Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

Novum posted:

Also it had the cell phone trick

Pencil

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

Novum posted:

Also it had the cell phone trick

Masked vigilante discovers weird old trick the government doesn't want you to know.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Midnight Raider posted:

Masked vigilante discovers weird old trick the government doesn't want you to know.

Opticians hate him!

Oh, wait, that's the pencil trick again.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Non Serviam posted:

You're right! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TJ3Yv_vgUc

I never realized that the guy was sitting there.

It's the opposite for me. I could have sworn there was a scene of him yelling and struggling.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Non Serviam posted:

I always thought that was kind of the point of the way that scene was shot - it shows just how little of a poo poo the joker (and I guess, his point would also be, society) gives about burning a dude alive in a truly horrible way, to not focus on it *at all* and instead have the camera, and the mobsters, all focus on the fact that he's burning the money.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I'd have preferred a more noticeable burning the dude. It wasn't until someone pointed it out to me that I was like OH YEA, there IS a guy there!

God drat. Same here. I knew he burned the money but not the guy.

I forget which thread pointed it out to me but I remember in the same thread I was going on and on about the scenes in Japan and another goon reminded me that it was Hong Kong. I didn't mind that subplot though. It sort of cemented how Joker was just straight up coming in stealing the mobs's money, killing the guy who was laundering it and totally taking over the city.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Non Serviam posted:

Guy says "hey Jim, get a load of this!" before anything has happened on the TV yet. He psychically knows that something good is coming up next.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Zaphod42 posted:

Guy says "hey Jim, get a load of this!" before anything has happened on the TV yet. He psychically knows that something good is coming up next.

He's watching a guy on television claiming he's going to reveal the identity of the Batman, whom he knows Gordon is associated with (both officially in that he was supposed to be hunting him down, and unofficially in that he works with him), so it makes sense he'd point it out to him. That the Joker then hijacks the program to put a bounty on the squealer's head is incidental.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Either that or he was about to switch channel to a video of goatse he prepared earlier, but then the other stuff happened instead.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Jerusalem posted:

He's watching a guy on television claiming he's going to reveal the identity of the Batman, whom he knows Gordon is associated with (both officially in that he was supposed to be hunting him down, and unofficially in that he works with him), so it makes sense he'd point it out to him. That the Joker then hijacks the program to put a bounty on the squealer's head is incidental.

I forgot news stations constantly spoil you about what they're going to do next.

"We're going to tell you the secret identity of Batman...... but first, lets talk about the weather and go to commercial!"

but still, he's watching the show and then they get a call on the phone, and that's when he chooses to go "Jim! This part!", how does he know its not just some old lady saying "I don't think you should tell people who batman is" or something? :v:

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
The news totally does do that though. Today at dinner they did a "coming up, we'll tell you why mac n cheese is being recalled" or whatever and went to commercials.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Zaphod42 posted:

I forgot news stations constantly spoil you about what they're going to do next.

"We're going to tell you the secret identity of Batman...... but first, lets talk about the weather and go to commercial!"

They do, though? Like, every single commercial break they do this. Have you never watched any news broadcast ever?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Light Gun Man posted:

The news totally does do that though. Today at dinner they did a "coming up, we'll tell you why mac n cheese is being recalled" or whatever and went to commercials.

I wasn't being ironic or sarcastic. I was saying literally "seriously, I forgot, but yes they do that. Good point."

Lottery of Babylon posted:

They do, though? Like, every single commercial break they do this. Have you never watched any news broadcast ever?

Holy poo poo you guys there was no sarcasm in that post.

The first part was a concession "Oh, I forgot they do that, you're right."

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Zaphod42 posted:

I wasn't being ironic or sarcastic. I was saying literally "seriously, I forgot, but yes they do that. Good point."

Holy poo poo you guys there was no sarcasm in that post.

The first part was a concession "Oh, I forgot they do that, you're right."

What is this, some kind of meta-sarcasm?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Guess I've got brain problems!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Zaphod42 posted:

but still, he's watching the show and then they get a call on the phone, and that's when he chooses to go "Jim! This part!", how does he know its not just some old lady saying "I don't think you should tell people who batman is" or something? :v:

He calls him over before the presenter says they're taking a call, and the visual up on the screen when he calls over Jim is a big headline saying,"The true identity of Batman revealed" - the phonecall is incidental to him calling Jim over, and happens AFTER he does so.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

thespaceinvader posted:

I always thought that was kind of the point of the way that scene was shot - it shows just how little of a poo poo the joker (and I guess, his point would also be, society) gives about burning a dude alive in a truly horrible way, to not focus on it *at all* and instead have the camera, and the mobsters, all focus on the fact that he's burning the money.

Same with the mob boss he feeds to his own dogs right after. The message is that the Joker wont give a poo poo about killing you unless you wear a cape and mask.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Grendels Dad posted:

Same with the mob boss he feeds to his own dogs right after. The message is that the Joker wont give a poo poo about killing you unless you wear a cape and mask.

That¡s because the mask keeps Batman's chakras intact, and so his cosmic energy does not escape. The Joker therefore sees him as the only real opponent.

This is how I interpret it.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

His mouth is the one unprotected area of his whole body, though. If Joker gets at him, his chakra is toast.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

This chakra-based reading of Batman is really growing on me.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

My Lovely Horse posted:

His mouth is the one unprotected area of his whole body, though. If Joker gets at him, his chakra is toast.

You're wrong, but that's a common rookie mistake.

The opening in his mask does not let his energy out, IT ACTUALLY LETS OTHER ENERGY IN.

What you think is weakening the Batman is actually making him stronger, that is why he can't be defeated.

EDIT: HAHAHA, holy poo poo

http://www.ign.com/articles/2006/07/21/comic-con-2006-the-seven-spiritual-laws-of-superheroes

quote:

The seven chakras can also be linked to the idea of seven gods, a theme that clearly parallels the seven main characters of the JLA.

"Look at the JLA," Morrison said. "They all map on the chakras. Batman is a human being of ultimate power [and intention.] Flash is communication. Superman is about giving selflessly; He represents the sun. He is that thing that loves us unconditionally."

He added later that "Batman is like Christ harrowing Hell, because only he can withstand it. He endures everything for us. Batman is a character who was almost brought to the brink of his destruction," but who persevered. Batman is our shadow and "we have to look at the shadow and integrate the shadow [into our consciousness]."

And "yeah," Morrison admitted, Seven soldiers is an allegory to seven gods. "Mr. Miracle is the transcendent character," the seventh Chakra.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

I think I saw this on South Park a few years ago.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I knew Morrison was guaranteed to have said something about this somewhere as soon as the chakra stuff started. :allears:

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I remember Morrison drunkenly talking about sigils and how to get whatever you wanted through sigil magik but he went way off track talking about McDonalds or something.

TEACH ME YOUR ONE WEIRD SIGIL TRICK, MORRISON!

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Okay, at the beginning of Jurassic Park Sam Neill is explaining to a skeptical group of people his reasoning for postulating that dinosaurs have more in common with modern birds than with reptiles. He goes through two or three examples, one of them being the pubic bone turned backward, and then he ends with "Even the word 'raptor' means 'bird of prey'" which makes NO loving sense. Human beings decided to name that species of dinosaur "raptor" how the hell would that prove that they're related to birds?

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Because people thought they looked similar to birds.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Okay, at the beginning of Jurassic Park Sam Neill is explaining to a skeptical group of people his reasoning for postulating that dinosaurs have more in common with modern birds than with reptiles. He goes through two or three examples, one of them being the pubic bone turned backward, and then he ends with "Even the word 'raptor' means 'bird of prey'" which makes NO loving sense. Human beings decided to name that species of dinosaur "raptor" how the hell would that prove that they're related to birds?

Because it means scientists already noted the similarities previously?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I thought the whole point was that the theory of dinosaurs and birds being related, rather than reptiles, was fairly new at the time. Weren't raptors discovered and named back in the 20s?

EDIT: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Velociraptor

"This name is derived from the Latin words velox ('swift') and raptor ('robber' or 'plunderer') and refers to the animal's cursorial nature and carnivorous diet."

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Captain Monkey posted:

Because it means scientists already noted the similarities previously?

Yeah but then you're pretty much saying "Look, they're similar to birds, because scientists said so, okay?"

Yeah, but why? If the scientists had a reason to think that, just say the reason instead :v:

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I thought the whole point was that the theory of dinosaurs and birds being related, rather than reptiles, was fairly new at the time. Weren't raptors discovered and named back in the 20s?

EDIT: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Velociraptor

"This name is derived from the Latin words velox ('swift') and raptor ('robber' or 'plunderer') and refers to the animal's cursorial nature and carnivorous diet."

So in other words, not only was his explanation shaky, its premise was wrong because "raptor" doesn't mean "bird of prey" unless you're using it to refer to birds of prey.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

So in other words, not only was his explanation shaky, its premise was wrong because "raptor" doesn't mean "bird of prey" unless you're using it to refer to birds of prey.

Exactly. So even dumber than I originally thought.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

All beasts were named by Adam in the Garden of Eden, thus birds and dinosaurs share names as they are siblings in creation. Duh :rolleyes:

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

In Independence Day will smiths copilot friend has like 5 minutes of screen time but it feels like he just repeats "big daddy" over and over.

This is the only thing wrong in Indepence Day. :colbert:

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

ChogsEnhour posted:

I remember Morrison drunkenly talking about sigils and how to get whatever you wanted through sigil magik but he went way off track talking about McDonalds or something.

TEACH ME YOUR ONE WEIRD SIGIL TRICK, MORRISON!
You draw a bunch of silly crap on a piece of paper, then you jerk off on it.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Gotta charge up them crystals man.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

oldpainless posted:

In Independence Day will smiths copilot friend has like 5 minutes of screen time but it feels like he just repeats "big daddy" over and over.

This is the only thing wrong in Indepence Day. :colbert:

Independence Day is Irrationally Irritating for being so drat good that no other alien invasion movie will ever live up

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

Byzantine posted:

Independence Day is Irrationally Irritating for being so drat good that no other alien invasion movie will ever live up

Life, uh, finds a way

through this USB 1.0 connection

I have to watch it again. The above is not a slight to the movie at all, btw.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

mng posted:

Life, uh, finds a way

through this USB 1.0 connection

I have to watch it again. The above is not a slight to the movie at all, btw.

If you want to, you can totally that bit of hacking to yourself by saying something like, "we only have computers because we reverse-engineered alien technology therefore our tech is actually more compatible with theirs than you'd think".

If you want to, go ahead and do that. I, personally, would much rather just watch a near-perfect alien invasion movie and drink a beer. Independence Day is loving great.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

It's a Universal Serial Bus. Of course the alien ships have them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

The first half of independence day is great. After that it just goes down hill