Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

triple sulk posted:

busses can be fine if you can somehow limit the amount of traffic around them and/or have many short but frequently run routes

yea if you gently caress up everything else then maybe busses become ok if you are going to and from the few places they go at the specific times they go there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

triple sulk posted:

the bus thing is loving stupid and is a solution to something that isn't a problem, unless your problem is that you're rich + white and don't want to be around poor minorities

the problem theyre solving is that a few techies are dumb enough to pay for a luxury bus but there was no luxury bus service to take their money

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

techies don't live in the marina this is a techie trying to make a service for normals

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

qirex posted:

techies don't live in the marina this is a techie trying to make a service for normals

lolllllllllllll

i'm sure normals will be ecstatic to pay the bus ticket over bluetooth, have wifi on the bus, and order from the refreshments stand at the back of the bus with an app

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

French police have raided the offices of Uber in Paris as the taxi service continues to operate in the city despite officials claiming that it breaks national laws.

Hot on the heels of charges being made against Uber employees in South Korea over allegations of operating illegal taxi rings, Le Monde is now reporting that French Police have raided Uber's offices in Paris. The newspaper reports that 25 policemen raided the building, seizing documents and electronic hardware.

http://gizmodo.com/police-have-raided-ubers-parisian-hq-1692102556

:getin:

glad i moved to france

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

quote:

Almost every time I take Uber, I talk to the driver about the experience and the driver is quite happy with it. Now, I don't like the overall actions of the company, but I don't think they've (yet) screwed their drivers. Am I missing something?

simply precious

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
hey person I have life or death control over, can you spin me a story to assuage my guilt? btw there's only one right answer

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Nintendo Kid posted:

here's an example of an actual profitable private bus service:
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/28/realestate/28comm.html?_r=1&adxnnl=1&adxnnlx=1426656343-A15OUL0/A/5aXMTFTY6QKA

it solely exists for the idiots who moved 90 miles away from the city on the promises that the passenger rail discontinued int he 60s would be reactivated as commuter rail "soon" ever since like 1980.

now since driving 90 miles every day sucks poo poo, and the state of nj adamantly refuses to expand the width of I-80 in the western part of the state to discourage car commutes, the private bus operator has a captive audience of dunces who pretty much have it as their only option.

the train will eventually come, but it won't be til 2016 when service returns to the first station on the out-of-service section, which will be 46 miles away from the place the people live in pa. current plans, which have no funding mind you, have the first station in pennslyvania and only 18 miles away from where people live going live sometime around 2025-2030. stations in nj but closer than the first station to open have varying levels of funding and opening horizons, assuming no delays, of the early 2020s.

once that happens, the bus line will probably quickly shut down.

--------------------

incidentally you may ask "wait, why did they move the whole 90 miles out, why not something more sane like 50?". well the answer to that is that development to the west from manhattan within new jersey is kept within roughly 30 miles of the hudson, for the most part. past then you get increasing state regulations on development making it way harder for your random developer to whip up a subdivision of 100 mcmansions. past about 45 miles out this control gets pretty tight and as such development density drops drastically, but Pennslyvania doesn't give a gently caress and lets you develop as much as you want once you cross the border after 80 miles out or so.

the result is a pseudo greenbelt 35-40 miles deep which is really quite nice, even though little of it is formal parkland, and the much increased density of development of the inner suburbs.

there's also free reign to develop towards philadelphia in the southwest from manhattan but for some reason these people insist on going way further away so they have to leave for their commute at 5 am to be sure they're in by 9, lol
i liked this article

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner

Jonny 290 posted:

I'M THE LYRICAL JESSE JAMES

but are you serious as cancer when you say rhythm is a dancer

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

The link has screenshots.

http://betanews.com/2015/03/16/mozilla-approves-nazi-themed-anti-feminism-firefox-extension/

quote:

Mozilla approves Nazi-themed, anti-feminism Firefox extension

Mozilla could soon find itself at the center of a new controversy, as it just approved a Firefox extension, called Men Kampf, designed with the sole purpose of replacing so-called "radfem rethoric [sic] with nazi friendly alternatives".

Men Kampf scans the page that the Firefox user visits for any words considered to be linked to feminism -- certainly not radical feminism, as claimed in the description -- and replaces them, on the fly, with said "alternatives". As such, an article about feminism will quickly appear to be one about nazism. The developer behind the extension, Erim Secla, says that it's all "just for fun" in Men Kampf's description. Except that it's not.

It's offensive. While feminism is a movement that aims to make the world a better place by promoting equality, nazism is a movement which is linked to one of the darkest periods in history, when millions of people lost their lives and were discriminated against because those who shared the ideology strongly believed in and promoted inequality. Tomato, tomato, eh?

Men Kampf is apparently inspired by a Chrome extension called "Man Kampf" (in reality, it's called Men Kampf and is available in the Chrome Web Store), which is equally offensive. The Chrome counterpart "Turns SJW nonsense into pro-Nazi propaganda. Changes words such as 'Men' into 'Jews' to make any radical feminist post sound like something straight out of Hitler's mouth!", claims its developer in the description.

As you may notice in the screenshot posted at the top of the page, the Firefox add-on store lists it as "preliminary reviewed". What does that mean? Well, it means that Mozilla's editors have reviewed the source code for "security issues and major policy violations", before deeming it fit for the store. However, that does not automatically mean that the app has also been installed, prior to approval; in most cases Mozilla says this doesn't happen.

However, in the "policies on specific add-on practices" it's clearly stated that "Add-ons that make changes to web content in ways that are non-obvious or difficult to trace by their users" would not be permitted -- an example of a page where the extension infringes upon this policy is Facebook. Another is the Wikipedia page for Gender equality, where only certain words are replaced, like "men" with "Jews" and "women" with "Germans". I've reached out to Mozilla for clarification.

But, surprisingly, Mozilla does not have a policy in place which would prevent extensions that promote Nazism from being approved. Anything goes, as long as it meets the technical criteria. But perhaps it's time to reconsider. After all, Mozilla is a self-proclaimed supporter of equality, isn't it?

Update 1: Mozilla responded, saying that the extension has been removed. At the time of writing this article, the extension's landing page says "This add-on has been disabled by an administrator". A statement will follow.

Update 2:Here comes the statement. "Mozilla reviews and responds expeditiously to reports of abuse. 'Men Kampf' was removed after Mozilla received such reports today and it was determined that the add-on violates our Conditions of Use", says Mozilla director of marketplace and content ecosystem Bertrand Neveux.

As you can see, Mozilla acted swiftly to remove the extension from the Firefox add-ons store, following reports. Meanwhile, the similar Men Kampf for Chrome continues to be available in Chrome Web Store.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

loving SJWs and their censorship!!!

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

As a Millennial I posted:

loving skeletons and their censorship!!!

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

that's seriously a thing the mras and gamergaters are doing now btw, s/men|gamers/jews and saying SEE YOUR ALL HITLERS

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

some same people are also responsible for this horrible piece of poo poo.

https://github.com/The-Feminist-Software-Foundation

Toleranux got rightfully nuked from github on account of being hateful. here's what it said, anyhow

---

We're building the world's first Tolerant operating system kernel!

Please continue contributing. We still need a full SystemD/SystemV replacement.

==========

ToleranUX (like UNIX, but with more Toblerone and Tolerance) is the world's first UNIX-like operating system kernel that adheres to the 21st Century modern tenants of Equality, Inclusiveness, and Tolerance. ToleranUX is created to revolutionise the Toxic Meritocracy that permeates the FOSS (Free and Open Source Software) world that has proved itself to be the crux of divisiveness, the cause of the gender imbalance in IT, and the bane of True Equality.

In light of the continued reign of Linus Torvalds as the sole, white, cisgendered and male project leader dictator of the (in)famous Linux kernel, the Feminist Software Foundation has forked where no feminist has forked and reclaimed the software bits to all people.

e. lol uploaded a thumbnail.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

to boldly fork where no one has forked before

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

the best part was everyone (even people on SA :ssh:) who took that seriously and decried feminists for it

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

that's seriously a thing the mras and gamergaters are doing now btw, s/men|gamers/jews and saying SEE YOUR ALL HITLERS
i sort of get it as like a 30 second joke, but i really can't wrap my head around feeling so persecuted/marginalized that you'd actually be taking this stuff so seriously as to write a chrome extension.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

http://mashable.com/2015/03/16/google-schmidt-unconscious-bias/#:eyJzIjoidCIsImkiOiJfcW03cW56c3BkeDlieWtraiJ9

On Monday, Google Executive Chairman Eric Schmidt and acclaimed Steve Jobs biographer Walter Isaacson were wrapping up a SXSW Interactive panel that had focused on diversity, when an audience member called out the two men for repeatedly interrupting their fellow panelist, the United States' Chief Technology Officer Megan Smith.

Even more awkward? The audience member who posed the question was apparently Judith Williams, who heads up Google's unconscious bias program.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

im the completely valid point about good ui designers being more valuable than coders

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

failure is always an option

it is cool and good that they even imagine there's a market, much less that they could find those conditions twice

failure is not an "option" here, its a guarantee as soon as they run out of vc money again.

there is no market, they proved there was no market last time but they'll sure take the vc money again to try again

i really don't understand why you think this company is doing anything noteworthy, other than meeting the definition of insanity

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Nintendo Kid posted:

failure is not an "option" here, its a guarantee as soon as they run out of vc money again.

there is no market, they proved there was no market last time but they'll sure take the vc money again to try again

i really don't understand why you think this company is doing anything noteworthy, other than meeting the definition of insanity

i like how their narrative in the ars technical article was that their previous failure in 2013 was a "test"

as if a three-mile bus route was a nuclear weapon or something

"welp the bus exploded and cleansed the world of 20 people who would pay $6 for a three-mile bus ride about 1600 feet into the run, gonna have to go back to the lab for a couple years"

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Mr. Apollo posted:

i sort of get it as like a 30 second joke, but i really can't wrap my head around feeling so persecuted/marginalized that you'd actually be taking this stuff so seriously as to write a chrome extension.

you're a total maroon with no insight?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

http://mashable.com/2015/03/16/google-schmidt-unconscious-bias/#:eyJzIjoidCIsImkiOiJfcW03cW56c3BkeDlieWtraiJ9

On Monday, Google Executive Chairman Eric Schmidt and acclaimed Steve Jobs biographer Walter Isaacson were wrapping up a SXSW Interactive panel that had focused on diversity, when an audience member called out the two men for repeatedly interrupting their fellow panelist, the United States' Chief Technology Officer Megan Smith.

Even more awkward? The audience member who posed the question was apparently Judith Williams, who heads up Google's unconscious bias program.

can't wait for the hn meltdown

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

I don't know which is funnier, this or the fact that google has an unconscious bias programme.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

vodkat posted:

or the fact that google has an unconscious bias programme.

it's actually a very good idea. for example, did you hear about what happened with eric schmidt at south by southwest?

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Luigi Thirty posted:

you're a total maroon with no insight?
lol i guess, i don't know i don't understand why mras/gamergates/whatever are so freaked out by this stuff. like i understand it to a degree but i don't get rage and anger behind it. I guess they're really insecure and someone pointing this stuff out to them makes them feel uncomfortable and instead of saying "hmm maybe you have a point" or "i don't understand can you explain further" they just freak out?

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

have the gamergators started eating each other yet?

Nagato
Apr 26, 2011

Why yes my username is the same as an autistic alien who looks like a 9 year old from an anime, why do ask?
:nyoron:

Mr. Apollo posted:

lol i guess, i don't know i don't understand why mras/gamergates/whatever are so freaked out by this stuff. like i understand it to a degree but i don't get rage and anger behind it. I guess they're really insecure and someone pointing this stuff out to them makes them feel uncomfortable and instead of saying "hmm maybe you have a point" or "i don't understand can you explain further" they just freak out?

its because they are not used to having actual conversations, all they know about how to have a political discussion is directing smarmy remarks about your opponents to your friends, and incredibly passive-aggressive poo poo like coding an argumentum ad hitler extension and uploading it to firefox.com

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Boxturret posted:

some gator was getting trannyshamed by other gators but I think that's really the extent of it

Nagato posted:

its because they are not used to having actual conversations, all they know about how to have a political discussion is directing smarmy remarks about your opponents to your friends, and incredibly passive-aggressive poo poo like coding an argumentum ad hitler extension and uploading it to firefox.com

all they know about how to have a political discussion is shoot the enemy in increasingly dehumanizing and ever more gory action sequences

remember, they're the PCs, (sj)skeletons are the NPCs

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug

Boxturret posted:

right now yes, they're all screaming at Totalbiscuit, who is probably their biggest/most popular supporter because he was like 'hey maybe tone down the rape threats"

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/Totalbiscuit/status/578225181468000256

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Beast of Bourbon posted:

right now yes, they're all screaming at Totalbiscuit, who is probably their biggest/most popular supporter because he was like 'hey maybe tone down the rape threats"

wasn't he originally vocally like 'man there haven't actually been rapes so shut up'

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Nagato posted:

also,. impotent rage at being confronted with people who won't let them say and do whatever the gently caress they want. it's a childish response to encoutnering consequences for their actions

see also conservatives

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Cocoa Crispies posted:

i like how their narrative in the ars technical article was that their previous failure in 2013 was a "test"

as if a three-mile bus route was a nuclear weapon or something

"welp the bus exploded and cleansed the world of 20 people who would pay $6 for a three-mile bus ride about 1600 feet into the run, gonna have to go back to the lab for a couple years"

also a reminder that when they shut down last time their page had a placeholder promising they'd be back in 2014, as late as december last year:
https://web.archive.org/web/20141217144956/http://leaptransit.com/

which had originally said SUMMER 2014 earlier in 2014:
https://web.archive.org/web/20140415144117/http://leaptransit.com/

and at the end of 2013 their site said:
"We'll Be Back

We've concluded our beta run, and have been thrilled with the results. We're now putting our efforts into raising capital so we can come back with more routes, higher frequency, and better buses. Please keep suggesting future routes, and if you've got any questions or would like to show support, email us at support@leaptransit.com "

Nagato
Apr 26, 2011

Why yes my username is the same as an autistic alien who looks like a 9 year old from an anime, why do ask?
:nyoron:
an average jargon-laden gamergate tweet is about as coherent as http://trashbat.co.ck/t12/index.html

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

hey, remember zynga? their new big hope is to compete with clash of clans and game of war
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7SEIFBeg1k

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

supercell must be mad they didn't think to trademark the word "of"

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

clash of clowns lol

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Unemploymentville