Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(

krooj posted:

Seems like that little CPU in the new MacBook is quite impressive for 4.5W: http://anandtech.com/show/9061/lenovo-yoga-3-pro-review/4

As someone who will probably buy the new MacBook as long as it's not slow doing everyday tasks (basically: the internet), this is encouraging to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

grahm posted:

As someone who will probably buy the new MacBook as long as it's not slow doing everyday tasks (basically: the internet), this is encouraging to me.

You don't need a £1000 netbook for that.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

ijyt posted:

You don't *need* three-ply toilet paper, but luxury once tasted becomes necessity.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(

ijyt posted:

Totally true. I use my iPad for probably 70% of my total computer usage (and love the display, low weight, long battery, etc), but no physical keyboard and constantly-reloading Safari tabs drives me to my 2011 MBP for the rest. This seems like the best of both worlds for me.

It is expensive but new technology always is. I imagine it'll follow the progression of the Macbook Air both in power gains and lower pricing, and eventually become the computer that you think of when you think of a normal Apple notebook.

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

Pivo posted:

You don't *need* three-ply toilet paper, but luxury once tasted becomes necessity.

One my reasons for buying BPA-free piss jugs.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
Well someone in the software thread pointed out the warranty extension for the GPU issues that my 2011 MBP has. I need to keep working on something so I went out and splurged on a 27" 5k iMac. Turns out though, my friend who still work sat apple is going to figure out a way to get me his company discount so I am going to return it when one arrives with the 4GB VRAM.
I just couldn't bring myself to buy another laptop with the 15" model being so stale and old at this point. I work from home and the small screen just won't cut it. So my plan is get settled into the new iMac and get my little home office setup with a desk and then I'll get the MBP repaired hopefully and when a new model comes out I'll decide. The current lineup of laptops just does nothing for me, but this 5k iMac is going to be sweet for doing photo editing, playing games, and working.

The good thing is that I am single with no kids, and the only debt I have is my car loan which I have no trouble paying off. So Apple gets half my paycheck this month between this unplanned purchase of a computer and the iPad I just bought a couple weeks ago.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

you are my new favourite Mac thread person

"i was gonna get my 4 year old computer fixed for free, but instead i dropped 3 grand on the flagship"

YOLO amirite?

i like you. enjoy your thing. it's pretty.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Pivo posted:

"i was gonna get my 4 year old computer fixed for free, but instead i dropped 3 grand on the flagship"

YOLO amirite?

That's pretty much appleconsumer.txt in a nutshell.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Pivo posted:

YOLO amirite?

Pivo you are literally the shittiest and most worthless white noise distraction of a poster this thread has ever seen

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
We are getting a few new 5k iMacs with i7s and SSDs at work and I am pretty much drooling at the thought.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Im in a weird spot in that I feel like I want to get a rMBP, but then I have an iPad for all my remote stuff, so getting a laptop seems dumb and I should just get the 5k iMac to replace my aging 2011 27"

Mac price points are really frustrating. I dont fit into any of the pre-baked rMBPs well, and the new macbook pro is about the right price for the spec I want but no ports and not sure if its enough power.

Maybe I should just take up my boss on the Free X1 Carbon offer :(

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

pzy posted:

We are getting a few new 5k iMacs with i7s and SSDs at work and I am pretty much drooling at the thought.
They are very nice computers and I greatly enjoying having a desktop sized retina screen. For JHVH-1 since he asked, it's even quite passable for games in bootcamp if you scale them back to 'normal' 27" resolution.

Trip report for the new 13" Pro compared to my Haswell 15" as requested by someone in the last few pages (I forget who, sorry):
  • It's a bit lighter but not really all that noticeable. Mostly an improvement in portability due to the size difference
  • Force touch trackpad is weird and it's going to take me a bit to adjust to getting a second 'click' when pressing down hard
  • Had no problems running a single VM alongside my normal programs. The UI started to stutter a bit with 2 (mostly transitions between spaces) but it's still pretty useable
  • Considerably better battery life

All in all, about what I expected but I'm quite pleased that I can still run a couple of VMs alongside the other stuff without it lagging much.

Mercurius fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Mar 18, 2015

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

The 5k iMac certainly has advantages over the 2011 model, but the performance gap really isn't a huge deal from what I've experienced, comparing both years' maxed out options.

I wonder if Apple is ever gonna bring back the 17" MacBook Pro, with the new retina form factor it'd be light as hell and you could probably slap on additional Thunderbolt and USB-C ports.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

1st AD posted:

The 5k iMac certainly has advantages over the 2011 model, but the performance gap really isn't a huge deal from what I've experienced, comparing both years' maxed out options.

I wonder if Apple is ever gonna bring back the 17" MacBook Pro, with the new retina form factor it'd be light as hell and you could probably slap on additional Thunderbolt and USB-C ports.
I can't speak for others but I know I didn't consider the 5K iMac's performance as the primary deciding factor for getting one. I'm pretty sure I'm not alone in purchasing the iMac pretty much entirely because it had a HiDPI 27" screen. The fact that the performance is halfway reasonable is a nice bonus but the main attraction is the clarity of a HiDPI screen paired with an operating system that can properly take advantage of it.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Pivo posted:

YOLO amirite?

I don't think you understand. If I take the laptop in to get fixed, I won't have a machine to work on. I started working from home in September and didn't buy a dedicated work laptop because the options sucked and I wasn't having any hardware issues at the moment.

I will get the iMac set up, have an actual desktop going and then get the laptop fixed.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Some AASPs have loaners but I wasn't judging you, I actually think it's funny. I've done the same thing in the past, just throw money at a problem. It's nice to have a 'backup', especially when it's the big iMac.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Pivo posted:

Some AASPs have loaners but I wasn't judging you, I actually think it's funny. I've done the same thing in the past, just throw money at a problem. It's nice to have a 'backup', especially when it's the big iMac.

Yeah its kinda silly. I only get $1k allowance for hardware through work. Didn't want to buy a cheaper machine I know I wouldn't be happy with long term. So their Pro model lineup is all fragmented now and I end up getting an iMac because its the only thing that felt like I was getting value for the money but I am spending a buttload. When I started the job I was thinking of getting a laptop that would be more for work, but the 15" options sucked so I was thinking of eventually doing a windows gaming pc setup to have as back up but never got around to it.

In the past I would get applecare on my laptop, use the heck out of it and carry it everywhere till it was out of warranty. Then I would wait for it to die and get the top of the line to replace it. The past 4 years the main improvement has been in the display technology which hardly seems like getting a whole new machine for. At least the iMac has better graphics, can shove more RAM in it and get that huge screen.

Its a weird feeling being annoyed you have to buy such a nice looking machine.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

JHVH-1 posted:

The past 4 years the main improvement has been in the display technology which hardly seems like getting a whole new machine for.

You say that, but....

That 5k screen is gonna ruin you for other displays. You'll have a rMBP/MacBook soon enough.

Also- there have been a ton of huge, very palpable improvements to the MBP since 2011 besides "display technology." Were the huge gains in storage speed, battery life, and size/weight not enough?

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Also- there have been a ton of huge, very palpable improvements to the MBP since 2011 besides "display technology." Were the huge gains in storage speed, battery life, and size/weight not enough?

Not in my case. I usually craigslist shuffle my Mac every two years, but I looked at the lineup last summer and compared it to my 2012 MBP non-retina with SSD/optibay and went "meh." Lighter weight doesn't matter to me since this laptop is light enough, more battery life doesn't matter to me since this laptop has plenty, and I already have an SSD. When there's a large enough performance jump, I'll upgrade.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Electric Bugaloo posted:

You say that, but....

That 5k screen is gonna ruin you for other displays. You'll have a rMBP/MacBook soon enough.

Honestly, I haven't been toting it around too much so its been more of a desktop replacement. I upgraded the drive to an SSD and got the kit to move the platter drive to the optical slot so disk performance has been more than adequate. The 8GB of after market RAM I put in it, along with the 1GB VRAM option make it capable enough for most things.

Of course they are bound to upgrade the 15" models within the next year and I might end up getting one for the times when I am traveling and want to work there instead of using vacation days.

^^^^Ah see, I knew I wasn't the only one.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

the new macbook has hosed me over. I was waiting for a retina air but now this has come out and i dont know if i should get an air or the mac book. i need ports but non-retina... argh.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm just holding out for Broadwell on the 15" rmbp, myself.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

sensible me says get an airbook and wait a year or so and see if a faster macbook with wireless charing appears... but space grey now! life is so hard.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

fleshweasel posted:

I'm just holding out for Broadwell on the 15" rmbp, myself.

mbps are too heavy for me. I was in an apple store today confirming this cos other htan that they're such great computers.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

opus111 posted:

sensible me says get an airbook and wait a year or so and see if a faster macbook with wireless charing appears... but space grey now! life is so hard.

Wireless charging would be less useable than a power cord though.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Electric Bugaloo posted:

You say that, but....

Well he was responding to my post, and when it comes to a maxed out 2011 iMac and maxed out Retina iMac, the differences are a lot less pronounced than if we were comparing same year MacBook Pros.

opus111 posted:

mbps are too heavy for me. I was in an apple store today confirming this cos other htan that they're such great computers.

:wtc:

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

opus111 posted:

the new macbook has hosed me over. I was waiting for a retina air but now this has come out and i dont know if i should get an air or the mac book. i need ports but non-retina... argh.

No reason to buy an air when the 13" rMBP is as light as it is. I made this comparison a few pages ago but in terms of portability everything I did with my 11" MBA I do with my 13" rMBP.

edit: Oh if the MBP is too heavy for you then you cant be helped.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

JHVH-1 posted:

Honestly, I haven't been toting it around too much so its been more of a desktop replacement. I upgraded the drive to an SSD and got the kit to move the platter drive to the optical slot so disk performance has been more than adequate. The 8GB of after market RAM I put in it, along with the 1GB VRAM option make it capable enough for most things.

Of course they are bound to upgrade the 15" models within the next year and I might end up getting one for the times when I am traveling and want to work there instead of using vacation days.

^^^^Ah see, I knew I wasn't the only one.

If ever needed, that 15" could probably be upgraded to 16 GB of RAM too. Officially it supports 8 but unofficially it's 16 and I haven't seen any 2011s have any issues with 16 GB of quality RAM.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

opus111 posted:

I would guess a 13-14" MacBook would come out in the same design as the 11 or 12 or whatever that thing is.

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

I would guess a 13-14" MacBook would come out in the same design as the 11 or 12 or whatever that thing is.

That raises an interesting question about the '15 refresh coming this fall. I can't help but think the current Air just goes away, replaced by a refreshed 13" rMBP that's "slimmer." The 11" Air with it's current display is gutter trash at this point.

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET

opus111 posted:

The new retina MacBook is just a retina MacBook Air with the now-superfluous Air distinction removed from its branding.

The "Air" distinction was made in a time where MacBooks were still a thing, but in the last few years they've stopped selling MacBooks and have made the MacBook Air their entry-level notebook instead. I wouldn't be surprised if Apple only upgraded the Air and are continuing to sell it simply because they know some people wouldn't be ready to make the switch, like how they still sell non-retina MacBook Pros.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Triglav posted:

The new retina MacBook is just a retina MacBook Air with the now-superfluous Air distinction removed from its branding.

The "Air" distinction was made in a time where MacBooks were still a thing, but in the last few years they've stopped selling MacBooks and have made the MacBook Air their entry-level notebook instead. I wouldn't be surprised if Apple only upgraded the Air and are continuing to sell it simply because they know some people wouldn't be ready to make the switch, like how they still sell non-retina MacBook Pros.

The biggest problem is that the simulated resolution (the amount of space you have to work in) is super small, near the point of being unusable. The 13" MBPR is below the point of comfort, but the new 'Air' is below even that.

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

I agree. It's effectively 1152×720. I might get it, but I want to play with scaling it up a little in store first and wait for day-one buyers to post about it.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

enMTW posted:

The biggest problem is that the simulated resolution (the amount of space you have to work in) is super small, near the point of being unusable. The 13" MBPR is below the point of comfort, but the new 'Air' is below even that.

An homage to the 1024x768 of the 12" Powerbook. The first true portable!

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

enMTW posted:

You can change the scaling though and get more space without it looking bad, it's one of the great things about the retina screens.

I've been running my 13" rMBP at the equivalent of 1440x900 so it effectively has the same amount of screen real estate as a 13" MBA (which is at about the DPI limit of what I can deal with due to my lovely eyesight).

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Mercurius posted:

You can change the scaling though and get more space without it looking bad, it's one of the great things about the retina screens.

I've been running my 13" rMBP at the equivalent of 1440x900 so it effectively has the same amount of screen real estate as a 13" MBA (which is at about the DPI limit of what I can deal with due to my lovely eyesight).

That looks like poo poo, even on a Retina screen. Less like poo poo, but still pretty bad.

I don't want to pay $1,299 to make DPI compromises.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Triglav posted:

They just brought the Air branding to the iPad, I doubt they get rid of it.

And getting rid of the Air line brings the minimum buy-in for a Mac laptop to $1300.

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

They just brought the Air branding to the iPad, I doubt they get rid of it.

And getting rid of the Air line brings the minimum buy-in for a Mac laptop to $1300.

I'm more saying that since the Air became the standard MacBook, before this most recent refresh, and was no longer simply a distinction, its inclusion in the branding is unnecessary, especially now after a form-factor change. Honestly, a name is just a name. If you want a lightweight retina-screened laptop, Apple now sells one. It's called the MacBook.

I've never really seen Apple as a company to just keep appending unnecessary brand titles onto things. I would expect that after a few years of only releasing iPad Airs, they'll drop the Air title there too.

Also, economies of scale kick up and prices go down. That's tech. Everything starts pricey and then gets cheaper. The MacBook Air started at $1,800 in 2008 ($1,950 in 2015 dollars). If you're unsure of the new form factor and still want the old one, they still sell it, like how they still also sell non-retina MacBook Pros. If you never want to leave the Air form factor, you can keep your Air forever.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
I got tired of waiting for my company to get retina iMacs in, so I had them special order me one to replace my workstation. Just got it in recently, and, man, is this thing gorgeous. I think I'm pretty much ruined for regular desktop displays now. It's maybe a bit more sluggish than my late 2013 rMBP (even after a CPU and RAM bump; didn't think to get a VRAM bump until it was too late, though), but that's barely noticeable, and I have so much more space to work in than I did before, even with dual monitors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
I've run my rmbps since the first generation at the maximum scaled resolution and it's looked great to me the whole time. The only issues were with certain apps like Firefox that did weird poo poo with icons that didn't scale correctly but even that was fixed within months of release.