Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

jeeves posted:

Is there any way to force a 4k format on the drives? I've read that non-4k sector can slow down CIFS/SMB performance, as I am still getting like 30MB/50MB write speeds to the NAS. I was hopefully expecting more from my new fresh reinstall :(
If you're writing large sequential files to a basically blank pool, you should still be able to get good performance, even out of CIFS. For fun's sake, toss NAS4Free on a USB thumbdrive and see how that works (you should be able to import the pools without needing to remake them). I found on my hardware that NAS4Free is almost always noticeably faster at CIFS transfers, though I have no idea why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Thanks for the tips guys.

I also read about using iperf, and got a Windows copy of it installed on my computer to run tests to my NAS to see if the write speeds are bound by the network/router/wiring at all.

poxin
Nov 16, 2003

Why yes... I am full of stars!
Well all my server plans are shot to poo poo now. Doesn't look like ESXi is playing nice with this supermicro board and AMD cpu. Debian / Ubuntu won't even install correctly. No passthrough on the storage controller either.

Oddly pfSense worked just fine for installing.

DirectPath I/O was listed as supported but not entirely sure what that is at this point.

poxin fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Mar 12, 2015

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

poxin posted:

Well all my server plans are shot to poo poo now. Doesn't look like ESXi is playing nice with this supermicro board and AMD cpu. Debian / Ubuntu won't even install correctly. No passthrough on the storage controller either.

Oddly pfSense worked just fine for installing.

DirectPath I/O was listed as supported but not entirely sure what that is at this point.

Are you getting a message that you need to reboot when trying to enable pass through? And then it says that after a reboot still?

https://communities.vmware.com/thread/451088?start=0&tstart=0

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
I just set up ZFS on CentOS and working on copying things over from my old NAS. How often should I scrub my pool?

Anyone running CentOS have an issue where the pool is not available on reboot and a import is needed? I had a restart and ran into this issue.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
Amateur question incoming, as I've been using Synology/Xpenology for so long - What exactly is 'scrubbing' the pool? I live in Florida, so I scrub my pool every weekend :saddowns:

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Scrubbing is the ZFS-equivalent of fsck filesystem validation (and repair, if parity data is available), which at least in the bad old days used to require offlining the disk or putting the system into single-user mode - nowadays, modern OS' have background fsck so down-time is minimized and only I/O is impacted (which is also true for ZFS scrubbing). Another little note is that sometimes fsck defaults to only check metadata and not the actual data - whereas scrubbing check everything.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Mar 12, 2015

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
Synology DSM 5.2 Beta is out!

Most notably, DSM is now going to support Virtualization :aaaaa:

poxin
Nov 16, 2003

drat that looks pretty good. Not full on visualization but hey containers are nice too!

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
The main difference between fsck and zpool scrub is that scrub will check all of the data, not just file system metadata. I'm not even sure if fsck can check data, it's pretty focused on fixing the file system itself without worrying about data.

Scrub reads every file, but if I understand it right it's slightly better than that, since it'll also verify the parity data against the checksums.

My server scrubs weekly and it sends me an email every midnight with the status of the zpool. You wouldn't want to do scrubs any more than once a week and I could probably get away with scrubs every two weeks, but a scrub a week is pretty reasonable for consumer drives.

poxin
Nov 16, 2003

phosdex posted:

Are you getting a message that you need to reboot when trying to enable pass through? And then it says that after a reboot still?

https://communities.vmware.com/thread/451088?start=0&tstart=0

Nah, passthrough just isn't supported on my SB700 controller since it's integrated with the southbridge. I have odd problems when installing something like debian or ubuntu too. There are errors installing the base system, and sometimes configuring apt and installing the tools in there. It never finishes the install while everything goes great until that point. Tried all sorts of combinations of VM settings.

Looking around for a 4 port controller for this build which will hopefully solve some of these issues. Anyone have suggestions for that? I've been told to avoid marvell chipsets.

poxin fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Mar 12, 2015

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord

Can anyone help me find a good power supply that fits this case? (Or another case that's also equally tiny?) Apparently it needs a "Flex ATX" psu, for which there don't seem to be a lot of options.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

inklesspen posted:

Can anyone help me find a good power supply that fits this case? (Or another case that's also equally tiny?) Apparently it needs a "Flex ATX" psu, for which there don't seem to be a lot of options.

Get something that supports full size atx or a sfx psu like the DS380

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811163255&cm_re=ds380-_-11-163-255-_-Product

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

inklesspen posted:

This FSP one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817104145&ignorebbr=1&cm_re=flex_atx-_-17-104-145-_-Product

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord

That is a significantly larger case; I plan to be moving this NAS around fairly frequently so size is important.

That's the one I was looking at too, thanks for confirming my suspicion.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

poxin posted:

drat that looks pretty good. Not full on visualization but hey containers are nice too!
FreeBSD jails or bust. Linux people have tried, and failed, many times to make something equivalent to FreeBSD jails - but let's hope they keep trying.
Speaking of jails, iocage is probably my favorite new thing. A few examples of why it's great:
  • You can spin up clones of a production system in a matter of seconds to test something on
  • It provides mili-second thin-provisioning from templates
  • Full control over execution and memory and filesystem quotas
  • A full-featured and very fast network-stack with full virtualization support with both NAT and firewall
All made possible because it's designed from the ground-up to make use of zfs, vnet, and other things in FreeBSD. And the best part is, it doesn't rely on configuration files, so it's not hosed like ezjail once 11.0-RELEASE hits.

Desuwa posted:

The main difference between fsck and zpool scrub is that scrub will check all of the data, not just file system metadata. I'm not even sure if fsck can check data, it's pretty focused on fixing the file system itself without worrying about data.

Scrub reads every file, but if I understand it right it's slightly better than that, since it'll also verify the parity data against the checksums.

My server scrubs weekly and it sends me an email every midnight with the status of the zpool. You wouldn't want to do scrubs any more than once a week and I could probably get away with scrubs every two weeks, but a scrub a week is pretty reasonable for consumer drives.
Yeah, that's kinda what I said. It's a bit complex but I think the way it works (based on something I know about) is the background fsck that FreeBSD does on UFS2 only checks meta-data when run in the background, but if you run fsck from single-user mode or a rescue flashdisk, you can have it repair actual data.
The way scrubs work is, as you say, by reading every block and checking it fully against its checksum.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

inklesspen posted:

That is a significantly larger case; I plan to be moving this NAS around fairly frequently so size is important.

That's the one I was looking at too, thanks for confirming my suspicion.

Moving a NAS around frequently? Sounds like a recipe for disaster.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Jago posted:

Moving a NAS around frequently? Sounds like a recipe for disaster.

Gotta agree with this. What do you plan on doing with it, are you building some kind of mobile recording rig or something?

In any case, you're almost always better off building a separate mobile rig for working/content creation, then transferring the relevant data to the stationary NAS when you get back home.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord
I plan on spending a period of time as a nomad, moving from city to city once a month. I don't plan on trucking the NAS around town, but I do need something that's very small. Dunno why I have to explain this.

inklesspen fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Mar 14, 2015

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
You needed to explain it because spinning disks are delicate and should not be moved around often.

Besides, A good nomad must concentrate on keeping weight and volume down. Do you really need your mp3s and movies while roaming about? Pitch the nas idea, use a cloud service like Dropbox, and find other things to concentrate on. By the sound of it you've got plenty to do.

Comatoast fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Mar 14, 2015

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord
No.

Anyway, I've got everything figured out for this now. Thanks everyone who helped.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

DrDork posted:

If you're writing large sequential files to a basically blank pool, you should still be able to get good performance, even out of CIFS. For fun's sake, toss NAS4Free on a USB thumbdrive and see how that works (you should be able to import the pools without needing to remake them). I found on my hardware that NAS4Free is almost always noticeably faster at CIFS transfers, though I have no idea why.

I finally had time to try out NAS4Free on a seperate thumb drive install, and it looks like my smb transfers are about the same speed (~38-40Mb), even with auto-tuning and prefetch turned on between FreeNAS and NAS4Free.

I take it my bottleneck then must be the N40L's onboard NIC now or something?

Is there any other tests I can to determine so?

Edit - Ran iperf, got:
code:
[132]  0.0-30.7 sec  1.00 GBytes   280 Mbits/sec
And 280Mbits translates to 35Mbytes, so it looks like that syncs up with what Teracopy is seeing. Looks like this may be the onboard NIC on this N40L, or I guess I can try with another machine and not the NAS.

jeeves fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Mar 15, 2015

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
See if it's a Realtek. If so, there's your problem.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Combat Pretzel posted:

See if it's a Realtek. If so, there's your problem.
Results of lspci:

02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5723 Gigabit Ethernet PCIe (rev 10)

I remember hearing rumblings about how people didn't like the onboard NIC of these old HP ProLiant N40L MicroServers, so maybe that's it.

Now that I figured out how to properly make iperf work I'm going to try it on something other than my NAS and see if it's my network or something.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
I've found that if you are not using a hardware Intel nic, you will be disappointed.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Strange, it looks like everywhere on my network is getting sub-35M speeds with my home server to my NAS getting the highest of like 35M-38M.

I guess it's time to look into my router.

SopWATh
Jun 1, 2000

mayodreams posted:

I've found that if you are not using a hardware Intel nic, you will be disappointed.

What does this mean?

I know realtek NICs can suck rear end, but would an Avoton SoC NIC also have problems compared to an external card?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

SopWATh posted:

What does this mean?

I know realtek NICs can suck rear end, but would an Avoton SoC NIC also have problems compared to an external card?

I think it's more the PHY chip that provides the actual port that makes the difference, but I could be totally wrong about that! A port an on Avoton board should still be using the same good stuff from intel I'd guess though.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
I'm planning on building a RAID box I can use to stream media to other PCs on my LAN (think mostly mp3s and HD movies) using this Pentium Dual Core with Hyperthreading 3.2 GHz CPU and 4 GB RAM. Will that be fine for what I'm doing or am I going to need more horse power?

poxin
Nov 16, 2003

GreatGreen posted:

I'm planning on building a RAID box I can use to stream media to other PCs on my LAN (think mostly mp3s and HD movies) using this Pentium Dual Core with Hyperthreading 3.2 GHz CPU and 4 GB RAM. Will that be fine for what I'm doing or am I going to need more horse power?

Generally yes for that functionality but a lot depends on your choice of OS, software/hardware raid and filesystem, streaming applications, etc.

reL
May 20, 2007
So I'd like to build a NAS, but I'd also like to build a new gaming PC and don't have the money for both. As my current hardware is perfectly functional I'm curious about potentially using my current PC as a framework for a NAS, and the feasibility of doing so. This would be a home use case, partly to future proof my storage situation, partly to use as a media center repository, and partly just because I want more to mess around with in my home environment.

So I have an i5-2500k, http://tinyurl.com/bpw5m8m, and an Asus P8H77MCSM motherboard, http://tinyurl.com/lyjzodm. My thoughts were to add an intel NIC like http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA24G1XA5402, and a new case that is more conducive to this application.

Then I'd add this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816101792 to the PCI-e 16x slot and I'd have 10 total 6Gbps SATA slots. I'd drop a 128GB SSD that I have around in as a cache, and purchase a few drives for the NAS and go from there.

I guess what I'd like to know is A: does the cost of the SATA card render this a pointless endeavour, and I should just get a new motherboard + CPU more appropriate for a NAS, and B: how necessary is ECC RAM? It SEEMS like if I want to go DIY and don't want to buy a 300$ board I'm still going to need a SATA expansion card.

Is this plan foolhardy or am I onto something? It seems like I'm looking at ~160$ plus drives and a new enclosure (if I go that route) to have a powerful and expandable NAS.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Are you opposed to used hardware? You can pick up used Intel or Broadcom gigabit PCIe NICs for half that price or less all day long on eBay, and I'd rather have an LSI controller than that Marvell card. You used to be able to pick up an IBM m1015 or one of the many other rebranded LSI controllers out there for $50 or less, but the prices have crept up from there. Should still be cheaper than that Supermicro card though.

And if you're willing to scour eBay enough, you can manage to find a sub-$200 deal now and again on someone selling a Supermicro X8 or X9 motherboard, Xeon X34xx / E3-12xx, and some ECC RAM as a bundle. ECC is something you really want to have if you're concerned about your data getting corrupted without you knowing it.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

poxin posted:

Generally yes for that functionality but a lot depends on your choice of OS, software/hardware raid and filesystem, streaming applications, etc.

I see. Well, I have an extra copy of Win7x64 Pro I thought I'd throw on there and just share with everybody on the network. Nothing too fancy. I just planned on using the integrated RAID controller on the Intel motherboard.

edit: Also, somebody talk me out of setting up a FreeNAS machine. I want to build my own RAID box as an at-home media storage computer and FreeNAS seems really cool and flexible, but I'm reading bits and pieces here and there that talk about it being pretty less-than-ideal and I'd love to get more concrete info about that if anybody has any.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Mar 19, 2015

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
quote is not, in fact, edit.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

GreatGreen posted:

I see. Well, I have an extra copy of Win7x64 Pro I thought I'd throw on there and just share with everybody on the network. Nothing too fancy. I just planned on using the integrated RAID controller on the Intel motherboard.

edit: Also, somebody talk me out of setting up a FreeNAS machine. I want to build my own RAID box as an at-home media storage computer and FreeNAS seems really cool and flexible, but I'm reading bits and pieces here and there that talk about it being pretty less-than-ideal and I'd love to get more concrete info about that if anybody has any.

Do you have any specific questions about it? FreeNAS is pretty great. If you want something a little more polished around the edges, maybe DSM/Synology is a better choice for you. They are both excellent choices for a home media server.

edit: DSM will be significantly more flexible about adding disks in the future as compared to ZFS, which is what you would be using with FreeNAS, and that might be a big selling point for you.

poxin
Nov 16, 2003

If you want something simplistic that just sort of works, a Synology appliance is hard to beat. If you're looking to do customization outside of what they offer in their management interface (DSM) then that is a big trickier. As of this time they don't support any advanced file systems such as ZFS either, which is the fundamental point of a FreeNAS setup.

You could even look into something like XPEnology if you already have hardware you want to use. FreeNAS works well if you have the right hardware to use it on.

poxin fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Mar 20, 2015

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

reL posted:

Is this plan foolhardy or am I onto something? It seems like I'm looking at ~160$ plus drives and a new enclosure (if I go that route) to have a powerful and expandable NAS.
If your budget is tight enough that it's an either/or situation, I would just stick a bunch of drives into a larger PC case, pick a decent software RAID that can work on Windows, and just deal with your machine being down sometimes. You can use something like this kind of backplane in your tower's 5.25" bays. I have one and used it in an Antec 300 case for a while and it worked swell. I'd be willing to sell it to you for like $50 if you do happen to go this route. The big gotcha with ECC RAM though is that your motherboard AND CPU need to support it, and the i5 and i7 CPU series do not have ECC on them. This will limit your choice of CPUs to either some Xeons or an i3 (yes, the lowest tier Intel CPUs have ECC support but the mainstream and enthusiast don't, spiffy). Then add in a Xeon-capable motherboard (likely a C224 chipset) and that adds a little more to the cost as well but in return you almost always get nice Intel NICs so you don't have to spend money on those.

So ballparking a build for base parts on this (new, could probably go cheaper used):

Xeon E3-1235v3 for like $200
2x4GB UDIMM ECC $70
C226 motherboard ATX $150

The motherboard might come with 8 SATA ports so unless you're going for a crap-ton of drives, that should suffice along with the drive bay converter solution.

Or... you can try to build an AMD-based system and pray that ECC works on newer motherboards still and that the AMD CPU you picked isn't one that doesn't have ECC support anymore.

JacksAngryBiome
Oct 23, 2014
I want to chime in on used/auctioned hardware .

One of my gripes with Freenas is that the new version (9.3) dropped support for ufs. I had happily run freenas on a low power amd zacate itx board with 4 gigs of normal ram before that. It was just two WD reds mirrored, but it worked great for family photos, videos, and owncloud.

I didn't want to run zfs without ecc ram, so the zacate board had to go (goodbye you beautiful little fanless wonder). I started looking for the cheapest ecc capable options. That lead to looking at used hardware and a few days scouring yahoo auctions (which is the go-to auction site here).

I ended up picking up a new HP N54L microserver, 8 gigs of ecc included, for about $200 total. It is up and running now, and freenas 9.3 has been nice so far.

If I hadn't found that I'd probably be halfway through migrating the old box to Ubuntu 14.04 with samba and owncloud.

JacksAngryBiome fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Mar 20, 2015

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

JacksAngryBiome posted:

I want to chime in on used/auctioned hardware .

One of my gripes with Freenas is that the new version (9.3) dropped support for ufs. I had happily run freenas on a low power amd zacate itx board with 4 gigs of normal ram before that. It was just two WD reds mirrored, but it worked great for family photos, videos, and owncloud.

I didn't want to run zfs without ecc ram, so the zacate board had to go (goodbye you beautiful little fanless wonder). I started looking for the cheapest ecc capable options. That lead to looking at used hardware and a few days scouring yahoo auctions (which is the go-to auction site here).

I ended up picking up a new HP N54L microserver, 8 gigs of ecc included, for about $200 total. It is up and running now, and freenas 9.3 has been nice so far.

If I hadn't found that I'd probably be halfway through migrating the old box to Ubuntu 14.04 with samba and owncloud.

Microservers are pretty awesome, had mine for a couple of years running Ubuntu with ZOL. Rock solid and a good choice.

With specific Kingston memory you can get them up to 16GB ECC Ram.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reL
May 20, 2007

necrobobsledder posted:

The big gotcha with ECC RAM though is that your motherboard AND CPU need to support it, and the i5 and i7 CPU series do not have ECC on them. This will limit your choice of CPUs to either some Xeons or an i3 (yes, the lowest tier Intel CPUs have ECC support but the mainstream and enthusiast don't, spiffy). Then add in a Xeon-capable motherboard (likely a C224 chipset) and that adds a little more to the cost as well but in return you almost always get nice Intel NICs so you don't have to spend money on those.

The motherboard might come with 8 SATA ports so unless you're going for a crap-ton of drives, that should suffice along with the drive bay converter solution.

Or... you can try to build an AMD-based system and pray that ECC works on newer motherboards still and that the AMD CPU you picked isn't one that doesn't have ECC support anymore.

http://ark.intel.com/products/77773/Intel-Pentium-Processor-G3220-3M-Cache-3_00-GHz

This little Pentium also supports ECC so it's surprising that i5 and i7 don't... It actually looks like picking up one of these with a new motherboard that has 6 SATAIII ports will wind up being cheaper than trying to make my old i5 and garbage motherboard work for this application. I mean, it can be done, but I'm really trying to shoehorn components into something they're not well suited for so it'd wind up less than ideal.

I'm honestly not that hard up on cash that it's a total either/or scenario, it's more about my obsessive desire not to discard a perfectly-good motherboard and processor so I'm trying to repurpose them.

Another consideration I have as I do all this research is expandability. I want to start with, say, 2 2TB drives and leave room for expansion.

FreeNAS Documentation posted:

The recommended method for expanding the size of a ZFS pool is to pre-plan the number of disks in a vdev and to stripe additional vdevs using Volume Manager as additional capacity is needed.

Unlike traditional UNIX filesystems, you do not need to define partition sizes at filesystem creation time. Instead, you feed a certain number of disk(s) at a time (known as a vdev) to a ZFS pool and create filesystems from the pool as needed. As more capacity is needed, identical vdevs can be striped into the pool.

I think I understand how it works, however I'm not seeing why it's said that FreeNAS is not conducive to expansion. If I start with two 2TB mirrored drives in a vdev, I can add a another vdev of two mirrored 5TB drives, or I can hurt my redundancy and add one 5TB drive or something. Or if I want to add one drive and not hurt the integrity of my initial zpool I could create a second zpool with one vdev of one 5TB drive, could I not?

I mean this certainly makes expansion a bit more difficult, and require a bit more foresight, but it certainly isn't impossible. I guess if I were to screw up the vdevs in a zpool and later want to reorganize them I'd have to move all my data and rebuild the zpool from scratch which would be a giant pain, but other than that, is there something I'm missing?