Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
Has anyone ever made a bus route, deleted it and the game says that it is still there and it is incomplete? I get a warning about it constantly, and the bus stop is still there but there is no route there. Can't get rid of the bus stop and I can't add a line onto it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

RBA Starblade posted:

Do custom-made maps count as mods for purposes of achievements? I guess I don't really care either way but I like using them to track my progress through a game.

You can get a mod that makes it so achievements will activate while using mods.

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Welp game crashes when I build a water pump and somehow loses my save files, making it impossible to load a saved game. They're just simply not there.

At least I only lost an hour. Gaaaah knew it was to good to be true.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

Zeno-25 posted:

Welp game crashes when I build a water pump and somehow loses my save files, making it impossible to load a saved game. They're just simply not there.

At least I only lost an hour. Gaaaah knew it was to good to be true.

I had a save game randomly disappear and I can't find it. I had like 4-6 hours into that game :(

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Wow, that sucks. Did you guys click the "use cloud" option? Maybe that is the cause of the problem (or, alternatively, a protection against it).

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Wow, that sucks. Did you guys click the "use cloud" option? Maybe that is the cause of the problem (or, alternatively, a protection against it).

Nope did not click that button. I saved the game. Went to the main menu was looking at some things and then my game/pc crashed. Went back to play it the next morning and it was gone.

I was using a custom map (Berlin) so who knows if it is related to that. Sort of scared to use custom maps now.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*

RBA Starblade posted:

Do custom-made maps count as mods for purposes of achievements? I guess I don't really care either way but I like using them to track my progress through a game.

They don't. Only things in the "mods" menu of the content manager do.

Tytan
Sep 17, 2011

u wot m8?
So this game came out like a week before my birthday, and naturally went to the top of my Steam wishlist... so yeah, been playing for the last couple of hours. No idea what I'm doing, right now I'm just enjoying making pretty suburbs* :unsmith:

* and terrible intersections

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Reason posted:

If this isn't just a joke, link?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Slashrat posted:

If this isn't just a joke, link?

Mod Achievement Enabler

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I saved twice, once with the cloud and once without. Can't see anything to load in the saved games menu.

This seriously blows, I can't play this game if I can't save. Not a very good first impression, Colossal Order. Guess I'll spend my morning Googling around for a fix instead of playing the game.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Fishbus posted:

I currently tried my hand in making a map, called Skye. Initially it used the topography data of the island itself but took a while to make actual decent areas to build on and expand to.

If you like, small, hilly spaces with interesting natural features then you may like to try the map: Workshop Link

Cool! :)

I'm trying to import at the moment Edinburgh. Glasgow doesn't seem to work out that well - too low I reckon, but Edinburgh has fairly obvious properties like Arthur's Seat that mean the terrain map grabs it better. I'll need to play about with it and see what I can do.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

cthulhoo posted:

This is basically a grid, though. It's just there's a lot of it.

I designed it to look like a generic southern California city. It's not quite a total grid, as in a lot of places the terrain is hilly enough that the roads end up being windy messes, but I still think I managed to capture the look of LA's bloated sprawl fairly well.

Orgophlax posted:

FYI, the Hide UI mod is redundant. Just click the little camera button at the lower right, and that'll hide the UI.

I use hide UI to hide the UI in first person mode, otherwise I just use the camera in the lower right. I'm aware that I could hit the camera, then first person, but I think it's easier being able to just switch between no UI and UI with a toggle.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Unsurprisingly, some of the old guard of SC4 are continuing to publish their mods as exclusives for Simtropolis and other websites, keeping them off the workshop.

It begins.

Edit:

This isn't working for me, so there's at least some mods it's incompatible with. I'm running 25 tiles unlocked, a 'realistic speed' mod, and a 'no despawn', and a few other window dressing mods and it just isn't working.

PoizenJam fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Mar 18, 2015

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

How do unlocks work? I remember hearing that some were cross-save, but what are?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Here my stupid city, I finally broke 100k pop. The skyline looks like a city of many million to me anyways. Reminds me a bit of Toyko or a glassier Sao Paolo. Just a sort of even spread of skyscrapers of similar height and design... oh well.

Pedestrian paths really get used.

I'm fairly happy with this "City Hall"

One of two roundabouts in the city, this was my initial highway stub. There are two metro stations here so the area is always a swarm of peds.

On the left is the tourist train station and main freight line, on the right is a local rail loop I made, mostly for fun but people do use it.

Well, that's my boring mostly a grid city. But almost no highway use.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Mar 18, 2015

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

Poizen Jam posted:

Unsurprisingly, some of the old guard of SC4 are continuing to publish their mods as exclusives for Simtropolis and other websites, keeping them off the workshop.

I'm sure they'll find a way to somehow add dependencies into equation.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

Baronjutter posted:

Here my stupid city, I finally broke 100k pop. The skyline looks like a city of many million to me anyways. Reminds me a bit of Toyko or a glassier Sao Paolo. Just a sort of even spread of skyscrapers of similar height and design... oh well.

You should run the 'fudged population' mod if this bugs you- this game has the complete opposite problem SC4 had when it comes to population estimates. In SC4 we contend with 25 people living in a single tile house, in Cities Skylines we have residential skyscrapers with a couple hundred residents.

cthulhoo posted:

I'm sure they'll find a way to somehow add dependencies into equation.

I'd say 'don't give them any ideas' but it seems like the mod community on those sites will do everything to make their mods labyrinthian and convoluted so they're probably working on this as we speak.

Seriously guys, it's 2015 and most of us have broadband. We don't need millions of micro-downloads anymore.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Yeah, the pop fudger is ok. Of course, it fudges my 22k city to 164k and that still looks kinda small. :v:

Poizen Jam posted:

Edit:

This isn't working for me, so there's at least some mods it's incompatible with. I'm running 25 tiles unlocked, a 'realistic speed' mod, and a 'no despawn', and a few other window dressing mods and it just isn't working.

Dumb question, but you turned it on, right? And that is weird. It works for me. But I'm not suing the three mods you list there.

Also, the SC4 grogs not wanting to use the workshop doesn't surprise me. I just hope they don't put out anything of real value like NAM and refuse to put it on the workshop.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
I did turn it on. All my save games have a little cross through the trophy now because it just didn't work :(

I'm not the only one, plenty of folks on the workshop page for the mod are having similar issues.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Try starting a new map? [edit] Oh well, if others are having trouble then I don't know. SAM? :v:

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

Poizen Jam posted:

Seriously guys, it's 2015 and most of us have broadband. We don't need millions of micro-downloads anymore.

Who cares though, I only bothered with that shitpile of a grognard "community" because there was no alternative. Now it's workshop all the way, anything else might as well not exist as far as I'm concerned. :fuckoff:

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
I'm just conflicted because they have a Los Pollos Hermanos and a bunch of NY style W2W tenements created and I don't want to legitimize that wretched community's approach to Cities.

So yes I'm just whining :v:

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Try starting a new map? [edit] Oh well, if others are having trouble then I don't know. SAM? :v:

SAM?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Steam Achievement Manager, at least for the more obvious achievements. Not entirely a serious suggestion, sorry. :shobon:

Also, has anyone tried asking why they don't want to use the steam workshop? At the very least it'd probably be entertaining to laugh at their reasoning.

Freakus
Oct 21, 2000

Noyemi K posted:

It would, but I'd also like to reduce the ground pollution on it. Oh well :shrug:
Silicon Valley would like to have a word with you about high tech industry and pollution. (Palo Alto is built on a superfund site because of HP).

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
When people post pictures of cool looking cities, could they also attach a traffic map? I want to see just how good/terrible I'm doing in comparison.

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)
Oh hey! One of my mods got put on TotallyMoo's mod collection thing. Truly, I have made it with my code template and three lines of original code.

(okay, there's extra code because of display differences in aspect ratio. Who the hell still uses a 4:3 monitor?!)

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

Poizen Jam posted:

I did turn it on. All my save games have a little cross through the trophy now because it just didn't work :(

I'm not the only one, plenty of folks on the workshop page for the mod are having similar issues.

You will still get the cross through the trophy, but achievements are enabled.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Alakaiser posted:

Oh hey! One of my mods got put on TotallyMoo's mod collection thing. Truly, I have made it with my code template and three lines of original code.

(okay, there's extra code because of display differences in aspect ratio. Who the hell still uses a 4:3 monitor?!)

I hope you got a license agreement in there too because MODDERS RIGHTS. People can't just distribute your mod, that's gonna erode your adfly profits. :qq:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Alakaiser posted:

Sometimes I use a 4:3 window so I can shove things beside it?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Reason posted:

Of course this exists. :v:

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)

MikeJF posted:

Sometimes I use a 4:3 window so I can shove things beside it?

Fair enough! I'm sure there's plenty of people out there using those Dell monitors that are in basically every public place ever, too.

xzzy posted:

I hope you got a license agreement in there too because MODDERS RIGHTS. People can't just distribute your mod, that's gonna erode your adfly profits. :qq:

This is literally the first code I've ever published - I'm not a coder by trade and am slowly building up knowledge based on what I learned from ZZT as a kid and some Javascript I picked up a few years ago. I just googled adfly - is that seriously a thing? :cripes:

(who am I kidding of course it's a thing)

Diviance
Feb 11, 2004

Television rules the nation.

Zeno-25 posted:

I saved twice, once with the cloud and once without. Can't see anything to load in the saved games menu.

This seriously blows, I can't play this game if I can't save. Not a very good first impression, Colossal Order. Guess I'll spend my morning Googling around for a fix instead of playing the game.

You could try using Gamesave Manager to automatically backup your saves while you play or something, worse comes to worse.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

cthulhoo posted:

Who cares though, I only bothered with that shitpile of a grognard "community" because there was no alternative. Now it's workshop all the way, anything else might as well not exist as far as I'm concerned. :fuckoff:

This. If I can't get the mod in two clicks from workshop I simply don't care that it even exists. Doesn't matter how good it is.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Poizen Jam posted:

It begins.
Wouldn't it be a shame if someone were to download their mods and upload them to the workshop? Just saying. :shrug:

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

PT6A posted:

When people post pictures of cool looking cities, could they also attach a traffic map? I want to see just how good/terrible I'm doing in comparison.

It's worth noting that a red area on the traffic map isn't "Bad" it just means high traffic. As long as the traffic is moving through it fairly quickly it's not a problem. The roads between my docks and Cargo Trains are always bright red, but the trucks don't stop moving. Check the red areas, but you don't have to eliminate them completely.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

PT6A posted:

Traffic maps are questionable as benchmarks because a red intersection can mean anywhere from a popular but well designed aspect of a thoroughfare, to traffic hell on earth.

Based on discussions and close up shots, I'd expect if you can keep traffic from disappearing in grid lock you are in the upper quartile of sick noscope road designers.

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

Yeah it would be strange for roads to be perma-clear in an active city. If poo poo actually gets done reasonably fast, it is working as intended.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Does anyone know of any car park mods that, you know, the creators didn't make massive tourist attractions for some reason?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah this round-about is my most busy intersection, but it never gets jammed, never more than a block's worth of cars lined up. Certainly never any vanishing cars. It's red but it flows.