Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

JerryLee posted:

Well mechanically (for as little as I know that's worth) Ugin could wake up and immediately exile Sarkhan plus like 95% of DTK's dragons, including four out of five dragonlords. :v:

Yeah, don't get my comments wrong, I think Sarkhan's character sketch has a lot of interesting and potentially even sympathetically flawed stuff in it. It's a question of how it gets treated, combined with the inherent limitations of the format to present interesting nuance or character development.

Frankly, I was pretty impressed when the end of the Theros mini-arc had some legitimate (if presumably temporary) consequences for Elspeth.

We haven't even seen the storyline that results in Sarkhan Unbroken, Ugin's escape or what's actually happening on Tarkir, so I'll withhold judgment as to whether his character arc and the plot arc were any good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

AlternateNu posted:

I want to see pissed off Zombie Elspeth. Seriously. More than I want to see the origins of Jace/Chandra/Lili.

The next time we see her, I hope she's killing and replacing Heliod. gently caress that guy.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

AlternateNu posted:

I want to see pissed off Zombie Elspeth. Seriously. More than I want to see the origins of Jace/Chandra/Lili.

I imagine they're saving a B/W "Elspeth, Returned" for a special occasion. Maybe the next time we run into the Phyrexians?

Also I don't think she'd be pissed off since the Returned have no memories of their time in the Underworld or their former lives. She'd just be bouncing from place to place doing whatever with her cool gold mask.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Angry Grimace posted:

We haven't even seen the storyline that results in Sarkhan Unbroken, Ugin's escape or what's actually happening on Tarkir, so I'll withhold judgment as to whether his character arc and the plot arc were any good.

Yeah, okay, that's fair enough to say. You can tell that I have trouble giving Wizards creative the benefit of the doubt, but I'm happy for you if you can. :v:

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
If there's anything that'll will show Sarkhan to be a more sympathetic to most people it may be realizing that Dragons ruling everyone isn't the best thing exactly, but as it stands he's not a bad. He has a pretty straightforward aspect to his character; he worships loving Dragons. They're pretty worth worshipping, seeing as they are generally badass. He's gone a little insane due to the whole "mind hosed by Bolas" poo poo, which is totally understandable.

Now that he's cured of that, he's brought back the dragons but may not have quite caught the implications of everyone being Dragon slaves yet. At the same time I'm fine with him sticking to his guns, rather than falling for mandatory golden mean'ery, if that might across too forced.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Rimusutera posted:

Now that he's cured of that, he's brought back the dragons but may not have quite caught the implications of everyone being Dragon slaves yet. At the same time I'm fine with him sticking to his guns, rather than falling for mandatory golden mean'ery, if that might across too forced.

Dragon Slave owns tho.

Symphonie
Dec 24, 2010

lol just flamestrike it idk

Cernunnos posted:

I imagine they're saving a B/W "Elspeth, Returned" for a special occasion. Maybe the next time we run into the Phyrexians?

Also I don't think she'd be pissed off since the Returned have no memories of their time in the Underworld or their former lives. She'd just be bouncing from place to place doing whatever with her cool gold mask.

She's not wearing that mask though, the entire point of that stinger cinematic was that it's just sitting there, unworn. (Though considering that Doug had to go out of his way to explain that on his tumblr they obviously didn't make that point clear enough)

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Symphonie posted:

She's not wearing that mask though, the entire point of that stinger cinematic was that it's just sitting there, unworn. (Though considering that Doug had to go out of his way to explain that on his tumblr they obviously didn't make that point clear enough)

And the mask has the Godsend jewels embedded into it. :getin:

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Symphonie posted:

Nope, they didn't. I thought that was her final forged mask before it was going to go on her face. I mean, we have seen them put on masks in the art.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Symphonie posted:

I can only imagine the storyline for Elpseth's return is that she comes back vaguely evil (maybe B/W, which is frequently a tokens color, and she's a tokens PW) and Ajani tries to save her.

I'd like to see some of the lesser-known (e.g. non-human) planeswalkers get more cards. Playable Tibbles would be hilarious.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
BW Tokens Elspeth would just be basically BW Sorin 3.0 Which is my problem with making her BW.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

I can only imagine the storyline for Elpseth's return is that she comes back vaguely evil (maybe B/W, which is frequently a tokens color, and she's a tokens PW) and Ajani tries to save her.

I'd like to see some of the lesser-known (e.g. non-human) planeswalkers get more cards. Playable Tibbles would be hilarious.

I don't know, considering that Elspeth's story is about her learning to be an individual instead of glorified middle management and zombies in black basically being slaves, I'd say it'd be more about her escaping the gods' fate for her.

No idea about mechanics though.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Ramos posted:

Nope, they didn't. I thought that was her final forged mask before it was going to go on her face. I mean, we have seen them put on masks in the art.

That card is literally exiling a individual creature's identity to create a identityless token.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Rimusutera posted:

BW Tokens Elspeth would just be basically BW Sorin 3.0 Which is my problem with making her BW.

Sure, but every Elspeth we've had is just token-creating Elspeth. Its kind of part of her character.

She's a mono-W character stuck in the mono-black underworld. Every "returned" character they had in Theros block was black (except Murder King, who was B/R), so it just logically follows that's how she'd end up. Mono-Black Zombie creating Elspeth might be amusing though.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Mar 18, 2015

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Rimusutera posted:

The last two Sorins have been about slowly developing an army while buffing it, while the last two elspeths have been about developing an army very quickly, killing bigger creatures, and maybe getting bonuses for your creatures. I think a BW Elspeth would play out differently from the last two Sorins.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Either Wizards had some kind of tech screw-up or someone accidentally took their RG Aggro Standard deck into the Modern Daily yesterday and finished 3-1. You can see the deck listed on wizards.com too.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Someone did that with Rakdos Aggro a couple seasons ago and went 4-0.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Yeah that does happen from time to time, particularly with faster decks

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

Angry Grimace posted:

Sure, but every Elspeth we've had is just token-creating Elspeth. Its kind of part of her character.

She's a mono-W character stuck in the mono-black underworld. Every "returned" character they had in Theros block was black (except Murder King, who was B/R), so it just logically follows that's how she'd end up. Mono-Black Zombie creating Elspeth might be amusing though.

My point was that that's sort of Sorin's shtck now, just as Mono-white tokens is Elspeth's. They kinda push onto each other's design space if they print her BW, or at least risk doing so. Which is what I'm worried.

I just hope they find new ground to tread with each if they do this, or manage to set her apart from Sorin well enough.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

While not a tournament I accidentally double clicked a guys legacy room in tournament practice while using my pauper goblins deck and took him out. Though his deck was making GBS threads itself pretty hard.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Yeah, as long as your deck is legal for the format it won't stop you from joining, so I can see clicking modern instead of standard by accident and going "gently caress it, I paid the entry, let's do this".

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Rimusutera posted:

My point was that that's sort of Sorin's shtck now, just as Mono-white tokens is Elspeth's. They kinda push onto each other's design space if they print her BW, or at least risk doing so. Which is what I'm worried.

I just hope they find new ground to tread with each if they do this, or manage to set her apart from Sorin well enough.

I think the design space is there. B/W isn't super narrow or anything, just have a more black effect that's not something Sorin already does.

Entropic posted:

Yeah, as long as your deck is legal for the format it won't stop you from joining, so I can see clicking modern instead of standard by accident and going "gently caress it, I paid the entry, let's do this".

I once accidentally entered an MTGO Vintage tournament with my Brave Naya RTR-THS standard deck.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Mar 18, 2015

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Angry Grimace posted:

I once accidentally entered an MTGO Vintage tournament with my Brave Naya RTR-THS standard deck.

I joined a modern 2-man with Blue Tron instead of Norin Soul Sisters once bu accident.

My buddy 3/1d a Vintage dailywith modern Burn when MTGO decided to load the wrong deck in the wrong format. To be fair he's also in the VSL, sooo.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

JerryLee posted:

The lesson is "be one of the intended nerd self-inserts," just like it is with Jace.

I mean really, you spell it out yourself. He gets to display his devotion to his spirit animal, saves m'lady, and totally shows the meathead who disrespected him. It's basically going down the list of lovely nerd stereotypes and ticking off boxes. Like, I think that saving people and having jerks get their comeuppance are nice too, but it's when you put them all together as "Sarkhan gets everything he wants and doesn't worry about why it's lovely" that it reads as some sort of power/gratification fantasy.

His smug expression on the DTK planeswalker card is really just the icing on the cake.

Since Sarkhan was introduced in Alara, he was a villain that was obsessed with dragons and didn't seem to care about making things better for people. He was an antagonist on Zendikar and a henchman of Bolas, so I see this story as continuation of his quest to find worthy dragons.

I do think the story was weak, because there wasn't much conflict or an opposing force really, but I don't think Wizards ever characterized it as a heroic quest. Wizards wanted to sell a set with a whole bunch of dragons in it, and that's what Sarkhan wanted too.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Entropic posted:

Someone did that with Rakdos Aggro a couple seasons ago and went 4-0.

I ran Boss Sligh against a friend's UWR deck and beat him 2-0. The best moment was topdecking a Monastery Swiftspear with him tapped out and both of us at 1 life.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

As Magic stories go I actually really like this one, for one thing it doesn't show time travel as some instant cure-all fix nor was the tension in the story some arbitrary bullshit to do with time travel. Sarkhan saved Ugin, but he sacrificed the autonomy and agency of his people in doing so, admittedly putting them in much the same situation they were going to be in before. It's pretty dark and the protagonists are all insane, without it all being totally over the top. If the marketing was a little less childish I honestly think the story would have come off a little better.

I actually don't think the Silumgar are in a worse spot than the Sultai were. Honestly, seems kinda better for the humans. Ojutai is pretty clearly worse than Jeskai, and Atarka is pretty grim, but really the Mardu lost out the most. Addicted to this stuff?

Fate worse than death

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp
I can't find that chart with all the corresponding cards and I'm probably way late to the party here but I just noticed this, thought it was cute:

I don't think there's an analog in DTK, though.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

suicidesteve posted:

I joined a modern 2-man with Blue Tron instead of Norin Soul Sisters once bu accident.

My buddy 3/1d a Vintage dailywith modern Burn when MTGO decided to load the wrong deck in the wrong format. To be fair he's also in the VSL, sooo.

Who is it?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Spiderdrake posted:

. If the marketing was a little less childish I honestly think the story would have come off a little better.

Is there a Magic story arc that you can't say this about?

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

99% sure its Rich Shay.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

JerryLee posted:

Lorwyn, for starters.

Though I'm not sure how Magic's storyline is all that childish, no more than most adult TV nowadays.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Cernunnos posted:

Since I took a 3 year hiatus, is there a cliff's notes version of the magic history from Scars of Mirrodin onward?

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
Pretty sure some guy took last season's UW Control to a modern event and went undefeated at a... GP trial?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Sigma-X posted:

Since I took a 3 year hiatus, is there a cliff's notes version of the magic history from Scars of Mirrodin onward?

The Eldrazi and Phyrexians haven't done anything relevant since then, so you're OK. Innistrad was all about Sorin realizing that the vampires on his home plane were driving their human food source to extinction, so he needed to help the humans survive. We went back to Ravnica, and left Jace there. Elspeth went to Theros to find allies against the Eldrazi, and died. Sarkhan and Sorin went to Tarkir to find Ugin, and since he's dead, Sarkhan went back in time to save him.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Ramos posted:

Though I'm not sure how Magic's storyline is all that childish, no more than most adult TV nowadays.
Except we weren't talking about that.

JerryLee posted:

Generally I think that's probably correct but there's such a huge disconnect between this rather dystopian, no real heroes, survival of the multiverse on the back of an actually legitimately crazy man getting Sorin's crew of pragmatists back together narrative and a bunch of grown adults whooping WILL THERE BE DARGONS! OMG DARGONS! up on stage. It's a little games workshopian.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Sigma-X posted:

Midrange took over and we now live in a world run by Rhinos

also something about Elspeth dying and Jace literally becoming the law

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

TheKingofSprings posted:

Midrange took over and we now live in a world run by Rhinos

This is my favorite absurdist play but it's really tragic that it's happening in a card game i like to play.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Elyv posted:

I hate Sarkhan, can we trade him for Koth or Elspeth or something? Dude is crazy.

Sarkhan is great, he's like if Timmy was a planeswalker, right down to thinking 'more dragons' is a good gameplan.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Entropic posted:

Sarkhan seems pretty oblivious, he just loves dragons so much, he just wants to pet the pretty dragons, what, the plane is a hellscape now? I can't hear you I'm playing with my draaagons. :allears: :smaug:

Sarkhan confirmed for Timmy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Sigma-X posted:

Innistrad was gothic horror. Nothing of note happened in terms of the ongoing storyline other than Liliana acquired a magic veil and Garruk was cursed by it, so now he's sort of evil and G/B.

Return to Ravnica was basically Jace Beleren fanfiction. He went there and solved everyone's problems and was proclaimed basically king of the entire loving planet.

Theros was Elspeth going to Not Greek Mythology Themepark. She met some dude and they hosed, but then this other planeswalker tricked her into murdering him so he could be a God (the world has Gods who get power if enough people believe they are Gods). She decides he's a dick and tracks him down. She makes a couple of deals with other Gods to do this, but then when she succeeds in killing the mean God, the other Gods turn out to be dickbags and kill her and then drag her to the underworld. She's "dead," but very clearly still sitting around there.

Khans of Tarkir block is Sarkhan going home because he's loving nuts and Ugin (one of Sorin's mates) convinced him to go there and do some time-travel poo poo. There's no actual method described how he does this, he just does. He saves Ugin and goes back to the present where he now has even more powers and dragons are everywhere. Also, his waifu from the previous timeline of Tarkir is now a planewalker also.

• Locked thread