilogy and I'm wondering if I should also grab DD while it's on sale.

DD owns, make sure you get the DLC to (it takes place after the third trial I believe)

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Tender Bender posted:

It's the best game in the series, so yes.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Tender Bender posted:

Buy all ace attorney games and merchandise

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Hell, an Ace Attorney N3DS faceplate would be the one sort of faceplate I couldn't not buy. Get to it, Nintendo.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

precision posted:

It's the best game in the series, so yes.
Trials & Tribulations > Ace Attorney > Dual Destinies > Justice for All > Edgeworth Investigations > Apollo Justice, imo

e: Layton vs Wright is actually one of the best AA games and is probably in the upper half of this list

Cat Machine fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Mar 18, 2015

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Not going to give it too much thought but from best to least best: Trials and Tribulations > Ace Attorney > Dual Destinies > Apollo Justice > Justice for All > Edgeworth Investigations 1 > Edgeworth Investigations 2, for me.

There's no bad game in the series though.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Zat posted:

True! The gameplay step-ups between each game are minimal too, which is why starting with the first game is always recommended.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Cat Machine posted:

Trials & Tribulations > Ace Attorney > Dual Destinies > Justice for All > Edgeworth Investigations > Apollo Justice, imo

e: Layton vs Wright is actually one of the best AA games and is probably in the upper half of this list

You haven't played AAI2 yet have you.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Zat posted:

Not going to give it too much thought but from best to least best: Trials and Tribulations > Ace Attorney > Dual Destinies > Apollo Justice > Justice for All > Edgeworth Investigations 1 > Edgeworth Investigations 2, for me.

Not gonna lie this is some weird opinion-ing, most people have told me Apollo Justice is terrible (which is why I keep putting off playing it) and Edgeworth Investigations is one of the best ones for me, and I've heard Investigations 2 is even better.

All the games are good though, the main differences in taste I think are just coming from which characters are in which games. If I judged them on characters/story and not gameplay mechanics then yeah the games with Maya in them would be objectively the best, though Athena is great and should get her own game

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Cat Machine posted:

Really? I thought Layton vs Wright was terrible. I couldn't really get into it at all with how easy it is and the fact I didn't like most of the cast.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Every game in the series has a few naysayers and AAI2 is no exception. I was pretty blown away by it on the other hand and really do wrestle with whether I prefer it or Trials & Tribulations. Hell tons of people said something to the effect of Dual Destinies being the worst in the series in the AA thread, no one can really agree. My least favorite is Layton vs. Wright.

So really, just play them all.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Any favourites list where Apollo Justice is not dead last is wrong.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Really? I played Layton vs Wright when it originally launched in Europe, so not many people were chatting about it online and I never got a general consensus on the game. I'm surprised to hear that people thought it was bad - it felt a lot like the original Shu Takumi AA trilogy to me. From what I remember, the courtroom stuff was really fun and played with the series conventions in some interesting ways. The Layton puzzles were a little easy, but I guess that was a concession to AA fans?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I think the only way to claim Layton v. Wright is one of the best Ace Attorney games is to ignore the fact that it's insanely easy and that you'll have very little emotional investment in it unless you played the original trilogy. Also, the last case and the Layton Explains It All ending are really quite awful.

Still worth playing but it doesn't represent the strengths of EITHER franchise, which makes it so much worse because when I first heard "Layton/Phoenix Wright crossover" I almost had a stroke

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Regy Rusty posted:

Start at the beginning. The trilogy is on the eShop now so there's no reason not to play them first!

Oh i didnt realize this, awesome thank you

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I think calling any of them "terrible" is a little overblown (if you like that style of game in the first place, anyway) but there are certainly particular cases that are kind of blah.

I've heard Layton Vs. Wright is really easy to like a comical extent but I haven't played it yet.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Cat Machine posted:

Really? I played Layton vs Wright when it originally launched in Europe, so not many people were chatting about it online and I never got a general consensus on the game. I'm surprised to hear that people thought it was bad - it felt a lot like the original Shu Takumi AA trilogy to me. From what I remember, the courtroom stuff was really fun and played with the series conventions in some interesting ways. The Layton puzzles were a little easy, but I guess that was a concession to AA fans?
Being allowed to only save at checkpoints and the final case in general were completely unacceptable for me at least.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Monkey Fracas posted:

I've heard Layton Vs. Wright is really easy to like a comical extent but I haven't played it yet.

It really is, the cases barely require any input and the Layton puzzles never get harder than Babby's First Layton Puzzle

There's still some good story in there of course, the friendship between Luke and Maya is totally :3:

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

precision posted:

Not gonna lie this is some weird opinion-ing, most people have told me Apollo Justice is terrible (which is why I keep putting off playing it) and Edgeworth Investigations is one of the best ones for me, and I've heard Investigations 2 is even better.

All the games are good though, the main differences in taste I think are just coming from which characters are in which games. If I judged them on characters/story and not gameplay mechanics then yeah the games with Maya in them would be objectively the best, though Athena is great and should get her own game

I just personally liked Apollo Justice's cases and characters (except Apollo himself not so much) and the silly story arc a lot and I think the game could've been even higher on my list. Not sure why the 2 Investigations games didn't work so well for me but I did play them last, soon after Dual Destinies, so maybe I was just a little burnt out by that point.

But like you said and like we all keep saying, all them are good and different enough from each other to be recommended without reservations. Play an Ace Attorney.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Apollo got a lot more interesting in AA5.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I actually like the streamlining of the Investigation phases (traditionally the most boring parts of the AA games) in DD. Pixel hunting and traveling back and forth from room to room presenting things to find that one goddamn thing you failed to present to someone are adventure game staples that can stay buried.

Exioce
Sep 7, 2003

by VideoGames
Is anyone else holding out the ridiculous hope that Nintendo's new account system will recognise the digital purchases you've already made on Wii, Wii U, and 3DS?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Is it worth it getting the trilogy for any reason aside from convenience if I own the physical carts?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Exioce posted:

Is anyone else holding out the ridiculous hope that Nintendo's new account system will recognise the digital purchases you've already made on Wii, Wii U, and 3DS?

I can't imagine why it wouldn't. The NNID already encompasses Wii and DSiWare purchases.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Zat posted:

I just personally liked Apollo Justice's cases and characters (except Apollo himself not so much)

It's like a theme that no matter what, every AA game has better sidekicks than main characters. This even extends to Edgeworth being awesome until he's the main character and then he becomes The Boring One. Apollo's sidekick is Trucy, right? Please tell me there's no creepy stuff with her in the Apollo game :ohdear:

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Case 2 of Apollo Justice is about Trucy's panties

it's not as creepy as it sounds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
If I downloaded DLC for a game, and then decide to upgrade to a bigger MicroSD card, how does the DLC transfer? Would I just have to download it again, or transfer it somehow?