Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

What content are you displaying? Those modulators are a really good way of making a mini TV network inside your office, but not so great if what you actually want is digital signage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Chromecasts?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Thanks Ants posted:

What content are you displaying? Those modulators are a really good way of making a mini TV network inside your office, but not so great if what you actually want is digital signage.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing.

They make amplified splitters, and for long runs you use an HDMI splitter that allows you to put the HDMI signal over Cat 5e/6 cabling.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

Zero VGS posted:

If I want to display a single HDMI 1080p output from a laptop on like, 20 televisions across a few floors of the office, what is the best bet for that? One of these HDMI to Coax modulator thingies?: http://www.wiredathome.com/commercial-av-products/qam-modulators/pvi-vecoax-pro2-hd-dual-channel-rack-mount-hd-digital-rf-modulator/

http://svsiav.com/

moosepoop
Mar 9, 2007

GET SWOLE
This ticket was cute: "phone broken, I want a new one".

Luckily for this user I have a stash of old immortal Nokias :v:

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Thanks Ants posted:

I am doing a mini TV network in the office, basically a video loop from a PC with leaderboards for performance metrics.

I'm not keen on the video over IP because then I'm going to need another high end switch, and decoders at each TV. The modulator seems more appealing because I can just buy one and maybe a single coax signal booster, but then dozens of TVs can all be set to channel 3 or whatever and have the same 1080p feed with no extra hardware, as long as I plan the coax wiring for the new floor we're expanding to.

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

I believe I made a terrible mistake by installing SP Designer13 and saying that "I get how it works". WHoops. :rip: me

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
People's refusal to answer simple questions is a permanent source of irritation for me.

"What file format do you need graphics in?"

"vector"

"ok here's an SVG"

"no not that kind"

Use your goddamned words and say "eps" or whatever the first time.

This dovetails nicely with the graphics people that will actively avoid sending you the correct format because they suspect you're giving your business to someone else.

And we are. Because they do poo poo like that.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!
A ticket came in:
Should I install this windows update?

:ughh:

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

ilkhan posted:

A ticket came in:
Should I install this windows update?

:ughh:

So, it the laughable thing that you're not managing updates?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yeah that seems like a legit question.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

So, it the laughable thing that you're not managing updates?
Too small for that right now. Its in process.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

ilkhan posted:

Too small for that right now. Its in process.

Ehh, spin up a WSUS server, GPO to point your clients at it. You can have it done by the end of the day....

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Moey posted:

Ehh, spin up a WSUS server, GPO to point your clients at it. You can have it done by the end of the day....
I just started a couple months ago.
We literally aren't using GPOs at all yet. I need to learn a bit.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

How complicated is a WSUS Server? Can it be run on a DC?

I haven't played around with one but one of our senior windows admin tells me it's too complicated. :rolleyes:

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

ilkhan posted:

I need to learn a bit.
So you imply that your users are stupid for asking a question, but also that you need to learn?

Sounds like one of you needs training.

Tab8715 posted:

It can but it's not recommended. It *can* be run on a workstation, however.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Tab8715 posted:

I haven't played around with one but one of our senior windows admin tells me it's too complicated. :rolleyes:

Your senior Windows admin is a loving moron. Running WSUS is the easiest thing. It's baby admin stuff.

It should be on it's own VM. I have one that I use for WSUS, GPO editing, KMS license management and a few other Windows stuff.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Come on guys, he's just trying to contribute :shobon:

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Unless his company is like mine in which case you will have WSUS and SCCM all setup to push out updates, including SCUP to add Adobe, Dell, and Java updates through WSUS and still not be allowed to actually use it. Because you know it's better to avoid updates in case they cause some sort of incompatibility error! God I cant wait to get out of here.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Unless his company is like mine in which case you will have WSUS and SCCM all setup to push out updates, including SCUP to add Adobe, Dell, and Java updates through WSUS and still not be allowed to actually use it. Because you know it's better to avoid updates in case they cause some sort of incompatibility error! God I cant wait to get out of here.

Have they not invented compatibility testing where you come from?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

GreenNight posted:

Your senior Windows admin is a loving moron. Running WSUS is the easiest thing. It's baby admin stuff.

It should be on it's own VM. I have one that I use for WSUS, GPO editing, KMS license management and a few other Windows stuff.

I figured as much but I don't work on the Windows Server side of things so what I say has no bearing.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Tab8715 posted:

I figured as much but I don't work on the Windows Server side of things so what I say has no bearing.

The only negative is if you are short on disk space. Our WSUS uses about 130 gigs, which isn't a huge amount but if you have a small SAN..

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

Javid posted:

People's refusal to answer simple questions is a permanent source of irritation for me.

"What file format do you need graphics in?"

"vector"

"ok here's an SVG"

"no not that kind"

Use your goddamned words and say "eps" or whatever the first time.

This dovetails nicely with the graphics people that will actively avoid sending you the correct format because they suspect you're giving your business to someone else.

And we are. Because they do poo poo like that.

Two weeks ago someone got an error report and they said they checked all the information and it looked fine. So I asked what it was exactly that they checked. "Data" was the answer.

That answer made it that much easier to ignore the email and delete it because I was assigned to bigger things and that person was told I was off limits already. I don't mind helping someone out with something small but you better give a better answer than that.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Statistical modeling person received their new $9,000 Mac Pro and two $1k Thunderbolt displays. The office manager (who has been a sort of desktop support guy) just gave the dude the equipment instead of prepping it, or letting me prep it.

Dude sets it up and then immediately forgets his password.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

ilkhan posted:

I just started a couple months ago.
We literally aren't using GPOs at all yet. I need to learn a bit.

:allears:

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

Dick Trauma posted:

Statistical modeling person received their new $9,000 Mac Pro and two $1k Thunderbolt displays. The office manager (who has been a sort of desktop support guy) just gave the dude the equipment instead of prepping it, or letting me prep it.

Your new avatar disturbs me

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

nexxai posted:

Have they not invented compatibility testing where you come from?

Speaking of which, what is the normal timeframe for this? We do 6 months minimum for even minor patches, and our 'fast track' for issues that are major critical stability issues is still like a month.

The only thing that bypasses it are things our security team(who believes that the security servers are safer on their publicly accessible desks than in the locked down DC) have called critical vulns.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

Dick Trauma posted:

I'm sure you know all this, but just in case, I've had to use the second method here where you go into single user mode:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/30983/how-to-reset-your-forgotten-mac-os-x-password/

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Migishu posted:

It was a "gift" for landing my new job. I want to make sure my mystery benefactor gets their :10bux: worth before I switch it back.

Gunjin posted:

I'm sure you know all this, but just in case, I've had to use the second method here where you go into single user mode:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/30983/how-to-reset-your-forgotten-mac-os-x-password/

I restarted to the recovery partition and launched terminal from Utilities. "resetpassword" will bring up the password reset tool.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Tab8715 posted:

Its better to leave your DC doing DC things and nothing else especially if it is a primary. My primary right now is also the DCHP server and that is about as much as I would ever put on a DC. Not only will this save you a ton of headaches but it should also keep the vm pretty small which is great for speedy restores. I don't think you can restore a DC server fast enough when they run into issues.

I know that small companies have limited resources and feel like they are wasting a license on an entire server for a server you don't do much with but in the end its worth it.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Mar 18, 2015

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Migishu posted:

I ended up just adding that specific image to my AdBlock blacklist.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

KillHour posted:

I ended up just adding that specific image to my AdBlock blacklist.

Me too

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Ahahahaha :arnie:

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Dick Trauma posted:

It was a "gift" for landing my new job. I want to make sure my mystery benefactor gets their :10bux: worth before I switch it back.

Despite the fact that your old avatar combined with your username somehow made me associate it with ripping the skin off some poor unfortunate penis, I still somehow prefer it to your current one. :magical:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

neogeo0823 posted:

Despite the fact that your old avatar combined with your username somehow made me associate it with ripping the skin off some poor unfortunate penis, I still somehow prefer it to your current one. :magical:

I mean, I'm pretty sure his old avatar was supposed to be a dick getting its skin ripped off.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Yeah, but it was just a cartoon dick!

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Sickening posted:

Its better to leave your DC doing DC things and nothing else especially if it is a primary. My primary right now is also the DCHP server and that is about as much as I would ever put on a DC. Not only will this save you a ton of headaches but it should also keep the vm pretty small which is great for speedy restores. I don't think you can restore a DC server fast enough when they run into issues.

I know that small companies have limited resources and feel like they are wasting a license on an entire server for a server you don't do much with but in the end its worth it.

At each of my sites I run a single virtualized dc that also handles dhcp and DNS, nothing more, nothing less. I wish I could have done core installs on them, but my neck beard coworker rdps into them to manage them. I don't think he knows what RSAT is.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Dick Trauma posted:

How about instead of switching it BACK, you switch it to something that reflects how things are better in your life and also something that won't make a bunch of people adblock it? You're one of exactly three people with avatars I've ever felt the need to adblock, and the only one who's had that dubious honor twice.

How about something without blood? Just an out-there suggestion.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I liked the old av :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Ditto

• Locked thread