Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
at least it's not Blue Dragon though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

Excels posted:

i had more fun with the FFXII demo bundled into DQ8 than the game itself.

disappointing opinion from someone who has a very correct stance on ff9

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
the best DQ remake is DQ4 because they put Russians and Scots into the game

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Heavy Lobster posted:

Speaking of Grand Theft Autos, GTA3, VC, and San Andreas are all available on mobile as well. Playing them on a touchscreen is probably miserable, but if you'd like to, you can.

Yes this sounds like the worst thing in the world. I am playing them on a PS2 like a sane person.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

Pablo Gigante posted:

So is VIII, but it's based on the Japanese release meaning no voice acting

Still, play VIII because it's really good. So is V

No voice acting is a bummer because DQ8 actually had enjoyable video game VA, but worse is that the music is like a step above midi in quality as opposed to the full orchestra in the US release, which is coincidentally one of the best video game soundtracks, possibly ever.

edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cU1OxBdlFdE
hell.......... yes

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Heavy Lobster posted:

disappointing opinion from someone who has a very correct stance on ff9

i won't say the game is bad, but i was young and impatient and to my young self the OST sounded like muzak.

should probably try the game again sometime soon now that i am an adult who can appreciate a good orchestral soundtrack

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Excels posted:

at least it's not Blue Dragon though.

I remember thinking BD was kinda fun. Never ended up finishing it though.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

PantsBandit posted:

I remember thinking BD was kinda fun. Never ended up finishing it though.

the superboss is a big golden poo poo

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

precision posted:

the best DQ remake is DQ4 because they put Russians and Scots into the game

does it actually make the game better? DQ4 was the most tedious to play besides maybe 2, and 2 had a remake which made weapons and armor and things a little cheaper, at least.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
ive never liked a dragon quest

maybe i just dont like jrpgs

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Bicyclops posted:

does it actually make the game better? DQ4 was the most tedious to play besides maybe 2, and 2 had a remake which made weapons and armor and things a little cheaper, at least.

it makes the game a lot better, and has the major improvement of allowing you to manually control your party in chapter 5 instead of relying on bad AI

e: and it has all the quality of life improvements the remakes have like access to Boomerangs and Whips in order to make leveling a lot faster and random encounters less annoying in general

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

i only played the first 4, but i imagine it would be pretty hard to get past the absolute tedium of the grind in the early ones if you didn't grow up with them. 1 and 3 still have a special place in my heart. the remakes are a little better, despite the weird boob jokes they add in, because at least it feels like you're getting something in every dungeons besides "a few medical herbs and an inconsequential amount of gold" in between the vast swathes of just beating up monsters to earn experience points.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

precision posted:

it makes the game a lot better, and has the major improvement of allowing you to manually control your party in chapter 5 instead of relying on bad AI

yeah, that alone makes it a way, wayyyyyy better game. that was some horrendous bullshit.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

corn in the bible posted:

ive never liked a dragon quest

maybe i just dont like jrpgs

DQ is admittedly about as barebones as it gets when it comes to JRPG combat, I just stick around for it because I like its approach to storytelling (stock bad guy threatening the world scenario but with tons of character in everything else in the world) more than Final Fantasy's (tries to make the stock bad guy threatening the world interesting).

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

weird boob jokes
But thou bust!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Heavy Lobster posted:

DQ is admittedly about as barebones as it gets when it comes to JRPG combat, I just stick around for it because I like its approach to storytelling (stock bad guy threatening the world scenario but with tons of character in everything else in the world) more than Final Fantasy's (tries to make the stock bad guy threatening the world interesting).

in the world of DQ games, horrible world ending bad guys are normal everyday things and routinely get stopped by fat shopkeepers and grandpas

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I want a Chrono Trigger remake that looks like DQ8 and gets rid of stupid minigame poo poo like chasing the rat, which is really the game's only issue.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

And with more/better battle music.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

FactsAreUseless posted:

I want a Chrono Trigger remake that looks like DQ8 and gets rid of stupid minigame poo poo like chasing the rat, which is really the game's only issue.

Are there any besides chasing the rat and the 3 or 4 button entry combos? i always thought one of Chrono Trigger's strengths was taking a step back from the wacky Final Fantasy mini-game gallery.

e: oh, yeah, the race with THE MAN!! which is about as bad as rat chasing

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

Are there any besides chasing the rat and the 3 or 4 button entry combos? i always thought one of Chrono Trigger's strengths was taking a step back from the wacky Final Fantasy mini-game gallery.

e: oh, yeah, the race with THE MAN!! which is about as bad as rat chasing
And climbing Death Peak. They're minimal but obnoxious when they appear.

Also the soup race with Ayla.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I'd like it if they just made a new Chrono Trigger-like with Toriyama doing art and Mitsuda doing music and people who don't hate you doing encounter and systems design. I don't know why it's so hard to develop a jrpg which doesn't have at least one deep vein of bullshit

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

A Steampunk Gent posted:

I'd like it if they just made a new Chrono Trigger-like with Toriyama doing art and Mitsuda doing music and people who don't hate you doing encounter and systems design. I don't know why it's so hard to develop a jrpg which doesn't have at least one deep vein of bullshit
Judging from the Chrono Trigger DS bonus content, all the talented designers were murdered.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
You know, maybe I'm just crazy, but I don't think I like Atari very much.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

The Kins posted:

You know, maybe I'm just crazy, but I don't think I like Atari very much.

The current Atari is a company that bought the original for the name and copyrights so this doesn't surprise me at all.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I don't even like final fantasy apart from 13-3...

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

precision posted:

in the world of DQ games, horrible world ending bad guys are normal everyday things and routinely get stopped by fat shopkeepers and grandpas

Which is great, and of course no other JRPG series has really taken after that in particular. I guess there aren't a lot of JRPG series that aren't it or Final Fantasy though, which I'm okay with.

I know a lot of people think DQ7 was overlong, and from an objective standpoint it was, but it's the epitome of the kind of RPG you want to make when you're a kid and just discovering the genre, and I'm always willing to overlook its faults just because it's so ambitious.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Remember when ff7 had the weird Tower Defense mini-game at fort Condor that never had any good rewards, and the one time that you had to play it, it was better to lose?

Our lives are the bad mini-games, chasing butterflies and dodging lighting.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

FactsAreUseless posted:

Also give Crono dialogue, he really needs dialogue. His death would have been far more effective if he wasn't practicing for mime school the whole game.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Accordion Man posted:

Also give Crono dialogue, he really needs dialogue. His death would have been far more effective if he wasn't practicing for mime school the whole game.
What the gently caress would Crono say.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Accordion Man posted:

and any time Chrono isn't speaking, Marle should be asking 'hey, what's on your mind Chrono?'

also Chrono should be able to unlock Super Saiyajin transformations from training at the End of Time

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The seething hatred for silent protagonists in video games has been consistent for about half a decade now, and it still makes absolutely no sense at all. Silent protagonists are fine.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

drat, this everyman could be anybody!

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

i liked the way they did it in telltale's walking dead games, where you always had the option to say nothing, if that's what you preferred.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I'm loving sick of Mario. Get a goddamn personality you fat Portuguese sack of poo poo.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Bicyclops posted:

The seething hatred for silent protagonists in video games has been consistent for about half a decade now, and it still makes absolutely no sense at all. Silent protagonists are fine.
They're not if you actually want to have a story and/or you don't have them emote to make up for their lack of talking like Mario in the RPGs. Half-Life 2 is awkward as hell for example because everybody talks to Gordon and he doesn't say anything.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Excels posted:

i liked the way they did it in telltale's walking dead games, where you always had the option to say nothing, if that's what you preferred.

ES usually does that with the Dark Brotherhood quests.

i think they also have ways of having the silent people have personalities and it's part of the creativity as well. skyward sword Link is a different kind of guy from Twilight Princess Link IMO.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Accordion Man posted:

They're not if you actually want to have a story and/or you don't have them emote to make up for their lack of talking. Half-Life 2 is awkward as hell for example because everybody talks to Gordon and he doesn't say anything.

People say "well you're supposed to fill in what you would say, as Gordon, in your head" but they totally mention the fact that he doesn't talk in the dialogue.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

I'm loving sick of Mario. Get a goddamn personality you fat Portuguese sack of poo poo.

mario is on character lockdown. if you want personality then go play a Luigi game. nobody cares about luigi so they give him tons of development

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Crono: "I'll rescue Marle! Give me that amulet!" "What the? Lavos? We have to stop it, come on!" "Not this century, Azala, your reign ends here!" "Lavos... I will... destroy you..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Accordion Man posted:

They're not if you actually want to have a story and/or you don't have them emote to make up for their lack of talking like Mario in the RPGs. Half-Life 2 is awkward as hell for example because everybody talks to Gordon and he doesn't say anything.

Stories are dumb.

• Locked thread