Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Delorence Fickle posted:

I could see these ships being a tier 8 premium or even set up as its own "experimental battleship" line on the US tech tree.

"Tillman IV" might be a bit OP when you look at it's stats:

Yeah, some of the earlier ones might actually work. I kind of expect the best spot for them on the tech tree to go to the 1920s south Dakota design though, so premium is semi-likely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BuhamutZeo
Jun 1, 2011

Tiger Crazy posted:

I thought this video was pretty cool showing the way they loaded they massive 16in gun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OmOQs0ziSU&t=3s

This video is amazing.

"It's a lotta turret" :haw:
"An outstanding case where's it's better to give than to receive." :smug:

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

The only damage that needs buffing is dive bombers for CVs, travel time or rearm time could be tweaked if that isn't enough (there's some skills/upgrades for this though).

Biggest issue is the weirdo fighter DPS figures.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback

Tahirovic posted:

The disparity between air power is what I mean, if you're up against a CV a tier higher than you, your fighters will get shredded even in a 2 vs 1 situation. They need to either fix that or fix the MM for it. Fixing it with health alone might not be a good idea since plane hp needs to increase to counter ever increasing AA with tiers.

Maybe I am just bad with my Sapian but I really don't feel like I manage to do that much damage, hard to tell without total damage being displayed on the scoreboard tough. On most maps if you want to stay safe you can launch 1 torpedo attack roughly every 2 minutes, so that's what 4 torpedo hits every 2 minutes? If it's more then I just assume that you're really good and probably shouldn't be taken into account when it comes to balance, since you'd do well in any boat.

I'm not that good at playing my CV, but I have my moments. When I do well, I crush it. Every flight of torpedo bombers has the ability to completely wreck up any capital ship you throw them up against. Even if you fail to kill them outright, a good run leaves them broken and bloody.

The problem with boosting them is that they're already real bastards when you play them to their full potential. Dive bombers need work, yes, but torpedo bombers? Those things hurt. Getting sandwiched between two flights of them is basically game over for any BB you throw them against.

If they're boosted further because people can't use them to their fullest potential, the people that can do well with them right now will crush it. It's the same with BBs. You could argue that the long reload on their guns is a great burden for people that can't aim, but serious balance problems would pop up if BBs were made any stronger.

You can see how much damage you're doing if you linger until the end of a game and check out a detailed report, by the way.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Li-G09vw9bc
never be afraid to beach yourself, if the time is right.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Do destroyers even get spotting XP and credits?

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

BadLlama posted:

Do destroyers even get spotting XP and credits?

i dunno, do any boats get those in this game?

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Delorence Fickle posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maximum_battleship

:stare:

I don't care how they do it, but they need to put those things in the game.
This was linked in the "see also" section:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Incomparable

20-inch guns. :staredog: Also, I first read the name as HMS Inoperable, which probably would've been quite fitting, really.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

I'm not that good at playing my CV, but I have my moments. When I do well, I crush it. Every flight of torpedo bombers has the ability to completely wreck up any capital ship you throw them up against. Even if you fail to kill them outright, a good run leaves them broken and bloody.

The problem with boosting them is that they're already real bastards when you play them to their full potential. Dive bombers need work, yes, but torpedo bombers? Those things hurt. Getting sandwiched between two flights of them is basically game over for any BB you throw them against.

If they're boosted further because people can't use them to their fullest potential, the people that can do well with them right now will crush it. It's the same with BBs. You could argue that the long reload on their guns is a great burden for people that can't aim, but serious balance problems would pop up if BBs were made any stronger.

You can see how much damage you're doing if you linger until the end of a game and check out a detailed report, by the way.
I think the main problem with carriers at the moment is the lack of a tutorial or firing range to practice torpedo bombing. It is hard to get the hang of the timing for manual drops when you start with one wing of bombers and have several minutes of flight time and reloading between drops. There is way less margin for error and feedback for mistakes than the slowest reloading and traversing battleship guns.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

Nordick posted:

This was linked in the "see also" section:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Incomparable

20-inch guns. :staredog: Also, I first read the name as HMS Inoperable, which probably would've been quite fitting, really.

Am I reading that correctly ? Tillman IV was designed with a main battery of 24(!) sixteen inch guns?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Saint Celestine posted:

Am I reading that correctly ? Tillman IV was designed with a main battery of 24(!) sixteen inch guns?

IV-2 had 15 18 inch guns, which considering the ratio of 5 18s to 12 16s I remember from Montana design studies is similarly nuts.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

hopterque posted:

Knowing Wargaming we're gonna get a ton of insane paper projects and stuff that only ever existed as a tall tale told around a campfire.

I can't wait.

Unlike the paper tanks, paper ships typically received a lot more effort and were way more fleshed-out before being discarded. The Montana-class was all ready to go until the US decided it didn't need a giant anti-Yamato BB when aircraft carriers were working just fine; similarly, the Super Yamato-class designed to counter the Montana was completely planned out, but was never built because they had to divert production to other ships. Even ships that were never really expected to be built got lots of attention as theoretical exercises.

Nordick posted:

The Super Yamato was going to have 6 20-inch guns. To replace those lame 18-inch popguns on the Yamato.

Japan really went in hard on the "Bigger is better" school of thought. The Shinano at 65,000 tons was, I believe, the biggest non-nuclear carrier ever built.

Vengarr fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Mar 18, 2015

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.
Well, Diagansui has already shown up on the WoWS forums, so who knows, maybe we'll see an H-45 be put into the game and wehraboo dreams will be fulfilled.

^^^ The Saratoga class was considerably larger than the Shinano and was non-nuclear.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
lmbo 3 cleveland division is the greatest poo poo ever.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Adventure Pigeon posted:

^^^ The Saratoga class was considerably larger than the Shinano and was non-nuclear.

Wikipedia lists its displacement as 20 thousand tons less

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

grrarg posted:

I think the main problem with carriers at the moment is the lack of a tutorial or firing range to practice torpedo bombing. It is hard to get the hang of the timing for manual drops when you start with one wing of bombers and have several minutes of flight time and reloading between drops. There is way less margin for error and feedback for mistakes than the slowest reloading and traversing battleship guns.

Agreed. I can't honestly say I'd have known about manual mode or how to make it work if I there weren't posts on the forum, and gameplay vids on Youtube I went looking for. They should just put tutorial videos embedded in the game, under help. 'This is how you launch torps manually, this how you work your planes, this is the difference between HE/AP,' etc. Simple things that are easily translated, and transmit as much information through pure visuals as possible.

But even if that happened, I doubt more than a few people would take advantage of it. WG's playerbase has always been thick as poo poo and twice as stupid.

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.

gwrtheyrn posted:

Wikipedia lists its displacement as 20 thousand tons less

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Saratoga_%28CV-60%29

Sorry, I'm dumb. I meant the Forrestal class. The Kitty Hawks and Kennedy class were larger too, I think.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Adventure Pigeon posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Saratoga_%28CV-60%29

Sorry, I'm dumb. I meant the Forrestal class. The Kitty Hawks and Kennedy class were larger too, I think.

Of course there was more than one. This one has a more interesting end though. Sunk by atomic bomb test :v:

Kuntz
Feb 17, 2011

Nordick posted:

Also, I first read the name as HMS Inoperable, which probably would've been quite fitting, really.

I liked the sound of this and googled it, look what I found.

:c00l: http://rcnc.rcwarshipcombat.com/Portals/0/Users/Kotori87/Complete%20List%20of%20I-boats.txt :c00l:

HMS Inexplainable
HMS Insubmergible
HMS Irretrievable
HMS Inoxidizable
And my favourite: HMS Inextinguishable :supaburn:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Kuntz posted:

:c00l: http://rcnc.rcwarshipcombat.com/Portals/0/Users/Kotori87/Complete%20List%20of%20I-boats.txt :c00l:

HMS Inexplainable
HMS Insubmergible
HMS Irretrievable
HMS Inoxidizable

Brits have the best ship names, honestly. The US ship naming system is boring as gently caress.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Kuntz posted:

HMS Inexplainable
HMS Insubmergible
HMS Irretrievable
HMS Inoxidizable

This is a mix of amazingly good names and amazingly bad ones.

HMS Immedicable
HMS Implantable
HMS Implausable
HMS Incircumcisable
HMS Insultable

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
Surprisingly enough, The Forrestal class only displaces 60,000.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

Vengarr posted:

Japan really went in hard on the "Bigger is better" school of thought. The Shinano at 65,000 tons was, I believe, the biggest non-nuclear carrier ever built.

The funny thing is that the Shinano had a relatively small air group compared to other fleet CVs, something like 40-50 planes, roughly half as much as the US CVs had. The ship should have aided a task force by providing fuel and support, thanks to her enormous loading capacity. Only by the time she was launched (and promptly sunk) the battle was getting closer to the home islands already anyway, so that such a ship had no real use anymore. :navy sperging off:

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Adventure Pigeon posted:

Well, Diagansui has already shown up on the WoWS forums, so who knows, maybe we'll see an H-45 be put into the game and wehraboo dreams will be fulfilled.

Nahh. that stuff's too nuts for Dai, and if anything it'd be glorious Nippon superships, but there's much worse on those forums.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Mar 18, 2015

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

xthetenth posted:

Nahh. that stuff's too nuts for Dai, and if anything it'd be glorious Nippon superships, but there's much worse on those forums.

Comedy option: Surcouf as a French destroyer?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Cythereal posted:

Comedy option: Surcouf as a French destroyer?

Nahh, the most delusional people are the ones who think the Germans ever built modern WWII ships.

Surcouf would be funny but everybody knows the one true tier ten destroyers are the mogadors and capitani romani.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

This is a mix of amazingly good names and amazingly bad ones.

HMS Immedicable
HMS Implantable
HMS Implausable
HMS Incircumcisable
HMS Insultable

HMS Manligheten still takes the cake for actual ship names. Captain: Johnny Bravo.

This being wargaming I fully expect all this crazy paper poo poo to be in as some sort of Tier X+ or Tier XI.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Pimpmust posted:

HMS Manligheten still takes the cake for actual ship names. Captain: Johnny Bravo.

This being wargaming I fully expect all this crazy paper poo poo to be in as some sort of Tier X+ or Tier XI.

Overall they seem to have picked considerably more sensible tens than in tanks. Good candidates for destroyer tens are more common than not, there's some good cruisers to be had, battleships aren't too nonsensical, and carriers are there for nations that had them.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Adventure Pigeon posted:

The Kriegsmarine is going to need at least one of the H ships, probably 41, because the Bismarck isn't remotely feasible as a tier 10. The gently caress is a H-45 though?

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Kuntz posted:

HMS Inexplainable
HMS Insubmergible
HMS Irretrievable
HMS Inoxidizable
Oh god, these are amazing. :haw:

HMS Ignoble
HMS Immemorable
HMS Interchangeable
HMS Inconceivable

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

It's a shame that the HMS Gay Viking was just a motor gun boat. Not to mention the notable butt pirate HMS Gay Corsair.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

They really should buff the turning speed of guns on the Japanese destroyer. Moving around and evading fire is your primary means of not exploding, but this means you can't use your guns. At all. Sometimes your ship goes so fast that you can't bring your guns on target fast enough to track it and take a shot.

Them having shittier guns than the US DDs is enough, really, they don't also need to be almost useless.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

They really should buff the turning speed of guns on the Japanese destroyer. Moving around and evading fire is your primary means of not exploding, but this means you can't use your guns. At all. Sometimes your ship goes so fast that you can't bring your guns on target fast enough to track it and take a shot.

Them having shittier guns than the US DDs is enough, really, they don't also need to be almost useless.

One tip I got is that the Aiming Expertise skill is supposed to work wonders on them. +2,5°/s is a ~55% buff in traverse rate! Bit silly to have them so reliant on a single skill though.

Now if only I could get a few piasters to actually try it out...

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

Nordick posted:

Oh god, these are amazing. :haw:

HMS Ignoble
HMS Immemorable
HMS Interchangeable
HMS Inconceivable

This document is the gift that keeps on giving.

HMS Inflammable
HMS Irreclaimable
HMS Irredeemable

If we ever get to name our ships I'm totally calling HMS Inflammable.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Not really, you get better torpedoes, faster and more agile ships. Your trade off are worse guns that take longer to turn. Take away the turret advantage on US DD why would you even play one then?

Ugh the tier 7 US DD only goes 35 knots kill me now.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
The research for a Swedish branch has already begun. Implementation in 2020, maybe? (no ships above ~9000 tons deplacement, no aircraft carriers - it's destroyers and "pocket battlecruisers" all the way down)

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

xthetenth posted:

IV-2 had 15 18 inch guns, which considering the ratio of 5 18s to 12 16s I remember from Montana design studies is similarly nuts.

Does anyone have a picture of these? Even if you go French and stuff 4 guns per turret, you're still looking at 6 goddamn turrets on this ship.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Was just put in a game by myself against a Yamato, a Baltimore, and a Mogami. What?

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

BadLlama posted:

Was just put in a game by myself against a Yamato, a Baltimore, and a Mogami. What?

Did you win?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

YellerBill posted:

This document is the gift that keeps on giving.

HMS Inflammable
HMS Irreclaimable
HMS Irredeemable

If we ever get to name our ships I'm totally calling HMS Inflammable.

I mean, I assume this is nothing official (no poo poo) but just some sort of complication of procedurally generated words, considering the first one is just "HMS Ible", but whatever, they're hilarious.