Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I'm rewatching the first few episodes again, and can we please just get the Fumina from episode 1 back? The one who gives no fucks and strong-arms Sekai into joining her club and then ties him to a chair just so she can go to the tournament because she wants to beat everyone. She was cool. :(

Holy poo poo, I just figured out what's going on with this show. The characters are all really watered down, lovely versions of the characters from Robotics;Notes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sunburnedcrow
Dec 17, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

Time to try and guess what they're going to call season 2

Build Fighters Tri.

I will send myself out.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

TARDISman posted:

gently caress you kid, you can't say that until your theme has at least twice the passion of ordinary flamenco.

I still want Turn-Amazing Gundam. Maybe next season. :sigh:

Can't say I didn't expect this episode, just doesn't feel like it was making as much of an impact as they wanted. Nice that they at least recognized some of the other characters, I guess.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Yuuma and Sakai interacting continue to be the best thing going.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
The show needed a couple of more episodes like this imo

boxing dude having a crush on gyanko was good as well

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I like how they're still trying to make out that Fuuma and the other girl are rivals despite having spoken like, once. Maybe.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I don't feel like checking, but I could have sworn the Portent was headbutting with the Try Burning. Though it may have been Kijima's and I'm getting confused by Gundam sameface.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Sakurazuka posted:

I like how they're still trying to make out that Fuuma and the other girl are rivals despite having spoken like, once. Maybe.

If Build Fighters Try was a parody series, Fuuma and Shia's rivalry would be a pretty good joke.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Level Slide posted:

I don't feel like checking, but I could have sworn the Portent was headbutting with the Try Burning. Though it may have been Kijima's and I'm getting confused by Gundam sameface.

Maybe they'll have an actual team fight and not instantly split off into 1v1s. :unsmith:

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Maybe they'll have an actual team fight and not instantly split off into 1v1s. :unsmith:

1v1s with not their designated rivals woyld be interesting and might throw celestial sphere for a loop.

Overall this kind of felt like an "Oh yeah, characters should have motivations" episode, and they're totally setting up for another season, hopefully more centered on Fumina training under Lady for the open tournament. Or they could just never follow up on that at all, I guess.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

chumbler posted:

1v1s with not their designated rivals woyld be interesting and might throw celestial sphere for a loop.

Overall this kind of felt like an "Oh yeah, characters should have motivations" episode, and they're totally setting up for another season, hopefully more centered on Fumina training under Lady for the open tournament. Or they could just never follow up on that at all, I guess.

The end of Season 2 will be Reiji rushing into the room Doc Brown style and taking all of them to his home planet where they are desperately needed for an emergency Gunpla adventure.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

That might be the only thing that could save Try right now.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

That might be the only thing that could save Try right now.

A 1/1 Hi Mock rampaging through downtown Arian.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
That brings up a good point, is anything going to happen? There's two episodes left, so it seems like something should happen. They aren't really going to just do the final round and then like, I dunno, a bit of character stuff to end the series, right?

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

I want them to not actually show the final battle. Instead, I want it to be on a TV in the corner of a karaoke bar Sei and Meijin are at. The final two episodes will be them practicing English trying to sing Total Eclipse of the Heart and then later White Reflection at crowd request.

After the credits roll Tryon 3 gets its own series.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Pureauthor posted:

Yuuma and Sakai interacting continue to be the best thing going.

I'm pretty sure they've forgotten by now that Mirai was supposed to be Yuuma's love interest.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

Yeah. They've spoken to each other all of what, once? Maybe twice? And never for more than two sentences. It makes zero sense.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I still think try is okay, but holy poo poo sunrise, drop the 3 v 3 thing if you make another series.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Monaghan posted:

I still think try is okay, but holy poo poo sunrise, drop the 3 v 3 thing if you make another series.

I think just because the writers are really bad and can't figure out how to make teamwork work doesn't mean nobody should try it ever again.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Mar 18, 2015

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Meanwhile, G-Reco has had a whole string of neat group battles with quirky, individual machines, and doesn't have an obviously higher budget despite being pretty as hell. This definitely seems like a talent shortfall at work.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I think somebody should sit them down and make them play online team games, which is the niche gunpla battle fills in its own world.

A game of counterstrike has a natural tension and back and forth as teams pressure each other and lose members, and there's nothing as exciting as a team about to lose it all, down to one member, coming back with an incredible ace clutch victory or sneak bomb plant.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Chihayafuru even made team battles interesting in a game that is ostensibly 1 v 1. Chihayafuru has a really strong cast of characters on all sides to back it up though.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Maybe GBF original was a fluke.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Level Slide posted:

It does seem like they had way more time to prepare for the story in GBF. I'm guessing everyone was surprised by the success of season 1 and bandai demanded more of it ASAP.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

nuru posted:

I want them to not actually show the final battle. Instead, I want it to be on a TV in the corner of a karaoke bar Sei and Meijin are at. The final two episodes will be them practicing English trying to sing Total Eclipse of the Heart and then later White Reflection at crowd request.

After the credits roll Tryon 3 gets its own series.

We can dream.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Level Slide posted:

GBF felt like the writers got a lot of freedom in what they could write about and how. GBFT feels like there are too many hands in the kitchen and too many execs throwing in what they think is best.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Level Slide posted:

Season 1 had the advantage of following up AGE, which was a massive disappointment in nearly every aspect (some of the units looked cool, I'll admit). On top of this, placing the model kits in the starring roles had not done as well before when Sunrise tried Gunpla Builders. So, I think a lot of people thought (myself included), "Well, it can't possibly get any worse than AGE did", and went in with very low expectations of GBF. As a result, season 1 managed to surprise everyone and ultimately turned into not only a giant love letter to the Gundam franchise, but a good show as well because it was such a breath of fresh air.

Try's big issue is that it had the hype and success of season 1 backing it up, leading to elevated expectations from fans. On top of this, Sunrise just cannot resist meddling in sequels/season 2s because they really want to hold onto the success of the first season. As a result, our expectations have been dashed and left us with disappointment. Try has suffered from just plain sloppy writing (Assimilation is so poorly defined and implemented, characters are flat, fights are not as entertaining as season 1), what seems to be a big rewrite of the second half of the show, and most importantly, an unhealthy emphasis on "tell the audience about a certain character/topic" instead of "show the audience why the need to be invested in this certain character/topic". There are so many things in Try that the audience knows about because we were told about them, but very few were shown to us without the dialogue having to stress "Please like this unit/character/plot point because we told you to" or "Please take this character/unit/plot point seriously because we told you to". If anything, I am surprised that the results of SEED Destiny and 00 S2 did not hammer home to Sunrise that they should not meddle in sequels/second seasons because they often make things worse. I only hope that Try is that final slap to the face that makes Sunrise realize that upper management does just as much damage to a show as a weak script or a bad director does.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I hear all this stuff about meddling, but the only thing that I can remember being confirmed is the 3 versus 3 stuff and maybe a short production schedule.

Seriously, we have no loving idea at this point as to who contributed what idea to the show, so just blaming "executives" all the time seems dumb.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
Out of stuff actually in the show that weakens things, and to tie back to some earlier posts in the thread, I'd say part of it feels like the show is less enthusiastic to geek out about the Gundam side of things. Like, whenever Sei geeked out about something in the original series, it typically came with a short reference to either the series it came from, the suit's most notable gimmicks, or both. Someone who was a non-fan could be made to 'get' things even if they'd never watched the specific series in question. The closest point of comparison I can give is when I recommended Akibranger to a friend of mine. He'd never seen a single sentai series before, only power rangers, but the small references and explanations that came with them meant he found the series freaking hilarious in spite of that.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Too much fight, not enough build IMO

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Level Slide posted:

Too much build, not enough Gundam.

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

Level Slide posted:

this actually sums up my issue with the show as well, It's pretty good and fun to watch. There's just not enough geeking out over gundam stuff, and I miss the building montages and such.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I don't know. AGE went to poo poo because it was too much Gundam, not enough Level-5.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Level Slide posted:

I don't know. AGE went to poo poo because it was too much Gundam, not enough Level-5.

I don't really agree honestly.

AGE's biggest problems are that it is written like a (bad) JRPG sprinkled with Gundam tropes, but the JRPG elements are a big part of why the writing sucks because it is basically written like a video game. Level 5's other shows have this problem too. (Danball is really bad about it.) It just stands out less when it's a show about wacky shonen soccer players.

AGE's writing problems are kind of trademark Level 5, aside from the shoehorned-in Gundam elements which are far from the worst of its problems. Vagan Gear Sid and it's out-of-nowhere Final Bossness is pure Level 5 for example.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Oh hey, Sekai finally made the realization I wanted him to make like twenty episodes ago. Great.

We're near the end of this show, and I'm kind of sad about just how little I care. :smith:

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

"Why do you keep writing about other gundam shows? 12 year-olds can't afford blu-rays and they don't need to know the source to think the toy looks cool! Cut all this stuff and put in more punching."

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

They are kinda terrible at foreshadowing, if they even bother, too. Makes it feel like they haven't planned out anything in detail beyond the next 5 episodes, tops.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Pimpmust posted:

They are kinda terrible at foreshadowing, if they even bother, too. Makes it feel like they haven't planned out anything in detail beyond the next 5 episodes, tops.
That would be kind of hilarious in a way. The executive meddling was so bad, that in order to escape it, they cut out all future plans at all and just made it up as they went.

I think finding out something like that would actually kind of redeem the series for me. (And would also explain the first half's uncanny knack for answering the fandom's biggest complaints just one or two episodes after they pop up.)

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Sharkopath posted:

I think somebody should sit them down and make them play online team games, which is the niche gunpla battle fills in its own world.

A game of counterstrike has a natural tension and back and forth as teams pressure each other and lose members, and there's nothing as exciting as a team about to lose it all, down to one member, coming back with an incredible ace clutch victory or sneak bomb plant.

People can and will joke about esports but it would really work as a great model for a team battle format.

Just a diet of that and some sports anime featuring teamwork could have gone a long way towards showing how the format can excel.

Monaghan posted:

I hear all this stuff about meddling, but the only thing that I can remember being confirmed is the 3 versus 3 stuff and maybe a short production schedule.

Seriously, we have no loving idea at this point as to who contributed what idea to the show, so just blaming "executives" all the time seems dumb.

Yeah, shows fail to perform for any number of reasons. Considering how deeply entrenched some of the problems are and that the first season had meddling but didn't suffer because of it, unless there is any evidence out there saying otherwise I'm sure that the creative side of the production is to blame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I could see the executives telling them to use specific character archetypes, even though that's quite a stretch considering they'd presumably care more about selling gunpla, but there is nothing inherently bad with the archetypes they went with. Just in how they were written.

• Locked thread