Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

ActusRhesus posted:

remember when you used to be nice?

This definitely never happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

I will note that toona seems to realize that networking is 100% more useful than anything (but 1L grades and journal) you do in law school as far as jobs go.

And not networking in the abstract sense, like the actually knowing one another sense.

When I moved here a couple of years ago, I knew nobody in the area. So, I got involved in temple organizations and local politics, which have a lot of co-mingling.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

the milk machine posted:

Maybe it's boring, but I usually write briefs so as to avoid pissing off opposing counsel and looking petty to the court, but then again we actually have to attempt to work with OC in ADR/settlement talks.

yeah, but we're not prosecutors, so we exist in a world of consequences for our actions

HiddenReplaced posted:

:saddowns:

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735
If the mistakes are minor and obvious I usually just correct them in the quote, which I think is somewhere in our state style guide. I'm the friendliest lawyer. :)

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Soothing Vapors posted:

yeah, but we're not prosecutors, so we exist in a world of consequences for our actions

The problem is that the consequences are such that the original state of the ADR ("go gently caress yourself") is not appreciably different after I snark at opposing counsel ("with a traffic cone.")

So I might as well.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

HiddenReplaced posted:

Feces Starship posted:

[SV,] youve been the most helpful human in regards to this stuff so thank you
proof i used to be nice

suck a butt, losers

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Popero posted:

If the mistakes are minor and obvious I usually just correct them in the quote, which I think is somewhere in our state style guide. I'm the friendliest lawyer. :)

The mistakes are more along the lines of "Jesus Christ, how did this make it out of the editing stage?" Correcting them would require substantive rewrites. Especially in habeas briefs because most of them are subcontracted out to hacks running puppy mill teams of recent grads who churn out poo poo, then bill the state $75/hr for said poo poo pile.

Hey Toona, job opportunity!

Soothing Vapors posted:

Don't hate the player, hate the game.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Soothing Vapors posted:

proof i used to be nice

suck a butt, losers

you remember compliments from 3 years ago?

That's...so very, very sad.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
I'm currently making kissy faces at the judge from the pews while Roger Mudd is arguing. I was rolling by and caught his name on the docket sheet.

Family court best court.

Edit: ten years, toona? What a schmegegge. After 3 you should have a good cash flow.

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Mar 18, 2015

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Hey, Ken Anderson in Texas, who withheld evidence that Michael Morton definitely didn't commit murder, got disbarred and was sentenced to ten whole days in jail.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

CaptainScraps posted:

I'm currently making kissy faces at the judge from the pews while Roger Mudd is arguing. I was rolling by and caught his name on the docket sheet.

Family court best court.

Mr mudd, please halt your argument. I need to have a private word with Mr scraps, in chambers.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

ActusRhesus posted:

you remember compliments from 3 years ago?

That's...so very, very sad.

you guys are jerks

CaptainScraps posted:

haha wtf

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Hey, Ken Anderson in Texas, who withheld evidence that Michael Morton definitely didn't commit murder, got disbarred and was sentenced to ten whole days in jail.

not enough time.

Personally, if I were dictator Queen willful prosecutorial misconduct (as distinguished from "OMG YOU USED THE WORD VICTIM ONCE EVEN THOUGH THE SUPREME COURT SAYS YOU CAN'T SAY VICTIM!!!! MISCONDUCT!!!!! which are the bulk of our "misconduct" claims) would be a felony with a maximum sentence equal to the sentence the defendant faced.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Soothing Vapors posted:

:hf:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

ActusRhesus posted:

so, does anyone else feel :smugdog: when quoting opposing counsel's brief and getting to use [sic] multiple times?

no, but I am feeling :smugdog: now that i found YET ANOTHER email that opposing counsel attached to their pleadings for no reason that's devastating to their case that we didn't yet have. even more devastating than the direct lie.

what on earth guys, you're making this way too easy

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Now I went to my court hearing and told the district judge that the attorney I'm filling in for is bald and ugly and she agreed and laughed.

This is why I get paid the small bucks.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

ActusRhesus posted:

willful prosecutorial misconduct [sh]ould be a felony with a maximum sentence equal to the sentence the defendant faced.

Hammurabi's Code posted:

[3] If any one bring an accusation of any crime before the elders, and does not prove what he has charged, he shall, if it be a capital offense charged, be put to death.

Some things we got right the first time.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
I like #2 personally

Hammurabi posted:

2. If any one bring an accusation against a man, and the accused go to the river and leap into the river, if he sink in the river his accuser shall take possession of his house. But if the river prove that the accused is not guilty, and he escape unhurt, then he who had brought the accusation shall be put to death, while he who leaped into the river shall take possession of the house that had belonged to his accuser.

e: five would be pretty sweet too, I must say

Hammurabi posted:

5. If a judge try a case, reach a decision, and present his judgment in writing; if later error shall appear in his decision, and it be through his own fault, then he shall pay twelve times the fine set by him in the case, and he shall be publicly removed from the judge's bench, and never again shall he sit there to render judgement.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I like #2 personally

Be a strong swimmer, commit any crime and get a free house!

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Soothing Vapors posted:

you guys are jerks

I'd give it all up to be a mysterious misanthrope king.

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

Soothing Vapors posted:

proof i used to be nice

suck a butt, losers

*Feces Starship, now but a cruel deformed husk of himself, stirs slightly in a darkened corner visible through your peripheral vision*

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Feces Starship posted:

*Feces Starship, now but a cruel deformed husk of himself, stirs slightly in a darkened corner visible through your peripheral vision*
lol

I tried to warn u, bro. I tried

joat mon posted:

I'd give it all up to be a mysterious misanthrope king.
that still remains the nicest thing anyone has ever said to me

Gleri
Mar 10, 2009

Soothing Vapors posted:

There are plenty of consequences for my actions thank you very much. People go to jail because of me all the time. Sometimes they don't and they just get probation.

What do biglaw lawyers do, move money around?

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
I've been editing a case to contribute to a textbook on current controversies in the law (a friend is the editor). My instructions were to pick a SCOTUS case, edit down the majority/dissent, add a few paragraphs of background to the front and conclusion to the rear. For this weekend task I am being paid a few hundred dollars; every year, new cases must be contributed because that is how the publisher eliminates the resale market for public domain information.

~*~hooray~*~

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Gleri posted:

There are plenty of consequences for my actions thank you very much. People go to jail because of me all the time. Sometimes they don't and they just get probation.

:lol:

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Gleri posted:

The prison state vs. the aristocracy in a morality contest.

Don't go to law school.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Soothing Vapors posted:

Feces Starship posted:

your internet persona archetype is "mysterious misanthrope king"
that still remains the nicest thing anyone has ever said to me

Mysterious Misanthrope King

I like a man to be a man,
and to show on all occasions
the bottom of his heart
in his discourse.

joat mon fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Mar 18, 2015

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Gleri posted:

Sleep at night.

(Well, okay, sleep for a three or four hour portion of the night, five hours on weekends.)

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

I sleep fine. :)

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

ActusRhesus posted:

I sleep fine. :)

Various D&D threads (and this one) have convinced me that you are a prosecutorial unicorn, so you're excluded from the sample.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

joat mon posted:

the bottom of his heart
in his discourse.

holy poo poo

welp, new avatar time

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Gleri posted:

you know those lakes and rivers and national parks you bluestate babymen are always shedding milky tears about? i help mining companies dump sludge in them

~*work that matters*~

SlothBear posted:

Don't go to law school.
hahahahaha

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

SlothBear posted:

Don't go to law school.

It's an easy win for the side you're on.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

joat mon posted:

the bottom of his heart
in his discourse.

Hahaha

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Soothing Vapors posted:

you know those lakes and rivers and national parks you bluestate babymen are always shedding milky tears about? i help mining companies dump sludge in them

~*work that matters*~

hahahahaha

Ah, environmental law.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

CaptainScraps posted:

Family court best court.

I wish I would have caught this while it occurred but you are welcome do to this at all my hearings.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Roger_Mudd posted:

I wish I would have caught this while it occurred but you are welcome do to this at all my hearings.

I'm still boggling why he didn't exercise jurisdiction. Only you have it under uccjea. gently caress the standing order.

Stop
Nov 27, 2005

I like every pitch, no matter where it is.
Finally found a full-time job after a long search

Reasonable hours, decent pay, health and dental, LRAP eligible, and a generous pension plan.

Maybe go to law school.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Stop posted:

Finally found a full-time job after a long search

Reasonable hours, decent pay, health and dental, LRAP eligible, and a generous pension plan.

Maybe go to law school.

Congrats! Quoting this before you can replace it with "."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Soothing Vapors posted:

Congrats! Quoting this before you can replace it with "."

Your av should be the entire magic card.