Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Suspicious Cook posted:

You've used up all your jumps for today, Mario! Your legs will recharge in 23:59 or you can instantly power up with a Super Mushroom! Purchase now!

It's an entire day because he's fat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

greatn posted:

Square is just throwing up SNES and DS ports for the most part aren't they?

Mobile ports aside, Square has actually done a lot of good stuff for mobile, including FF Dimensions (which was FFV 2.0 before Bravely Default came around), the entire Chaos Rings series (which is ironically getting ported back to Vita), and they've got a couple new things coming like Final Fantasy Mevius. And to their credit, they actually price their games like...well, games, instead of the app store's usual race to the bottom on pricing.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Strange Matter posted:

Which would encourage the players to buy the actual, good console/handheld games?

the type of people that play mobile games do not give a poo poo about real games because if they did they wouldnt be playing mobile games

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
It is consistently amazing to me how bad mobile games are. I am sort of impressed that nobody has even accidentally been able to make one worth playing.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Lemming posted:

It is consistently amazing to me how bad mobile games are. I am sort of impressed that nobody has even accidentally been able to make one worth playing.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]
All I hope for is that that one dumbass's hope for "paying 99 cents to make Mario jump higher" doesn't happen and to Nintendo's credit it doesn't sound like it will, but there's always a little :ohdear: inside

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
There are a lot of very good mobile games, the problem is that there are many, many, many more lovely worthless ones and itunes/amazon market/google play store have no real curated content. It's a battle of mindshare, the games lucky enough to be featured become popular and stay popular becuase they're listed. Smaller games have little to no chance unless there's a lot of word of mouth going around and that's a really flimsy thing to build a company around.

At least with Nintendo they have ways to advertise and build awareness so their games stand a chance of not releasing and being immediately drowned out by the other 75 games releasing the same day.

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Wild Knight posted:

All I hope for is that that one dumbass's hope for "paying 99 cents to make Mario jump higher" doesn't happen and to Nintendo's credit it doesn't sound like it will, but there's always a little :ohdear: inside

Most people said we'd never see mario games on the App Store but here we are. I also never thought they'd do something like a season pass but they did on mario golf. The Nintendo mobile games are going to have pay to win features since I doubt many people are going to want to pay $34.99 upfront for a mobile phone game.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I would dig a mobile version of Dillons Rollin western or something

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

eric posted:

Most people said we'd never see mario games on the App Store but here we are. I also never thought they'd do something like a season pass but they did on mario golf. The Nintendo mobile games are going to have pay to win features since I doubt many people are going to want to pay $34.99 upfront for a mobile phone game.

Nintendo probably has the most worthwhile season passes/DLC I have ever seen, really. I trust them.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Lemming posted:

Super Hexagon is the best.

Wild Knight posted:

I've heard Pokemon Shuffle is pretty bad about it but haven't tried it myself yet.

Rusty's Real Deal Baseball owned though, I'd be down for more Rusty sports games.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
At the very least, Nintendo's mobile efforts can't be any worse than Sony or Microsoft's:

Metroid: Other 3M™ Marine Adhesive Sealant 5200

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
For the amount of effort though, they could just drop Super Mario Bros. 1 for $10 and make $$$$$. Just having a $10 game that has the official Mario SOUNDS in it would be a huge deal.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

In non-smartphone news, Klonoa 2 (GBA) is this week's VC game

http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/f_AoOz-kCvxKydSmNa7OVCsW2mIqcCuH

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

japtor posted:

I've heard Pokemon Shuffle is pretty bad about it but haven't tried it myself yet.

You can 100% Pokemon Shuffle without spending any money.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

abagofcheetos posted:

the type of people that play mobile games do not give a poo poo about real games because if they did they wouldnt be playing mobile games

It's a chicken and egg situation. You own a smartphone and presumably you like "real" games, you would be the potential audience for a "real" mobile game.

There's no reason mobile games have to be f2p garbage though. Pokemon is actually great to have on a phone, doesn't require tactile controls at all and works well with a "play it for a few minutes when you have some downtime, then sleep it and come back to it whenever" style. Yeah Nintendo could adapt a "Pay $1 for a master ball" model but there's nothing about the platform that requires that, they could implement that in DS games easily enough (see pokemon shuffle).

Tender Bender fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Mar 18, 2015

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I think people would be thrilled to get some smartphone ports of certain games, but did they say they weren't doing that at one point or another in the whole NX announcement? i din't exactly catch it all.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Monkey Fracas posted:

I think people would be thrilled to get some smartphone ports of certain games, but did they say they weren't doing that at one point or another in the whole NX announcement? i din't exactly catch it all.

they aren't doing ports

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Mercury Crusader posted:

At the very least, Nintendo's mobile efforts can't be any worse than Sony or Microsoft's:

Yes they easily can.
In fact Nintendo is now with the same company Sony was using for their mobile ventures until 2013.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
They are focusing on original content, not ports. That include some remakes though as some games Nintendo has are basically touchscreen only anyway.

So like, they aren't going to toss up Spirit Tracks for $15 and call it a god drat day. They'd probably put up some original thing with similar gameplay, Link's Courage Quest, with a new challenge room each day, where you can pay to instead unlock the whole game at once.

And instead of just Donkey Kong Country, three would probably be something like a barrel launch challenge where you have to arrange the barrels properly and tap with good timing to launch Donkey Kong to the goal.

DrPaper posted:

Yes they easily can.
In fact Nintendo is now with the same company Sony was using for their mobile ventures until 2013.

Nintendo will be responsible for the actual game development though.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

codenameFANGIO posted:

Nintendo probably has the most worthwhile season passes/DLC I have ever seen, really. I trust them.

There's nothing their Season passes have done to set them apart from almost every other companies Season Passes, so I don't really get what you're saying.

Suspicious Cook posted:

You've used up all your jumps for today, Mario! Your legs will recharge in 23:59 or you can instantly power up with a Super Mushroom! Purchase now!

That's pretty much what Pokemon Shuffle already is.

A Big... Dog
Mar 25, 2013

HELLO DAD

Pokemon Shuffle is good if you treat it like Animal Crossing - dip in every now and again. Plus it can be bastard hard.

Nintendo are amazing but this is TOO SOON YALL

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

DrPaper posted:

There's nothing their Season passes have done to set them apart from almost every other companies Season Passes, so I don't really get what you're saying.

Nintendo's DLC is much more substantial than pretty much anyone else's, and the base game doesn't feel gutted because of the existence of DLC.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

jivjov posted:

Nintendo's DLC is much more substantial than pretty much anyone else's, and the base game doesn't feel gutted because of the existence of DLC.

Maybe to blatant negative examples of DLC like in franchises such as Call of Duty, but tons of games release DLC content on par with the "substantial" additions Nintendo has added such as retro courses and new character models for Mario Golf and Kart.

Then you have really unsubstantial grindy poo poo like in Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, or buying all of your favorite Fire Emblem characters with clashing art styles and reusing models.

Hyrule Warriors DLC is pretty much on par with Tecmo-Koei's other DLC ventures in Musou games, only there's alot less of it.

There's nothing that really sets Nintendo's early ventures into DLC above or below most games. The only difference is you really like Nintendo, and therefore see more value in being able to play as Toadette in Mario Golf and Dry Bowser in Mario Kart.

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Confirm your $4.99 purchase for 250 rupees.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

DrPaper posted:

Maybe to blatant negative examples of DLC like in franchises such as Call of Duty, but tons of games release DLC content on par with the "substantial" additions Nintendo has added such as retro courses and new character models for Mario Golf and Kart.

Then you have really unsubstantial grindy poo poo like in Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, or buying all of your favorite Fire Emblem characters with clashing art styles and reusing models.

Hyrule Warriors DLC is pretty much on par with Tecmo-Koei's other DLC ventures in Musou games, only there's alot less of it.

There's nothing that really sets Nintendo's early ventures into DLC above or below most games. The only difference is you really like Nintendo, and therefore see more value in being able to play as Toadette in Mario Golf and Dry Bowser in Mario Kart.

LOL!

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

Quest For Glory II posted:

In non-smartphone news, Klonoa 2 (GBA) is this week's VC game

http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/f_AoOz-kCvxKydSmNa7OVCsW2mIqcCuH

This is a good and cool puzzle platformer game and I like it and I 100%'d it back in the day. I won't buy it though.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

greatn posted:

And instead of just Donkey Kong Country, three would probably be something like a barrel launch challenge where you have to arrange the barrels properly and tap with good timing to launch Donkey Kong to the goal.

They could just take the "Land-a-Panda" iOS game and re-skin it with DKC and make a dick load of money off of that.

DrPaper posted:

$12 for 16 more extremely well crafted course, essentially adding another 50% of the game for 20% of the price, while other DLC and season passes add like 20% extra game for 50% of the price, and those are the GOOD ones.

Most of the time when you buy DLC for Nintendo games, you feel like you're getting almost another game for an add-on price, whereas most DLC from everyone else feels like an add-on for a price that should be a full game.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Mercury Crusader posted:

Run Sackboy Run is a really good endless runner game. There are paid power ups, but you can also spend in game currency on them and not drop any real money on it. And all they really do is let you get a higher score anyway...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6kXFR6UYhk

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Endless runner games are all really bad, though.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Lemming posted:

What if it is a Balloon Fight endless runner?

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Lemming posted:

Bit.trip.runner is awesome.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Bit.trip.runner is awesome.

It's also not an endless runner.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

DrPaper posted:

I would really like to hear what games you think have DLC on par with the stuff in Mario Kart and Mario Golf.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Lemming posted:

I'm with you on this. I can't stand endless runners any more. I feel like most mobile games are like McDonalds, drugs and gambling. They take advantage of the most basic human reward stimuli in an addictive but unfulfilling way. They are basically the gaming equivalent of a red light district.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Fawf posted:

It's also not an endless runner.

I'd say it is but whatever, the point is there are good games in any genre.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I'd say it is but whatever, the point is there are good games in any genre.

It has set levels. With endings. They end.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

DrPaper posted:

You're dumb dude. Dumb as heck.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Fremry posted:

I feel like most mobile games are like McDonalds, drugs and gambling. They take advantage of the most basic human reward stimuli in an addictive but unfulfilling way. They are basically the gaming equivalent of a red light district.

This isn't limited to mobile games, just about every online-focused game nowadays is about getting the player addicted to a payout cycle. Everyone who plays Destiny seems to actively despise the game, and yet they can't stop pouring 8 hours a day into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

DrPaper posted:

I see the Mario Kart DLC as above par - they increase the number of tracks in the game by 50% in addition to adding more characters for only $12. Another studio would either sell that much content as an expansion for a lot more money or nickel-and-dime you for everything in it.

Half of the tracks are brand new and the other half are "retro" only in the sense that a similar track with the same name was in a prior game - they put a shitload of work into bringing them up to modern standards. You make it sound like they lazily drop assets from Double Dash or MKWii directly into 8.

• Locked thread