Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Just because I know people dislike reading work in progress playbooks as word documents, here's the current starting moves for the Guild playbook in a easier to read format.

Easy to read version here

I'm playing around with how to restore the resource. I'm not happy with what I've got there atm, because if you're going somewhere your guild can't be, then you can't get any resource back. Which is a bit of a problem. That said, I'm not sure on the name of the resource, "Guildmates" its a bit of a mouthful. Need a better name, but I'm struggling to come up with one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Rulebook Heavily posted:

Meanwhile, the City Thief is literally based 99% on Garrett.

The City Thief is pretty cool too, but yeah, a little too much of it is based on Garrett for me. Water/moss/etc arrows hit a tad too close.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

I didn't know people felt the thief playbook to be that lacking. Ya'll might be interested my Scout class for Broken World once it's finished. Specifically the Smooth Operator or Ghost variants. Probably not the sniper unless you swap gun for scoped crossbow. Actually never-mind that sounds rad.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh
Personally I really like the idea of orienting the Thief as a back-alley mugger, but the only thing I really remember out of the Thief's advances is a whole lot of +1's to a bunch of stuff.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

sentrygun posted:

Personally I really like the idea of orienting the Thief as a back-alley mugger, but the only thing I really remember out of the Thief's advances is a whole lot of +1's to a bunch of stuff.

I prefer thinking of the Thief as Indiana Jones with more poisoned knives, myself. It fits better with the whole pulpy dungeon crawling aesthetic.

Teonis
Jul 5, 2007

Lurks With Wolves posted:

I prefer thinking of the Thief as Indiana Jones with more poisoned knives, myself. It fits better with the whole pulpy dungeon crawling aesthetic.

Indiana Jones is a terrible thief, he is the one always getting backstabbed.

Twib
Dec 24, 2013
I'm starting an Air Pirate game in a few weeks, and one of my players has expressed interest in getting bored with the basic Thief in the game, as well as rogue-types in general. So I decided to draft up something a lot more charismatic and specific for the game.

The conceit of the Playbook is that whether you play Blackbeard, Jack Sparrow, or a Casanova from a bad pirate-bodice ripper, you can make your own luck by being as drunk as a skunk. However, I don't have any idea for Background/Racial Moves, or Alignment Moves, as well as yhe general quantity of Moves and the relative balance between it and other classes.

The Pirate

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
So after not doing any table top rpging since like D&D 2E 15 years ago I bought a print edition because I really love the idea of story taking precedence and the whole shared creation thing between DM/players. Dungeon World looks amazing.

Would I be better off trying to create something from scratch or going straight into one of the adventures in the OP?

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

T-Bone posted:

So after not doing any table top rpging since like D&D 2E 15 years ago I bought a print edition because I really love the idea of story taking precedence and the whole shared creation thing between DM/players. Dungeon World looks amazing.

Would I be better off trying to create something from scratch or going straight into one of the adventures in the OP?

I've had the most success personally not planning anything. I Just think of a general plot point and let the players do the heavy lifting on moving the story. That's the real beauty of this engine.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

Cheap Shot posted:

I've had the most success personally not planning anything. I Just think of a general plot point and let the players do the heavy lifting on moving the story. That's the real beauty of this engine.

Every game I've ever run I've run like this. Regardless of what system its in. Partly this is why I'm a terrible DnD GM. But for world of darkness and dungeon world and Monster and Other Childish things, its awesome.

KingFisher
Oct 30, 2006
WORST EDITOR in the history of my expansion school's student paper. Then I married a BEER HEIRESS and now I shitpost SA by white-knighting the status quo to defend my unearned life of privilege.
Fun Shoe
Multiclass question here.

So when you multiclass into a different class do you also gain that classes race based moves?
For example A Paladin uses Divine Favor, since they are now a human cleric do they gain the 1 wizard spell?
I presume not because you are merely getting the moves, not the whole class right?

JohnOfOrdo3
Nov 7, 2011

My other car is an asteroid
:black101:
Far as I understand it you just get that move you bought with the multiclass move. You don't get anything else.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

I think this came up in discussion earlier in the thread, but it actually says you get any moves your move is dependent on as well. I personally think that's kinda meh though. My rule is you should spend a move on the starting move first and then the move you want next level. Like a prerequisite pretty much.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Cheap Shot posted:

I think this came up in discussion earlier in the thread, but it actually says you get any moves your move is dependent on as well. I personally think that's kinda meh though. My rule is you should spend a move on the starting move first and then the move you want next level. Like a prerequisite pretty much.

That rule's specifically for stuff like Cast a Spell and Prepare Spells and Spellbook where there's multiple moves that don't actually do anything if you don't have all of them. It's not supposed to let you take a move that requires another move and get the required move as a bonus.

Lurks With Wolves fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Mar 18, 2015

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Has anyone had any success bringing something like 13th Age's Backgrounds into Dungeon World? Not the Backgrounds people use to replace Alignments, the skillsets unique to your character directly from 13th Age.

My group is moving over to Dungeon World after finding the gameplay flow to be more to their liking, but they want to bring One Unique Things, the Icons and Backgrounds with them. The first two primarily exist in the fiction, so no problem there, but I'm stumped on how to deal with Backgrounds. I was considering a generic +1 ongoing to any task related to them, but Backgrounds are purposely very broad so I'm worried this could quickly apply to just about every non-combat roll.

I'm also considering allowing them to make custom moves, but that would be a lot of work and potentially little payoff if they aren't worded correctly (namely if it's too narrow to activate). Any suggestions?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Replace Drives or Race BGs with One Unique Things.

Or create a move like:
(Culinary Expert) of the Ruby Hall
When you (Make a meal to change someone's opinion), roll (+WIS). On a 10+, you:
-[General beneficial effect; you get what you want]
On a 7-9, as above but (choose 1 of three tradeoffs).

Most backgrounds can fit this format, whether you're a Temple Guard, Spelunking Captain or Small Business Owner. The trigger, stat and consequences are what matter.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Big Mad Drongo posted:

Has anyone had any success bringing something like 13th Age's Backgrounds into Dungeon World? Not the Backgrounds people use to replace Alignments, the skillsets unique to your character directly from 13th Age.

My group is moving over to Dungeon World after finding the gameplay flow to be more to their liking, but they want to bring One Unique Things, the Icons and Backgrounds with them. The first two primarily exist in the fiction, so no problem there, but I'm stumped on how to deal with Backgrounds. I was considering a generic +1 ongoing to any task related to them, but Backgrounds are purposely very broad so I'm worried this could quickly apply to just about every non-combat roll.

I'm also considering allowing them to make custom moves, but that would be a lot of work and potentially little payoff if they aren't worded correctly (namely if it's too narrow to activate). Any suggestions?

I wouldn't give a generic +1 ongoing if I were you. A +1 is a really big deal when you're just rolling 2d6, and attaching that big of a modifier to backgrounds means that people will just take ones that are as broadly applicable to their class's focus as possible. Making a custom move or two for each character would be a much better way to give a bit of mechanical backing to their backgrounds. Maybe replace the racial move/racial move equivalent with a background move, maybe give everyone a bonus move, either way works as long as it's the same for everyone.

It's also worth remembering that, even if they don't have a mechanic associated with them, backgrounds can change what a character is fictionally justified in doing. Can the Ranger pick that lock? He's a Master Locksmith, so yes of course he can pick that lock. If he's rolling, it's for "can he pick this lock before the guard gets back", not "can he pick this lock". Can the Fighter pick that lock? Well, she's an Eccentric Tinkerer, so probably but it's also probably worth rolling to see whether there's some interesting fallout from however she's unlocking it. Can the Cleric pick that lock? They're a Barbaric Westerner, so it's kind of out of their wheelhouse. You should still ask them how they know how to pick locks, because either they'll decide that they don't and try something else or they'll have a really interesting story about how they learned to pick locks and both of those are more interesting than telling them no, you can't pick that lock, but you get my point.

Teonis
Jul 5, 2007

Lurks With Wolves posted:

I wouldn't give a generic +1 ongoing if I were you. A +1 is a really big deal when you're just rolling 2d6, and attaching that big of a modifier to backgrounds means that people will just take ones that are as broadly applicable to their class's focus as possible. Making a custom move or two for each character would be a much better way to give a bit of mechanical backing to their backgrounds. Maybe replace the racial move/racial move equivalent with a background move, maybe give everyone a bonus move, either way works as long as it's the same for everyone.

It's also worth remembering that, even if they don't have a mechanic associated with them, backgrounds can change what a character is fictionally justified in doing. Can the Ranger pick that lock? He's a Master Locksmith, so yes of course he can pick that lock. If he's rolling, it's for "can he pick this lock before the guard gets back", not "can he pick this lock". Can the Fighter pick that lock? Well, she's an Eccentric Tinkerer, so probably but it's also probably worth rolling to see whether there's some interesting fallout from however she's unlocking it. Can the Cleric pick that lock? They're a Barbaric Westerner, so it's kind of out of their wheelhouse. You should still ask them how they know how to pick locks, because either they'll decide that they don't and try something else or they'll have a really interesting story about how they learned to pick locks and both of those are more interesting than telling them no, you can't pick that lock, but you get my point.

Upvote,

Additionally, are these BGs in your examples actually out of a resource or did you make them up off the top of your head? I would really like a resource like this.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Teonis posted:

Upvote,

Additionally, are these BGs in your examples actually out of a resource or did you make them up off the top of your head? I would really like a resource like this.

Oh, I just made them up. 13th Age backgrounds are player-made skillsets that can be used for whatever you and your group agrees they can be used for, so I just picked some random stuff that sounded cool. 13th Age does have a lot of good examples if you want some, assuming you like games that are like D&D 3.5 but with more modern design.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
I think you'd get more mileage out of Heritage moves as backgrounds.

Each player picks 2-3 monster move style background moves

When your background would apply, roll +0.
On a 10 hold 3
7-9, hold 1
Spend hold to make a move, just like that.

So a master locksmith might have
-Unlock something without making noise
-Identify the best way past a lock

These aren't great, but I'm just brainstorming.

Since your players already have their backgrounds, it should be easy to come up with a handful of background moves each.

KingFisher
Oct 30, 2006
WORST EDITOR in the history of my expansion school's student paper. Then I married a BEER HEIRESS and now I shitpost SA by white-knighting the status quo to defend my unearned life of privilege.
Fun Shoe
Another question for "Number Appearing", the race based moves are independent of class right, so the "orc fighter" race move would be applicable to any class not just fighters?

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

KingFisher posted:

Another question for "Number Appearing", the race based moves are independent of class right, so the "orc fighter" race move would be applicable to any class not just fighters?

Some of them are independent of class, but the ones that refer to specific classes are specific to those classes.

Since race moves in DW tend to be very different across the classes (just look at the Elf's race move across the classes) what I recommend you do is hammer out some kind of a unique race move to the race-class combinations not already present based on the fiction.

Say you've got a player who wants to play an Orc Cleric. Start by asking them how orcs see religion in contrast to humans and dwarves. An easy way to do this is to give a 1st-level spell as a rote provided it's thematic (say, if the player says that orcish religion is focused on revering the dead giving them Speak With the Dead as a rote makes sense). Another good type of race move is giving a character more options regarding their primary choices in their character class (Examples: Elf Druid always has the Great Forest as an attuned environment, Elf Fighters always get to treat their weapon of choice as a Precise weapons). Maybe orcish religion is very focused on combat and warfare, so giving them Petition: Personal Victory on top of any Petition of their choice might make sense.

What you should avoid is simple +1 to something moves, because they're mostly just very boring. Incidentally, this is why I don't really like the race moves halflings get in vanilla DW, because they're all just +numbers in certain situations.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Cheap Shot posted:

If you take a starting move, you get any other starting move it depends on.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Ratpick posted:

Some of them are independent of class, but the ones that refer to specific classes are specific to those classes.

Since race moves in DW tend to be very different across the classes (just look at the Elf's race move across the classes) what I recommend you do is hammer out some kind of a unique race move to the race-class combinations not already present based on the fiction.

Say you've got a player who wants to play an Orc Cleric. Start by asking them how orcs see religion in contrast to humans and dwarves. An easy way to do this is to give a 1st-level spell as a rote provided it's thematic (say, if the player says that orcish religion is focused on revering the dead giving them Speak With the Dead as a rote makes sense). Another good type of race move is giving a character more options regarding their primary choices in their character class (Examples: Elf Druid always has the Great Forest as an attuned environment, Elf Fighters always get to treat their weapon of choice as a Precise weapons). Maybe orcish religion is very focused on combat and warfare, so giving them Petition: Personal Victory on top of any Petition of their choice might make sense.

What you should avoid is simple +1 to something moves, because they're mostly just very boring. Incidentally, this is why I don't really like the race moves halflings get in vanilla DW, because they're all just +numbers in certain situations.

If I were to offer something special for an Orc Cleric (Or any specific 'Battle Cleric' concept), I'd actually go a little more drastic.
Focus on combat, warfare, conquest.
Speak with dead and Magic weapon are rotes (replace Sanctify and Guidance)
replace Turn Undead with a limited form of the fighter Signature Weapon (Turn Undead would be moved to an advanced move):

Divine Weapon
Maybe it's a symbol for your deity's power in the world, maybe it's a famous or legendary artifact passed down through the ages/ your order,maybe it's just a mundane item that blazed with the might of your faith on the day you discovered your connection to your deity.

Choose a base description, all are 2 weight with the listed range:
Fists, Knives, etc. (hand)
Sword, Axe, Hammer, etc. (close)
Spear, Battleaxe, Whip, etc. (Reach)

Choose two enhancements:
Huge. Add messy and forceful.
Sharp hooks and spikes. +1 damage, but +1 weight.
______ Bane. Does +2 piercing to one type of creature, your choice. (like silver vs lycanthropes, etc.)
Glows in the presence of one type of creature, your choice.
Well-crafted. -1 weight.

Describe what your Divine Weapon looks like: ____________________________________

Error 404 fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Mar 19, 2015

KingFisher
Oct 30, 2006
Fun Shoe

Glazius posted:

If you take a starting move, you get any other starting move it depends on.

Has this starting move guidance functionality been formally added to any rules?

Ratpick posted:

Thanks for the guidance I am specifically thinking about an Orc Barbarian, the fighter race move is:
Orc Fighter: When you suffer damage (after subtracting Armor) take +1 forward against that creature.
Which I think works fine for a Barbarian as well, since this was made before some of these new classes were made. Alternatively if could read:
Orc Barbarian: When you suffer damage (after subtracting Armor) add +1 damage forward against that creature

I presume these benefits would stack to crate a "momentum" effect?

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

KingFisher posted:

Has this starting move guidance functionality been formally added to any rules?

As far as I am aware it's always been there, not just added as errata or anything. In my PDF copy it's on page 31:

Dungeon World posted:

For the purpose of multiclassing, any starting class moves that depend on each other count as one move—the wizard's cast a spell, spellbook, and prepare spells for example.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

Dungeon World posted:

For the purpose of multiclassing, any starting class moves that depend on each other count as one move—the wizard's cast a spell, spellbook, and prepare spells for example.

That's a weird element of the vanilla playbooks that always struck me as very unclear and weird. An easy going reading and this advice would have anyone casting spells at their class level. But that makes a generic multi-class move clearly better than the Druid and Cleric Cast a Spell specific multiclass moves, which always put you one level behind the casting class and bizarrely get worse if you take them later, which isn't usually a Pbta thing. I think this is the only example.

Dungeon World posted:

Dedicate yourself to a deity (name a new one or choose one that’s already been established). You gain the commune and cast a spell cleric moves. When you select this move, treat yourself as a cleric of level 1 for using spells. Every time you gain a level thereafter, increase your effective cleric level by 1.

This move implies on a strict reading that only cleric multiclass move that the Paladin and Druid get actually works properly. You can take Cast a Spell and the associated moves, but you're a level 0 wizard and you'll always be a level 0 wizard, which means all you get are cantrips and one level 1 spell. There's no way to change that for a multiclass wizard and for a Cleric you have to take the move from the Druid or Paladin. That kind of makes sense, but it's so weird and harsh. Also, if we're reading everything like it's Pathfinder now, the Prepare Spells and Commune moves only mention your level, not your wizard/cleric level.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Mr. Prokosch posted:

That's a weird element of the vanilla playbooks that always struck me as very unclear and weird. An easy going reading and this advice would have anyone casting spells at their class level. But that makes a generic multi-class move clearly better than the Druid and Cleric Cast a Spell specific multiclass moves, which always put you one level behind the casting class and bizarrely get worse if you take them later, which isn't usually a Pbta thing. I think this is the only example.

This move implies on a strict reading that only cleric multiclass move that the Paladin and Druid get actually works properly. You can take Cast a Spell and the associated moves, but you're a level 0 wizard and you'll always be a level 0 wizard, which means all you get are cantrips and one level 1 spell. There's no way to change that for a multiclass wizard and for a Cleric you have to take the move from the Druid or Paladin. That kind of makes sense, but it's so weird and harsh. Also, if we're reading everything like it's Pathfinder now, the Prepare Spells and Commune moves only mention your level, not your wizard/cleric level.

No, you start as a level 1 wizard at the level you took the move(s) every level you gain after that you learn a new spell and increase the spells you can prepare just as any other wizard.

For example, if you multiclass into Cast a Spell at level five, then at level 10 you will only be able to cast level 5 spells, and will only be able to prepare (wizard level +1) spells, so you can have 6 level 1s prepared (or a level 5 and a level 1, or however you want to split it) along with cantrips. Just like any level 5 wizard.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
I know people liked RulebookHeavily's Race As Class playbooks - The Elf, The Dwarf, the Halfling. Well he just put out The Orc as well, under my publishing company instead of Funhaver since they've sorta vanished. Take a look: http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/146465/The-Orc--A-Dungeon-World-Playbook

We were mainly holding off on publishing it because Fellowship was going to be a dungeon world book, but then it stopped being dungeon world and we forgot to publish this anyway. Whoops! Here it is now.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

Orc Smash!
You automatically smash through furniture, wooden doors, simple walls, barricades, weaklings, cowards, and halflings who stand between you and where you wish to go, all without Defying Danger.

All my moves are the best but this one is double best.

e: More of a preview found here.

Rulebook Heavily fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Mar 21, 2015

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

gnome7 posted:

I know people liked RulebookHeavily's Race As Class playbooks - The Elf, The Dwarf, the Halfling. Well he just put out The Orc as well, under my publishing company instead of Funhaver since they've sorta vanished. Take a look: http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/146465/The-Orc--A-Dungeon-World-Playbook

We were mainly holding off on publishing it because Fellowship was going to be a dungeon world book, but then it stopped being dungeon world and we forgot to publish this anyway. Whoops! Here it is now.

Relatedly when Fellowship comes out you should totally put the Dungeon World playtest version up somewhere, because it's frankly too awesome to not see the light of day. It's basically dungeon world 1.5, with better basic moves, cool as gently caress playbooks and awesome new mechanics.

Wapole Languray
Jul 4, 2012

I'm going to be running my first Dungeon World game soon, and I'd like to ask for some info/feedback.

Two of my players wanted to roll with non-standard races, a Centaur Druid and an Orc Barbarian. The Druid I just reskinned the Elf racial to be the Plains as a free Attunement, but for the Orc Barbarian I made his Musclebound Move apply to unarmed and thrown as well, to represent him being SWOLE. The player likes this idea as I told him it'd let him rip arms off and throw axes through people.

The setting I've set up like this: I've established how they start (In prison on a ship) though leaving why they're in that position up to the players. I've developed the world... ish in that I've got a blank hexmap they'll fill out as they explore. I've also clarified the basic "theme" of "Fairly Serious Dark Fantasy", and have came up with a rough idea of the setting, namely that this is a world wracked by a magic plague that twists and corrupts things into horrific and monstrous forms. This is a sorta fact of life thing and just an explanation for why the world is so hostile and hosed up. The particulars are mostly up to the players, but far as I can tell, they mostly care about their characters, and are happy to have me handle world-building stuff.

I do want to know though: Is there a good "cheat sheet" for the game, besides just having the Gazetteer website open?

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Wapole Languray posted:

I do want to know though: Is there a good "cheat sheet" for the game, besides just having the Gazetteer website open?

One of the best thing about dungeon world is how good the cheat sheets are: https://www.mediafire.com/?68rwsb562s077sd

This PDF is available for download for free somewhere but I can't find it offhand, so I just uploaded my copy.

Wapole Languray
Jul 4, 2012

Just had my first session of dungeon world, and I sucked. I found myself totally unpreppared, my "intro combat" was both too easy and too hard, and I kept loving up keeping it narrative. Is there any help running a 5 player party in dungeon world and keeping things moving fine?

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Lean heavily on "ask the players what happens" and react to that. Sorry if this was already what you did. :shrug:

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Could you elaborate a bit? I usually start in media res and ask questions and go from there.

Teonis
Jul 5, 2007

Wapole Languray posted:

Just had my first session of dungeon world, and I sucked. I found myself totally unpreppared, my "intro combat" was both too easy and too hard, and I kept loving up keeping it narrative. Is there any help running a 5 player party in dungeon world and keeping things moving fine?

Deltasquid posted:

Could you elaborate a bit? I usually start in media res and ask questions and go from there.
I agree with Delta

Some details on what happened might help us clarify a few ways to work with your group on making the narrative happen. I personally had a big screwup in a start up session recently, in which I made the starting action too tough for the players by mistake, but I didn't leave them an out, so cornered they had no choice to fight until half the party died or surrendered. It was a big mistake and ended the game quite rapidly. Something you will want to do in your opening action is make sure the payers know they can run and have an obvious way to escape and lick their wounds. This also gives them a possible rival or obstacle to overcome at a later date.

Another thing you'll want to remember is to direct the action at your players in turn. I used to pitch something like "the orcs are charging down the hill, what do you do." but that is much better refined as "the orcs rushing down the hill reach Fighter first, who has his spear at ready, skewering the first grunt down the hill. However, 3 more of the beasts are bearing down on him. How do you handle holding off 3 orcs?" -- Thids can totally feed into other player's actions as well, leading the narrative. For example. "Ranger, the fighter is being swamped by orcs barely holding them back. Remember that Fighter feels like you own him your life, maybe this is a good chance to pay him back, what do you do?" Or if the fighter failed his H&S or DD roll, "Ranger, the fighter is being overwhelmed, but there are more orcs pouring into the village streets now, what do you do?"

I like to make a player's failures effect other people than themselves, especially for tanky characters like fighter and paladin, who don't care about their HP. Try to make it flow from person to person, but rarely do you want to open it up to the whole table, with "what does everyone do about the charging orcs?" you will get 5 different answers.

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...

Deltasquid posted:

During my first DW session, I explained to my players that I was going to start the story in media res. One of the players went: "Ok, so what kind of town is Media Res?" Sadly, he was not kidding. It's been a running joke ever since.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

theroachman posted:

During my first DW session, I explained to my players that I was going to start the story in media res. One of the players went: "Ok, so what kind of town is Media Res?" Sadly, he was not kidding. It's been a running joke ever since.

D'aww. :3

Once in a group I used to play with, the question was posed "what supplies would you like to bring with you on this mission?" and someone said "uhhh a sack lunch?" and they were also serious. That has been our response to that question every single time now since. Even in new groups my friend and I splinter off into..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

I asked in the apocalypse world thread, but I'd love to pick dungeon worlders brains on this as well. I'm publishing my own apoc engine game and I want to correct as many shortcomings as I can with user feedback. Here is a good place because my system is much more based off dungeon world than base apocalypse world. I'd love to know peoples opinions on late game characters so I can improve character longevity. (I've already taken quite a few steps, but I'd like to refine them)